Afton, NEW YORK
Most Recent Afton Camping Reviews
I have never stayed at the Inn but have been camping on the river for 15 years

I love the property and the family that operates it. My son had his first camping trip there when he was ten days old. It is great family camp ground with amenities that are helpful to parents and new campers such as restrooms, showers, camp shop, canoe/kayak/tube rentals and designated drive in sites with fire ring and table. As well as sites with water/ electric hookup. Yet, it still manages to maintain a more remote and rustic feel by preserving the trees, stream and riverfront property in a mutual state without concrete pads or driveways. There is no commercial aspect that I find when at most “family” parks with pools, arcades and cabins. The sites are larger than most campgrounds and well spaced out. I have been there on busy holiday weekends where it was full but still peaceful and private with a great community of campers and on weekdays and off weekends when it felt as if I had the river to myself. I have never had a bad experience in at least 20 trips.

Good weekend

Pick this park has it was going to be my sons first trip camping. It’s a smaller park with a small hiking trail around the lake there is swimming at the lake with lifeguards, only down side was it had just one central bathroom for the whole campground having to wait for shower stalls was a little issue but very hot water even after waiting which was good and depending where your camp site is it’s a bit of a walk to it..

Real Quiet in Early Spring

Campground has cabins and yurts, pull in sites for RV’s and strictly walk in tent sites. There is a beautiful lake and a very large pool. We went in early spring midweek, it was very quiet and exactly the get away we wanted.

Worth the ride

Rode out here for an all women biker rally. Was worth the 12 hours in the saddle. Friendly staff, clean facilities and gorgeous views!

Grew up here!

I’ve been here so many times, camping in tents and also in the cabins. There are a couple different sections to choose from. Cell signal is not great in most places except the sites “on top of the hill”. There is a big lake that is very built up for swimmers and has a playground, water sport rentals and more. There are also volleyball courts and horseshoes. Great place to bring the family!

Trout town USA

Clean bathrooms and showers. People working there were more then helpful. Guided us to our site. Helped us set up. All and all a very pleasant stay.

Awesome park!

Nice camping spots, wonderful beach for day trips and beautiful walkkng trails!

Great for families!

This is a great place for families. A lot to do and organized events. The lake is beautiful. If you have an RV, just beware that some of the sites are rather small and tight. Well kept. Staff is very friendly. You can have a quiet relaxing time or keep busy with activities.

Pretty nice very helpful

I was directed to a site off the lake for tenting. We were secluded and it was nice. Bugs were bad, if you’re not a camper be prepared for weather and bugs. I was there a week and have to say they did a nice job. Wish the sites were a little bigger but I was able to seclude myself enough thanks to the store recommendations.

RV Mecca

We are camp newbies and I guess we didn’t do enough research because this place was a RVs and Cabin mecca. Our goal was to find a tent based camp site and then were eventually surrounded by RVs every where. There was one other tent customer. The facilities were awesome, staff great, River was perfect for fishing, and close to town. Last, don’t buy their wood - it didn’t burn and was a waste of $ and time.

Favorite place to camp with the family!

Bring your bikes, the swimming is great and the entire swimming/boating area just underwent a major renovation. You can rent kayaks and paddle boards and the park is well maintained and monitored by park police, very safe! Love, love, love it here!!

Family and pet friendly year-around campground

We tried this campground a few times for short stays and ended up going seasonal last year and will do the same this year. It is a little off the beaten path but is great for families (plenty of activities for kids) and pets (our dog LOVES it there). They have a pool, fishing pond, hiking trails, mini golf, playground, large grassy areas for kids to play, and horseshoe pits. There is a store (stocked with grocery staples/snacks but also TONS of RV specific supplies/parts), laundry and showers (a new and improved bath house is currently being built). There are planned activities almost every weekend during the 'season' but they are open all year with some winter sites available. They have all sites available from tent right up to 50 amp full hook-ups. I can't wait for the new season to begin in April!

Well maintained NY state campground; good for family camping

We were just passing through on a rainy night, but this park would be a good choice for a multi-night stay.

Activities for a Multi-Day Stay

• Swimming in the lake, golfing, boating, fishing, multi-use trails for hiking or mountain biking

• You're only about 20 minutes from the Binghamton/Johnson City area. For us, that means food and craft beer.

Sites in the Chipmunk Camping Area

• Parking pads in the non-electric section are dirt/grass. Some of the pads are short; this section is geared toward tent campers. We found a site long enough to easily accommodate our vehicle and teardrop trailer (30 ft total) since we didn't want to detach for a one night stay. Even if the pad wasn't that long, there are other pads wide enough to handle a vehicle and trailer like ours side by side.

• Parking pads in the electric loops (30 amps and 50 amps) have a good amount of gravel.

• We usually prefer sites on the outer part of a loop, and this was no exception. The sites have more trees.

Amenities

• Electricity at about 1/3 of the sites

• Pretty good restrooms/showers

• Water spigots on the loops and more water at the dump station

• Trash disposal

• Playground at the beach area, not the campground

Wildlife

• Beware of raccoons. They are brazen thieves here…and every campground they inhabit. Just don't leave your food out.

• The park brochure warns of the occasional bear but that's true even in towns all over NY. I doubt you'll see one.

• Deer are all over. Watch out for them on the roads. We had four that were feeding behind our site in the morning.

Bowman lake

This campsite was beautiful. It was very secluded and in the woods, right next to the lake as well. I enjoyed how spread out this campground is compared to most and the location is beautiful.

Quiet and serene

These are free sites that you need to call to get a permit.

Great kids campground

Tons of activities for kids to do. I still remember from when I was little kid having a great time and still have gone again as an adult. Clean and fun activities to keep kids busy.

Great campground!

Chenango Valley is a great state park. The beach area is well staffed and clean. Changing areas are available as well as a splash pad for the little kids. There are miles of trails to hike and roads to bike.

quiet and off-the-grid

Oquaga is a great campground if you want to get off-the-grid for a little while. There are plenty of well-marked trails to hike. Bathrooms were clean and well stocked. The staff were very friendly.

⛰️

Nice hiking trails!

Great State Park Friendly Staff Many Trails

We camp here several times a year and have never had a bad experience.  Camp host is always most helpful and the park is always clean and well maintained.  Great pool, lake, hiking etc.

Family Oriented

Campsites are in the woods with picnic tables and fire ring, plenty of shade and a good amount of space between camps. They have so many birds, squirrels, chipmunks, rabbits and insects that it was a veritable wonderland Playground and shallow swimming area for children with life guards and a sandy beach and new bath house. They have fishing and boat rentals, however the lake is pretty small and a lot of trees still in the water since a flood. There are nice trails for hiking that go all the way around the lake. I had my 5 year old grandson with me and he loved it but I did have to cut it short when we got rained out.

Lake Time

This family run Campground is beautiful and clean. The RV sites are spaced out nicely. There are plenty of things to do; paddle boats , row boats, swimming pool, snack bar/ campstore, activities, etc. Very beautiful area.

Nicely kept

Green grass perfect space for kids to play. Came in late, got a spot and took care of everything in the morning. Fall is a very pretty time up here.

Big campsite, big sites, lots of activities, beautiful boating!

We've visited this campground twice now, and had a great experience both times.

The sites themselves are all in the open, imagine parallel parking your rig off the side of a road, with a nice forest behind you. That's kind of the deal here. But with room to fit another camper or two in between you and the next rig. Way easy access, but not a ton of shade or privacy. Sites are mostly level, but some did slant quite a bit. Hookups are well located and modern.

The facilities are very nice. Bathrooms are new and clean, and well kept. Showers were great. I've heard they've installed a new pavilion for games and events, but I haven't seen that yet. The staff is great, they have a nice little store for the basic supplies and treats, as well as fire wood and boat rentals. They also have cabins which are well thought out and nice!

Not a lot of Con's come to mind when I think about Lebanon. Very nice place, check it out!

Nicely shaded, long site

We stayed one night when it happened to rain all evening. So, we stayed inside our camper. We did take a short walk around both camping loops in lighter rain. The swimming beach looked nice. They do have boat rental. Our site and the others we saw were nicely shaded. Look forward to visiting again in the sun for a longer period.

Little Pond is a beautiful campground in Andes NY. It was an 1.5 from our home. We usually reserve a spot near the bathroom because we are if the age we need it more than less.

The directions are not very clear how to get there but by hook or crook we made it. There is no service along the route and GPS can’t figure it out. But people do get there so that is all that matters.

The sites are small but not on top of each other. Some flat some with inclines. All seem doable. Some on the pond and some by the stream. Water is available but no electric. We managed to do fine without it. You can use a generator for 2 hours morning and 3 hours afternoon.

The pond is absolutely beautiful with a walking trail around it. Lots of other Trails to take too. Nice swimming area. Clean toilets and only shower is by the swimming area by the pond.

We enjoyed our short stay and once we do other campsites this one is on the list to return to.

Friendly staff, tight conditions

It was a good thing that qe had friensly neighbors as we could step from our camper into theirs. Campground was having some issues with water system and our site lost electricity while we were there. We were close to the drive-in so we were able to catch a movie while we were there.

Busy due to day use

What could be a great campground only gets three stars due to the amount of day use people and condition they left the main bathroom and showers. They were not too clean, especially the women’s bathroom and showers. The sites are clean and decent size. Very peaceful at night.

Nice campground and day use facilities

This campground is located just a few miles north of Binghamton, NY. It has a golf course, a reservoir lake for kayaking, fishing, and a newly improved beach and swimming area. Lots of picnicking areas. There are 3 campground loops. The loops are all paved. Sites are mostly shaded by mature trees. sites in Chipmunk loop themselves are not paved, but just dirt, so you'll want to have an outdoor rug or mat. Other loop sites are on grass, a bit more open. A canopy is helpful to keep pinecones and leaf debris off your table & things. On weekends the day use area is quite busy. If it's warm, good weather means a crowd by the swimming area and the parking lot will be full. My only complaint is that there's no convenient way to unload your own kayaks/canoes because of the parking crush.

Family Friendly

We only stayed here one weekend when one of our usual Halloween camping spots was already booked. It was recommended by friends who had stayed there a few times before during the summer. We had a great time! Pull through site was spacious and easy to get to- though ours was not very wooded. A little difficult to get out of the campground though. We basically had to wait in line for 20 minutes while a couple people in front of us were trying to get out of their sites. Other than that, we loved it! They had a really nice playground for the kids with picnic tables for the parents to sit at.