Fires Unknown

This recreation area is part of Fort Gibson Lake

US Army Corps of Engineers
Sequoyah State Park is located in Oklahoma
14 Reviews of Sequoyah State Park
Calling all golfers, boaters & fishermen

(See below for my updates) Great park for anyone wanting to catch a round of golf while camping. Sequoyah is very near Tahlequah, Oklahoma so there’s easy access to food and other shopping needs on a trip. The main pro for Sequoyah is the golf course, which large flows along the shore line of Fort Gibson Lake, over 19,000 acres of water. The course is really well maintained for a state park; however, you should be aware that during a recent trip to another OK state park, I played a round of golf and was told by the course pro that Sequoyah is turning their 18 hole course into a 9 hole course bc the campground is so frequently flooded. To that end, you should definitely pay attention to local rainfall levels prior to visiting Sequoyah if your planning a trip. There are several separate camping areas, all of which are named after a particular Native tribe such as “Seminole area.” Some areas are more prone than others to flooding so you should check with the park before going bc you may very well be limited in what you’re able to do or access if there has been local flooding. Beyond the golf course, the other obvious benefit of this park is Fort Gibson Lake, which is stunning. It’s a paradise for fishermen and boaters. For non water sport enthusiast, there is some great hiking at the park, as well as the Three Forks Nature Center, which my kids loved. The camp sites along the lake are generally for tent campers, but regardless, there is tons of sandy shoreline for swimming and playing in the water. Really pretty area of the park. There’s also a few beach volleyball courts and disc golf, which is a personal fav of mine. Lastly, for anyone not wanting to “camp,” have no fear! The “Lodge at Sequoyah State Park” is very, very, VERY nice and the rooms are reasonably priced for what you get. It was completely renovated recently and now very much looks like something you would expect out of a premier hotel or resort, not a state park. If you have a significant other who suffers through your love of the outdoors, they will LOVE this place and likely ask you when you’d like to return as soon as they arrive.  My wife loves me enough to go camping in our PopUp, but when she learned about the Lodge, that was it no sleeping the popup on this trip.  The room was unreal (see pics). We definitely felt like we were at a luxury resort, not camping.  So to the extent that may bother you, don't stay in the Lodge.  The Lodge is located directly on the water and it has tremendous views of the lake and sunset.  It is also located in close proximity to the volleyball courts and beach area along the lakeshore, which has day use picnic tables everywhere. I should also mention that there is a superb restaurant in the Lodge as well, which I always make note of due to the ease of having at least one meal prepared for us instead of cooking at the campsite while trying to wrangle 3 boys under 4.  Overall, I feel confident in saying that Sequoyah is probably one of Oklahoma’s better parks due to the activities and amenities it offers, the scenery and proximity to a “town” in the event you need something during your trip. We will definitely be going back, whether I want to or not.  My wife is sold! (Updated review) I have since been back to Sequoyah and I decided to upgrade the park to 5 stars. It’s just a beautiful, great park. Tons to do, accommodations for all preferences, swimming, boating, golf, disc golf, horseback riding, boating, fishing, great trails, HUGE park, tons of sites, lots of trees, tons of green space in camping areas, [now has renovated] camping sites for all preferences/sizes of campers, trailers, hookups, etc. (see video). Above all, for anyone in Tulsa or surrounding area (the second most populated city in OK by far), the park is 30 minutes SE. Its also like 15 minutes from Wagoner or Hulbert, in both of which you can easily find food options, groceries, etc if needed. For anyone with or without kids, Sequoyah is a cant miss in this area of the world. I want to check out Sequoyah Bay Park, which is across the lake in a SW’ly direction. I plan to camp at Sequoyah in two weeks so I will drive over to Sequoyah Bay and snag some video/pics for anyone needing more info. Overall, great park with literally everything you could want in a state park.

Beautiful but overcrowded

We camped at the Choctaw tent campground, which sits right on the lake. The trails were so fun and the park is beautiful. Bathrooms and showers were clean. However, we found this campground to be overcrowded with many people coming to the lake for the day. Campsites were very close together. Additionally the quiet hours were not enforced. If we were to go back, we would try to book a site at Seminole campground and go during off season to enjoy the trails.

First trip

We just bought our camper and this was the first place we came. The staff have been helpful and the site was super clean and easy to use. We had full hookups at the Choctaw site. We came in March so we couldn’t do any water activities but we went on several beautiful hikes. There were basketball and tennis courts and lots of play grounds. The park itself is beautiful and we could not have picked a better place for our first trip.

Great Camping with the Family

Great camping with family. We enjoyed a nice tent camping trip, really nice camping area and enjoyable getaway. Highly recommend.

Inaugural RV Trip

We stayed in Seminole, site #22 mid July 2019. Very peaceful campground and this site has awesome amounts of shade from late morning through the rest of the day. Lots of room between sites and grounds were well cared for. This state park is still recovering from all the flooding earlier this year but still has lots to do and see with lodge, golf course, paved trails and a nature center, etc. Our family has agreed we would like to stay here again anytime and are planning to come in fall for sure.

Beautiful park

We were so surprised with this park because we’d hardly even heard of it. The campsites were plentiful with beautiful views of the lake. It was early in the season so not very busy. The sites were clean and easy to navigate. We enjoyed the nature center, getting to view a bald eagle and coyote. The lodge is very nice and would definitely recommend to someone who doesn’t want to rough it. I’d like to come back in the summer to take advantage of the pool. We walked along the fitness trail and tried out the recommended activities for fun. We then took one of the longer trails that winds throughout the park. These trails were not well marked but they made for a great Oklahoma hike. We fished near the group camp area as a storm was brewing and we wanted to be near a picnic shelter. The lake is very pretty, would definitely recommend for kayak or boating. The o my issues we had was, we needed a shower and the camp showers which are coin operated did not have hot water as indicated. Made for a very chilly rinse. All in all we will be back!

Sequoyah state park

Great for family tips! Lots of camping spots and a bunch of hiking. Good area to fish and boat as well.

Updated and awesome

For an RV/Trailer camper this place is amazing. Multiple campgrounds within the park. Our favorite is Choctaw with full hookups. Sites are cement and level. All have table, charcoal grill and fire ring. Close to the lake, about 100 yards. Other area are just as good. Other areas don't have septic but each has a dump station. Tent campers have nice areas also.

Choctaw Area - Full Hook ups, pull through, concrete pads

Choctaw camping area has full hookups, nice concrete pads & concrete picnic tables. Limited amount of shade. Water access is a short distance away.

Ft. Gibson Lake retreat

I have been coming to Sequoyah for no less than 25 years and always enjoy a nice camping trip back. The first thing about SSS is that it is huge! The park has no less than 4 separate camping areas with completely different amenities and different sides of the peninsula. You can choose to have full hook ups or go more primitive. There is a marina on site that allows you to rent various boats, a pleasant lakeside golf course, a horse stable to take a nice trail ride and that is all before you get to the early state park resort! The most pleasant thing I have seen in years is that this park is actually getting some updates! New trails and trail maintenance were witnessed the last time I was there and the resort went through a renovation several years ago. I would still expect 50's state parkitecture but you have a ton of options for recreation. The camping bathrooms range from decent to non existent depending on which loop you camp in.