the dyrt
Blue Ridge Summit, PENNSYLVANIA
Most Recent Blue Ridge Summit Camping Reviews
Honeymoon July 1999

We chose to go camping here for our honeymoon. The campground offered a lot of hiking trails and swimming. Our campsite wasn't very well maintained as it had a lot of rocks throughout and didn't make for comfortable sleeping. The fire ring to use for the evening to sit at wasn't well kept and we were afraid a fire wouldn't stay well in the ring. We didn't use the amenities that were offered as we mainly used the campground as a place to rest our heads and breakfast as we were doing a lot of touring of Gettysburg.

Best Gettysburg Stay

We are local and love going to Granite Hill for our spring and fall trips. They have friendly staff members that help make your stay pleasant. We live the B section, but there are other great spots, too. Hands-down, this is the best campground in Gettysburg.

Camping Trip

Not a bad camping trip. We stayed in a tent site with electric. It was pretty crowded. The sites were pretty close together and covered in rocks but level. It wasn't our favorite spot/site but there were a lot of things to do in the park! The young kids really enjoyed the playground and beach.

A Fantastic Campsite for River Recreation

Our favorite place to put in our kayaks, throw a line in and hang up our hammocks. We usually plan to go camping with 1-2 other families to split the rates for longer stays at the campsite. We bring two 5 gallon collapsible water containers and separate drinking water. When we stay longer we bring a solar shower bag full of water as well for showering.

Think of the campsite like a permanent dispersed camping site and you will be prepared. There are some amenities that make staying here easy, like a camp kitchen area with food prep area separate from the picnic table and solar bag compatible camp shower area but it is a rustic experience overall.

Great trails

Well maintained park

Fun fun!

Love going here with family and friends.

Love it!

Great place to go fishing!

Excellent

Perfect place for a family camping trip.

Birch Run Appalachian Trail Shelter

Great spot located in a wooded area. Fresh flowing water in the front with an incline from beside & behind the shelter. There’s a newer built privy up hill. And the shelter is located between Quarry Gap & Tom’s Run.

Very nice and beautiful park!

Not only is it a beautiful area hike through or to tent in but there’s many interesting and historical spots located throughout Michaux Forest that are within hiking distance.

Avoid in summer!!

This place is packed with history, but amid going in summer.. it gets to busy and hot to see much.

Great park, easy hike.

Come prepared with all essentials

Great spot in PA

Very wooded and clean State Park. There is an Appalachian Trail Museum, tons of wildlife and a nice General Store here to see. Campsites were very private, and we met two of the greatest people and fellow campers ever! If traveling in an RV you will need to fill your fresh water tank as each site does not have water hook up. The cell service is “spotty” as they state on their website, but hey you are camping.

Great Kayaking

Roland Lake in Baltimore County is a great place to kayak on the Patapsco River. Tons of wildlife, facilities, and amenities for you and your family. The park was clean and it had knowledgable staff.

great place to stop on the AT

I only stopped here for a night while I was hiking the AT, but it was a welcome relief to get to a spot where I could wash off and have indoor plumbing for a night. The sites are nice, but seemed pretty close together. As far as campgrounds on the AT go, this is one of the nicer ones. The place also has fresh drinking water, another welcome site while on the AT.

All around great AT campground!

really cool place in an awesome town

Harper's Ferry is a little town in WV nestled right next to the Potomac River. It's also a convenient halfwayish point on the Appalachian Trail. One of my friends and I stayed here while we were section hiking the AT. The campground is pretty nice, with cabins, tent sites, and RV sites. It's also got a lot of extra activities that you can do. Zip lining, tubing, rafting the Potomac, and even an adventure park, you name it. You definitely won't be bored wile staying at this campground.

Harper's Ferry is a pretty neat place too. There are some great restaurants, cool shops, and make sure to make a stop at the AT Conservatory. There you can see cool pictures of all the people who have through hiked the AT and learn more about it.

Speaking of the AT, there are great hiking and biking trails right around Harper's Ferry. You can even say you hiked all the way to Virginia from West Virginia. Just don't tell anyone that Harper's Ferry is right on the border.

Lots of space

Spent 2 nights at Gettysburg KOA in July while touring Pennsylvania with granddaughter. Very convenient to historical stuff. Large sites, separated by rocks and trees. Quiet and private. It is a KOA, so was pleasantly surprised.

Harpers ferry hike

The hike that leads to the lookout about harpers ferry was fantastic. This hike takes you well above the town settled in West Virginia. While some points are pretty steep don’t let this deter you from completing it. The trail is well maintained, marked, and exciting. It is filled with tons of history and when you walk across the bridge from the town be looking out for all the locks on the bridge that have been left behind by other avid hikers

Patapsco valley state park

This park has a wide range of activities for kids. The hike I did was not very long but was well worth it. The trail was well marked but there was some confusion at one point on where we were suppose to go. Luckily I had an app that kept me on trail. There are some pretty cool Bridges, old houses, and a water fall. I recommend this to any beginner hikers.

Pretty waterfall and good stop from Camp David

This is a great place to stop in that it is close to Camp David (historically presidential location). Make sure to drive slowly, as the road to get there is very curvy and somewhat steep grade (if driving eastbound. Recommend using fog lights.

Easily accessible from freeway

The Seneca Creek State Park is convenient, peaceful, clean, and a great place to unwind from the hustle and bustle of the city without having to drive far. Highly recommended!

Large, pretty park in a very convenient location

Site Details: We stayed in the Dragonfly camping cottage (quick weekend trip without the husband, and I’m not quite up for towing and setting up the popup by myself with 3 kids!). It was a standard rustic-type state park cabin, with one double bed, one single twin bunk, and one regular set of bunk beds, so it sleeps 5-6 comfortably. There was also a sturdy dining room table with chairs and an oscillating fan inside. Electricity/lights and heat, but no AC. Very clean inside. The cabin also had a really nice front porch, picnic table, and fire ring, and was situated with a beautiful lake view. The area we were in contained both rustic cabins and yurts (which looked really neat).

Facilities/Overall Park: Multiple bath houses were scattered among various loops, and each one we visited was very old, dim and drab, but they were also spacious and reasonably clean. Showers all had old rust and water stains. However, it was nice that there were so many of them, because this is a very large state park with multiple camping loops. Most tent and basic RV sites were shaded and private, while the newer FHU sites were more open (but still nicely spaced). Hosts and rangers were nice, but not very helpful or proactive when they needed to correct a reservation mistake they made (but it worked out in the end). There is a beautiful lake with a really nice day area in the center of the park, with a great playground and concession stand. The lake is popular for fishing and swimming, although there is oddly no sand beach; swimmers just entered the water straight from the grass.

Surrounding Area/Attractions: Not much going on in the immediate vicinity, but Harrisburg, Amish country, and Hershey are all doable day trips from the park. We were here just for the Hershey RV show, and it was an easy 40-minute drive.

Overall, this was a very pretty park with site options for every type of camper, but certain elements are in need of updating. I don’t think I’d go out of my way to make this park a destination, but it’s a nice option as a base camp for visiting the RV show or other attractions (with a much cheaper price tag than the private CGs closer to the action).

Riverside!

Gorgeous spot on the river. Small campground with not a lot of amenities BUT THAT RIVER IS GORGEOUS. Lots of activities - tubing, zip lining, fishing.

Great if you don’t want to travel far

We were at site 430. It was a perfect spot tucked away from the others and a short walk to the restrooms. You can purchase firewood from the camp hosts nearby as well. The fire pit at this site was a little difficult to cook with because the grate was very high and could not be lowered. Overall we had a great time exploring the park especially the nearby railroad track. Would visit again.

Lots of family fun.

We have stayed in the camping cabins here multiple times. We love the animals and activities for the kids. Fall is the best at this campground with the trick or treating and haunted house.

Beautiful campground!

Smaller campground, but big on amenities!

Staff was friendly, attentive and the Campground is extremely well-cared for. Sites vary in sizes and are well-defined. They have a great camp store and their mini-golf was just remodeled and a lot of fun to play. In addition to that, there is a bounce pad, shuffle board, horseshoes, chess, over-sized jenga, playground, dog park, gem mining, basketball, bikes, wood, propane, etc. and they pick up trash daily right at your site. All of this in a beautiful wooded spot near Gettysburg.

I highly recommend!

Gettysburg Getaway

Very fun family friendly getaway for the weekend. Close to Gettysburg Battleground.

Great campground by Gettysburg

Great campground within walking distance of Gettysburg

Camping in the Catoctins

My wife and I decided one Saturday morning and came across Owens Creek online. They had reservations available and I jumped on the chance and reserved a spot. Forty-five minutes later, my wife and I packed the car and grabbed the dog and headed out the door. An hour and a half later we were in the mountains and pulling up to a very pretty campground. We quickly found our spot and set up camp. After setting up camp, we went for a walk along the creek and played in the water. We had a great trip. The campsites were spread out enough to give each site its privacy yet not separated too far. I would thoroughly recommend this campground to anyone who has the chance and we look forward to the chance to go back.

Another FREE Campsite!!!

Sometimes big reward comes to those willing to walk a little, as is the case with this one. This one is officially marked at the 16 mile mark and if you are willing to go you are rewarded by campgrounds every so many miles. There are only a few spots and it is first come first serve here but well worth it to see the nature around you!!

I didn't know what exactly to expect of this site but when I got there was so happy I tried to get here!!!

Great hiker site!! Fire ring is present and plenty of firewood. Downside the chemical toilet was pretty gross and the picnic table had seen better days.