Big Rapids, MICHIGAN

Most Recent Big Rapids Camping Reviews
Nice

Full hook ups

Tubbs Island

Tubbs island was gorgeous! There is Tubbs mainland and Tubbs island and both you’re welcome to but I recommenced staying on the island. It’s more of a peninsula then an island but it’s wonderfully cut off. You take a narrow dirt road over a nearly flooded over land bridge to a remote circle plot of campsites. There are about 20 rustic sites on the island and all first come first serve so plan to get there early because it fills up.

Twisty campground layout makes for a beautiful place

This national forest campground is right along the river. A hiking trail goes right from camp. In fact there is also a day use parking area. Peterson bridge is big and crosses right outside camp.

The road in camp twists and turns providing a wonderful layout. Campsites are spread apart and are facing all different ways. There were a lot to choose from when we stopped in on a Thursday. It's nice to have paved campsites in a national forest camp. It wasn't raining when we were here but we still appreciated the pavement.

The Manistee River Trail is not far away either - perfect for day hiking or an a weekend backpack. This is a great spot to spend some time.

Nice, peaceful campground.

This campground is very nice and peaceful (especially during the day when most campers are off canoeing.) I think seeing it was in the middle of the National Forest, I assumed there would be a lot to do, but from what I can tell it’s mostly a campground for people who want to canoe in the area. We did not, so there wasn’t much to explore by foot other than the campground itself. We were able to walk to the river, but from what we saw (the office was closed our first full day there) there weren’t any other trails accessible from the campgrounds. I’d recommend planning your trip and daily activities ahead of time. Our cell service was non-existent which was a great way to disconnect, but difficult when not knowing the area well. We made the best of it, and still had fun walking around the site during the day and enjoying the view from our campsite.

Pop up site

Our plan just to find an inexpensive and wild camp and road trip to explore northern Michigan . Stumble to this camp site at midnight after 7 hours drive ( and we stop in between for few breweries visit). This site is self pay and first first serve concept . We love scenery and lake view just right in front of our tent . It was nice two days stay for our road trip to explore northern Michigan

Go to

This campground is the best one in their fleet. It is super dog friendly as well. This is our “go to” spot for sure. Love it here and the staff are great.

Woods and waters rv park Newaygo MI

Very family friendly park great cost and a great area with lots of kids activitys

Nice spot and out of the way

Great little camp spot right off the lake.  You have to hike in to the camp locations but its not bad. Theres no amenities except for a table but the spot is free and clean, there's also decent fishing here. Over all I would come back

Nice clean quiet campground

Nice campground close to Ludington and Pentwater. Will definitely go back. Quiet while we were there the 6-9th of September.

My favorite place close to home

I love coming here a few times a year, it’s close to the highway but stay on the opposite side of the lake and it’s hardly noticeable. Excellent stop for a week or just for a night. Large playground for kids and excellent catch and release fishing.

Absolutely pristine.

A beautiful park. Well maintained facilities and perfect landscaping. Great pool and other amenities. Conveniently located close to downtown Ludington Michigan. The staff was fantastic and one particular staff member was nice enough to locate a very dear stuffed animal that was dropped by my one-year-old during a wagon walk.

My wife and I's favorite place

Lots of room, and fishing along with peace and quiet not terribly busy. Overall nice place to get away for a few days, the water is clear and beautiful along with trophy size fish!

Camping at its best!!

One of the best campgrounds around!

Clean, quiet, and friendly

Been coming to this campground almost 20 years. As title states: clean, quiet, and friendly. Many places to see and hike in the area. Flush toilets and pay showers. Showers are .25 per 7 minutes. Great little gem.

Small and cliche.

I just witnessed my first discrimination act.  Very sad to see.  Nice young couple trying to enjoy the park, very sad on park officials part to integrate the actions they chose to act on.

Not a good experience

I stayed here July of 2019 and was not impressed. The cabin I stayed in was alright and clean enough. However, the fire pit was in a terrible spot, sitting about a foot from the lake. The parking was cramped and the cabins were extremely close to one another. The bathrooms were also not well taken care of and were disgusting by the end of the weekend. I also didn’t realize it was right next to the expressway and it was loud. I don’t see myself visiting again.

Great Family Camping Trip!!

First time coming to this campground and it went perfectly! Close to Lake Michigan and very clean! Will definitely come back

Highway noise

Overall this place was nice. Nice fishing pond, the cleanest bathrooms I’ve ever seen at a campground and nice walking path. The camp store was small but there are gas stations right down the road along with a Meijer and restaurants. It was a little off putting that they had golf cart patrols so often, but I appreciated the quiet. Well people quiet. The highways a littler closer then it looks, so you do get a lot of road noise. Especially when trucks hit the chatter bumps on the side. Not the worse thing in the world, but worth noting. Overall a nice place.

An upgrade for a rustic forest campground

Nice place for a rustic forest campground. Nice beach with a shallow weed free swimming area. The sites are large and semi-private, quite a bit of space between the sites. In addition, this rustic campground has showers and flush toilets! Nice upgrade. Just be careful with navigation, all the systems have this road that does not exist, very strange. Approach for the south off 11 mile road. If your nav system is directing you north override it, it will take you to a dead end. Both google and apple maps have the problem.

4 years straight

We love this place. We rent the river rustic site. It’s right on the shore of the Muskegon river. There’s enough for the kids to do! Playground and swimming pools are great!

Interesting campground design with fishing and ATV trails nearby

The multi-level campsites are interesting and fun. You park above and set up the tent down a few stairs. It’s a nice way to use the hilly area. There is still room to set up a rv on some sites. The water source has its own building. The vault toilet has a ramp for accessibility.

The entire campground was empty when we showed up on a Thursday afternoon. Some sites are right on the small lake while others are more wooded. Some of the sites are close together so choose the style you prefer. Along the road in are a variety of off-road trails to explore.

This quiet lake is a perfect spot to getaway from crowds.

Family Camping

Nice family campground. Owners and staff are very friendly. Lots of planned activities for kids with weekend barrel train rides and hay rides. Playground and nice sandy swimming area. Only downfall is the proximity to the highway and lack of woodsy camping feeling. Restrooms are always immaculately clean. Close to Cedar Springs downtown. Plenty of dining option and great proximity to F. Meijer bike path.

Small & beautiful

This is a small campground with fairly good size sites. There is a playground in the center which was very handy for our little ones. They could play and we could watch from our site. The area was beautiful. The beach was clean and even had a snack shop where you could get a realest and rent a canoe or kayak.

The office was nice. It had a lot of good items, which I really appreciate when I come in late and needed to grab something quick to make (hotdogs!). There is also a candy shoppe in it. My kiddos could take a quarter to the office and pick out a treat.

The sites were very shaded and the bathrooms were very clean. If there is a downfall, it would be that the pieces of wood hat can be bought were huge! They had to be cut smaller to use well.

It has great nature opportunities too!!

Some sites are great

So, we usually get really decent sites when we go to Cadillac (there are a few really nice ones) but there are some there that are just a ridiculous size. That was ours this time. And the fire pit was in such an awkward spot…it was a good thing we knew other people there to relax at their fire because if we used ours it would probably have burned a vehicle from the neighboring lot. Large beach across the road is decent but the small beach in the park is laughable. But, we usually go to be with family and it a decent campground to get everyone together in.

Not bad, but getting better

There are new owners here and they’re making improvements! Bathrooms are redone and in great shape and clean. The sites are small, but yet nice. Mine was 17 and was good. Lots of trees here, so you have to manage your trailer pretty well here. Owners are nice too.

Decent sites. Lots of seasonals and sites close together by lake. Friendly staff.

Great location

Nice sites, clean beach, clear lake, decent fishing.

Rustic Camping

Friendly campground camp site are a little small. Water view with a small beach. Only 35 mins from Silver Lake Sand Dunes. There is power available at sites, no shower and rustic restaurants.

I would camp here again.

Small sites at a rustic camp

Smaller sites can be found here. Some flooding has occurred leaving some sites waterlogged and not comfortable for camping right now. This campground might have a higher rating if the waterlogged nature was different. A hand pump is available for drinking water. The vault toilet is just ok - it’s not very clean.

Lots of atv/snowmobile trails are in the area. A nice dirt road goes past lots of homes. We saw a group of locals walking along the road down to the campground to see the lake. This told us that the road was the best hiking option (perhaps because of the extra water?).

Not as much for us here but it might  be better  if you had a boat for the lake.