Blue Ridge Summit, PENNSYLVANIA
Most Recent Blue Ridge Summit Camping Reviews

Great campground

My family loves this camp ground. It’s conveniently located, it’s quite, it’s beautiful and there is plenty to do to keep the kids busy.

Halfway point on Appalachian

Nice wooded state park close to a nice lake

Close to Baltimore...

The place was nice, lots for kids to do, plenty if shaded spots! Nice pool… they even allowed us to store the camper while we took a cruise out of Baltimore!

Beautiful park next to a lake, camping, boating, swimming, fishing...great

If tenting, be sure to check tent on reservation request. Some spots are too narrow for tenting. Cabins are mainly across lake from campground. Only 2 yurts. Two day use areas. Two swimming areas- one for day use, one just for campers!

Awesome

Great spot. Nice creek with ducks. Close to battlefield.

Favorite Local KOA

My go-to weekend KOA getaway! They should give frequent visitor rewards. 😀 I love this KOA. People are always so friendly and neighborly. Living in DC, this takes 1 hour to get to, and it is the closest I can get to experiencing a “real” camping experience. Meaning, you’re deep in the woods, smells of campfires, kids biking around, large groups of friends and family; yet, you have all of the amenities of a KOA resort. Excellent campground for kids, too. Lots to do and special events all of the time. It’s a huge campground, so there is a place for everyone: large rv’s with patios away from the woods, then everyone else gets to be in the woods. Beautiful cabins throughout the campground. The tent areas are awesome. Highly recommend!

Great local bargain getaway

For a quick getaway that isn't far, Little Bennett is a great campground.

The staff is very helpful (they were great about helping me aid a lost 6 year old in finding his father).  They've got nice hiking trails, an adequate camp store (with a milkshake machine), a jumping pillow and other activities for kids. They even do outdoor movies.

The campground is easily accessible in case you need to run out for forgotten supplies. Campsites are spacious and bathrooms, etc. are nearby.

Perfect for anyone, especially families.

Ranger Review: Ben Franklin RV Park

Some mobile homes and a lot of pipeline workers staying here. The only spots available were electric and were super tight with no landscaping etc. We had to be careful to ensure our slide outs wouldn’t hit the electric boxes. Bathhouse ventilation was lacking, so smelled musty even though it was clean. Cell coverage was good (att & Verizon), so we had no issues working. Good location to head into the Amish country, Harrisburg, Hershey and/or Gettysburg. We also drove out to Baltimore one day during our stay. If you’re just looking for a launch pad for adventures, this place will work fine. If you’re wanting to hang at the campground, I wouldn’t stay here.

Love this place

I was invited by a few friends to stay here with then and I absolutely enjoyed myself. They are one of the first parks I have visited (there haven't been many) that has had electric car charging stations! Easy way to stay charged and "unplug" from the daily bustle of life.

Really loved going to Gettysburg..

This campground worked out perfectly..so close to the battlefields. It was only for the weekend but we really enjoyed our stay.

Beautiful campground

Roads are narrow, but the sites are large and and level. The lake is nice and they stock it with trout. The animal area could stand a good cleaning, but my little one enjoyed them. Lots of activities and the staff was very friendly.

Rainy but waterless

Nice park. Some of our "neighbors" were too loud late into the evening. Could have sworn that the website said our site had water and electric. But, it only had electric. We made the best of the weekend despite it raining for most of it and having no water. (We didn't fill our fresh water tank because we thought the site had water.) Bath house facilities were clean.

A camping resort with a fantastic location!

This was our first stay at a KOA. We had previously stayed away because although we are glampers, this seemed too much like a resort and less like camping. And although this is true, we were pleasantly surprised with the conditions of the campground and how much fun we had here. First, the grounds are kept in great shape. The roads were freshly paved, the grass/trees trimmed, and the grounds clear of trash. We got lucky and got an end site despite arriving without a reservation. To top it all off, we got there during get one free sale and ended up paying less for a site here than at the less attractive Harper's Ferry campground. You can divide up the ground into two locations, the big-rig park with no trees and the smaller-rig area in the woods. We have a 34' travel trailer and although the site was narrow, it was easily long enough to fit our needs. If we hadn't had an end spot, I would have felt a little crowded with my next door neighbor, but that's KOA. The amenities for kids were incredible, with arts/crafts, a movie theatre, an arcade, nice playground, and jumping pillow. The pool looked like something out of the dark swamp, but it was early in the season and gated off, so I didn't think about it much. For adults they had wine tastings and a coffee shop open on the weekend. I felt so pampered.  The best part about this site is the location. We could walk or easily drive to Harper's Ferry NP visitor center, from where we could take a bus into downtown (if you didn't want to hunt for parking in town). Harper's Ferry is a cute little historic town and the hiking is amazing, being right on the Appalachian Trail. A few more tidbits - the store was well-stocked and not too expensive, bathroom/shower facilities were clean and plentiful, laundry worked and was average price. Would stay here again and recommend to others.

Beautiful location, ugly campground

I am not a fan of writing bad reviews. I really wanted to love this campground. Its location on the Potomac River was beautiful and it had a dirt road leading off to the east that begged to be biked or walked into town. However, that's where the praise stops. This campground is operated by River Runners, a local rafting company, who uses it for their ziplining and put-in/take-out location. We had reserved and received a site along the river (water and electric). The drive out there was circuitous and narrow due the necessity to go around the railroad tracks, which runs adjacent to the campground (we needed to do this because we had a 34' travel trailer - tent campers can squeeze through the narrow bridge. The road through the campground was pitted and muddy. The sites small and dirty (trash, mud, etc) and marked off by two posts with a wire running across the entrance. We were located next to the portable trailer bathroom and after setting up I went to go use the facilities. I couldn't, because all three toliets were clogged with toliet paper and feces. There was toliet paper and poop pouring out onto the floor in some places and (as you can imagine) smelled horrible. One of the reasons it was this way was that the water was turned off to the trailer. I turned it on and found that the reason it was turned off was because it ran constantly in the toliet bowls, hence the overflow. I called the office to report the problem and they said they would send out the camp host. 30 minutes later, and he still wasn't there. At this point we had had enough and wanted out. The office worked with me to refund less than half of my reservation, even though the reason I stated was due to their unsanitary conditions at their site. This could be a great location if it was taken care of more. But as it was, I was glad to leave.

Comfortable and well-run

Several different camping areas with about 150 places. We had a good site near the showers. Well looked after and plenty to do for our 5 year old with evening activities. Picnic bench, fireplace, gravel camp area. Near to the falls though I think walking from the campsite would have been tough with the kid.

Beautiful grounds and manicured sites

Only reason for 4 and not 5 stars is the proximity of the sites to one another … but if you can get good neighbors, no neighbors, or the right site, this park is a perfect escape. We had a terrific time; lots of green canopy kept us cool in the summertime.

Walking the grounds and visiting the camp host to buy firewood (fill up the crates and be sure to add some extra) was extremely pleasant, and to date I think this was the cleanest (no trash on the ground) site I've visited.

You can hear the din of traffic (after all, route 40 is right there) but considering your proximity to Walmarts and Subways, aside from that noise you might forget how close you are to civilization. Relatively dense vegetation and hills offer you that simulation of escape.

Nice hikes, convenient, so-so grounds

First off, this park is extremely convenient to get to. So considering that convenience, the downsides may be a worthy trade-off … it's still trees and trails and wonderful. For example, this site was an excellent meeting place for me and a friend coming from DC and Baltimore - right between us, and just off the highway.

Some very nice stretches of trails, and were empty as I saw them. Though they do cross over major roads.

Site host and ranger came by - and were very nice - though all things considered I like parks when you don't really see anyone.

Sites offer almost no seclusion or oneness with nature. I believe we got the most secluded site (site 16, and thank you to the other reviewer for the heads up) but still very exposed to neighbors and roads.

We Return Regularly

Love the surrounding area. The camp store is one of the best. We have attended Holloween event several years and it’s so much fun with decorating contests and trick or treating!

Great for Car Camping

We stayed in the Bear Branch Loop of the William Houch Camping Area.  This is a lovely area if you're a beginner camper or just looking for the glamping experience.  The sites are small and not very private but are well defined.  It's very clear where to park, set up the tent etc.  The park itself is very scenic with nice hiking trails and a lake to enjoy.  I was there in the fall so didn't go out on the water but can imagine it would be popular during the warmer months.

Secluded and comfortable

Overview: we really enjoyed this private farm campground. We stayed at site 1 of two sites. Per their policies each sure can accommodate 12 campers. The fire pit area and port-a-potty were both very clean and you can tell that they are taken care of well. You are able to drive right up to the camp area and we kept our car right next to our tent. There are nearby chickens, geese and pigs.

Host: our friends arrived prior to us and were greeted by the host. They said he was friendly and explained everything well and even had firewood already set up at the store that has been purchased by the previous campers. I thought this was incredibly nice considering they didn't have to leave the wood there for us.

Site: the sites are both grassy, level and well maintained. Both are easy to get to, although I wouldn't recommend attempting to drive to either in a small car. Site 1 is closer to the house, animals, potty and other buildings on the property. The fire pit area is clean and is surrounded by trees. Site 2 is more isolated but is still pretty close in distance to the animals, home and structures. However it is separated by a line of trees and you are camping more in a field.  We choose site 1 die to its proximity to the bathroom and picnic tables because we were camping with small kids.

Bathroom: the bathroom is a port-a-potty and was cleaned right before our arrival. Several reviews I read mentioned that it was the cleanest port-a-potty they had ever seen and they were correct. It is surrounded by a privacy fence which was nice. It was relatively close to the site and was stocked with plenty of toilet paper and included hand sanitizer.

PROS:

Secluded

You have the entire site to yourself

Two options for camping with bathroom nearby

Nice hiking trails with varying lengths, easy to hike even for a 3 year old

CONS:

If you are a light sleeper the geese, rooster or planes may keep you awake

We did find a snake skin, but you are out in nature

The structures didn't give the best view, but you can always choose to face away from them or use site 2

Would definitely stay here again.

It was a great time on the river!

Stayed here with a bunch of buddies, it seemed pricey at first but ended up being about $20 per person, which wasn’t bad at all! The campsite is huge. We spent our time fishing the river banks right outside our tents and kayaking on the Susquehanna to fish the warm waters. We caught a ton of catfish and carp using live bait. It was a great time at the river!

Love this place!

This is a great little campground with lots of electric sites and nice, updated bathrooms. It’s at the midpoint of the Appalachian Trail so there are lots of great hikes as well as a nice path between the two lakes. Our new favorite in Pennsylvania!

Not impressed

While the area is beautiful, we were not impressed with the campground. We have a small 19” travel trailer which was almost impossible to park due to very tight sites. Sites are almost on top of each other - we had a group of people with tents next to us that were basically on top of us. Not their fault…it was the size of the sites. Staff was not very helpful at checkin. It was relaxing being away but won’t be back. We did hear that they are remodeling campground so hopefully they provide more room for the sites

Great Campground

This is our second time to this campground and our first in a new RV. Campground is very close to the Baltimore beltway and basically in a neighborhood but you feel like you are farther from things. Bathroom is clean and camp hosts are very friendly. Campsites are fairly close together but not right on top of each other. Lots of good hiking trails can be accessed from the campsite as well as a nice playground for the kids. One drawback is that the spot to check in is a little tricky to find and not very well marked. Overall we had a great visit and will be back.

Beautiful and cozy

It rained most of the weekend, but we still had a blast! The trail to the lake is accessible but far enough that you avoid the high day use traffic. The campsites have trees and some privacy.

Great place!!!

Really loved this campground! Had a blast with my family here on a family reunion trip. Here are a few things I loved about this place:

1. Hiking- some gorgeous hikes nearby!! The views are amazing, and the trails are in great condition. My pup loved these hikes, too!

2. Campsite is clean! Nothing makes me happier than a clean campsite. There are dumpsters where you can dump your trash which I think helps a ton! There is also a picnic table and fire ring. We enjoyed making s’mores at night and sitting around the campsite! Also the campsite spots are well separated. We didn’t feel like we were right on top of each other.

3. Biking trail- we brought our mountain bikes and enjoyed some great biking with the family and dog!

4. Road was great to the campsite. We have been to a few campgrounds where the road leading to the place is horrible and needs high clearance. This wasn’t the case.

If you go during the summer, definitely bring bug spray. We had some and used the whole bottle because the mosquitos were so bad!!