the dyrt
Albion, MICHIGAN
Most Recent Albion Camping Reviews
Awesome wife and i on one trip

The second trip was even better with another couple that were long time friends very laid back relaxing

Great Campground

Camping here is enjoyable. The campgrounds alone offer clean, heated restrooms, paved roads throughout, access to a variety of amenities, and is affordable.

There are numerous trails well marked with maps/signed to guide you. It would be extremely difficult to get lost here.

The Potawatomi Inn has an AYCE buffet for $15 per person…we took food home with us because the Inn had some many options for dinner.

The cost for the one night campover and park access was $24. That’s a steal when compared with other, more popular places.

Yes, it was winter and snowing, but we love four season camping!

The staff at Pokagon SP is wonderful and extremely friendly.

Can’t do wrong camping here! Beautiful park!

Very large , trees and woods, bring your bikes.

We visited for just one night on a fall weekday. Campground was not crowded. Our site #315 was spacious with a nice foliage buffer around it. Many nice sites, but also many small, not private at all sites. We enjoyed a hike on one of the nice hiking trails, saw many families enjoying the bicycle trails and paved park roads. There is an Inn and restaurant in the park. We talked about how nice it would be to meetup with non Camping family members at this location. There are horse stables and a winter toboggan run as well

Very Open Campground - Not many trees

This campground was what we needed for squirrel hunting, however, it is very open and not very private. It is another one of those "parking lot campgrounds" where you can see all of your neighbors at all times. That being said, the park was very well kept and quiet at night which was nice.

Fun campground

All the amenities of home but feels like you are away from it all

Great family campground

Great family campground. We came for Halloween weekend so water parks were closed but looked to be a lot of fun. Very well maintained park with good size spots. They have a lake, several pools, including an indoor pool for late in the season. We got rained out for most of the weekend but will be back during the summer. Staffs were very friendly and even though we arrived after check in they still had staff available to guide us to our site.

Beautiful Park

Campground was tricky to pick out a site online. Our site ended up being pretty slanted but we were able to make it work with our tent. Beautiful park with great hiking trails. I have AT&T service and decent cell service, my husband has Verizon and he had no service at all.

Dirty Campground with Racist Owners, Why do you think it starts with Kamp?

If you are not lily white, don't show up at the Irish Hills KKKampground, they will call the cops on you for any reason.

The owner is rude, doesn't care about anything but your money. Lost her mind.

Nice

Clean shower,. Spot little close , not alot for kids beside swimming

Great, clean private campground with easy access to the state parks.

This was our first time staying here. Great private campground with rustic, elec, water/elec (30 amp), and concrete pad sites. Very clean campground with nice shower house. Owners are very friendly. Direct connections to the Waterloo Pinckney trail system. Near Hell, Michigan and Chelsea, Michigan. Large pool in season. Priced reasonably.

Perfect campasite to explore surroundings with your Mountain Bike!

We loved the trails for Mountain Bikes that are close to the Campsite! They are super fun!! 🚴🏼‍♀️🤙🏻

Perfect for the whole family

What started as a little get away turned into not wanting to leave! A swimming pool and playground with basketball court to keep my kids entertained and clean facilities convinced me I had made the right choice. As an added plus a horse barn (Heavenly Horse Stables) right on property offering riding lessons, trail rides and meet and greets with their houses and other barn animals, my daughter wanted to move here. Other perks to this campground: Openings to Pinckney State trails right on property and all sorts of lakes, parks and small town downtown areas for food and shopping nearby, H.C.R.C. was a hidden gem.

With multiple camping styles

There are multiple camping opportunities with a variety of camping styles. Yurt rental, to hike-in rustic sites, there's good camping for anyone. A 35 mile hiking trail runs through the entire area with small day trails branching off to points of interest, all with corresponding camp sites. It has good isolation, but not far from creature comforts either.

Great backpacking site an hour away from Detroit

Hiked the complete potawatomi trail (18 miles) great site for lakeview but #3 looked to be the best with swimming access. Heard the party at the lake house across the lake but wasn't too bad, just not the Backcountry experience. Trail was very well maintained however keep your head up as there are many mountain bikes on the trail. Great place to train and get your trail legs as well as test out new gear. Overall great place near home.

The campground was very roomy and the bathroom and showers were very clean.

Cheap and the sights are very easy to get in and out..

Good family campground

This is a larger state park with full size sites for RVs. There is electric on each site along with fire rings and picnic tables.

Some good spots have some shade to stay out of the sun. The beach is pretty good for swimming.

The bathrooms are clean and the showers were warm.

Great Family Campground

This is a nice place to camp if you dont mind the bigger parks. There is electrical on each site and is mostly a place for campers and RVs. There are fire pits and picnic tables at each site. It is usually easy to get multiple sites next to each other with reservations.

There is a decent sandy beach here with a playground and volleyball net. Also in the park are some small dirt trails for hiking and biking. There are enough loops here to go for walks as well.

Most of the sites are in the sun, but there are a few sites with more shade and tree cover.

Rustic Campground Close to Town

I stayed here with my kids because it was close to home and town. It makes for an easy getaway for a night or two.

It is rustic with just vault toilets. Each site has a picnic table and a fire ring.

The lake is not good for swimming as it is very mucky and covered in Lilly pads.

It can fill up quick because it is close to town.

There is a Yurt for rent here as well through the Waterloo Recreation web page.

Couldn’t find it!!!

I hiked the Potawatomi trail this weekend to get to my reservation site #2 on Blind Lake. I started at trailhead #2 instead of #7 because the ranger explained it really fast and I didn’t quite understand the two starting options. I did take the shortcut which gives you a 7mi hike in, though if you start at #7 I think that makes it a little less but by how much I couldn’t say. If you do the full trail loop without the shortcut to #11 you’re adding on at least 2.5mi.

I started a bit late and when you get to the end of the trail at #12 there’s no further directions. There’s even a trail marker that has an arrow pointing the way you just came saying Trail. No other indications of which way to #12. You cross Crescent Rd and then there’s a dirt path road which one end loops back to Cresent Dr and because for whatever reason I thought I had it wrong I didn’t try the other way on the road. For an hour as it’s raining and getting dark I looked and even called the ranger but they were closed. I hiked up Cresent Rd and knocked on the first house I saw but they ignored me after several attempts!!! At this point it was dark as pitch and raining super hard with lightning. So I made camp right next to someone’s boat slip.

Next day I found out the camp was on the path I didn’t take on that dirt road but I kept walking so much and didn’t see anything that it made me feel like it was the wrong way.

So not a great trip, but I did get my rustic experience having only lake water and no toilet - oh yeah I totally went in someone’s backyard. Not relaxing at all though, lol. I give 3 stars because as a newbie I think the trails are well marked but not the ends. If they had one more marker for 12 i would’ve made it. If they had one more marker or arrow for #10 i would’ve found the water pump by the Yurts.

Lesson learned though- often what’s on the map is a lot further than you think so keep walking till you think you’re going the wrong way then walk a bit more. Second, totally start out early so you’re not caught in a rain storm at 9pm trying to pitch a tent next to someone’s boat house.

In the middle of wilderness

The lake was amazing to swim at night..must to it

Modern Campground Close to Downtown

This is a modern campground with full hook-ups and cement parking areas. It is a newer campground, so there is not an old-growth canopy shading the sites. Each site has a picnic table and a fire ring. Some sites are pull-throughs. Tent camping is allowed, but most campers have RVs.

There is a bath house with good showers.

The park also has a lake with a beach, although I have never been in it.

This campground has a great location for people who want to visit Kalamazoo. One downside is that there are train tracks that run near the campground and sometimes the engines idle for extended periods at night.

Rustic

7 mile Hike in only on a beautiful lake! Have not had a chance to camp out there yet. Took a hike in to check it out.

Family friendly

Nice clean modern Campground with a few rustic sites. Lake is very clean on a small chain.

Great for all seasons

With 2 beach accesses and lots of open spaces this is a great campground for the summer. The spring and fall seasons offer the camper many beautiful sights, be it flowers in bloom or the changing and falling of the leaves.

Camping & Disc Golf

Nice mix of camping & Disc golf. The course is mowed down and easy to navigate. Picnic tables,fire ring, primitive tent sites available!

Perseid Meteor Shower

I was here on 8/11/18 to 8/12/18. I laid out on a cot by the beach area to watch the sky.

The park is in the middle of nowhere and truly is a dark sky area. For about 50% of the drive I did not have cell phone service (I have VZW).

The park was clean and had the same feel as many other smaller state park areas in Michigan (reminded me of bald mt).

The perfect retreat for a fisherman or writer.

This small campground (about 40 sites) is well off the beaten path, but still easy to access by road. This is the perfect campground to get back to nature. Each site is separated from the next by young forest, so it lends to a very private and secluded atmosphere.

It's also incredibly close to the lake, and I saw 3 spots with private lake front where they had moored their fishing boats for easy access. The lake itself is incredibly quiet without the buzz of people tubing or jet skiing.

There are no water or sewer hook ups here. You do have access to drinking water, and there is non-flushing toilet (like a port-o-potty). There are also 30 amp electrical boxes if you want to plug something in.

The rate is reasonable at $20/night, but you also have to purchase a Michigan state park passport for each car that enters. This was around $30 for me, a non-resident of Michigan. It expires annually in January.

If you're looking for peace, quiet, and seclusion, then this would be a great stop.

Lots to do

We visited Pokagon for a long weekend with friends. We took over sites 502, 504, 506 and 508. One thing that was clear - the sites vary in size. Sites 504 and 506 are on the smaller side; 502 was moderate and 508 was enormous. We found the bathrooms to be clean and easy to use. Was shocked to find showers just turned on (no timers). The lake is not self-contained within the park - there are houses across the way and various access points. Within the park, the lake provides a small swimming area and much larger areas for boating. Lots of motor boats and wave runners; kayaks and canoes were limited to the shoreline areas. The beach is a nice size and wasn't terribly busy. There's also a playground and snack shack on the beach. There is horseback riding for the 52-inch and taller crowd … anyone smaller is limited to a short donkey ride. There is a natural spring near the 500 loop where you can drink fresh (and cold!) water. There are plenty of options for hiking, biking and riding horses - all with separately marked trails. There's an amphitheater for outdoor productions and the Inn also has planned events. The park says only one vehicle per site, but we noticed many sites with multiple vehicles that stayed that way overnight. Overall, it's a nice park. The only downside is the variations in size of campsites and the risk you might end up on a small site without prior knowledge of what they look like.

Quiet place to get away

We have been here a few times. Really enjoy the secluded sites and the lake. It’s a small campground but it’s clean and quiet. Most sites don’t have water hookups but they do have electric. There isn’t much to do outside of the campground but there is a nice lake with canoe and kayak rentals. Very pet friendly and even has a dog beach.