Almedia, PENNSYLVANIA

Most Recent Almedia Camping Reviews
Great spot

Great location lots of hiking trails right in the park and many more close by

Hiking Hotspot

Stayed here 3 days and 2 autumn nights. Our site was nice, though not very defined as far perimeters. We were in the horseshoe row housing a few 5th wheels and small travel trailers in one corner. We were one of the smaller travel trailer in the corner. Nice and no real complaints aside from not being super scenic.

Bathhouse was newly remodeled and very nice. A lot of amenities scattered throughout the campground to check out. The highlight of the campground is the River of Rocks. It truly is a surreal sight. Kids had fun exploring. The campground is a few minutes from a AT trailhead.

If we stayed here again, we tried to get a more scenic site along the creek or nestled in the woods a bit more.  Overall a great experience.

Great place to camp.

A great place to camp and spend time with family and friends, you can enjoy lots of trails and explore the woods, and also a great place to enjoy the night sky, see the stars and the Milky Way in the summer months.

Splash Magic Review

Splash magic is a great family campground with tons of amenities. There is a great water park as well as adults only pool for those wanting a break from the little ones. Give it a try!

Quiet on the Susquehanna.

Riverside Acres is a modest sized campground in a great.spot. The river in front of first row sites is 200 m broad. Eagles fish here. You can too. Good beginning or end for a canoe trip.

Resident owner is easy to get along with as long as you respect the grounds. She has a wealth of knowledge of the area.

Good tentable spaces on river. Second row has water/electric, shade trees and lawn frontage. Pavilion has tables, a braizer, and one electric outlet. Lawn big enough to play your sport. Inland row has sewer hook ups and the bath house. Facility is an effective combination of old and new, and hot water is plentiful.

If you paddle in, come prepared for comfortable isolation. If you have wheels, anything can be bought with a run into Wyalusing, or Towanda.

When I have been there, if your night life requires things, you should bring your own. Like a chair to watch the moon on the river.

Waterfalls!!

The biggest draw to this state park (which no one in Pennsylvania I spoke with seemed to know about) is the 22 waterfalls! We saw 18 of them on a four-mile moderate hike, but if you want to see the additional four, you could make it a seven-mile hike. The trails are very well marked.

We stayed in the large loop, which is a peninsula on Lake Jean. Many of the sites have lake views. The bathhouse was clean but not adequate for 73 sites. The campground was about ¾ full and there was often a wait in the bathroom. Showers looked reasonable but I did not use them.

There were many tent campers in this loop, which does not allow pets (the other, smaller loop does allow pets). There are no hookups at all in the park. The water had been tested earlier in the season and unsafe levels of manganese were detected. All water spigots were shut off and covered but we were told it was safe to wash our dishes and brush our teeth. However, the water for the dishwashing sink was turned off as well as the water in the restroom at the trailhead. Since we had a reservation, we received a phone call in advance of our stay letting us know about this.

There are trails to the beach, but we woke to rain the next morning, so we did not explore this.

One trash/recycle area a distance away from the campsites which seems typical for PA state parks. Alcohol is strictly forbidden– we were warned that if a ranger saw any alcohol outside of our vehicle, we would be cited. Quiet hours are 9 pm– 8 am, which is more restrictive than other state parks, however, some did not observe these quiet hours (a guitar-playing singing camper thought he was talented, but I disagree!)

Lots to do here

This campground felt huge and was totally packed for Memorial Day weekend. The bathrooms were fine but definitely got crowded and dirty (it rained off and on so lots of mud tracking). The sites are nice but pretty close together. Overall it was a good experience considering that it was a busy holiday weekend with some rainy weather.

There are lots of things to do when staying here. We took an awesome hike down to the waterfall, fished at the lake, played on the playground, swam at the beach, and visited the boulder field.

The camp store is just incredible! You could get lost for hours in there!

Fun weekend

My family of 4 tent camped here for the weekend. Everyone at this campground was so friendly and nice. The staff really tried to make our stay comfortable. I noticed there was always a staff member driving around in a golf cart, checking on things. The bathrooms were very clean and maintained the whole weekend. The firewood sold at the camp store was only$5 for a large bundle and burned very well. Some campgrounds seem to sell "wet" wood that is hard to light. My only negative comment would be this is more of an RV park. If you do tent camp you should know you will be out in the open, no trees around your site and NO privacy. I will say the tent sites are huge and you can park 2 cars at each one. We made the best of it. We stayed in site 404

Love this area!

We were only able to stay 3 days. We will return!!! Such a nice setting. We could hear the river rapids from our campfire. The visitor center ranger, Al, was exceptional!!! There’s so much to do in the area.

Decent campground in a wonderful location

On the surface the campground is average. The secret it packs is the great town in which it shares it's name. You are 5 minutes from the wonderful town of Jim Thrope. Can't say the campground offers too much other than the basic campground experience. Though if coupled that with the opportunity to experience Jim Thrope, it sets the Jim Thrope Camping Resort apart.

My son, brother, and nephew tent camped. The tent sites are not very defined, level or rock free. Makes it fun searching for a good position within the site, kinda like roughing it in the actual wild… so not really a complaint. Sites are not very private or secluded. I could personally use a bit more privacy, not enough to be a deal breaker. Bathhouses are rougher, but usable and not dirty per se. Just rustic.

A major pro is access to the Switchback Trail from the campground. A wonderfully scenic trail.

Overall I would and plan on returning.

Beautiful starry skies & trails!

Only was able to spend one night here but I’m excited to return ASAP! The night skies were beautiful (starry starry night w/little light pollution) and trails galore leading directly from the campground. Bathrooms were clean as well- an added bonus!

One of our favorites

This place is great! Always end our season here. The Halloween weekends are the best.

Ranger Review: Banner & Oak at Knoebels Campground

Campground Review: Knoebels campground is very expansive and has sites named after various states and countries. For this trip we stayed at Bermuda site#6. The sites are very clean and come with a power hookup, picnic table, and fire ring. In addition to the campsites you have access to the campsite bathrooms which also have showers. They’re nothing special but they get the job done and are cleaned daily by staff. The campsites themselves are also honestly nothing special, they’re a little packed but surprisingly all of the campers are respectful and adhere to written quiet hours. What makes this place shine is its location. It’s nestled in the mountainside and just steps away from the main attraction, Knoebels Amusement Resort. This place is a throwback and hits all of the right notes. On the weekends you pay per ride, they have wooden roller coasters which consistently rank as the top in the country. There’s also a carousel that dates back 100 years, on the carousel if you ride on the outside they have brass rings that you can retrieve with the goal of collecting as many as you can. The food at the park is awesome and ranges from pizza to pierogis and everything in between. In addition to the rides they have a stream fed pool with water slides which was a great way to cool off on the hot days that we were there. The park itself is a 10/10 and a great place to make memories with your family. After a full day at the park it was great to get back to the campsite, make a fire, and crack a beer. I’ll be coming here with family for years to come.

Product Review: As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time. On this particular trip I tested the Home Free Hat by Banner& Oak. Banner & Oak is very much a brand committed to being environmentally conscious, celebrates the outdoors, and puts out stellar products.  Full disclosure: I have a monster collection of hats and this hat rates near the top in terms of construction and aesthetic. The Home Free gets a 5/5 in my books and will be a mainstay in my rotation.

For more information and to purchase one for yourself check out the hat at their website: https://bannerandoak.com/collections/hats/products/home-free-navy

Nice Family Campground

Went up for Labor Day weekend. Nice campground. Lots of activities, but very crowded and right next to a very busy road. Great for a large family camping trip in the Poconos. Not so good for a quiet weekend getaway.

One of the BEST campgrounds I have ever been to!

My family and I just stayed here for a long weekend over the Labor Day holiday. Appalachian is one of the absolute best campgrounds I have ever stayed at. It’s extremely clean and very well organized. We started our trip Friday afternoon, we pulled into the campground and they had a table set up outside to “check in.” We did not wait in a mile long line to park and go into the office. There was no rv backup of people trying to get through. It was extremely quick and very efficient to just pull up to a table say our name and be given the map and directed to our site. The campground had numerous activities set up all throughout the day and there was something for everyone. I find that a lot of campground activities tend to be centered around small children and with my kids being 13 and 12, they’re usually left out of the fun. There was bingo, crafts, a vendor craft show, hot dog eating contest for adults and kids, candy scramble in the dark for adults and kids, a dj Saturday night and a live band Sunday night. The pool was open until 10pm everyday. This campground has free mini golf. You can borrow golf clubs but you do have to buy balls. The staff was friendly and very helpful. You could leave your trash at the end of your site everyday and it was picked up by the staff, you did not have make trips to a dumpster. An excellent little surprise for me was the farm truck they had drive around Saturday morning. I was able to buy fresh produce for our dinner and I never even left my campsite. So beware, have cash or you’ll be cranky you couldn’t buy enough like I was! The only negative thing I could possibly say would be our campsite was….awkward. We were unaware that our site was a buddy site. Now it was Labor Day weekend, the campground was completely full and we booked late. The site we got was the only one available for the size of our camper. The buddy site was very narrow and since our buddy arrived first we had no choice but to park farther down on the site to avoid our awnings touching and that left us very uneven. It was a hill and no matter how many times we adjusted, we just could not get leveled. So my advice would be to make sure you aren’t put on the buddy sites if at all possible. The row starting with 310 on the map is all buddy sites. We have already booked our next trip and made sure we were not on another buddy site. Now that I know this, we can avoid that one issue in the future. I enjoyed this campground so much that this will now be our go to campground when we want to stay close to home.

Quiet and well kept

We stay at lake glory every year while visiting Knoebels.  It’s so much quieter than Knoebels campground and so much more room.  We love the creek side sites!  Kids can wade in the water to cool off while parents are chatting and cooking just few feet away.  We have never used the bus to head to the park - but it is one more nice thing they add to help make  your stay relaxing.  Book early….these sites fill fast!

Packed!

If you are first timer and going in for Friday - Sunday weekend camp trip….know this campground will be packed.  We tried to rent kettle bikes for the kids twice during our stay and none where available both times.  We also had people walking thru out campsite all weekend and the common areas had trash laying around.  This campground needs some TLC.   Was our first time and we most likely will not be back.

Small, but busy

Went in April so it was still chilly. Camps sites are a bit close together, but still clean. Was busy even for that time of year, especially he tent sites. Can get a little noisy with how close you your neighbors can be, but not a bad experience overall.

Beautiful and clean

Decent spaces between sites, with a smaller section for tents than RVs. Tent sites also have raised pads/beds for the tents to be set up and have options near the creek for both tents and RVs. I was impressed by how clean the bathrooms were kept in addition to the grounds. There’s a fenced not in area for dogs and a mini golf course, but it’s more for younger children. We were able to purchase Hershey Park tickets which were cheaper than buying from the Hershey (at a discount) and it includes shuttle service to and from the park!  The staff were friendly and welcoming and it was an overall wonderful experience.

Great weekend!

We are extremely pleased with the campground. We decided to stay here based on it's close proximity to Bucknell University. The staff is friendly, clientele is calm. Lots of well maintained seasonal sites. All the kids flock to the playground. A nice feature is the petting zoo. We will definitely return!

A little Strange

Decent campground, we had a large,fairly shaded, not to horribly out of level site. A lot of seasonal campers that were very nice people. Very nice camp store. There was just no wow factor, the bathrooms are old and showers are pay showers. The campground shares a property with a trailer park. To me, it was blah, all the planned activities were geared towards adults, not kids. Seems like a retirement campground.

CLOSED

CLOSED

Not that great

My family and I stayed at this campground for a week. Our campsite was very large and spacious with a lot of shade which was really nice. However the campsite was barely cleaned up from the last campers. There were bottle caps and nut shells throughout the entire campsite. The pool is awesome however it’s not open very late nor does the staff open it at 11 and I usually had to chase someone down to unlock it. Same for the game room, it was never opened unless I asked because “no one was there.” Well I was paying to camp so I would appreciate being able to use the amenities offered. Most of the office staff seemed annoyed every time I walked into the office for ice cream or some other necessity. And no, I never complained about the trash or the pool or the employees for them to have a reason to be annoyed with me. It just seemed to be the general attitude. The employees drove around the campground in golf carts all day doing various jobs and most of the time it seemed like they were practicing for a race. One of the golf carts backfired constantly and it sounded like a gunshot. We tried out this campground for a week in the hopes of finding somewhere to camp seasonally. Unfortunately this campground was not for us.

Secluded lake

Nice campground, friendly people, camp store and ice cream within walking distance. Lake is nice, smaller but perfect for families and water temp was great.

The first place I slept in a hammock all night! It was a gorgeous stay!

Will definitely continue to camp here.

Been camping here twice and both times were a lot of fun. It is a wonderful spot, which means it does get crowded but besides that, it's a place I will continue to come back to.

Short weekend adventure

Tail end of our vacation came with a camping trip! We went to riverside and the weather was perfect! The bands were great both nights. We all took the kayaks out on the Susquehanna River that runs behind the property for a sunny paddle. Came back and went to a wine fest, in the park that is right next to the campground, bought some root beer moonshine (which is AMAZING) then ended the night with hamburgers music and a friendly (competitive) game of corn hole. Riverside is such a great place for a short weekend away.

Great Camping & Activities

Surrounded by Lake Jean at the top of Red Rock Mtn, this clean campground offers spacious pads for tents or campers. Lots to do and see nearby: hiking, swimming, horseback riding, and catch & release fishing are all available. Open year round so snowmobiling, snowshoeing, and cross country skiing are also options. I can't wait to go back again!

Nice campgrounds and personal

Went there this week, very friendly owners and employees and helpful. We had a good time camping and at the pool. They have a nice game room, nice bathrooms with showers. It was Very enjoyable time,and we will be back.

Pretty

Pretty campground with cute pool. But they put us right next to the dumpsters and they stunk. We couldn’t find another 50amp and they were closed. Pricy too $70. For the night.