the dyrt
Ashland, OREGON
Most Recent Ashland Camping Reviews
Hippy Paradise

The camping area is a couple of “meadows” or grassy backyard and you pick a spot to place your tent. The camping fee includes 1 person in the “spring”. If there are 2 people they charge $25/tent and the 2nd person is an additional $15 and dogs are $5. A bit steep for camping in a meadow without a designated area. There were several picnic tables and I was lucky to get one. I don’t know that I’d feel comfortable camping here alone. The “spring” is a pool and a jacuzzi type set up. It’s ok but I prefer the hot springs that are a bit more natural. Also, after 6pm clothing is optional. The drinking water and shower water smell like sulfur which is a bit nauseating. The big plus is that Ashland is 2 miles down the road. There are quite a few long term people and it’s not very organized so it feels a bit dirty. My friend that I was with said he felt like he was sleeping in a junkyard.

Spacious lake side campground

Large campground with lots of dispersed campsites. Bathrooms, water, firewood, hookups, picnic tables, etc. This campground has a movie screen set up for outdoor movies. It also has big fields and is located right next to lost lake. Very pretty well maintained campground with lots of recreational activities close by!

Lots of amenities and lots of people

This is a really big campground with lots of trees and lawn space. The sites are kind of close together, there isn't much privacy. The showers and other amenities are really nice. Our campsite was about a 2 minute walk from the river. We visited during the week in August and the got the very last campsite available.

Great Campground

Great campground with spectacular views of Fourmile Lake and Mt. Mcgloughlin. Most of the campsites are quite roomy, some are private, and some are open. The camp host is very helpful and friendly.

Just Okay

I feel like I should probably like this campground more, after reading other reviews that call it the "best campground in Oregon" and such, for me it was just kind of meh. The campground is huge with numerous loops full of RVs and tents, and there's plenty of grass and space for running around, but most of the sites are really on top of each other without much in the way of privacy in-between. It's also right off the I-5 freeway and you can definitely hear the traffic.

For us the absolutely best park was the ranger program/camp host activity that was going on while we were there. They had water activities, a tent to check out animal skulls and such, and lots of kids hanging out and playing. I don't know, however, if that event was specific to the awesome camp hosts who were there at the time or if it's always going on.

Overall a pretty basic campground with some major drawbacks including the traffic noise and less-than-exciting campsites, though we never made it down to the river, which I'm sure would have been a lot more fun.

Oregon Caves just down the road

Uncrowded, riverside, close to the caves. Rustic - no hookups. Big sites. Forest service park. Host on-site.

Home for 10 days

This place is great! The bathrooms are immaculate, the firepits and trashcans are regularly emptied. The lake is beautiful and refreshing with a very nice paved path to walk around completely. There is a healthy day use parking lot and plenty of fishing spots with a very nice fish cleaning station.

Lot's of amenities

This park was filled with green lawns and very clean, new, showers. The Rogue River was very accessible. The campground was also full of people, mostly families with small children.

Beautiful, semi remote camping

Lovely place, lovely drive in. Spots are scattered and hard to find at night. Had dear running around while I was setting up the tent. Pit toilets, hiking close by, accessible in any vehicle.

Mellow lakeside camp

A quiet family campground by an Oregon lake in southern Oregon, at about 4000 feet elevation that has fishing, water skiing, boating, hiking, biking and fantastic chocolate vanilla soft serve cones at the camp store. Close to Ashland, Oregon and the summer Shakespeare festival and Jacksonville, Oregon for the Britt Festival. A great relaxing RV camping spot, with electric, full hookups and hot showers.

Popular State Park Near the Rogue River

Popular state park on the banks of the Rogue River in Southern Oregon. Numerous RV camp loops with cement pads. Full-Hook-ups available, though sites are close together. There are a few that are near the shoreline of the river. Tent camping also available on-site, though the whole campground is near I-5 in that the main entrance is through a rest area. That said, it’s a well loved and well used park with nice facilities. When we were there the camp host was hosting a cool junior ranger program complete with a tent of nature artifacts and activities for the kids.

Stinky

Nor sure why there was a nasty smell all night when I stayed near the end of May.

Clean and calm! But close to i5

Grest, clean facilities. A decent amount of space between campsites… But it is very very close to the interstate so its pretty loud at night. It is located on the river though, so that is nice!

full hook ups and by the river

this campground has all the necessities . a laundry spot, playground, full hookups, boat ramp, etc. Seems like it caters more specifically to RVs and is close to hwy 97. It is a really clean well maintained spot. This campground is also right by the river which is really pretty.

Close to downtown Ashland

I stopped at this campground with my daughters on a road trip to California. We were able to slip in without any reservations. There were almost no campers due to the smoke from the wildfires and the water slides and pool were closed for the same reason. They looked pretty cool, but I can’t vouch for that or tell you how much the fee is. The fee to tent camp is $20.

There are warnings about rattle snakes around which freaked out my daughters a little bit. We didn’t see any. It’s mainly a warning to be aware of your surroundings.

The lake is disgusting and slimy. There is a boat launch and were people fishing on the lake with boats. There are warnings for pregnant or nursing women not to eat fish from the lake. Before we went down to the water, a staff person at the campground was very kind when we asked about swimming. She said it was safe, but seemed to have some apprehension and added that it was murky. When we got down to the lake there was a dog and the dog’s owner and one other person in the water. The other person got out of the water rather quickly. My daughters and I got out of the car and stepped down into very slippery sludge. It was thick and stuck to the bottom of your foot or shoe like when you step in cow dung.

We continued to try to brave it wading into the water. It was extremely slippery. I looked for something firm to stand on and saw a strip of what looked like blacktop nearby. I went to stand on it only to find myself nearly knee deep in a clutch of - what my uncle later told me was bullfrog eggs.

At that point we got out and decided to try to find a different place to swim. We had to scrape our shoes to get the sludge off then we drove to the city pool which wasn’t very far away. Unfortunately it was closed too. Then I found out that there’s a swimming reservoir at the very top of Lithia Park. It took us a little while to find it, but it was PERFECT. The water was very cool and very clear with a nice pebbly bottom. I recommend finding this spot. it’s heaven. This is the address of the pinned location on my maps: 632–698 Granite St, Ashland, OR 97520

Sleeping at the campsite was pleasant. The birds were vibrant during the day and early morning. The night animal noises were also pleasant. The campground was quiet as there were few campers. The staff were kind and checked in on us.

The bathrooms were clean except that I think the showers were turned off. It’s 50 cents for a 4 minute shower, but the coin slots were blocked. Maybe because there were so few campers?

Overall the campground was good and probably very popular on a usual basis. I would avoid the lake altogether and find the swimming reservoir instead. I will probably stay here again if in Ashland in the future. The price is very reasonable, the staff is helpful and friendly, the bathrooms are clean, and the nearby swimming reservoir is heaven. I didn’t give it more stars because the lake is so disgusting.

Perfect quick & easy stop from Ca to Wa

I read reviews before I came and knew what to expect. It was convient to pull off Hwy 5 after a long trip with 4 kids and set up camp quickly. We had a tent site -A9 and it was a roomy site close to a very clean bathroom. It was definitely close to the freeway and you can hear the car traffic, but we were so tired that it was nice white noise.

There was a nice trail by our site and it runs along the river, which can be accessed in a few places where the brush has been cut back. We would definitely stop here again on our way up to Wa again.

Family time

Great family campground, plenty of bike and lake side hiking trails. Nice shade during the hot months. Definitely will go back!

never forget

last trip my late fiance and I had before he passed away. we lost out through knife, canoes around the whole late, made love on the shoreline. what an amazing memory.

Close quarters

Fish Lake reaper is located on the beautiful Fish Lake. We had a tent site and it was huge! However limited privacy. This is definetly a RV campground. You will be right next to your neighbor. However, the staff are friendly and the restaurant was good. They even had live music.

Scenic, good for swimming, easy access

Fish lake is a smaller lake than others I have camped along, but it is big enough to swim in, take out a canoe, or let a dog splash around in. We found a dispersed site overlooking the water, and had a fantastic time! Bring bugspray. The mosquitos aren't the worst I've seen, but certainly present.

In the forest close to OR Caves

Nice National Forest Campgrounds. Can have camp fires within the metal fire pits (even though your between two fires happen close by). Grounds of hwy 46 that head to the Oregon Caves National Monument between mile post 11 and 12. Also along the Cave Creek, with a walking trail that crosses the creek it about 1/2 mile. Has two water spikes that are tested daily by camp host. Vault toilets that are clean (no spider webs). Length max is 45feet (camper and truck). Has a day use area with amphitheater.

Quaint

We camped at the primitive site. Had to host over to it. It was worth it. Loved the rustic tables and the lake side site. Fished and relaxed.

great visit

clean spots hiking nearby

Best State Campground in Oregon

This is a great campground just outside of Grant’s Pass, OR. We used it as a stop over on the way to Crater Lake so we could get up early and get a good spot at one of the National Park campgrounds. The sites are decently far apart from one another, but there isn’t a ton of privacy. The best part is most certainly the amenities - including free showers! There’s a decent amount of shade and it’s not far from town if you need to stock up on supplies. The staff is very friendly and the bathrooms are clean.

beautiful park

so far my visit is excellent. love this place.

Classic, Welcoming Lakefront Campground + OOFOS OOmg Shoe Review

Now branded as Smoke on the Water, the former Lake Selmac Resort is one of Oregon's first cannabis-friendly campgrounds. The tent camping area is shaded by huge, old pines and firs, keeping your tent fairly pleasant even on a hot day. There are electrical hookups and some limited RV spots, as well as picnic tables and fire rings. Along one side is a fence separating the campground from a neighboring property.

The whole campground is right across the main road from Lake Selmac. There is some traffic noise at night, but very little. This is a small town and the road isn't very busy late. You're more likely to hear the wild turkeys calling or a bullfrog down by the lake. There's a nice dock and plenty of toys to enjoy the water. You can take out a paddleboat, kayaks, canoes, paddle boards, or inner tubes. You can also just sit on the shore or fish.

There's also a large lawn area at the campground that is great for larger gatherings, as is the thee sided barn on the property. While basic, the restrooms are clean and accessible with showers. There's also laundry facilities and a general store on site. The signs say no alcohol is allowed, only cannabis, but they do sell beer in the general store along with food and other basic supplies. If there's something you need that the store doesn't have, town isn't far away. Eventually the owners intend to have a dispensary on site, too, though right now you'll have to plan ahead.

Despite those private campground perks, this isn't a hazy party spot, however. Tou don't have to partake to feel welcome or have a positive experience here. Everyone seems nice and respectful, and the campground host makes the rounds and keeps up with chores like taking out the trash on the regular. In addition to the campground host, the owner is sometimes on site as well in the living area behind the general store. The hospitality is genuine and you can tell that management really cares about making Smoke on the Water as inviting, comfortable, and pleasant as possible.

------- Product Review -------

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time - on this trip I got to test out the OOFOS Women's OOmg Black and Black Shoe.

This is one of OOFOS's first closed-toe offerings, providing the same support from their proprietary sole design and foam recipe as their sport slide sandals and clogs. The OOmg shoe upper is a breathable mesh sock, not unlike water shoes, but softer. The sole is thick enough that you don't feel the ground beneath you, yet somehow is also soft enough to sink into, all while feeling supported. I appreciate the way the sole encourages a heel-strike gait and takes the pressure off my toes. I have very high arches and experience frequent foot pain after walking and hiking. OOFOS felt like they were realigning my feet and I did feel a lot of relief after trying them all weekend.

While OOFOS are intended as a "recovery shoe" you slip on after you're done working out in your sneakers, I found they work really well as an all around leisure shoe. I wore them all weekend while I was camping, and they remained ultra comfortable even in very hot weather that caused my feet and legs to swell up. They were breathable, provided good traction, and stayed aligned with my feet despite plenty of moving around on my part and experiencing different temperatures throughout the day.

Since this first weekend trying OOFOS at Lake Selmac, I've worn my OOmg around town to run weekend errands, on a hike to the top of Spencer Butte in Eugene (quite the uphill slog), to ease foot pain after a day in heels, during a long day in the car without cruise control. In every setting they've remained comfortable, supportive, and don't seem to wear down even after hours of my weight pressing into the foam. They clean up easily and seem really durable. They lack some of the traction and control sneakers or hiking boots would on steep descents, but are perfectly adequate for casual tromping around.

The only downside I can find with my OOFOS OOmg is that the heel is made of a harder rubber substance than the mesh upper or foam sole. I assume this is to help give the shoe some structure and keep your foot where it needs to be. If you're like me, however, and sometimes put your shoes on in a hurry and step on the heel and sort of slip on your shoes like they're clogs, you might mash down that hard material and either wrinkle it or find it doesn't bounce back. If you smoosh it too much, it could kind of get stuck in a way that rubs uncomfortably or blisters a bit. So always be sure to tug the heel part of your OOmg up all the way and finish putting on your shoes so they stay the right shape.

Overall, I'm really happy to have a pair of OOFOS in my closet and I'm definitely bringing them on all my camping trips. They're so lightweight they go right in my pack and I don't have to worry about my feet getting tired of my one pair of hiking boots or sneakers. These are perfect for when you need to get up and poke the fire real quick and don't want to shove your feet back into a more fitted pair of lace-up shoes that you were already wearing all day.

Yikes!

Ended up not staying when placed right next to a large dog on a table that was growling at us. Campground is behind a motel, nothing special, just flat spots.

Great campground in the middle of the city

Want to be close to town for a night. This KOA is well kept, has a small store, gas station and propane. Also offers a clean pool and restroom. Camp sites are nice wirh green grass. There are also tent camping and cabins for rent. Be aware of midges, found by the water in these parts of Oregon (koa is by a canal). They don't bite, but are annoying and look like a mosquito. This KOA is close to stores, to refill groceries, restaurants and the Amazing Crater Lake and Lava beds National Parks.