Albany, OHIO

Most Recent Albany Camping Reviews
Close proximity to natural attractions

Hocking Hills State Park, Oh-Site 89. https://thehockinghills.org/

Hocking Hills State Park offers close proximity to most of the popular natural attractions…Old Man’s Cave, Ash Cave, Cantwell Cliffs, etc….but for a tent camper that prefers solitude and space, I found it unappealing.

I did arrive late on a Monday evening, mid-October and got one of the last available sites. Packed on a Monday night!

I found the camping sites a bit cramped both in depth and width. Site 89 and 90 shared the same parking pad. Limited flat locations existed for a tent and my tent footprint is fairly small. You do have a firepit and picnic table with all three in fairly close proximity, so you must be extremely cautious with wind direction when deciding for a fire, else you’ll have embers dotting your tent and picnic table. Even though the neighbors were trying to be respectfully quiet…you heard every conversation and saw their every move.

No electric, which is fine in my book…the water spigot is centrally located on the loop and happened to be next to my site.

The restroom/shower facilities were not well cared for upon my visit. The floors were very muddy and trash was piled up in the corner of one stall and out of necessities.

Construction and dump truck noise started early with a project behind the restrooms.

The visitor’s center was well-stocked and the employee was pleasant. Cell service is unavailable and even sketchy at the visitor’s center. Wood can be purchased at the visitor’s center.

Close proximity to local attractions and a swimming pool are likely the big draw.

Knowing that I prefer solitude and distance when camping, I’ll likely not return but choose nearby Lake Hope State Park for my local visits.

Non-Electric Quiet Part of the Campground

This was our second weekend in a row coming to this campground, but this time we are in non-electric. We scoped out the site ahead of time and although not our first or second pick, the site turned out to be very nice. It's has a site right behind it, but has a nice size green space for an ez-up. The pad was a nice length and held our small camper and truck with room to spare. The closest bathroom was the handicap porta-potty, but a little further up you use the flush toilets. (no showers) The campground had at least 2 camp hosts and a small camp store. We walked down to the lake. If you like to fish, it's a short walk. This site is further away from the playground, but close to a trail head. We did have a small furry visitor - a very friendly orange cat.

Short Drive to a Small Campground with Trees & Shade - Electric

We visited the campground before we picked a site. We chose site #56 which had electric. It's one of the best sites we found there for it's size, shade and privacy. We set up our camper and our ez-up tent which enclosed our fire ring. There was also a path directly from our site that led to one of the hiking trails. Yay for us and our easy access; however, it also welcomed people to cut through your site. So we put up some flagging tape along the edge of the trail to discourage people and mountain bikers from cutting through our site and using the actual trailhead. We have dogs and the was big enough to walk them around and let them stretch their legs. The campground is pretty small with both electric and non-electric sites. There are two drop toilets next to the playground which were kept clean. In the non-electric area they had porta-potties, but just a short walk away there are two flush toilets. The campground is next to a lake which has a 5 mile loop for both hiking and mountain biking. The lake has a small beach area where you can take your dogs. We liked it so much we booked it again for the following weekend in non-electric.

Amazing!!

We took our family vacation at the end of July to Hocking Hills State Park. The campsite was amazing and we really enjoyed being there. We absolutely will be returning next year. The hiking trails were amazing and my family really enjoyed the hikes.

Nice Remote Campsite

Very beautiful setting! With it being a remote location, it doesn’t seem like they spray for mosquitos. We bombed our campsite the first night, but still got ate up pretty bad even with spray and citronella candles. Pit toilets only, with some having bee/wasps nest in them. They do have a place to empty your grey water, but no black water tank. It seems like some people may have dumped their black tanks into the lake, by the smell and look of it. The water station was broken at our site so we had to travel to another location to get more. No service and no electric hookup.

I know it seems these are are all negative, but just a few things to keep in mind. It is very beautiful and peaceful. I would go back, maybe in the fall with cooler temps. The trees would look pretty and it’s nice since it is free and oftentimes has open spots.

Needs work

Stayed one week with horses, corral falling down, outhouses and shower facilities beyond gross. 3/4 mile from trails, had to ride along very narrow road. Only saw owner once. There are better places to stay and enjoy riding at Hocking Hills. Place could be nice with some work

Awesome campground

Sara and her husband are great very welcoming definitely our go to place when in hocking hills great place to get away! Keep up the great work guys!

Rainy day in Ohio!

Sadly, it was raining the entire time we were at this site. However, the campground was very nice! It was quaint and quiet. Nice view and close to the lake as well! There is a beach about a 10 minute drive away from the camp. Very nice showers and bathrooms!

Amazing state park!

This state park was so amazingly beautiful to me. It was completely unexpected. This campground is basically in walking distance to the old mans cave trail head. This hike is a must and is not strenuous whatsoever. The campground had a pool (closed while I was there) and had nice showers/full bathrooms. Ash cave is another hike in the area that was beautiful.

Didn’t See Any Snow

Lake Snowden is a great alternative to camping at Strouds. The lake is large and clean, with an awesome new “water park” opened during the summer. Great shelters, facilities, and optional bathrooms. Many of the sites are secluded in the woods, while others are more public RV sites. Awesome boating, fishing, and swimming activities nearby!

Basic camping

Really enjoy this spot. Been to it a couple times now. Primitive camping and you can pick a spot right on the river. We were able to walk down from the site and swim. Sites are big enough and plenty of space from neighbors! Only gave 4 stars because spots are first come first serve.

Needs toilets in camp area. Outhouses are gross

This park campground is nice, but lost in time. Outhouses are gross. Usable, but gross. No water hook ups, but a place to fill your tank behind water fountains. Camping is deserted pretty much on weekdays and on weekends the same people camp in the same spots a lot, probably because most spots are not level. Overall I'd give it 4 or 5 stars if they had toilets.

I'd give it 5 stars if they had toilets with water.

The park is nice but in bad need of updating. Outhouses are not appealing and sometimes the lake swimming area is closed due to bacteria from leeching. Most sites are not level. They do have electric though. Water hookup is unavailable but they have a place to fill tanks on each drinking fountain. The staff are nice and you never see them after check in. The lake is now motor accessible with no wake..idle only.

Campground with good extra's

I've been camping here since the late 80's and it has been the best place for camping I've ever been. Now when I say that I'm talking about the camping only, because that's what I come to this website for, is actual campground reviews not park reviews. The amenities are very good for being constructed in the late 80's or early 90's. The showers are very good they even have heated floors for the winter. Their is many water fountains and water spigots.  Their is two playgrounds for children. One is a very old swing set the other is more updated. Their is a trail on each end of the campground that leads to Rose lake, which I did catch a bass at by the way. The campsite does have volunteer's that keep the bathrooms and campsites maintained. The campground entrance is nice with a decent store with fire wood' ice and camping essentials and as you would imagine it is a little over priced. Now be prepared for the Racoons they're pretty bad ass, they WILL get into your things at night so please put anything food related in your vehicle. I have camped all over the united states and this is by far one of the best campsites in America.  I'm a tent camper so I recommend spots 140, 141, 161, and 162 these sites are the most spacious. Enjoy this awesome campground everybody.

Loved it for tent camping

Great camping experience! Waited too late to book in hocking hills state park but found a site here instead. We are tent campers and stayed in site 106 on"Northridge". Loved that the non-electric tent sites were so isolated from the RV campers. Site 107 gets muddy with a lot of rain. Sites 108-112 have a pretty significant slope. Each site in the loop has a picnic table and fire ring. There's a dumpster, pit toilets, and water. It was a short drive to the rest of the campers, a great hot shower, fantastic general store, miniature golf, and the beach to swim or lake to kayak. Took us at least 30 minutes to drive to the common hocking hills hikes but well worth it. We would return.

Ok campground in a beautiful place

Hocking Hills State Park is a very beautiful natural wonder in Ohio, but the state park campground was ok. The main complaint my group had was with the bathrooms. The women's bathroom near our site had 4 stalls - none of which had doors which would close. They were beautiful big, heavy wooden doors, but each was too big to actually close and lock the door! Fixing this may take 1-2 days work, but someone could easily remove the locks, run the doors through a saw to cut off an inch, stain and seal the exposed wood, and re-attached the locks. Old Man's Cave has a brand new welcome center, but the campground still has bathroom doors that don't close. It doesn't make sense to me.

The only other complaint is that the asphalt parking areas at each site are fairly small and there is no parking provided for extra vehicles. Having a large group with people driving separately makes it difficult as there is one parking spot on a site (if you set up a camper).

Other general notes: Many of the sites have a lot of slope, as you are in the hills, though each appeared to have at least one small flat area. The showers are fairly open, with curtains on each shower and a large curtain separating the shower area from the rest of the bathroom. They have a bench, hangers for towels, and a shelf for soap. The showerheads themselves are very nice and always had warm water! Another newer bathroom we visited (near the pool) had been remodeled recently, but was significantly dirtier than the old one. There was mud and toilet paper all over the floor and it was smelly.

Overall, the campground is in a great location. You can easily hike to Old Man's Cave, Rose Lake, Cedar Falls, and the Devil's Bathtub. Most of these trails lead to other areas 4-5 miles away as well. And being within walking distance of the trails, you don't have to worry about parking (and boy was it crowded this Labor Day weekend).

This is a beautiful campground!

Great campground. Very secluded but well taken care of!

Good time

Campsite was large. We had 5 people in 3 tents, and a pretty good size trailer with 5 kayaks loaded and still had more than enough room for everyone. Overall really enjoyable time there. We did have a guy who was in the next site over but he never bothered us. The only bad thing I have to say about the area was the “rest rooms”. Definitely need to have bug spray in hand and possibly your own TP. They were disgusting.

Secret Athens Camping

A close friend lives near this little site. I’ve always wondered what it was like, so we decided to check it out to see if it would be a nice place to camp. It’s quite overgrown and unmaintained. Not many amenities, and is near residential housing, so overall not a great place to camp around Athens. Definitely a cool walk in the woods, however.

Swimming in History

Lake Hope State Park is a cute area nestled in the foothills of Ohio. With Zaleski right next door, there are a ton of cool things to do around the area. There’s a swimming, boating, camping, hiking, backpacking, and a ton of cool historical sites to see. I would recommend getting an Ohio Lizard Map to find some cool secret sites that most don’t get to find in the area.

Great Remote Lake Camping

My family and I used to visit Burr Oak occasionally when I was young. In regards to what to do, activities center around the large lake. There’s an awesome lake with hiking, backpacking, and other forms of water recreation. Wildcat Hollow is another awesome location that is not far away. Overall is a good location, but nothing extremely special. However, there are a lot of lodges and cabins nearby.

Quiet family camping!

First come first served camping with water and pit toilets, large sites, area mostly wooded. Archery range and lots of fishing spots. Great for families with pets too! Had a great time and looking forward to our next visit this weekend! I’d give it more stars if it had a shower house or swim area! Bring your solar shower!

Our stay

We enjoying kayaking and hiking. A half hour drive to hocking hills, and many other parks. We were able to explore many things in our short weekend stay. Beautiful lily pads covered the lake, it was stunning to kayak through. Although, I wished the sites had more trees.

Great place

Wow, the family and I had a great time here. This was our first camping trip with our new camper at the time. Weather was nice in the Spring time when we went. We did end up with a couple inches of snow also one morning. We will be back in the future.

Beautiful Area! Less Than Average Campground.

Hocking hills is freaking amazing! Which is what made staying here OKAY. But this campground was not that awesome. Tiny sites that were basically just cement slates similar to parking lots. Zero trees or privacy (at least where we were) and eye sore dumpsters it felt like every few feet. You COULD however, walk strait into the trail system from there, so that made it worth it. Just don’t plan on spending much time at the campsite, and this place will be fine.

Something for everyone

We stayed on an electric site with tents and we were impressed with how clean and organized the camping areas are. The shower houses were well maintained, though some of the restrooms are aging. The maps/photos do not do justice to the terrain. Like the trails, be prepared to be on a hill, as most sites sit on the hillside. But with easy access to the hiking trails, a fishing lake, and several swing sets for our son, we will absolutely be returning next year.

Non responsive

Hate for my first review to be a bad one on such a great app, however I feel the need to share. Maybe this will make them more responsive. We had a group trip traveling 300 miles to visit Hocking Hills in Ohio. Booked this trip well in advance as this time of year all campgrounds in the HH region are booked solid. Should’ve known when there was availability for three connected sites during prime season there was something fishy. The campground is right on the river and located 15 miles from HH trails. 15 miles in the hills is a 30 drive to the park. Kind of deceiving to say they are in Hocking Hills. The activity center is blocks away from this campground not as it appears on the web as if it were located in the campground. It looks as if it hasn’t been updated for decades. The real issue we had was the accessibility of the sites. The two track road around the campground had standing water of over 12 inches deep that went the width of the two track and about 10 feet long. Two of our sites were so flooded you’d struggle to find enough dry area to pitch our tent. No way you could park a travel trailer, it was an absolute mud pit. Four calls and no answer. First email they replied to with an unapologetic single sentence saying “before last night it hasn’t rained in a month”. Regardless of it being the night after a rainfall the sites were absolutely unusable. After two further emails they still have not replied. Naturally we paid in full before the trip and they refused to refund. Well actually they haven’t refused refund they just haven’t replied nor cared enough too.

Fave Midwest State Park

I get asked "where should we go camping or hiking in the Midwest?" Hocking Hills State Park is always my go-to answer.

It has a ton of different terrains, it's easily accessible from Columbus, OH, and has great hiking opportunities.

This particular campground is amazing because it's located nicely to many hiking trails but far away that you aren't overly crowded so you still get the feeling that you're in nature.

I've been here a ton growing up in the horse campground area, but most recently was there for tent camping. We were surrounded mostly by RVs, but we fit in quite nicely into our site.

The sites were nicely spaced out and the hiking trails were all nearby.

Nice quiet campground! Owners are super friendly!

Nice quiet campground!  Owners are awesome!  Nice level site we were on.  Small swimming lake!  Canoe rental and jet pack “skiing”

Great place!!!!

Clean, located right on Old Mans Caves.  Friendly staff.