Yurts
About Nickerson State Park

Nickerson State Park is situated on the edge of Flax Pond and is home to over 400 campsites making it a great place for camping near Boston. Tent campers, RV-ers, and yurt lovers will all find the perfect spot here for their next Massachusetts adventure. Experienced Nickerson campers recommend getting a reservation early for peak summer months as these high-demand spots are snatched up quickly.

Situated near the National Seashore, Nickerson’s beachy environment welcomes campers who are looking for a unique experience. The park’s location in Cape Cod contributes to its popularity thanks to access to iconic lighthouses, sport fishing, some of the country’s tastiest seafood, and more! Make your way throughout the park and the cape by biking the scenic 22-mile Cape Cod Rail Trail. Enjoy views of white pines and spruce trees, cedar swamps, and countless kettle ponds along the way.

So bring your bike, kayak, and lots of bug spray – you’re about to have a good time.

Nickerson State Park is located in Massachusetts
31 Reviews of Nickerson State Park
fabulous campground with beautiful scenery, bike trails, swimming, hiking

It is at the edge of the Cape Cod Rail Trail bike Path from where you can access both bay side and ocean beaches by bike. it is also walking distance to a bayside beach. There is a bike rental place close to the park. The trails in the park are lovely, though hillier than the cape cod bike trail. There are so many things to do when staying there, including the John Wing Island (behind the Cape Cod Museum of Natural History), and even swimming or relaxing at one of the ponds in the park. The rangers offer various activities during the week. We have gone every year for 14 years! and will continue to do so! The sites are wooded. There is poison ivy so beware.

second visit even better than the first!

great campground - had a nice fire in the fire ring - ran down to get more wood when we decided to stay up later star watching. Was able to bring our two medium sized dogs and found an access point on the back portion of the pond - away from the beach for them to take a dip. cute store and easy access to stores, the bigger Cape beaches, etc.

beautiful location with nearby amenities

Love Nickerson - tough to get a reservation in prime summer months on the Cape but worth it if you score one

Quiet setting on busy Cape Cod

We love this campground, and have been coming here for a few years. It’s dog friendly, and even though dogs aren’t allowed on the swimming beaches, you can bring them to different parts of the pond for swimming, and no one gives you trouble. The restrooms are clean, and the showers have hot water. There’s two large ponds for swimming and boating, and paved and unpacked trails for hiking and biking. The Cape Cod Rail Trail runs through the park, and is a great way to get around. The park is large, with about 7 different camping areas, and it always feels quiet an peaceful, even in the middle of a busy tourist season on the Cape. Oh, and you can have a campfire, you just need to buy your firewood at their adorable camp store. I camped at a different campground on the Cape years ago, and campfires were not allowed, so being able to have one is a big plus for Nickerson!

lakeside camping

Area 5, Site 17. On the edge of the smaller flax pond, beautiful site, great view of the lake. One of the smaller sites, we had two small 3 man tents which fit fine with a car, but if you had more gear might be tight. Very open to neighbouring site on one side.

Lovely Park

Really beautiful and spacious! Lots of shade at campsites. Also, the cleanest bathrooms I’ve ever seen at a state park. The park is great for spending all your time there and centrally located if you are looking to explore the cape.

Stolen stuffs

I lost two deep cycle batteries while the camper was on an overflow area .Troopers are not that active and you might be very careful with your stuff if you are staying on that campground.

It's all about the section you choose

We stayed three days at the park in August in section 6X. The sites in the park are varied. I deliberately picked our site (#146) in 6X because it looked like it was one of the larger sites and had more privacy. Which it did. The sites along that section were quite large, spacious and wooded. Many of the sites in the park are right on the roads. These were large enough that you could set up your tent or trailer further back off the road and still have a good amount of space. Next to us was a large 5th wheel camper which took up most of the site so even the large sites are hard for the very large campers. Our loop was very quiet, which we appreciated. Each site had a fire pit and picnic table. There were potable water spigots around the campground loop as well as at the dumpstation. There are also dumpsters and recycle bins throughout the park.

The bathrooms were pretty clean. The bathhouse which is located near the front of the loops for 6 and 6X were not. But the shower stalls were plentiful (probably 10 in the bathhouse in the women's side) and free. There was good pressure and hot water. Take note, though, the bathhouse only had one toilet.

The check in was easy and informative. There are ranger programs and that information is posted at the camp store, the check in and the bathhouse. The camp store is well stocked and you can get ice and firewood there.

We enjoyed the bike paths and the kettle ponds while we were there. If you have kayaks or floats, definitely bring them. The kettle ponds are great for small water craft. And there are plenty of bike paths throughout the park as well as the Cape Cod rail trail.

I was concerned that we would feel crowded and the park would be loud. But our section was just fine and we had a wonderful visit.

My favorite Cape Cod campground

Definitely my favorite campground on Cape Cod. Great location. Large, private, quiet sites. Beautiful area.

We we stayed here with a group of friends for my birthday. Maybe I have rose-tinted glasses when it comes to my birthday, but this was a great campground. Lots of space, beautiful greenery, and you can visit the ponds right on the grounds.

It’s also quite central on the Cape (compared to Shawme) so you can explore very easily.

As always I need to do a PSA on ticks: it’s Cape Cod, so be vigilant about protecting yourself from ticks. Lyme disease is no joke.

Ranger Review: Ledlenser M10 Flashlight at Nickerson State Park

--Campground Review--

Came to Nickerson with the knowledge that it's not like the places I usually like to stay. Family friendly, accessible sites, grounds bigger than the town I live in… not exactly what I look for in a Campground. I was pleasantly surprised! Because I came later in the season (the Campground is closed after September 30) and midweek, I was treated to quiet seclusion in a very nice little walk in site down by the pond.

I am told that this place place fills up FAST in the summer-- so a reservation is usually smart.

The bathrooms were not what I would call clean (thus the missing star), but they were functional. Unlimited (and FREE) hot showers can be found in area 2 of the park. The bike system in this Campground is truly awesome and allows access to the whole park- great place for a good ride!

PRODUCT REVIEW

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get to test out some pretty sweet gear on my camping adventures. This time did not fail. If I'm being honest-- I'm the girl who only uses the flashlight that can be found swiping up on my phone. I never really understood the need for a legit flashlight. The LEDlenser M10 may have rocked my world a little bit- here's why:

First of all-- the thing is the perfect size. Not cumbersome at all. I especially appreciated the clips on it-- they held tight on my shorts and i didn't loose it the whole trip, which gives it two thumbs up in my book. I lose everything.

Second of all-- It has three adjustable illumination levels. I'm talking a reading light, a looking for your dog in the dark without blinding your neighbors light and even a extremely bright trying to find the next trail marker in the pitch dark light. (As a backpacker, I find all of these extremely useful!)

Third, it holds its batteries very well. I never had to worry about it dying on me, and with the rechargeable battery, it's an easy plug in to ensure it never runs out.

I never thought I'd be so excited about a flashlight-- but the M10 is pretty sweet.