The best DRIVE IN camping near
Mantador , NORTH DAKOTA

Most Recent Mantador Camping Reviews
Very quiet, well off the beaten path

We spent a night there in the fall.  It is well off the main road but the dirt road is passable with any rig.  The sites are varied, well kept and some will fit larger rigs.  It is typical forest service dry camping.  There is a hiking trail that circles this small grassland about 5 or 6 miles long.

What is unique about this place is that is an original remnant of the oak/grass prairies that used to cover extensive areas where the forest met the plains.  There is grazing in the grassland but it is very quiet and no light pollution.  Cell service was actually pretty good.

Good place for newbie

I would have giving this place a 3 star as there isn't much to see here except the fair grounds when there is something going on, however this is a good place to do a practice run for newbies. It is only a few miles from Outlet Recreation also which can be handy if you need something from an RV dealer.

Not the best

First off there really aren't very many spots for a camper and from what I've seen for such a nice and semi large park and at least half of the are on a steep incline.

Nasty water

Park is in the city but looks like the water coming from the spigots are pumped straight from the ground with no filtering at all. Water was a disturbing reddish brown color that instantly stained my sinks, toilets, etc. Electric hookups in my site were very loose and seemed sketchy but they did work for us. No shade except for one site. Sites very short and only a couple are remotely level. No on-site dump station, have to go to a gas station a few miles down the road and pay $5. We stayed here for a night while we visited family. If we were there any longer we would have found another campground to move to.

Clean, quiet, inexpensive

Camped one night in late August 2020. Paid$10. Clean, quiet campground with picnic table& iron fire ring/grill at each site. Partial shade. Friendly campers. Hand pump well water. Easy trail, but didn’t see much wildlife. Lots of flies. I would stay here again. See my video review on YouTube. Riding with Stymie

Dispersed camping

Oldest son and I hiked into the east side of the Sheyenne Grasslands on the NCT. We had parked at the Ekre trailhead, deciding to hike past the Ekre campsite. We set up our tent as soon as we got into the boundaries as a thunder and lightening storm began. The next morning we hiked the 3 miles into Jorgens Hallow, the actual campground on the Grassland. There we refilled our water, used the vault toilets and continued on our way on the NCT across the grasslands.

Campground Perfect for an NCT Section Hike

Lots of campsites here and not many of them being used this Memorial Day weekend (thank you, COVID-19). This allowed for a pretty distanced visit and relatively quiet experience in the middle of the country. If it was full, it could have been loud. Horses are also welcome here, so there are some horse noises that may be startling if not expected (clanking metal, etc). Great stargazing. Clean water and vault toilets. Great access to the NCT. Great signage. Well kept. I enjoyed my stay here.

Cleanest campsite

Didn’t expect much in graceville but we were blown away. Situated right between a lake and a golf course. Very clean camp sites. Had a blast.

BUsy campground alot to do

Busy/Full campground with alot of activities. Campground has canoe rentals, playground, beach, Disc Golf course, hinking path to an island and two boat docks.

Good roadside stop

Small, clean city campground. Decent bathroom/shower facilities. Electric sites share a pedestal between two sites, so think about which side you want to be on when you reserve on RA.

In the morning (6:30 am) we were met with a questionable hustler that didn’t appear to have a place reserved, moved to three different sites, and approached us with numerous mechanical and other questions (“How do I plug in my camper? Do you have an extra fuse? How much does a fuse cost?”. Not sure what that was about, but keep your guard up (always).