the dyrt
Allison, PENNSYLVANIA
Most Recent Allison Camping Reviews
Great Family campground

Lots of Racoons. Great lake for swimming and fishing. Trails are nice. Bathrooms are clean

Pretty spots to camp with lots of room

Nice campground and very easy to find spots along the property to camp. Owner was very friendly and made it easy to book some nights on short notice. Good campground to do your thing and not be bothered.

Clean and Friendly place

Can be crowded during summer times but always clean and well maintained. Everybody is very friendly and great place to fish with young children.

Awesome kid friendly campground!!

Got a nice secluded spot to camp in the wooded area that had a amazing mountain views and the star gazing platform. Kids had a great time and lots of activities for them to do!

Beautiful!

I have lived in Maryland my whole life and just recently experienced the beauty of New Germany State Park. The park is full of very tall pine trees. The campground is well maintained and the Rangers were very friendly. The sites are well maintained although some are close together with not a lot of privacy thus the 4 star rating. I stayed at site 28 which was backed by a large wooded area. It was however a hike to the bathhouse. The bathhouse was fine, clean enough but could have used a bit of an update. I did not use the shower so I can't tell you what it was like. The weather was crazy the one night I stayed! Thunderstorms turned to ice turned to snow which made the area even more beautiful!

Must See Sunsets

This is the largest state forest in West Virginia, it has a total of 25 sites that vary in their privacy. Each site has electrical hookups, picnic tables, fire grates, and utility post. The sites in the middle of the loop lack privacy that the outer loop sites have. There is one bath house that has hot showers, flush toilets, water spigots, and now WIFI. Pets are allowed but must be kept on a leash. There are gravel pull-ins for the sites, there are a couple of pull through sites for RVs.

The campground gets busy during the fall because it is so close to Morgantown and Mountaineer games. There are lots of hiking trails, coopers rock is definitely a must to see during sunset. Ravens rock is also a beautiful look out trail. Rock climbers have a lot of rock outcroppings on short trails for climbers to utilize. Fishing, biking, and hunting are also popular activities that can be done here.

Nice, but worn campground

This is an older campground that has not had sufficient maintenance in recent years. Several examples include: 1) restrooms don't work, 2) roads need more gravel, 3) drainage is poor, etc. On wet days, I have slipped and slid going to and coming from the campsite, and in the campsite. Because restrooms don't work, there is a hike or car ride to one that does work. The campground staff are nice folks who are helpful. Unfortunately, they do not do a late evening tour of the campground to quiet the groups who are in full party mode from their nearby whitewater raft trip.

Friendly and personable!

I was traveling alone and was looking for something about an hour away when I used my Dyrt app to locate a recommended campground. Benner’s popped up near Ohiopyle State Park. I spoke with Mary Lou on the phone to make my reservations and she informed me she would be leaving at 5pm. Well, my GPS said I wasn’t due to arrive until 5:10 and, of course, there were delays. When I got there, well after 5pm, Mary Lou was waiting for me! I apparently was the only tent camper but still, she made sure I had everything I needed for my one might stay, and set me up close to the bathhouse. They were older but clean and well maintained as was the whole campground. They had a variety of cabins, some open year-round. Since it was off season the pool was closed but that just made want to come back in the summer. There also was a putt-putt course and a star-gazing point/trail. Looks like there were also rustic campsites but I would call to be sure if that is your preference. This is mainly an RV Park but plenty of tent with electric and water sites. Plenty of wildlife!!!! As I already mentioned, it’s close to the state park as well as Falling Waters, a Casino, and a great coffee shop.

We LOVED Camping Here

We had a blast camping here and we went when it was 15 degrees out. So, we were a little hesitant at first but we had a lot of fun. Bring your bikes if you have them. It's a lot of fun to bike around and to bike into the little town. I recommend going when the leaves are changing!

There are better places

Stayed here one night. They charge per site, not per person. So depending on how many people you have, it is sometimes cheaper. The sites aren't that well taken care of and theres garbage in the firepits often.

Great camground

This place is wise open and there is room everywhere. It is on the banks of the Cheat River, so if you plan to whitewater kayak the cheat canyon, you're camped right at the put in.

Great little campground

Right on the bank of the the Muddy river and a short 2 minute walk to the Cheat River. This is also right next to the Cheat River Festival grounds. The sites are all super open, so if you want privacy, this isn't the place for you, but except during festival weekends, there won't be a lot of people around. The bathrooms are super clean and always restocked with toilet paper, soap and hand towels. There is fresh water on the side of the bathroom building. Spotty at best cell phone service, so check your email before getting there. This campground is also where most whitewater kayakers kayaking the Cheat Canyon stay.

Sardines camping

If you like camping right next to another group and being packed in like sardines, this is the place for you! You'll be about 15 feet away from the group next to you. They do have quiet hours though, so if you want super quiet camping…you'll like it here. Because it is also a PA state park….you can't legally drink alcohol here. But if you put it in a different container and don't make a lot of noise….nobody seems to bother you. The bathrooms are clean, but you have to drive to them if you want to use the bathrooms before it starts running down your leg….the walk is far.

You can pretty much do anything you want here....within reason

If you want to have a big party, this is the place to do it. Call in advance and reserve one of the sites that is up the hill farther away from people. They also have 2 shelters (1 small/1 big) that both have electricity, but bring an extension cord and a socket with a plug to screw into a lightbulb socket. Some of the sites are more primitive than others. If you're the type of person that wants everything prim and proper this is not the place for you. Their bathrooms are a little worse than wear….but they do have toilet paper and running water, so that's better than most places. They have private showers too, but I'd recommend wearing sandals in there. The camp store they have in the main building doesn't have much…but they do have candy and stuff for smores. You can also get wood there, either by a small load or by the truck bed size. They'll deliver it to your site if you want. They take Credit Cards too.

Great for families

Great for families to get away. Quiet and scenic, great trails. Close to lake and fishing

Clean and very friendly. Lots of activities.

Book early for holidays.

Best place for family fun!

We visited this campground 3 years ago and had an absolute blast!! We ended with a very private tent site with no amenities but around the corner from a pavilion with an outside washing station and flush toilets. There were multiple bathhouses in the upper and lower camp. This is a great RESORT type location for families with store, restaurant, pools, slides, mini golf, picnic basket wagon rides, yogi bear fire truck rides, and snowless snow tubing! We stayed for 4 days and 3 nights! I encouraged everyone from PA to book a few nights there with their kids/grandkids! My children still talk about the fun we had!!

Great camping close to hikes, rivers, and waterfalls

I have stayed at Kentuck twice now, once while leading a trip with students where we were in tents, and once on a personal camping trip in a van. Both times I loved how close Kentuck is to Ohiopyle, and the amenities they have there. There is firewood for sale (cheap), bathhouses, water, dumpsters, fire rings at all sites, and the staff was helpful and friendly. I drove there both times, but there are campsites available that are near a trail that runs through the park and the campground I believe. I recommend this place!

Beautiful Area!

This is a great place to camp! the facilities were great and having a bear proof container at each site was great.

We had the perfect amount of sun for an afternoon nap after a short hike.

Beautiful campground and plenty to do

We just recently visited this campground with our 25 foot trailer and had a wonderful time, in spite of the rain. We spent a week there in site 168, electric site with 50 Amp capable. Pretty much all sites here are in the shade. Big, tall trees. Great to keep your campsite cool, not good if you rely on solar power. The sites are large and separate, not really private but good space between. I have been in this campground in past years with a tent several times and it has been good each time. The site we were on was pretty level, as many trailer sites appear to be but some of the tent sites may be level challenged. The bathrooms and shower houses are pretty nice, clean and the hot water was free and no problem. There is no camp store but there is a firewood and ice concession at the entrance to the campground. The road in is quite hilly but manageable with a 25 foot trailer. We did see some larger rigs so with care you can navigate there.

Activities there range from plenty of hiking, whitewater, and Architecture (Falling Water, Kentuk Knob), The Flight 93 Memorial, Pittsburg. There is no close grocery store, at least none we found. The town of Ohiopyle has restaurants with good food. And there are a number of whitewater outfitters to do the rafting. I highly recommend this campground.

Undisturbed beauty

I went camping the last week of August and it was beautiful. If you’re from the area you know how hot it can be at this time of year but it’s at least 10 degrees cooler out here. I stayed at a primitive campsite with my dog and we found a site right on a beautiful stream. It was a good sized site with a nice fire circle. my favorite part was how private it was, each campsite was 50-100ft away from each other at least. Mine was probably 100yrds. There’s also plenty of hiking in the park and in the adjacent parks like New Germany state park. There’s also places to swim nearby so all in all this park gives a lot.

Quiet, woodsy campground

We stayed at a walk in site. The campground was quiet, woodsy and shady. The restrooms were basic, but adequate. There were no paper towels or hand dryers in the bathroom nearest our site. Firewood and ice available for purchase at the campground, but it was cash only, on the honor system. The gift shop at the visitor center in town was cash only too, and so were several stores in town, so be sure to bring cash. The park is close to two Frank Lloyd Wright houses - Kentuck Knob and Fallingwater. There’s so much to do here with the bike trail, hiking, whitewater rafting, natural water slide, cool fossils, waterfalls. There’s really something for everyone.

Roomy and Woodsy plenty to do!

The campground and surrounding area is hilly and wooded. Very beautiful and friendly. Nearby rafting is amazing! The sites are roomy. They have dog friendly sites and suprisingly it was very quiet in that area! Frank Lloyd Wrights Falling Water is close by and so are natual water slides! There is a very steep inclined road to access campground. If towing there are alternate directions and on their website.

Loud party at night - ok site

We stayed for a night while traveling. We had a reserved site but got moved by the campground to a much less desirable site without notice. We were in the middle of the street, right by the bathroom and playground. Many campers used our site (19) as a main walk-way. There was a loud party with a DJ until after 10 pm. Yuk! The pool was OK. There is a snack bar at the pool.

Great campground

Great campground, people were very friendly. Has a small store, very quiet, good view of the water in most areas of the campground. The guy that runs the campground is super nice and helpful.

I need more time here!

beautiful location and landscapes, great hiking

Western Maryland tourist lake

We love this area and love the lake. Campsites are not large, but plenty of space still and the lake is beautiful. Plenty of eating and tourist stuff around the lake as well.

Less known western Maryland lake

We loved this campground. It was quieter than Deep Creek with shaded good sized camp sites in the Hemlock loop where pets are allowed. The small lake was perfect for swimming, and the hikes around the campground were beautiful. The bathrooms were always cleaned and the staff was super friendly! Overall a very good experience.

Love this park, bathrooms need updates

I love this park, and I love camping here. I’ve been coming here for 35 years, it’s so peaceful and everyone is exceptionally friendly. The sites are great, but the bathrooms have been exactly the same for 30+ years. They’re “fine” and “clean” - meaning they are cleaned regularly for human filth but they are dirty and old from wear and tear - and it’s be great to see the park update them.

First time camping on a tent

I had the most wonderful time on my first tent camping at Racoon Creek. We made a fire, hiked by the moonlight and swam at the warm lake at night. There were other campers around but we rarely noticed them and only when walking to restrooms at the daylight. I will be back soon