Alamance, NORTH CAROLINA
Most Recent Alamance Camping Reviews
So Much Adventure

The camp site was great. I had a pull thru site that provided more than enough space. Two cars and a camper could easily park in the drive, while a pop-up shelter and a tent also had plenty of space to not feel overly crowded. The swim beach was a half mile hike away through the mountain to sea trail. I opted out of swimming on July 4th due to crowding, but the next day was perfect. Soft sand covered the beach and warm yet comfortable water temperatures allowed for a refreshing dip or just relaxing on a float. The fishing piers were great too. The public access one had a bit of wear, but that didn’t stop a variety of fish from biting. We also watched graceful herons and playful aquatic turtles hunting for there dinner as we fished. The marina looked fabulous, but due to pop up storms we didn’t get to launch our kayaks. The bath houses were reasonably clean for a holiday weekend. Park rangers regularly monitors the site, so we felt very safe. I would recommend this location to anyone who loves adventure.

Its the small things that count

The trees in the area make the area just cooler camped outside not an issue cool in the day chilly at night, trash was taken care of twice a day, bath area were taken care of i like that there were showers and bath rooms were in the same area but were separate being on different sides, staff was nice let us go through find a site and stay, a little pricey but it was a electric site and its a park service camp ground will stay again

Mud hole, the site we had was under water after a light rain and didn’t dry

There is a lot of workers staying here and they are right next door to us

Things go missing

Nice place

This is a great pl;ace to camp, I strongly recommend poplar point campground. The lake is gorgeous, lot of places to swim, launch your boat, kayak. I do a lot of wildlife photography so there is no shortage of animals to take pictures of, my go to's are the eagles and the osprey. The only down side to camping here is that it gets really full so in order to get a good site you will have to make reservations way in advance. If you are not picky about where you stay and don necessarily need to be near the water or bath houses then you are in business, but if you want to pick some of the better sites, then good luck, you may as well make reservations months in advance, even then you may have some difficulty. Still strongly recommended, the sites are huge and have plenty of room. The sites have electric, 30 and 50 amp connections, water. There is no sewer at the sites, however the parks do offer dump stations on your way out. Rates are cheaper than most places.

Campground on a lake, in the midst of suburbia

Oak Hollow Campground is located in High Point NC.  It is immediately off the highway and just a couple turns through neighborhoods and you arrive at the campground.  You turn left off the main road, across from the golf course and pass by both the tennis center and the gazebo with the covered picnic tables.  You can hear both the highway and neighborhood traffic from the campground.

When we pulled up, the first thing we noticed was the campground sign, with the electric gate with a key code.  We also were immediately greeted by a man on a golf-cart - which made us feel like they take care of who is in and out of their campground.

Pulling in, all registration and fees can be paid in the little brown building on the right.  There were many signs on the door giving us all the info we needed, seeing as the attendant was out.

We pulled through loop A and could hear music - we guessed from the lake, but soon realized it was from a house in the nearby neighborhood.  Several of the sites in loop A were crooked, but an RV could level acceptably.

Loop B was an RV loop - consisting primarily of a gravel parkinglot and RV's stacked one after the other.  The lake was an easy walk from this loop - and also had a gazebo with picnic tables underneath and 2 swings, doggie pick up stations, recycling and trashcans.

Loop C was the tent sites - many with interesting platforms that gave us a good view of the lake.  This view came at a price though - the sites were just off the road - meaning 4 or 5 feet from the road.  We parked strategically so the kids would always be between our van and our site - but there was no room for exploration on their own.

Continuing on down the road, we came to Loop D which was another RV parking lot.  There was a semi-permanent gate separating the neighborhood from this parking lot - but people could easily walk in and out in this area.

There was coin laundry, vending machines and a sink for washing dishes at the bathhouse.  Toilets, showers and changing areas were provided inside and a fenced in pool just behind the bathhouse.

This is not a campground we would frequent - but I could imagine people staying here if visiting from out of town or if they needed to crash for a night.  The views were beautiful down by the lake - but it was clear we were in suburbia.

This is no longer a campground.

This is no longer a campground.

Nice spot for a bit of seclusion

Only three sites on this little out of the way fire trail. We go to the end of the road for complete privacy. No amenities other than a fire pit.

Love it

Will go back again an again. Site 10 our 11 are the best.

Lake access and large spots

Wide spots are easy to get in and out of even with more than one vehicle. Some spots are doubles so camping with friends is very easy. The hiking trail to the boat launch is the the shade but lots of bugs! Nice swim areas. We arrived mid week and it was not crowded, the weekend filed the campground but everyone was pleasant. I would highly recommend and will be coming back!

Great Place

Very nice and quiet campground. Many beautiful trails and great views of the lake.

NICE Camp grounds

Quiet. Easy access to the lake. Some really good hiking trails. Closer access to the Mountains to Sea trail.

State Park with Biking, Hiking, and Fishing Opportunities

The name of the park is deceiving because it is not in the mountains, but it has beauty in its meandering streams and trails.  The campsites have gravel tent pads, and tents must be set up on them.  The gravel on the site where I stayed was deeper than my tent stakes were long, and I could not get a good hold.  I was trying out a newly required tent, which was not freestanding, so it was frustrating.  My advice is to make sure you take a tent that IS freestanding.  Deep gravel tent pads and non-freestanding tents do not go together.  The tent site was large, had a fire ring, and a lantern pole, but the pad itself was NOT level.  I had to move the picnic table so I could set up my tent on the only level spot I could find.  Something you have to be careful about is poison ivy.  There was poison ivy all around the perimeter of my campsite.  The bathroom facilities were surprisingly modern and had spacious showers with hot water.  As far as I know, there are no electrical, sewer, or water hookups, but there is a dump station.  There is a mixture of pull-through sites and back in sites for RVs.  There are plenty of trails to explore, and plenty of fishing holes.  The Bluff Loop Trail leads from the campground and along Fishing Creek.  To see Medoc “mountain,” you have to hike quite a distance, or you can drive to the park office down the road and hike from there.  Cross the road to the Bear Swamp Trail, get on the Saponi Loop (which is also a bicycle trail), and then head to the Summit Loop Trail.  There are several miles of bicycle trails as well as hiking trails, and some of them are one way only, meaning that hikers are required to hike in one direction and bicycles go in another direction.  Even though this is in the Coastal Plain, the Bluff Loop Trail will take you by a couple of sections of whitewater.  They are small, but if you like a (mostly) easy hike through the forest, this trail is a good one.  There are no swimming pools or playgrounds, but if you want to just enjoy nature, there are hiking, biking, and fishing opportunities.

Friendly place but small and on a huge hill.

We stayed at the Electric and water campsite at the bottom of the hill.  The lots were nice but rather small and close together.  There's not a lot of room off the pad for tents etc.  The road through the campground is rather steep and could be hard for large trailers or class A's.  It's also quite a walk to the shower building from most areas.  The pool is nice and well maintained as is the pavilion where they hold events.  The bathrooms leave a little to be desired.  There are only two showers and 3 toilets for men and the same for women.  There are additional bathrooms by the Pavilion but those aren't convenient from most of the campground.  Most of the lower sites are VERY hilly and would make it very difficult to find a large level area for an RV or large tent.  The owners and long termers seem very friendly and welcoming.  The pond is beautiful and pretty good for some fishing with the kids (we caught a bunch of tiny little panfish that would be fun for kids…  a fish every cast).

Great Spot

Primitive camping has drive in, picnic table, fire ring, tent spot, and trails starting at your back door ⛺️

sitting by a fire watching the sunset across the lake

the dog and i decided to go camping last minute and what’s easier than driving up, parking and sitting up a tent right on the water. roasting vegan hot dogs over the campfire and watching the sunset with the pup in no time.

Nice, quiet campground

Enjoyed a weekend at this campground that had a pond for fishing, pool, rec area with pool table, arcade games, etc. Clean bathhouses. Shady camp spots. There seems to be some full time campers there but their sites are neat and clean, and they all seemed kind. Some roads may be a problem for larger rigs but we had no issues in our popup. It seemed the larger rigs were near the front of the campground where roads were fine. Note: this campground is within a mile of the NC Zoo. The VisitNC.com website touts you can hear elephants, lions, and monkeys from the NC zoo at this campground, but sadly this is not true and was the reason I chose to camp here. (Imagine waking up to these sounds!) Otherwise, we had a very relaxing weekend. Would return if in the area. Note: town is about 10 min away. There is a golden corral with an awesome breakfast buffet if you get lazy one morn and dont want to cook. Happy trails :)

Amazing paths

Love this place! Lots of great paths to walk.

Closest RV sites to downtown Raleigh

We needed to stop in Raleigh for the night and stayed here. It's quiet and huge and full hookups for $30/night. Call the number when you get close and the attendant will meet you to show you to your spot. There are 30 and 50 amp spots. I went for a jog around the fairgrounds; it's sprawling.

All time favorite

Fabulous campground. Sites right on the lake. Boating , hiking. Fishing and Friendly people

Beautiful scenery, Amazing experience

I went camping with a bunch of classmates here and we absolutely loved it! The hike into the campsite from the parking lot was longer than we expected but not too bad in terms of difficulty, and absolutely beautiful to walk. The campsite was great, it had a nice layout and enough space for us to all comfortably fit. You cross the Eno river on the walk in on this cute little bridge, and the river is beautiful. It's also so close to the campsite and very easy to go hangout around and explore. We had an absolute blast!!

Wonderful Campground!

Under new ownership since Aug’14! Beautiful and Peaceful Campground. Great location, a minutes away from the NC State Zoo, Asheboro Downtown, gas stations, post office, grocery stores, big shopping malls and great restaurants! Friendly Owners and Staffs! Very Clean Bathroom! Beautiful Pools for the public.

One Section of a State Recreation Area with Primitive Camping

This state recreation area deserves five stars, but I am reviewing only the New Hope Overlook area. I had stayed at this state recreation area in a popup camper before in a different area, and that was several years ago. This last time, a friend of mine and I stayed in a tent in the primitive area at New Hope Overlook. When we got to the gate, we were told there was no water, but I had a water filter. To camp, you have to backpack in several hundred feet, and select a site. When I went to the lake to filter water, the water was still brown, so we decided to go to the closest convenience store and buy bottled water. It was a great campout because it was my friend's bachelor party, and all he wanted to do for a bachelor party was to go camping with his best man. In this camping area, you have to tie your food bag up into a tree. There is a fire pit in each campsite, and there is a picnic table. The next day when we went fishing at the lake, which was s short hike through the woods, I was shocked by the amount of litter washed up on the shore and into the woods, included but not limited to, tires, oil bottles, drink cans, water bottles, and lots of everything else. The lake itself (at least at the shoreline) was nasty!!!!!!! It is a great area if you want to just be outdoors, but the best way to enjoy the full experience at Jordan Lake is to take a boat or a kayak, enjoy the swimming beach, and stay where there is potable water.

For my previous experience, I camped with my wife in a more developed campground at the lake. It has modern bath facilities, a swimming beach, boat access, etc. There are also a few trails. As I stated earlier, I would normally rate this state recreation area five stars, but the primitive camping at New Hope Overlook only deserves three stars.

A State Park with Primitive Camping, Fishing, Paddling, and Good Hiking

I would personally rate this as a four or five star campground for my taste, but since rating systems have to consider everything, I only rate it a three. Why? Many campers want the luxuries of RV sites with water, electricity, and sewer … and lots of amenities such as a swimming pool camp store, horseshoes or basketball, etc. You will not find any of that here. That's why I would personally rate it at four or five stars. I LOVE this state park because of its primitive nature. The trails take you into rolling hills and beside the Eno River, which is great for paddling a canoe or kayak. I have stayed at this campground before and revisited it several times. The park is divided into at least three sections, and to get to the primitive camping areas, you have to backpack in. The only facilities are pit toilets with no showers or running water. That is why you need to be prepared and take in your own water and toilet paper. The first time, I stayed at the Fews Ford area, but that campsite area moved to a different location in Fews Ford since then. This time I was in the Cole Mill section. The trails I took before and also this time are easy to moderate. The Cole Mill and Bobbitt Hole trails are connected, and I took both. The Bobbitt Hole trail takes you to a bend in the Eno River where some people go in to cool off. The trail beside the river is really pleasant and easy. One of my favorite sections to hike is in the Fews Ford area, and in order to get to the camping area, you have to cross a suspension bridge. For those who don't like "bouncy" foot bridges, avoid this one. There is also a group camping area and a cabin for groups during stormy weather. There are no doors--just doorways. This state park is long since it follows the Eno River, so don't expect to see everything it offers unless you are willing to spend at least a week exploring it. There are a couple of canoe access areas if you are interested, and there are picnic facilities. The most difficult trail (that I remember) is the Cox Mountain Trail. It is at least moderate. With all that said, this is not a park for RVers, but it is a great park if you like hiking, canoeing, or primitive camping.

Beyond Beautiful

Reserve online to assure a spot. Every single space is HUGE, even the tent only sites. Lake views are everywhere. There are various loops for tents and RV's. Water for tents; water and electric for campers. 2 different dump sites. Firewood in 2019 is $5. Must be in the campground by 8 pm before the gates are locked.

Beaches will be cleaned up after heavy spring rains. Plenty of sand for swimming, boat docks, and fishing.

Chapel Hill, Durham and Raleigh easy drives for sightseeing. Weekend camping traffic is gone and there has been silence.

Will probably be crazy here in the summer but would like to return in the fall mid-week.

Peaceful, secluded

We camped here during Thanksgiving. It's a county run campground so the employees were off during Thanksgiving so they gave us a key to the gate if we needed to leave when no-one was there. The campground is primarily designed for small campers but there are a few spots that would accommodate campers in the 40 foot range. Three are two loops, one for RVs and one for tent campers. The loop for RVs has a one way curvy road to the loop. The bathhouse isn't in the loop it is at the top of the hill. The site that is closest to the bathhouse is site 27 and it will accommodate large campers. The dump station isn't near the RV loop it is near the tent loop.

Very peaceful

We've stayed at Reidsville Lake Campground twice this year so far. There are eight lakefront sites. The sites closer to the water are provided with power and water. The sites near the entrance have power, water and sewer hookup. Starting in July 2019 the campground will also have WiFi.

Can't get enough

We've camped here 2 or 3 times now and we can't get enough of this park. It is huge, covered in hiking trails like Mountains to Sea Trail and Falls Lake Trail. The dogs love it, the camp sites are beautiful and clean. The bathhouse wasn't quite warm enough for showers in November temps, when we tented. January was just as cold, but we rented a camper. The lake is gorgeous. Love sitting by the campfire and staring up through the trees at the moon and stars.

Urban hiking

This park offers miles of hiking within Raleigh. You would never realize you were in Raleigh. It’s a great escape from traffic and noise a city can bring.

Nice hiking and fishing

Bathhouses are ok, hiking trails are good and has a nice fishing pier. Sites are anywhere from close to plenty of distance apart.

Great hike-to campsites

Easy 1 mile hike from the parking lot with beautiful views! This is the best primitive camping I have found near Raleigh, NC. Permits are required and available at the park office for $13. Make sure you bring a water filter and TP.