Alton, NEW HAMPSHIRE
Most Recent Alton Camping Reviews
Super Family Friendly

We stayed in our pop up for a quick weekend and we were very impressed. There were several small bathrooms throughout the park which made it super convenient with little kids! We stayed in loop B which was nice and wooded. Plenty of space to back in to and there was a fire ring and picnic table, with plenty of room. There were TONS of kids which was great for us, but may not be everyone’s cup of tea. The band on Saturday night was so fun and the kids loved it. The pool was extra clean and nice. Everything else was super clean and easy to access. We will be back for sure!

Great time

The park is a great place. Friendly people and close to the beach and tons to do year round.

Awesome

9 days at the cabin, entertainment was awesome, great riding along the coast line, staff was no less then the best. Will be returning soon.

LOTS of people but lovely campground

This is an extremely large campground.  It seems that most of them on the coast of Maine are.  We didn't get a very good sight, but the person who answered the phone basically told us that when we called and it was all they had, so I can't say too much about that either (#17).  The sight was small and between the two driveways.  All of the sights seem to have rocky ground, so I recommend a sleep pad and a footprint for your tent so you don't rip the bottom.

Now, on to the other stuff.  There is a small playground that is weathered but in decent shape.  The pool is lovely and meticulously kept.  The grounds, bathrooms and showers are spotless.  It's 50 cents for 5 minutes to take a shower (unheard of) with hot water.  There is even hot water to wash your dishes next to the bathrooms.

They sell ice, wood ($7) and many "I forgots" in the store (bacon, milk, etc…).  They give you a security card to get into the grounds ($10 deposit).  The campground was SUPER quiet and quiet hours go to 8am (thank you)!  Only an RV about to leave made a ton of noise at 7.

I would go there again.  It was a safe place close to so many things.  The beach and everything else is VERY close but not so close as to be annoying…. 5 minutes at most.

Hidden gem

This place is a hidden gem! We find this place on a whim from a local who suggested we check it out. The lots are huge with fire pits. Our site was right on the river! You can swim right in the river. Pet friendly. They have a recreational area right as you enter. The owners are super sweet and nice. 100% yes!!

Hidden Portland Gem

Close to the city of Portland, about 20 minutes, but tucked away in the beautiful riverside marsh. 21+ up, I called here short notice and they were able to bring me in for a budget friendly price. Sites are close together but kept very clean and level. A good amount of RVs but everyone was extremely respectful and nice. Would definitely recommend to those looking to get away for a weekend! Kayaks/canoes available at the front desk.

Best for Party People and young folk

Great campground. Middle of the woods, on the Saco river, with all your friends, no electricity, off your phone and enjoying the moment. Best for College kids and partiers between mid July & early August. Never a dull moment

Awesome

Large sites River front Well worth the drive

Awesome welcome

Employees are very welcoming and the place is clean. Quite big but secluded spots at the same time. Nice and clean toilets and showers(paid). A very good option if you go to Hampton Beach.

Nice facility but some staff are rude

We won’t be staying again (after many visits over the years). The facility is nice but I’ve witnessed staff belittle, talk down to, and be extremely rude to guests. The lady tried it with me but she didn’t get very far. They also charged an amazing amount of money ($30 total) for two guests and their car to visit for 30 minutes before we went to dinner. The lady was also rude to our friends in the process. I think the employee in question should consider doing something else with her time

Beautiful Fall Camping Spot

Went up for Columbus Day weekend in 2018. Even though it was raining, it was a beautiful location for the fall. The lake is quiet at that time and few people are around - but it wasn’t deserted. The bathrooms were clean and had stalls, showers, and real sinks(!). The campsite itself was beautiful. We had a spot right next to the water. We pitched our tent and it started to rain the entire night. Somehow we managed to start a fire (even though it took about two hours). The next morning we woke up and steam was rising out of the water. It was quite stunning so we decided to go in for a morning swim! The water was still and warmer than the air, the trees were full of color, and it was truly an incredible time to be up there. They had kayaks and cables for rent by the beach but the rentals weren’t open that late into the season.

We wont be back...

We chose this campground because it was close to a festival we wanted to check out. Upon arrival we could not find the office. We had to stop a camper who was walking and ask her where the office was. The workers were less than helpful. To many seasonal campers. The sites were to close. The owners were dog breed prejudice. There was a whole paper full of rules if you brought a pet. We are big dog lovers of all breeds and took offense to them being so against certain breeds even being on there property. I will say that the bathrooms were very clean and seemed new.

1st visit

We stayed on lot 47 and 49. Had a great time staying. Only issue was no handicap bathrooms

Awesomeness

This campground is super kid friendly, a nice trail to take a walk/bike ride, A lake to swim, canoe, kayak in. A playground for kiddos to run extra energy off. only down fall it’s a state park so the beach area can be very packed during operating hours. I personally find spots along the trail and let kids play in water were it’s not so crowded. Overall I love it and my kids enjoy it. We started 2yrs ago and we plan on making it our summer camp spot. Also we tent it and the camping sites are pretty big and neighbors aren’t to close.

happycamper

RVs on top of each other

Haven’t camped here, but have come to swim at the beach my entire life. The beach is nice and sandy and the water is clean. The campground is really a small area of large RVs parked in close to one another.

Great family fun!

We’ve been going here each year with our boys for 5 years. It’s the only camp ground my kids request! Amazing family activities to keep kids occupied, great sites, clean bathrooms (free showers), and a good restaurant if you don’t want to cook. I know this will be the camp ground my kids remember when they’re grown.

“Glamping” at its finest

Came here year after year for the culture and ability to entertain without leaving! On premises hiking trails, pool (with water slide), and arcade. When you don’t feel like driving to a trailhead, or into town to do some shopping, this place is perfect for hanging at the site and letting the kids run off on their own. Sites are generally well wooded, well sized, and a bit close together. Water and electric are available, to complete your glamorous car camping experience. It’s a great place to introduce someone to the idea of camping without making them hike a mile with 40% of their body weight on their back. Haha! No cell reception last time I was there, but they had pay phones! REAL pay phones!

Excellent state camp ground

I only spent 1 night, but I wish I could have stayed longer! Checked in late, at 7:45pm (15 minutes before the cutoff) and found the ranger to be SUPER helpful in regards to picking a walk-on site. The lake is beautiful, my site (#4) had plenty of available tinder as well as trees for my hammock and a fair amount of shade. The sites don’t feel super close to each other, but you can easily see and visit neighbors. Unfortunately my fire was too Smokey for nighttime pics. Hopefully I’ll come back to dyrt in the morning to post some that are honestly useful! :/

Best trip ever

Been planning to do this for 2 years.. finally made it! If you are into Harley Davidson and riding motorcycles then this is your place. Clean campground, very good price, clean bathrooms.

Chill campsite + great location

When checking in, the ranger described this as "a pretty chill campground"; he wasn't wrong. Even though my dog joined in with some other camp dogs barking at people walking by (sorry neighbors), no one seemed to mind. Most everyone packed and headed out early in the mornings, since Crawford Notch is the perfect place to explore hiking, climbing, swimming…generally being outside. For such a prime location, the campsites don't feel cramped, and there's enough trees surrounding most spots to hang hammocks. No cell or internet service, but who wants that in the middle of the Whites anyway?

Best time!!

A must visit campground! Heated pools, hot tubes, a bar in pool area with not only beer and wine with frozen drinks. Mini golf(Free shuttle to the beach. The days are packed with actives. You will love this place!

Family friendly

Family friendly campground. Short drive to see wildlife from the road.

Great campground

Great employees, clean reliable power. No issues great spread out sites

Great location

Water hook up was on the opposite side of the site of where the camper needed to be, no sewer hook ups, The owners were very helpful by lending us a hose to help us reach the spigot, offered a honey wagon if needed, and accommodated us to allow our dog to swim. As dogs are not allowed at the beach or dock. Great location but small sites, and a small beach for the amount of sites they have, seems to be set up more for seasonals rather than temporary stay.

Great campground

Great employees, clean reliable power. No issues great spread out sites

Great campground to boat on

Went there this past weekend. Brought our kayaks. I reserved a water front site for that reason. Well worth it. Amazing lake for kayaking, swimming, fishing and exploring. So many little islands and shallow spots to swim around or jump off rocks.

The public beach area is a nightmare, super busy. And we found that there were a few people who didnt respect the quiet hours.  Plus people would drive their cars to the bathrooms at night, in my opinion if you cant walk there, dont go camping. That was a nuisance. A big reason for me only giving 3 stars. Otherwise it's easily a 4 or 5 star.

Fabulous family campground

Excellent campground run by a great couple. The grounds are beautiful and everyone is so friendly. My kids loved every second.

Ranger Review: Red Ledge Thunderlight Jacket at Dixon’s Campground

Campground Review:

Dixon’s Campground is located on US Route 1 in Cape Neddick, Maine, just minutes from the coast and about an hour south of Portland. Dixson’s Campground is a medium sized private campground that has tent only and water& electric tent/RV sites, as well as three yurts. The campground also has full hook up sites for seasonal guest that sit out on a separate area away from the transit campers. I have included a campground map in my pictures for your orientation. Most sites are wooded with lots of shade. There are a few grass sites with more sun near the office. The sites vary from small and close together to large with some privacy. All style sites include a picnic table and fire ring.

Check-in was easy and the staff was very helpful in providing info and answering questions about the area. A host guides you to your site and assist you in positioning if needed. The campground is gated and you have to“rent” a swipe card to access the gate for$10 (cash) and you get your$10 back when you return the card at checkout. The roads in the campground are a little skinny so if you have a large trailer you may want to consider your site location appropriately or you may get stuck in a curve or have a challenging time backing into your site. We stayed on site 84 on this visit. The site was level and well shaded, but small yet worked with our teardrop trailer.

The bathroom were new and very unique here (I have never experienced this style before; see my pictures). The bathroom closest to us had two toilet stalls and two shower stalls each with their own direct outside access. Sinks for hygiene were on one end of the bathroom and sinks designated for dish washing only were on the other side of the building. The Bathrooms and showers were very clean. The showers are metered and cost $0.50 per 5 minutes, so don’t forget your quarters! There is also a trash dumpster and recycle bins at each bathroom.

Firewood and a small camp store was available at the office. There is a full grocery store about 10 minutes away.

We found good cell phone service with Verizon throughout the property. The campground did have wi-fi and it worked ok at our site.

The campground also has a heated pool, playground, and outfitter that provides rentals, lessons, and guides. There is no laundry at the campground, but we found one about 10 minutes away.

Dixon’s sits between two tourist towns so there is plenty to see, lots of great restaurants, and close to beaches. Many restaurants are dog friendly (at least on the patio) and the beaches at this time of year are dog friendly after 6PM. We really enjoyed walking the beaches and checking out the lighthouses in the area. The only down side of being near two tourist towns is that traffic can get thick at some points in the day.

We really enjoyed our stay at Dixon’s and the surrounding area to the point we have marked this as a definite stop when we make it back to Maine again.

----------------------------

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get to test products. At this campground, I tested the Red Ledge Thunderlight Jacket. This rain jacket from Red Ledge is very handy to have in your gear list. It is available in multiple colors (I got black because I somehow get dirty while camping) and is very lightweight. There is no liner so works great in the summertime heat, but is still loose enough to wear a fleece or something underneath. I also like that there are multiple draw strings to tighten up the fit if desired (waist, cuffs, hood, and headband). The pockets are large, deep, and close with zippers. The jacket also comes with a stuff sack so you can roll it up and easily stow it in your day pack or pocket in your car. We did experience light to heavy rain during periods of our stay and the jacket is highly effective and I had no soak throughs even the heaviest rain. I highly recommend this jacket and it’ll be a part of my normal outdoor gear set.

Great place to stay for so many reasons

This is a great campsite.  Has all the hook-ups you need with free wifi and cable TV.  Quiet, clean with super clean bathrooms and showers. The camp is well maintained.  Has a pool and a couple playgrounds for the kids AND a recreation room with arcade games, pool, ping-pong and other games.  Free DVD and book lending library, so if you aren't enjoying the great outdoors or walking on their nature trails, you can just read or watch.  Easy access to the lake or hiking trails in the area.  Also just a mile away from downtown Meredith where you can do all kinds of stuff.  Staff is friendly and accommodating.