Highfield-Cascade , MARYLAND

Most Recent Highfield-Cascade Camping Reviews
Great Site, Great Staff

Took our new Fifth Wheel for a shakedown trip and decided to try Twin Bridges Campground. Staff was polite, amenities are great and clean, and everyone was friendly and polite. Big spacious sites, and a honeywagon to make things easier (there weren't any full hookup sites the I saw besides the long term spaces). Would definatley stay here again.

Cunningham Falls State Park

Stayed one night in September and had a nice level gravel site with fire pit, picnic table and bath house. Greeted by a friendly and helpful camp host as we backed into our site for our maiden voyage. Clean bath house and amenities. Stayed in site 25 with water spigot nearby. Dumpsters for garbage not a far drive and dump station as you leave the park was convenient.

Great hosts, location.

Riding through catoctin mountain park to get to the campground is almost worth it alone staying. My wife and I just stayed one night with our 2 dogs. We met the hosts as we pulled in to our site, very friendly and accommodating. Some of the sites can be backed up to one another or right aide of each other, but there's a number of sites that are more private than others to make it a great experience. Typically, I prefer dispersed or primitive camping over campgrounds, but this place gets the exception. The roads around catoctin mtn Park and Cunningham falls make for a great way to spend a weekend. Lots of trails around the campground and even a few right on premises. Overall, I hope to make it back before the close up next month, if not I'll be coming back next year.

Beautiful camping area near DC

This is a great but very crowded camping area. Clearly a favorite of many DC area campers. We arrived on a Friday around 6 and found every campsite full. We ended up at an overflow site. Get there early if at all possible! And if it’s mostly full, look for breaks in the brush where other cats have pulled off. There are usually fire pits to be found near them. Campsites are well-distanced from each other. We did not hear others while we were there.

Additionally, this is not a great campground for cars that are low to the ground— the roads are gravelly, potholed, and very slow to navigate in a passenger vehicle with low clearance.

The area is gorgeous! Beautiful mountains and nature. Lots of critters and plants to check out.

Bring your own water— none available as far as I could tell. There was a creek a few hundred feet from our site, but it was too steep to get to for bathing or washing dishes (we tried).

Sites vary in distance from the road. Our overflow site was far enough that we could see the cars but not so close that them going by woke us. We could also hear nose from the interstate, but it fades into the background after a couple hours. We estimated we were 1/4 mile from the interstate as the crow flies.

There are fun activities nearby as well. We saw the tunnel at Paw Paw and went to Cumberland. You can apparently rent kayaks from a man nearby, but he prefers to take groups. Drop by his store the day before to see if you can get in on the action.

Major con outweighs all the pros

The forest is beautiful & every site is very nicely set up & well distanced from each other. I say this just from what we saw driving by. We drove around for at least 2 hours looking for a spot, finally gave up & made our own. The system definitely needs major improvements. Just incredibly & unnecessarily frustrating.

We got lucky! 🍀

My boyfriend and I planned a roadtrip on a whim & we happened upon Green Ridge State Forest. We were not sure what to expect and if we would even find a solid spot, but clearly our last minute planning served us well. The best spots are found at the end of the long road (I recommend traveling 4x4) and offer complete seclusion in nature. This site not only boasts a large space, but a picnic table and fire pit!

Well cared for, good trails and lake

A good, comfortable place with a lot to offer. We’d go again.

We stayed two nights in Dogwood. The site was well looked after with camp hosts that seemed very attentive and thoughtful. Good rangers who showed up to help when needed. Everyone was (mostly) well behaved in the site, and we had a terrific time.

The facilities were clean. The sites on Dogwood are quite close together, but it still felt like camping. The nearby trails are great and the lake is a good place to swim or laze on a warm day.

More of an RV camping spot

My friends and I booked a spot at this campground after visiting Harrisburg, PA. When we arrived, our expectations were let down by the quality of the campsite simply because of its proximity to its neighbors, the site setup and the limited space for our tents. I give it 4 stars because I am sure all of the problems we experienced would not been a huge deal if we were in an RV. Seemed like a great spot for kids/families especially because it had access to a swimming spot.

Solid State Park Campground

This place is best if you're into fishing but it has the basics covered. Good bathrooms, a beach, and some hiking around the lake. It's also pretty convenient to Harrisburg, Gettysburg, and Hershey if you want things to do. It also has some nice birding.

Many Campsites have Lake Access

For me the two most difficult amenities to find at one campground is 1) secluded drive-up site 2) that is on a lake/river/etc. So because Sleep Creek has many sites with both, we will continue to go back.

We stayed in Piney in June 2019 and it was super quiet and empty, but Labor Day weekend 2020 was busy for the area.  We arrived on Saturday, which is gambling when it's first-come, first-serve, but there were still many sites available.  We stayed at Myers campground, which luckily didn't have any large groups.  There are 2-3 meadow campgrounds that the RVs/pop-ups and the group campers like, so pass those for the smaller spots nearer the water.

Things to note:

1) Potholed dirt road coming up, a sedan can make it through but will have to take it slow.

2) Swimming is possible off some of the sites but there are a ton of lily pads in most areas.  Better to kayak and canoe and get it, just beware of underwater stumps.

4) There is a shooting range on the management area, you may hear them in the distance but it's not near the campground.

5) One of the most disappointing thing about the Sleepy Creek Management Area is that there does not appear to be any hiking trails.  We instead explored by walking around the campgrounds.  Mushroom hunting was particularly fun in September.

6) Rangers or park management do not come around regularly, so don't expect there to be anyone enforcing the rules.  I say this because we had people partying until 3am the Saturday of Labor Day weekend.

7) Bring water and firewood.  Sites do not have picnic tables and the fire pits are just pits with no grills.  Sites are marks with a post but many are missing the hooks that you hang lanterns from.