the dyrt
Alamance, NORTH CAROLINA
Most Recent Alamance Camping Reviews
Urban hiking

This park offers miles of hiking within Raleigh. You would never realize you were in Raleigh. It’s a great escape from traffic and noise a city can bring.

Nice hiking and fishing

Bathhouses are ok, hiking trails are good and has a nice fishing pier. Sites are anywhere from close to plenty of distance apart.

Great hike-to campsites

Easy 1 mile hike from the parking lot with beautiful views! This is the best primitive camping I have found near Raleigh, NC. Permits are required and available at the park office for $13. Make sure you bring a water filter and TP.

Fall into a Glass lake

This lake was incredible. We ended up camping right beside the lake. The facilities were well taken care of. Plenty of space and room for cars. there wasn't as many trees per campsite unless you were in certain areas of the park. Neighbors friendly and park staff would go around for safety checks. The sunrise was the most stunning view. 10/10 would recommend.

Would be great if you have a boat

Sites are a little tight but, the view of the water was very nice. They have a snack bar, marina, fishing dock ,pool and picnic area.

Nice value and clean sate park

Great Campsites, nice wooded sites and close to lake access. Great hiking trails and very family friendly. Deer walked right behind our site. Boat ramp in campground. Swim area and playground.

Convenient to home

Nice place for a quick weekend getaway.

Decent older campground showing its age.

Holly Bluff is ok for a quiet getaway. It's an older place that they're trying to keep up with decent landscaping, etc. The mini-golf was in disrepair and closed. The game room was locked. The pool was good. The staff is friendly. Many 'permanent' trailers are in place, with gaudy outside decorations. Dog friendly, but we saw some running free. Hookups, picnic tables, and fire rings were on level sites. Rates are good, but they only accept cash or check.

Convenient to Triad Area

Very neat, clean and wooded campground. Large sites. Boating. Swimming. Close to interstates but not noisey. Can accommodate large rigs and have an open area for those traveling in tandum.

Best family Camping in my opinion in the area

I love camping here with the family. Plenty of drive up campgrounds close enough together that you can camp with plenty of sites close enough together that you can have lots of people camping together but still remaining a comfortable distance apart. They also have nice bathing facilities for those who dont want to rough it.

Good place to picnic and hike

Love hiking here with the family and friends plenty of beautiful family and pet friendly trails.

family friendly

Very Family-friendly. It’s best if you can get a site near the beach if you have kids Otherwise you’ll end up driving them back-and-forth. lots of sites. If you’re willing to not be near the beach there are some pretty sites with the lake just steps away. Very pretty backdrop. So

Great large campground

Though larger in # of sites, has many amenities you may need. Water, grills, tables, swimming beaches, showers, boat ramps, paddling access, fishing, wildlife-plenty. Be careful, gate hours are enforced. Nice size group sites.

Great for Groups

This is a favorite for our large group of families. Many of the group sites butt up to the lake. The central fire pit, picnic tables, water spigot and clean restrooms make this a popular choice. Easy car camping in close proximity to the greater Triangle make this a great destination, especially for families and beginner campers. Falls Lake allows for kayaking, floating or just splashing in the water and enjoying the sandy beach.

OK for an overnight stop, if you can handle the road noise

We stayed in site #18, which was a FHU pull-through. The site was fairly level, but quite short. Not enough room for us to keep our truck in front of our pop-up, which is what we look for in quick overnight stops. Also, it was a bit of a walk to the bath house, even though I specifically requested a site close to the bath house when I booked the reservation 8 months prior.

Bath house was ok. It was clean enough, but you could tell it was extremely old, and needed to be completely redone instead of just painted over. That was the general theme for much of the campground; very old, not particularly attractive or welcoming, and in need of a face-lift. The laundry room, however, was very nice, clean, and well-lit. I believe they only recently converted to a KOA, so it seemed like they were in the middle of some needed capital improvements. Still not worth the KOA prices at this time, in my opinion. Had a minor customer service issue at check-in, but decided the annoyance wasn't worth making a big deal so I got over it pretty quickly. Additionally, they closed the office at 7pm, which I found out when I went back to get some change for laundry after we set up. Being that this is a KOA Journey, one of the supposed features of this designation is extended office/check-in hours for travelers coming in for overnight stops, so I was surprised by this. However, the owners ended up pulling up right then to check on something in the office, and they very graciously agreed to get me some change while they were in there.

One other item of note: this CG is located right off I-40, which is very convenient, but the road noise is loud and constant. I had already expected this from reading other reviews, and they did make a bowl of free, disposable ear plugs available in the office, which was a nice gesture. The combination of the said ear plugs and exhaustion from a long day on the road allowed me to sleep pretty well, but if you’re at all sensitive to noise, it would be a deal-breaker.

It seems Greensboro offers all modern conveniences, and lots of things to do, but we didn’t explore beyond the CG.

Overall, this was an OK overnight stop for us between the Smokies and OBX (an almost perfect halfway point). Location is very convenient to the highway if you can handle the road noise. I wouldn’t stay here for more than a night, and honestly, if we were to take the same trip again, I’d likely look for a quieter (and certainly cheaper) option, even if it meant going a few miles out of the way.

Camping at Jordan Lake

Great place to camp!! Very empty during the weekdays (which is great) but the bathrooms are closed Mon-Fri

Perfectly relaxing!

Such a beautiful, relaxing campground! Some sites are on the lake and close enough to pull your boat up to the shore. The bathhouse has a lot to be desired. Beach is nice and the sites are spacious. I love this campground!

Great Views

The tent campsites are right next to the water with beautiful views of the lake. You can kayak directly to your campsite. There’s also a swimming beach with pfds, grills, and picnic tables available. Each campsite has a trash can, picnic table, and fire pit. The only issue we had was the drinking water. The water pump next to our campsite produced brown water. We had to bring large jugs of bottled water to use instead.

Plan to stay!

Great campground but we were limited due to rain! Nice secluded camping sites with space between. Large sites made it easy to set up multiple tents or camper and tent. Beautiful beach we didn’t get to take advantage of but would love to go back!

Scenic family campground overlooking Jordan Lake. Fishing and boating...lei

Reservations are a must to get the best spots. Apply sunscreen and bring some water toys:)

Our First NC Camping Experience

Jordan Lake was the perfect place to start our camping adventures! Our spot was mostly shaded which was perfect for our dog, and we were able to walk into the lake from our spot! The site had everything we needed (picnic table, fire ring, trash hang etc.) The bathrooms did run out of toilet paper, so I’d bring your own just in case. We’ll be back though!

Secluded, small amenities, pack in/pack out

This camp ground requires a bit of a hike to get to (3.5 miles). Packing everything in and out was fun but there was no running drinking water at the site. The campground had a gravel base and picnic table with fire pit. The grail was very painful to sleep on. There were also few trees so we could see other campers at nearby sites. The hike to the grounds was by far the best part. A beautiful walk along Eno river with lots of animals along the way (including deer).

Peaceful and dense area with good amenities

This campground is right on a lake allowing for drive in campground with a body of water to swim, kayak, and enjoy only 100 yards away. Showers, bathrooms, and running drinking water is nearby. Campgrounds are close but separated by trees and forest to create privacy.

Woodsy and beautiful

This is one of my favorite campgrounds. Located on a semi rural area, the sites are very wooded and quiet. There was a lake nearby with an open sky where you could see hundreds of stars at night. Pets are allowed and the bathrooms are in good shape.

Beautiful hike into the group sites

Be smart about what you pack to hike into these campsites, the walk isn't far but you do have to cross a bridge. They have nice hiking trails throughout the park. The parking lot is close enough to the campsites so you don't have to bring everything into the site. Be prepared that you may have to gather firewood on your own, it isn't always provided.

Nice and quiet campsites

I stayed on the cove of Holly point. These are very nice and quiet sites.

Good options if you would like some privacy while camping. They also have good spots for fishing and small boat launches( canoe's, and kayaks)

Perfect piedmont. Quick getaway from the city.

I have stayed at the lodges thrice and once ended up sleeping in my hammock. Good variety in hiking trail distances.

Great spot to camp with your family!

Everything at the camp ground is well kept and maintained. All the sites have a bathroom within a short walk depending on the site you stay at. Has a barbecue grill/ firepit at each campsite as well, very great place to camp with your family food lion and local stores also within 15 min drive. Also has playgrounds for the kids and a beach area on the lake with kayak and boat launch areas.

relaxing

Sites are right on the lake, perfect for kayaking. The sites are close together but still semi private. Lots of short hikes and a swimming area.

I have stayed in the group camping sites many times and loved it.

there are historic cabins with cots to sleep on

there is electricity in the cabins.