Afton, NEW YORK

Most Recent Afton Camping Reviews
Wonderful

The place is amazing. Perfect getaway and dog friendly. Definitely will come back

Nice

Very accommodating.

Can’t wait to go back

Just finished another great trip at Mongaup Pond Campground. This was our 4th time here. Not a bad thing to say. Bathroom and water access are never far. One shower located by main entrance. No power at the sites, that I know of. About a 50/50 mix of tent and small RV. Very calm and quiet atmosphere. No pool or clubhouse. (which is one of the things we like!) Great place to let the kids ride bikes and explore. Concrete fire place on each site. Wood available at check in. Boat rentals are a little pricey @ $20 for a row boat from 10-6. All types available. Beautiful, calm, clean & quiet. Every time we leave we already can’t wait to book next trip. Oh and dogs are allowed as long as you have rabies cert.

Away from it all!

Nice, field style campground, away from everything. They have nice events every other Saturday during summer. Pool, playground and a nice little store on site. Had everything we needed, FHU, 50 amp, large pull through sites.

rustic family cabin

we just returned to philly after a long weekend here. this was our 6th consecutive summer visiting here. very secluded. we let the kids and dogs run pretty much wherever without worry. and close to ithaca so you can drive into town easily. the yard is surrounded by wild berry bushes and every year the kids walk up the lane and pick beautiful wildflower bouquets for me. we are used to tent camping so the lack of electricity and plumbing doesn’t bother us one bit. and the water pump is awesome. nancy is a great host and we look forward to our annual trip up next summer!

Perfect

Right on the Beaverkill River, it's quiet, clean, gorgeous, brand new cabins and concrete pads. Fisherman's heaven. Can't wait to go back.

Family Friendly Camping

I chose this campground because the photos of the pool/splash pad looked fun. It turns out the tent site we had was the most wooded and cozy site we have camped in all year. So much room for tents/hammocks. Trees galore. The tent sites were right behind the athletic field where they did activities the weekend we were there (bounce house). The restrooms were fantastic too, the buildings held two complete rooms with a toilet sink and shower in each. It’s the only shower camping this year my 4yr old wasn’t afraid of because we had the whole room to ourselves.

Great facilities

We went up for a weekend trip. Tent camping. Site was sufficiently private and tucked away, but water/bathrooms/showers were close enough. Very clean facilities! Really enjoyed the kayaking and beach area. The trails were not all that great and provided only minor enjoyment.

Very small but nice campground

This campground is located right on the edge of the road but is a nice well maintained little place. Most sites are rented already as seasonal so getting a site can be tough. Sits on a nice little pond

RV/tent campground in a beautiful setting

This is a gated campground that we stayed at 6/30/19-7/04/19. We are NOT an RV. We own a Napier tent that hooks to our truck so that we can sleep up in the bed. However, due to it being a holiday week, the tent sites were completely booked and they only have 4(which also have water& electric). The tent sites are located in the back of the campground behind the sports field within the trees. I unfortunately didn’t get a chance to see them but they have them pictured on their website. They let us book an RV site and it was rough setting up on a gravel RV site but we understood that we were not within a normal tent element and placed an extra tarp under the tent. The campground is located at the top of some beautiful and scenic driving through farmland in Pennsylvania and you will be 30 minutes from anything like shopping or small town amenities(we drove to Walmart after setting up to get our perishables since we drive up from Virginia). Our site had water and electric, was a drive through spot for a typical RV with a section to the side of the drive through for the fire pit and picnic table. We were located right next to the shower/bathrooms/playground and had some tree coverage and shade. A lot of the RVs in the campground are permanent sites and our neighbors never showed so we had a quiet buffer but it was not a noisy campground. It appeared that they cleaned the bathrooms twice daily and we were impressed with the cleanliness of the bathroom/showers. There were 4 in the building so we never had to wait. The staff were friendly and helpful. They had a store right next to the pool area that offered common items and RV'er might need with a small grocery area as well which included bundles of wood($6 honor system after hours) and Ice($1.78 per bag). We were allowed to run an account which we paid at the end of our stay. Our campsite was required to be paid at check in. The campground is 18 acres with gravel roads, a sports field, fishing, horse shoes, bocce ball, multiple playgrounds, a rec center with some games, claw machines etc. a splash pad and salt water pool. You will be doing a lot of walking or bring your bicycles like we did. They offer scheduled activities for holidays etc and various weekend activities. You can rent non electric boats and they offer catch& release fishing without a PA license in the lake. My son caught 2 sunfish :) They have guidelines for visitors and quiet hours(my cousin came to visit us in the evenings as she lived close by). We enjoyed camping here even if we were on an RV site. We booked site 211 which had the little bit of tree coverage and was located right next to the showers/bathrooms/playground with a quick walk to the lake for fishing. Most of the other available sites in the road ahead of us had no tree coverage but closer to the lake had more trees and shade. OR, just get an actual tent site :) but they are all the way at the back of the campground, furthest from the lake so I actually preferred our site.

Closed

After a person was killed by a falling tree in a storm this campground was closed.

Nice place to get away

I’ve been camping at Gilbert lake for 35 or so years. It’s pretty quiet, the state has made many sites bigger over the last few years and is starting to add electricity to more sites. You can fill your water tank at the dump station as there are no water hookups. There is plenty of places to get water to wash dishes or whatever you need. The Shower/ bathroom buildings are a bit dated but well maintained. There’s miles of hiking trails including one around the lake. Multiple really nice pavilions, disc golf course and a nice beach with lifeguards for swimming. I would definitely recommend.

New York State’s big mistake

The park had great potential the pond is fairly large and is great for fishing or a canoe/kayak. The rustic sites are small but could have been so much more if the state hadn’t walked away. What little is there has fallen into disrepair or was never finished and is falling down. It’s too bad there’s amazing potential there

I have never stayed at the Inn but have been camping on the river for 15 years

I love the property and the family that operates it. My son had his first camping trip there when he was ten days old. It is great family camp ground with amenities that are helpful to parents and new campers such as restrooms, showers, camp shop, canoe/kayak/tube rentals and designated drive in sites with fire ring and table. As well as sites with water/ electric hookup. Yet, it still manages to maintain a more remote and rustic feel by preserving the trees, stream and riverfront property in a mutual state without concrete pads or driveways. There is no commercial aspect that I find when at most “family” parks with pools, arcades and cabins. The sites are larger than most campgrounds and well spaced out. I have been there on busy holiday weekends where it was full but still peaceful and private with a great community of campers and on weekdays and off weekends when it felt as if I had the river to myself. I have never had a bad experience in at least 20 trips.

Good weekend

Pick this park has it was going to be my sons first trip camping. It’s a smaller park with a small hiking trail around the lake there is swimming at the lake with lifeguards, only down side was it had just one central bathroom for the whole campground having to wait for shower stalls was a little issue but very hot water even after waiting which was good and depending where your camp site is it’s a bit of a walk to it..

Real Quiet in Early Spring

Campground has cabins and yurts, pull in sites for RV’s and strictly walk in tent sites. There is a beautiful lake and a very large pool. We went in early spring midweek, it was very quiet and exactly the get away we wanted.

Worth the ride

Rode out here for an all women biker rally. Was worth the 12 hours in the saddle. Friendly staff, clean facilities and gorgeous views!

Grew up here!

I’ve been here so many times, camping in tents and also in the cabins. There are a couple different sections to choose from. Cell signal is not great in most places except the sites “on top of the hill”. There is a big lake that is very built up for swimmers and has a playground, water sport rentals and more. There are also volleyball courts and horseshoes. Great place to bring the family!

Trout town USA

Clean bathrooms and showers. People working there were more then helpful. Guided us to our site. Helped us set up. All and all a very pleasant stay.

Awesome park!

Nice camping spots, wonderful beach for day trips and beautiful walkkng trails!

Great for families!

This is a great place for families. A lot to do and organized events. The lake is beautiful. If you have an RV, just beware that some of the sites are rather small and tight. Well kept. Staff is very friendly. You can have a quiet relaxing time or keep busy with activities.

Pretty nice very helpful

I was directed to a site off the lake for tenting. We were secluded and it was nice. Bugs were bad, if you’re not a camper be prepared for weather and bugs. I was there a week and have to say they did a nice job. Wish the sites were a little bigger but I was able to seclude myself enough thanks to the store recommendations.

RV Mecca

We are camp newbies and I guess we didn’t do enough research because this place was a RVs and Cabin mecca. Our goal was to find a tent based camp site and then were eventually surrounded by RVs every where. There was one other tent customer. The facilities were awesome, staff great, River was perfect for fishing, and close to town. Last, don’t buy their wood - it didn’t burn and was a waste of $ and time.

Favorite place to camp with the family!

Bring your bikes, the swimming is great and the entire swimming/boating area just underwent a major renovation. You can rent kayaks and paddle boards and the park is well maintained and monitored by park police, very safe! Love, love, love it here!!

Family and pet friendly year-around campground

We tried this campground a few times for short stays and ended up going seasonal last year and will do the same this year. It is a little off the beaten path but is great for families (plenty of activities for kids) and pets (our dog LOVES it there). They have a pool, fishing pond, hiking trails, mini golf, playground, large grassy areas for kids to play, and horseshoe pits. There is a store (stocked with grocery staples/snacks but also TONS of RV specific supplies/parts), laundry and showers (a new and improved bath house is currently being built). There are planned activities almost every weekend during the 'season' but they are open all year with some winter sites available. They have all sites available from tent right up to 50 amp full hook-ups. I can't wait for the new season to begin in April!

Well maintained NY state campground; good for family camping

We were just passing through on a rainy night, but this park would be a good choice for a multi-night stay.

Activities for a Multi-Day Stay

• Swimming in the lake, golfing, boating, fishing, multi-use trails for hiking or mountain biking

• You're only about 20 minutes from the Binghamton/Johnson City area. For us, that means food and craft beer.

Sites in the Chipmunk Camping Area

• Parking pads in the non-electric section are dirt/grass. Some of the pads are short; this section is geared toward tent campers. We found a site long enough to easily accommodate our vehicle and teardrop trailer (30 ft total) since we didn't want to detach for a one night stay. Even if the pad wasn't that long, there are other pads wide enough to handle a vehicle and trailer like ours side by side.

• Parking pads in the electric loops (30 amps and 50 amps) have a good amount of gravel.

• We usually prefer sites on the outer part of a loop, and this was no exception. The sites have more trees.

Amenities

• Electricity at about 1/3 of the sites

• Pretty good restrooms/showers

• Water spigots on the loops and more water at the dump station

• Trash disposal

• Playground at the beach area, not the campground

Wildlife

• Beware of raccoons. They are brazen thieves here…and every campground they inhabit. Just don't leave your food out.

• The park brochure warns of the occasional bear but that's true even in towns all over NY. I doubt you'll see one.

• Deer are all over. Watch out for them on the roads. We had four that were feeding behind our site in the morning.

Bowman lake

This campsite was beautiful. It was very secluded and in the woods, right next to the lake as well. I enjoyed how spread out this campground is compared to most and the location is beautiful.

Quiet and serene

These are free sites that you need to call to get a permit.

Great kids campground

Tons of activities for kids to do. I still remember from when I was little kid having a great time and still have gone again as an adult. Clean and fun activities to keep kids busy.

Great campground!

Chenango Valley is a great state park. The beach area is well staffed and clean. Changing areas are available as well as a splash pad for the little kids. There are miles of trails to hike and roads to bike.