the dyrt
Amelia, OHIO
Most Recent Amelia Camping Reviews
Excellent campground

I love just pulling into a site and not leveling the RV. Besides that, the park is well kept with plenty of spaces and the bathhouse is clean. Lots of hiking trails including house trails.

Nice scenery, very strict

The campground in tucked in the middle of the state park and seems pretty secluded (no cell service). The primitive camping sites are pretty packed in and don't have a lot of privacy, and not a lot of flat land to set up a tent. $25 a night is a bit steep for the amenities you receive.

The campground is very strict about the rules - you are NOT allowed to gather firewood (of any size - which seems odd to me) but then they are also very strict about what firewood you can bring in. I guess you should plan on buying it there - although they charge $6 a bundle. Another strange thing is that you must have your dogs on a leash at all times. We were literally the ONLY campers there and they still felt the need to enforce this. Our dogs are very friendly and well-behaved. I could understand this if they had gone up to the ranger car, were barking, or not listening to us, but it just seems odd to me to enforce this.

I don't think this would be a park where we will return as it would not have been enjoyable if there had been a lot of other people.

We were able to enjoy the beautiful lake and the fall views.

One last thing to add - there is a cemetery in the middle of the campground which I find a bit creepy!

Clean and convenient

Winton Woods is located conveniently off of I 275. The sites are good size offering full hook up and electric only sites. It’s a great place for kids to play and ride bikes. They have a nice fishing lake, frisbee golf, bike and walking loop around the lake! Enjoy!

Big sites, big field

This campground has decent, wide sites, but there are very few trees or privacy. Sites are side by side, one after the other so you have no privacy and sound carries all the way up the loop. All the sites say "partial shade" on the reservation page, but beware, this shade only happens as the sun is going down.

Bathrooms were fine, relatively clean. There is a little store, but note that the firewood is in huge, unburnable pieces, (as most Ohio state park firewood is), so you'll need tons of kindling and several firestarters, or an ax and some way to hack at the logs.

The lake is huge and very pretty; there is a pioneer village that is interesting to walk around, and 3 or 4 canoe liveries nearby. All in all, it's a decent campground, just not too quiet or isolated if you are trying to get away from people.

Very nice campground

If you kayak the Lilly pad are awesome to paddle through.

Great park

This is clean and well maintained campground. The sites are large, and RV parking is easy. It's a long way to town, so be prepared. There were 2 camp hosts and they were responsive to campers.

Golfing in Falmouth Kentucky!

Plenty of primitive camping! Few on the lake. Showers swimming pool. general store inside the park.

Breathtaking scenery

The boating area is nice and has your typical “outdoor “ facilities you would find at a rest area. The scenery of the water and trees are amazing. The campground is good for tent camping but iffy for others. I would definitely bring extra leveling blocks.

This campground is in a quiet area with amazing scenery. The access to hiking trails is wonderful.

Better than expected

Happily surprised at the quality of the facilities and the things that were available to do! Great experience

Lake-side Camping

Private campsites, nice big lake for swimming, fishing and boating, pets allowed. Perfect for all seasons! Horseback riding available as well!

Iffy

We went to tour the campground with intentions of pulling our camper (for reference 36' trailer) up there to stay while my husband worked on a contract in a neighboring town. I had read every review that I could find so I kind of knew what to expect. There were very few sites that I could even fit on and even then I would have had to disconnect from the truck and pull in beside the camper. I wasn't sure if I could get the awning and slides out on some of the sites by the way they are set up. Most sites are shaded and a nice little playground for kids. I have an outside kitchen in the back of my camper and it would be hanging out over a hill on most sites. The state could spend a few dollars on this campground and build up the campsites to make them more usable. The campers that were there had to use a ton of blocks to level up so be prepared. Tent sites are all on a sloping hill, so it might get interesting when it rains, still close to the lake with a great view. Pretty enough, but I won't be camping there. It looked like too much work to set up for a few days. Didn't use the restrooms, therefore no judgement. Sorry, I sound like it's not good enough for me, but I just wasn't impressed. Another point is that you can't swim in the lake, why?

Basic campground, good for

A simple and large campground with lots of sites. The sites are big and fairly spread out but nothing between the sites to give privacy. Easy access to the lake and lots of walking trails, seems like a great place for families. We were just passing through and looking for a place to relax for a few days.

Very nice campground.

Very nice state campground with full hook-up sites. Very spacious, double-wide sites. Lots of grass and trees for an enjoyable setting. No wi-fi takes away a bit from the experience, but fine for off-the-grid setting. Nice hiking trails.

Very nice "urban" campground

Very nice campground inside the urban loop in Cincinnati. Close to everything, yet quiet and secluded camping experience. Limited number of full hook-up spots - more would make this and even better site. Get your ideal site early during busy season.

Lots of potential!

Nice place to stay with lots of outdoor recreation. Sites are not maintained as well as other state parks but still adequate. Pull through sites are just big enough for average size rigs. Back in sites are small but you can set up off of the designated pad. Guest campers were very friendly and helpful. We will be camping here again.

Loved it

We loved our time here! We had to switch sites because our original site was on a hill and there wasn’t enough room for our tent! They were very helpful and switched us! Our kids loved the playground, my husband loved to fish, I loved laying in my hammock and we all loved the beach! It was clean! The bathrooms were nice and the shower house was nice as well! We hope to go again!

Excellent state park in southern Ohio

We camped here in late spring. It was still pretty cold and even got a little snow one night. We were pretty much alone in the campground. The sites were huge! No water in our site but we did have electric. The rolling hills in this part of Ohio are beautiful. There is a huge lake that you can access from the camp ground. It was still really cold when we went but my understanding is that the fishing here is excellent. The restrooms looked brand new. There was a lot of downed trees, mostly ash trees. So this made for easy gathering for firewood. The campground staff was really nice and welcoming. This is a huge state park with a variety of accommodations. Overall excellent place.

Good for hiking, families

There is a nice lake, good hiking, close to waynseville. Family friendly, good nature center and ability to look for fossils.

Great for hiking, water activities, has a pool and nice lodge!

It has lake activities, hiking, biking, fishing. Camping can be in tens or various cabins or even in the lodge. Lodge has a restaurant- food was good. There was also a pool within the lodge. They have some planned activities and hikes for those interested!

Not alot of shade

These sites have plenty of space between them. But there isn't a lot of shade. Partial shade is very generous for the B Loop. Otherwise we enjoyed our time. We hiked down to the beach, which is mucky on the bottom. It is a little bit of a drive to get to the other parts of the park. You can access the mountain bike trails from the campground when they are open. They have converted some sites to premium, but most only offer electric.

Great beach but little rocky, hence the name I guess

Overall we enjoyed our camping experience at this state park!

One of my favs!!!

Overall great campground! We try and make it a must every year!!!

Huge, Hiking, wildlife

The one factor that really decreased rating for me is that the beach that's within the campground is closed down. So end up driving 25-30 minutes to the other side of the lake that does have a great beach area. My husband complained that there was only 2 bathroom stalls in the campground loop we were at. However the bathrooms were nice with hot water. Overall nice peaceful place with friendly staff and campers. Just need to improve beach on campground. We seen so many deer while we were camping so that was awesome too!

Great place to camp with small children. Lots of things for them to do

Camp sites were clean. Shower houses and bathrooms kept very clean and nice. Great place to camp with children. Tons of things for them to do. Beach was clean and lake nice to swim and play in. Fishing was good.

Kind of gross

Loys of people cruise through the park. Lots of goose poop everywhere. Bathrooms are smelly, like from many feet away. Not a high class or middle class place.

Roughing it by a creek and a pioneer village

Basic car tent camping at several spots along a creek wIth picnic tables and fire rings (no hookups, portolet toilets, no showers.) There is a rustic scout cabin/group lodge reservable for scout, etc. groups. The park features a pioneer village with log cabins, including a blacksmith forge, etc. that have been moved to the site.

Great park

Campground is part of large county park. Sites on a loop set in the woods suitable for tents or small campers. Beautiful park has a lake with kayaking/canoe/rowboat/paddle boat rentals and a few pontoon boats for rent but is otherwise just for non-motorized boats. good fishing both from the rental rowboats and shore. Several well maintained hiking and walking trails. Also a great bike trail (7.8 and 1.6 mile paved loops), disc golf, kids sprayground and 18 hole golf course.

Big. Open. Boring.

We stayed at Caesar Creek State Park in April. It was pretty empty. It is Ohio, after all. They have 282 sites…and when we were there, the only other coach within our loop was right across from us. The area is wooded, but the sites are not. We rode our bikes around, looking for better sites if we ever returned.

It's a nice place to stay for an overnight, or with a group of other campers, but it is big and open. I can't imagine the noise and congestion during the summer.

** We stayed here in a 32 foot motor home.