Elizabeth City, NORTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Elizabeth City Camping Reviews
GREAT GET AWAY

Located between Wanchese and Manteo, this little RV park is a quiet getaway. Turning into the property you will find all of the grounds very clean and well maintained. Each site has full connections along with a picnic table. A number of sites back up to the water where one can enjoy fishing for flounder or blue crab. Or just enjoy a nice walk around the shoreline and along the piers. The touristy spots are 15-20 minutes away providing an opportunity to enjoy some seclusion. A well maintained pool is onsite as well a pavilion for some larger group get togethers. A bath house with very clean facilities. A place to do your own laundry. A convenience store is next door as well as a hardware store however you almost would never realize it as it is never noisy or distracting. If you are looking for a place along the coast for a break from the road, or a week of quiet, you will not be disappointed here.

We had a wonderful time!

First Landing State Park is a great place, especially if you want beach access! We also have a large tipi tent (15’x15’), so we need a larger than normal space…and they have it! It’s also very nice to see pictures of the camping spots before you pick, ensuring that we get a spot that meets our desires.

Great family campsites

My extended family has been camping here for years. The facilities are great and there is easy access to the beach. Would definitely recommend to any family that wants to start camping or anyone who wants an easy camping experience.

Clean Family park

Very nice and quiet rv park with plenty to do. Rented a cabin. Very lovely and very modern cabin that’s sure to not disappoint. There house cleaning crew does a great job in timely manner which allows for early check in a lot of times. Spacious cabins as well

Nice and relaxing

Best campground in the Va Beach area. 1 mile roughly to the ocean front but they have there own beach parking lot and provide you with a parking pass for use. Nice cozy stores. Several pools to choose from so you don’t have to be packed in at one main pool with all the campground guests. Wooded with nice sized sites and plenty of wildlife. Have stayed 4 times and plan to have many more stays in the future

State park within the city with easy access to the bay.

First Landing was great. There are several campsites that range from basic to rv. They even have yurts and cabins to stay in. Easy access to bathrooms, fresh water, and the boardwalk down to the Chesapeake bay. There are so many options for water activities, but since I went during October and it rained, I stuck to hiking the trails and walking the beach. The staff was very accommodating and knowledgeable. The campsite was great too even if a bit close to the main road.

Ok campground, but lots to do!

The campground at Northwest River Park is small and pretty basic. For a tent camper that is used to wooded, private sites these leave much to be desired. There is not much privacy. The campground was full the night we stayed there and very busy and noisy through the night. We stayed on a Memorial Day weekend though so maybe it is not typically like that. All night our young children were woken up by the noise from the nearby RV's AC units.

What this park lacks in it's campground, it makes up for in it's recreational activities! There is a putt-putt course! Canoeing! Tons of hiking trails! Multiple playgrounds! Lots of wide open space for kids to run and play! Fishing! This is an excellent park for kids and families to come for the day!

Overall not a horrible experience but this is the closest campground to our house and we have not felt the need to come back and stay overnight. Maybe would be better for camping mid-week when it's not so busy.

Nice for a quick stay

Most of the sites are full time sites. Only like 15 to rent. There is a decent bath house and decent pool. Has a nice trail to walk around the pond. Sites are a bit small.

Love this campground!

Lots of things for kids to do! Pool, putt-putt, ice cream shop and so much more. The beach isn't great, you have to go out pretty far to really be in the water, but other then that it works great even has an outdoor shower right on the beach. They have fantastic bathhouses, they are each private. Nice large spots. Only negative is to watch out for snakes.

The peaceful side of Virginia Beach

We used to be VA Beach Oceanfront partners, but now with three small kids that side of the city has become really hard for us. We tried first landing this year with the camper and LOVED it. We were booked for four night but were evacuated today because of the hurricane, spent three nights total and we already plan on booking at least a week next year. The beach is CALM and uncrowded. Tons of wildlife, lots of hiking opportunities, but when you decide you want to have someone else cook you a meal, the strip is a 10 min drive and many places offer free valet parking if you dine there.

There is laundry on site, lots of space between sites (massive tent sites, RV sites are all separated by trees and shrubbery) and a store with ample supplies. Bring newspaper for campfires, they sell wood but no newspapers.

Labor Day Weekend🏕

We had a really nice time!! Our site was small for five people and two dogs (site 87) but it worked just fine! EXCEPT for the number of mosquitoes this time of year. Omg I’ve been bit SO many times. Take your itch cream if going in the swamp season of August lol.

Only complaint: I’ve never camped on a holiday weekend before, and while I did anticipate a lot of people and families utilizing the facilities, I wish the staff had staffed accordingly. All three times I went to the restroom in the bathhouse, my stall had no toilet paper on either spool. The showers were filthy with blobs of hair and baby wipes and foul smells, and the garage cans were overflowing with rancid trashbags. The recycling bin was full of garbage, due to the dumpster being full. People were constantly driving the wrong way on one-way streets, not staying on the paths. Ideally there should have been more patrolling and more mindfulness towards the influx of waste/need for cleanings and restocking of common areas. But I get it; it was BUSY. P.S. the bathhouse venting are brutal - get a site away from those! While it’s convenient, when there are that many people, it’s rough.

I was so happy to see so many people utilizing our state parks! So many families (LARGE groups, too) were definitely taking advantage of the swimming and large sites. So wonderful to see.

We also took the short drive into VA Beach and walked the boardwalk. We hopped on at the Neptune Statue and walked a few blocks, heard some live music, got ice cream.

FL is a lovely state park and has a cool location. We will definitely be back, just not on such a busy weekend and during such mosquito-awful weather ☀️

LOCAL TIPS:

Dockside Seafood and Bubba’s Seafood are awesome. I’ve gotten fresh fish from both. Most recently we got a pound of shrimp and a pound of … I want to say mahi … but anyway, both from Bubba’s and very fresh. We cooked it all at the campsite with seasonal veggies and rice ✌🏼

If you like jalapeño poppers, you HAVE to go to Froggie’s while you’re in the area. Went with a large group and got to try many things, all were really good!

Not bad

Campsites are nice but be careful the wooden borders is included in dimensions. Nice bathrooms with hot showers. Over 5 miles of easy hiking good for everyone. Gas station right outside visitor center entrance in case you forget anything. Not very many people here so its nice and quiet.

Beautiful! Will be back

Clean, friendly, spacious! We will be back! We are here for Labor Day weekend and thought it would be insane but it's amazing . There is a ton to do with activities, the pool and even outdoor movies! It's quiet at night and everyone is happy and friendly!

wow

This place was really unlike any campground I've been to. I've hit some pretty remote places, but this one was different because it was on the beach but still out in the middle of nowhere. I think we went about 7 miles before we got to our campsite, and I think the closest sites from the parking area were 5 or 6. Really there wasn't hardly anyone else out there, so it felt like we had our own private beach. We hiked out to our spot, but we saw some people biking into theirs.

There was a little gift shop when you first came in, so if you really need something you can hike back out to get it. Not too much else out here though besides hiking trials and the ocean.

The most stunning part was definitely the sunsets. No two looked the same, and I attached a bunch of pictures here to show ya. Nothing better than a beach sunset. Plus there are a ton of different types of birds out there if you like wildlife. Also, the saltwater fishing in the area was great. My cousin even caught a few baby sharks.

This was a great way to get away from civilization for a bit and enjoy the beach. Definitely better than going to a touristy beach town. Would really recommend this spot!

Girls trip!

No better park for a girl’s trip! We had SO MUCH room to ourselves and so much privacy. The private boardwalk to the beach and the beach itself was so quiet and isolated. Perfect for families, groups, or solo hikers alone. One of my girlfriends is a runner and she found the campground very relaxing to run a few miles through. Always a great time at FL!

P.S. bring bug spray!!!

Great beach campground

Normally in my experience campgrounds at the beach don't tend to be as nice as campgrounds out in the mountains. North Bay Shore Campground, however, was actually really nice. We didn't spend a whole lot of time there, because we were at the beach most of the day. The campground was really nice to come back to for a break though. It had a pool, arcade, and volleyball nets for when we got tired of being at the beach. Also it had wifi, which is one thing that you can't always find in a campground.

Virginia beach is a neat little town. The beach does get pretty crowded, but there's a ton to do in the area. We mini golfed of course, but we found this cool arcade/indoor mini golf place. There's tons of those little beach shops to blow your money at and a lot of great restaurants. Go visit the cool Neptune statue! Pretty nice trip!

Hometown fun

I have spent my childhood here and I am excited to share it with my kids. We hike here when visiting grandparents. Chesapeake Public Park’s does a great job with events and education at NWRP! Equestrian trails available, which is always a plus.

nice family campground

Nice place for families and rv's, stopped here for a night on the way to Colonial Williamsburg well kept nice facilities just a bit expensive for what i needed. Cool swimming area, this seems to be the only decent spot around.

Wish I could have checked it out!

Arrived here before sun down and planned on hiking in to camp, but was stopped by virginia beach police! Myself and two others were turned away without reason, your'e supposed to park and hike in but an officer was waiting there telling people to leave. Given there was a music festival right down the street with hooligans runnin around, they probably didn't want certain types staying the night here and i guess i fit the bill! Might have to come back and try again..

Basic but nice

Many longer term campers with a few sites for short term campers. Only stayed overnight and didn’t use the bathhouse

Good Military Only Campground

Clean and spacious…quiet until reveille.

Great for Memorial Day weekend

Your about a mile to the beach the rv sites look every well kept the primitive slot we’re nice a little small for what it is, but you just feel packed in which it’s no state park and I get that. The pool they have is super nice had fun the whole time.

Beautiful but noisy

The tent sites at this campground were gorgeous. Deep and private-feeling and well shaded. But so close to the road. I saw the map that clearly indicates Shore Drive running alongside the campground and I thought, “It can’t be that close!” But it is. Four lanes of 55mph traffic running within 25 yards of all the tent sites on the south side of the campground. We had such a fun time, despite the noise and lack of sleep, that we will almost certainly go back, but will definitely book one of the interior loop sites or maybe even one of the 20’ camper sites instead. Additional points: multiple daily nature programs for all ages in summer, really helpful staff, but the “camp store” doesn’t sell camp supplies or groceries except ice and firewood.

Great jump off spot

Stayed here overnight and spent my days at Sandbridge Beach and the Outer Banks. Friendly staff, and nice tent spots along the canal. Only downfall was the boat launch was next to my sight, and I was woken up at 6:30 every morning with guys launching their bass boats.

Great RV Park

Great spot. Water front / sunset . Cool bar with a pool table right up the road . Good location. RV Park very well maintained and nice folk around.

BACK TO NATURE

I stayed in one of their cottages during October. The cottage is furnished, has a queen size bed and 2 sets of bunk beds; nice living room/dining room combo, full kitchen with dishes, pots, etc.; TV; fireplace; outside deck with grill; and screen porch. There is also a firepit for enjoying the relaxing fire and evening quiet. You have to bring your own firewood. There is a grocery store about 6 minutes away for convenience. Trails, access to the Chesapeake Bay, Spanish moss. manned Visitor Center, privacy and security.

1st Landing has

Enjoyed this campground so much we came back again!

We made this our main destination during our family vacation last year and enjoyed it so much that we came back again this year. They did not disappoint and we had an equally fantastic stay. Not much has changed since our stay last year which is fine as we really enjoyed the resort like amenities for our vacation destination. We spend a lot more time on the boardwalk of Virginia Beach this year enjoying the music and taking in the sights. My kids love the pools and activities provided by the campground as well. The campground does offer rental bikes but we brought our own this year and rode the quick 3 miles to the boardwalk during the day. This is not your normal campground and has a resort feel for a decent price. We will be back again but might put a couple years between to mix things up for our next trips. We spent 11 days on the road for this trip coming from Chicago. We spent 5 days here as our main stay.

Great family getaway!

Cabins are awesome at this KOA. Clean full-service with all amenities. Even shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, and handsoap are provided. Camp store with everything you might need at reasonable prices. Multiple pools, water slides, playground, and games for all ages.

Love it

I love this little place in Elizabeth City. There is a little tiny beach nearby & it provides a beautiful view in during sunrise/sunset. There is not much else to do in the area but it is about an hour drive to the OBX so not too bad. I would suggest visiting at least once.

Nice place

Stayed here a few nights for a local baseball tournament. Quiet and clean. Was too hot for any of the “normal” camping experiences. Very accommodating personnel.