the dyrt
Baldwyn, MISSISSIPPI
Most Recent Baldwyn Camping Reviews
Secluded, shady camping

We tent camped at Piney Point several times last summer. Even in the summer heat, the shade is enough to keep you comfortable. The bathhouse is close to the campsites. The regulars are welcoming, the lake is close by for swimming. We stayed here while kayaking Bear Creek. It was a nice, quiet place to relax.

Mixed Feelings

Camped & Hiked Tishomingo State Park last weekend. Beautiful fall colors and the hike was gorgeous! This place seems so out of place for Mississippi! With that being said…The campground was a disappointment. There was a handful of decent sites, but overall, it is in disrepair. The bathroom towards the back of the loop was already closed for the season. The middle bathroom only had one toilet working in the women’s and men’s restroom (we don’t have a bathroom in our Aliner popup and there were also lots of tent campers). I literally had to wait in line a couple of times to use the bathroom. Many sites were washing out under the pads and had steep drop offs on the sides (especially the single digit site #’s). The tables and fire pits (some sites didn’t even have a real pit, just a spot on the ground where there was signs of a fire) were really far away and some sites appeared to be in a soggy bottom area. We got semi lucky and had a decent spot. (Site 33). The sites that back up to the woods instead of the pond are flatter for those who find that more important. Maybe we are just spoiled to nicer state parks where they take more pride in the upkeep? Just the little details that don’t cost extra money, but instead just needs someone to do it (blowing leaves off the major roads and parking areas, cleaning graffiti, clearing massive mounds of debris, etc…) I don’t know if they are suffering from budget cuts, if someone is robbing the place blind or if the staff just works there because it’s a job but doesn’t really care about the park itself. It’s sad because this should be a premier destination spot in Mississippi! I don’t want to deter anyone from going here because the landscape is really nice. I just got worked up because I don’t understand how other parks are able to maintain, but this one seems to really be struggling with how to keep this place nice.

On the water!!

Love love this campground!! We stayed right on the water, the spots are big and spacious. Fire pits provided, very clean with great walking trails, dog friendly. Easy access!!

Needs some work

Trace State Park near Tupelo, MS. Once you get into Tupelo the signage directing you to the park is easy to find and follow.

The road in is in terrible shape, the lake is missing, the levy being worked on. They have horse, ATV and mountain bike trails which are in okay shape but could use some TLC. There are rental cabins and the store is limited to souvenir type merchandise and disc’s.

The staff at the park were very helpful and the facilities, which included a showerhouse/multipurpose room and screened porch were very well taken care of. I definitely liked the large shower stalls!

The sites are spacious, including a fire area, picnic table, electric hookup, water and sewer hook up. You have some privacy and depending on your site sparse to full shade.

There is Disc golf, fishing, and currently limited water sports.We used the multipurpose room and a nearby site that had more then enough room for all of us to sit around the fire.

Tupelo, Mississippi is nearby with Elvis’s birthplace. In addition there are several recreation areas to visit on the Natchez Trace with historical information and trails to explore.

Pleasant and affordable place to camp

We arrived just before 5pm on a Sunday at the end of October and had no problem securing a site. If you are over 65, you pay the same for a site with water and electric as you would for a primitive site ($16). Compared to other states, this was a pleasant surprise. Many sites back up to the lake and have generous sized concrete pads. Most we saw appeared level. Our picnic table was down a hill by the water so it was a hike to it but very pleasant for eating. I would imagine that at other times of the year staying here might not be so pleasant (heat and humidity plus we saw the remains of some HUGE ant hills). No fire rings but it looks like previous visitors may have built fires in the sandy area near the beach. Bathrooms were reasonably clean but they don’t have soap. I also don’t understand why there was one across from site 12 and one more not far down the road but for the last half of the loop, there weren’t any (except for one that had a closed sign and appeared to be more “rustic”). I’m guessing that people in those sites have fully equipped RVs. Good cell service for Verizon in the campground. Nice hiking trails - we liked the Outcroppings Trail. Evidence of the work of the CCC in the Park, especially the swinging bridge. Overall, a pleasant stay.

Where’s the lake ?

Ranger review: RoM Outdoors RoM Pack at Trace State Park, Tupelo, Mississippi

Campground Review: I took the scenic Natchez Trace Parkway from Tennessee down into Mississippi and exited near Tupelo to continue into Trace State Park for a camping event I was attending over the weekend. Once you get into Tupelo the signage directing you to the park is easy to find and follow.

The park itself needs some work. Recent cuts from the state have left the park in need of road work and the levy repair is taking a while to complete according to locals. Where we camped the lake was dry and full of weeds. You could tell by the shoreline that it would be possible to anchor your water craft very near your campsite in several locations once it is refilled with water.

That being said the staff at the park were very helpful and the facilities, which included a showerhouse/multipurpose room and screened porch were very well taken care of. I definitely liked the large shower stalls!

The sites are spacious, including a fire area, picnic table, electric hookup, water and sewer hook up. The spacing between sites is good too, you have some privacy and depending on your site sparse to full shade.

Disc golf, multi-use trails, fishing, currently limited water sports.

After set up our group met in the multipurpose room and then congregated to a nearby site that had more then enough room for all of us to sit around the fire.

Tupelo, Mississippi is nearby and I visited Elvis’s birthplace , “Scarlet’s Donuts”(maple bacon donuts, and tamales) and an excellent BBQ place “Clays House of Pig”. So if you like to sneak to town while camping this is a nice area for it. There are thrift and antique stores close too.

Product Review: As a Dyrt Ranger I recently received a RoM Outdoors  RoM Pack https://romoutdoors.com/ to use , abuse and review while camping. I explored one of the three main trails in Trace SP. The trails are multi-use (ie. ATV, Horse, Dirt bike, Hikers) so pay attention to the signs and be aware of the area. We hiked 4.5 miles. The first thing you will notice about the RoMPack is that it has some weight to it (4.6 lbs)even empty. This is due to the outer water resistant material and the inner, soft, insulated material. There are two detachable bags, and a smaller inner pack to carry them in when you remove them to transform your pack into……a hooded poncho or ground cover , cool idea!

So obviously this is not an overnight type backpack or something a fast packer would use. It is however a versatile option for day hikes, visits to the park or sporting events and I used it to pack my Dachshund when he was done hiking ;)

I haven’t attempted to attach a hydration bladder and decided to just place my entire hydration pack into the main area of the RoM Pack. This works in two ways. First if I don’t need the poncho/blanket I have my hydration in easy reach. Second if I do use the poncho/blanket my hydration pack fits fine under the inner pack on my back with poncho over that.

Definitely practice folding and unfolding the poncho/blanket . I had my usual dysfunction , just like with the hiking maps, I got it unfolded and user ready but then had issues putting it back into its original folded configuration. I eventually got it back together. There is a video on their site to make it easier. Just remember it will get faster with muscle memory over time.

Once again this is not a pack I would use for extended deep woods adventures. It’s great for your day hikes with the kids, concert in the park or hike into a picnic spot, would work for hunting too.

Pro’s: All in one (ie, carry pack, two secure bags, blanket/poncho, inner pack, Molle straps to add other accessories)

Water resistant outer shell

Soft warm inner lining

Durable material

Well made

Con’s: Heavy

Limited packing space( the large middle pocket is gone when you unfold it)

Not for overnight/deep woods(technically not a con, not the concept of the bag)

This will be my go to bag when adventuring with my grandkids. I would/will suggest this pack to friends with specific uses in mind. There are currently three color options and several other products to explore on the ROM Outdoors site

Peaceful and secluded

Great pad sites for RV Trailer, very private well laid out the restrooms are very clean. Reasonable cost and if you have an America the Beautiful card site is 50% off. Very little Verizon Signal if any at times. Really out of the way about 30 minutes from NTP and about 40 minutes from Tupelo.

Nice little park on the Trace

Stopped here for a night traveling through Mississippi. It is a little out of the way, but quiet. You drive down the Natches trace to get here. The sites were large enough to relax, and the neighbors were not right on top of us. Bathroom was ok, but the shower was not working when we were there. Close to Tupelo if you like Elvis.

Best RV park in Savannah,TN

This campground is well maintained. The grounds are Meticulously maintained, the staff will do everything possible to make your stay as pleasant as possible. There is a beautiful pool open seasonally, all sites will accommodate large Rigs, with full power (20amp, 30amp, 50amp) service. Sewerage and fresh water. There is strong WiFi and basic cable is included. I’ve camped here a few times now and couldn’t be more happier. This is a pet friendly park, ( Fido, just need to be on a leash and picked up after.) There are showers, bathrooms and 24/7 laundry facilities. So come as strangers, leave as friends.

All sites are excellent….

Primitive camping at it’s best! Newly renovated sites!

The sites at this park are beautiful and it’s been one of my favorite camping spots for as long as I can remember. The new renovations make it top notch. If they added electric and water hookups, this place would be booked solid! Nice clean bath house. Very friendly staff and ranger. Great hiking! Canoe and kayak rentals available, but beware of stumps. Beautiful scenery and wildlife abounds. Planning to revisit in November or December and take advantage of a warmer than usual weekend.

Peaceful with a water view

Quiet, well maintained Corp of Engineers camp ground.

Nice campground!

Really nice campground on Bay Springs Lake. The majority of the sites have some view of water and the lakefront sites are plentiful. Sites 55-81 are not close to the water and have less shade. However, they are first come first serve instead of reservations. We stayed on site 124 and really liked that loop. Bathrooms are clean, but no AC, so they are a little muggy. I would recommend avoiding sites that back up to the basketball courts unless you have younger kids and are fine with the noise level. They appear to have upgraded the sites recently with fresh gravel and concrete borders, so that was very nice! . The lake is nice and clean with tons of coves. Lots of people using their kayaks as well as fishing boats and pontoons. It was neat to watch the barges go by. Next trip i want to watch one go through the locks! . Amenities: Fire pits, picnic tables, lantern post, grills, Bathrooms w/showers, laundry facility, multiple playgrounds and basketball courts, boat ramp, fish cleaning station, fishing pier, volleyball court, amphitheater, swim beach (seasonal).

Nice and Peaceful

We spent an afternoon here exploring and checking into the campground for future stays. It’s an older, rustic campground and the age shows. However, if you are looking for a peaceful, private campground, this is it. The bathrooms are old, but clean. I’m leery of old bathrooms, but I can make this one work. The lake is great for fishing and has two piers to use, plus a small boat launch. there is no swimming in this lake. Rumor has it that there is Walleye fish in this lake! Looking forward to staying here in a couple of weeks to see if we can catch one!

Other activities include frisbee golf, hiking trail, two playgrounds, volleyball and a large day use area.

Uneven Campsites But Great Views

I was in the area checking out Shiloh National Battlefield and they recommended me check out this state park for accommodations for the evening. It was less than 10 minutes up the road and noted to be a resort style state park because they have lodge accommodations and also a restaurant.

When I checked it out it seemed to be a popular place for fishing, though I don't fish, and the lake itself has a swimming area for those like myself. I set up my site through the online booking and I kind of wish I had not because I had no way of knowing what the sites truly looked like. Some of the sites were very uneven and my site was one of those unfortunately. Because of my late arrival there was no way for me to change this so I had to settle with the site which was a bit less than satisfactory. Had I have been able to find a site a little more level I probably would have given this site a higher rating.

My site was only $15 and came equipped with a fire ring and picnic table which is pretty standard. Nothing to special in way of this but the bath houses were very nice and looked like they had been recently remodeled perhaps.

I enjoyed most the area around the lake which included hiking and swimming on the sandy beach. It looked like they maintain the beach well and there was no loose grass growing in it like there had been at some of the other locations I had visited.

I did notice there was an additional area for camping that had hook ups for RVs for $25 those sites seemed more even than the primitive sites in my area.

TIPS:

• Speak to a real person if booking online to find out the lay of the land.
  • Bring your disc golf frisbees if you play they have a great course here.
  • Check out the marina where they have several different kinds of boats and other water crafts to rent for a very reasonable amount.
Neat place for sure

This is a beautiful park and will definitely be worth the trip.

Just beautiful

This is one of the favorites of all the places we have stayed. It was beautiful and so clean. The hosts were friendly. We had an issue with the electric hookup and they had maintenance workers to is within 20 minutes. The facilities and trails are very well maintained and the sites are well spaces enough that you can have some quiet and privacy. ** PLEASE NOTE: The lake has been drained due to levee issues and some rebuild of the levee and dam. It will be empty for the foreseeable future so there is no water here. That info was not made clear when we made the reservation. ** We still enjoyed our short stay here.

Great campground for weekend visits

We camped in a pop up and really enjoyed ourselves. Most of the sites face a small pond and have a good view. The staff is very nice and have activities throughout the weekend. Some sites after small, so check before you book.

Quiet and clean

Chewalla Campground has a lake for fishing and a beach area. Very quiet and roomy during the week. Didn't spend any time during weekend. Looking forward to spending going back and spending several days.

Cool Spot!

Fun place…nice camping facilities. You can rent a canoe or bring your own or hike all day! Go to the tower!

Great hiking here!

Sites are spacious, although sometimes quite unlevel. Lots of privacy. You can fish, hike,play disc golf and just enjoy the beauty all around.. Best hiking around with lots of interesting trails, some along the fast flowing creek.

Heavily wooded. Large lake for boating, fishing...

Very well kept. Frisbee golf. Ball field. Large lake. Very quiet.

Nice place

We had a good time there, but there were homeless dogs roaming around that we called about but they didn't seem to care. Poor doggies!

This is a great campground. Plenty of space and beautiful hiking trails.

A few of the campsites are a little small for your needs, but there are several that have the perfect amount of space. Definitely will be coming back to this place.

Beautiful state park

Lucas and I camped and canoed. We stayed right on the water.

Great park!

The campsites are terribly unlevel. I can honestly say that is the only negative. The campground is very shady & they just improved the bathhouse. The park itself is very spread out. The marina is beautiful & you can rent pontoon boats. Although it is a bit pricey. There are plenty of places for some good fishing. This is such a beautiful park. We love it!

clean park but no lake

Apparently the main lake has been drained for now. The roads to and through the campground are a bit rough, so you may have to drIve slow. The campsites are paved and leveled. Bathhouse is clean. Full hookups at our site. Overall this was a nice campground.

TN State Park

Pickwick Landing offers boating, fishing, hiking, golf course. Cabins, campsites and Inn w restaurant. Activities offered all year round. We love this park.

Absolutely beautiful !

Small well maintained park . Swim area in the lake has a sandy bottom, and plenty of fishing. All sites have a good view of the lake and they are spaced out so you are not too close to each other. There is a great little Baptist church 1 mile from the park and the best Seafood buffet 10 miles north on Hwy 15 at Seafood Junction in Algoma. Your also 20 miles from Tupelo which has plenty of shopping.

Best State Park in MS

Around 12 miles of trails, 43 acre lake, Bear Creek flows through the middle of the park providing class 1 & 2 rapids. Canoe trips are available but I prefer kayaking further downstream. They have 3 different disc golf courses throughout the park with disc rental at the office, as well pavillions, picnic tables, grills, literally anything you could ask for.