Guilford, MAINE
Most Recent Guilford Camping Reviews
Very nice campground.

Been here several times. We love it here. Staff was greatly helpful. Enjoyed all they had to offer with our grandchildren. Beautiful beach area.  Nice and clean. A great state park!

Maine Wilderness campground

Stayed here 2 nights in June. Wooded sites on the shore of the largest lake in New England. Our site was large enough for tents and hammocks; which was nice to have options. The sites are also far enough away from each other that you dont feel like you're in an apartment building. Central bath and free shower house with laundry/dish sinks outside was an added bonus. Fire ring and table at each site. Rangers were super nice and helpful. Trails to beach area with a playground for the kiddos. Its pretty remote so make sure you have everything you need before venturing past Greenville. Take the drive up to(and past if you're real adventurous) Kokadjo for moose spotting.

Fun campground

Brought the family here for a nice Father’s Day weekend. Good place to bring the kids. The staff here were are friendly and very helpful for any questions or camping needs you had.Everyone had fun. Bathrooms were clean and plentiful. Lots of fun activities to keep everyone in the family entertained. The themed weekends are a neat concept and enjoyable.

Ranger Review: GCI Outdoor Compact Camp Table at Wilderness Edge Campground

Campground Review

I headed to the Millinocket area because I wanted to explore the new Katahdin Woods & Waters (KWW)National Monument, Baxter SP, ponds and byways. Staying at Wilderness Edge proved to be an ideal location with full amenities. It’s convenient to each of these areas without requiring an extensive drive to any of them. My visit was very early in the season ( late May/early June) and the trails to peaks at Baxter state Park were still closed, so it was quiet. The sites are in two sections, with tenters up the hill in an area I did not have time to explore, and a lower section with hookups for RVs. The RV sites offer electrical and water. The location of the hookups is somewhat unusual and inconsistent. My site had the connections on the right side of my camper once I had backed it in, so I had to be careful about placement or have longer cords. It then made sense why Marcel explained that some campers like to park parallel to the camp road to create some privacy,

My site (6) was large and level, backing up to the woods and with trees between the sites providing some privacy. There were no sites directly opposite mine as the loop road turned and went up a hill. The very clean bathrooms are up the hill, providing free hot showers and also a dishwashing sink.

There’s a small camp store with a selection of necessities, just in case you need a map or forgot a backpack, etc. They’ll deliver firewood to your site. There was wi-fi available, strongest near the bathroom, but I had more than adequate cell phone coverage (Verizon) at my site, that I did not need to use the wifi. There’s a pool and a play area near the entrance.

This is not a campground packed with seasonal sites; they only have 2 seasonal campers. Instead, the campground fills with families, singles, couples, looking for a quiet camp setting with amenities. The amenities do come at a price, costing more than other campgrounds, but also providing more.

If you want to explore, the Discover Katahdin app is great for identifying hikes or paddles, etc. so be sure to install it to help with your planning. It’s also worth stopping by the Moose Prints Gallery in Millinocket. Anita provided some excellent suggestions for wildlife watching and paddling. If you’d like a guide, Marcel is happy to offer small tours.

In town there are a variety of shops, including groceries, dollar stores, and hardware.

Product Review: GCI Outdoors Compact Camp Table 20

As a ranger with The Dyrt I sometimes get to test and review camping equipment. On this trip, I was able to review the GCI Outdoors Compact Camp Table 20 (it also comes in a larger, 25” size). This is a great little table with telescoping legs (love the squeeze mechanism to get them to collapse), giving you two height options while occupying very small space in your vehicle while traveling. You may find yourself using it for more than just camping (I saw one in a picture of a recent tailgate party). It’s aluminum top allows you to place a hot pot on it. It can handle a substantial weight and doesn’t feel wiggly. It’s great for dinner by the campfire!

Ranger review: GCI Roadtrip Rocker at Lily Bay State Park

Campground Review:

This large state park has two loops located on the shore of Moosehead Lake in Greenville Maine. Many of the sites are on or have a view of the water. They are large and, in general, private. The campground map includes letters to indicate the rig size each site can accommodate. Tent only sites generally require you to walk in from a parking area, many taking you closer to the water.  When I arrived, it was quite windy and I was grateful that my site in the Rowell loop was a little farther away from the water. The sites are wooded. Both loops have boat launches. There’s a playground and beach. At night you can enjoy the call of the loons; that was the only sound I heard at night during my stay, but I had few neighbors so early in the season (late May)

Because of its proximity to the water, the toilets in the loops are all vault toilets. There is a centralized bathroom with flush toilets, showers, and dishwashing sinks.

This is a great location for fishing and boating on the lake or nearby ponds, hiking peaks as part of the Pinnacle Pursuit in the greater Greenville area, exploring the B-52 crash site memorial, or seeking out moose on small ponds and logging roads. If you want some assistance finding moose, check out the moose tours that run out of Greenville, but you’ll likely have success at Lazy Tom Bog, the Maine DOT lot on your way into Greenville from the south, or on any of the logging roads at sunrise or dusk.

2-bar cell service on Verizon at some areas in the campground (I had coverage at my campsite, but not in the more central locations and not on Lily Bay Rd).

Product Review

As a ranger for the Dyrt, I sometimes get to review equipment that is useful when camping. During this trip, I was able to review a GCI Roadtrip Rocker. I already own (and love) a Freestyle Rocker and wanted to compare it to the Roadtrip.

The Roadtrip Rocker has a taller back and a deeper seat, so it’s more comfortable, providing greater support under the thighs. They both have a cloth pocket for holding drinks. The rocking mechanism seemed less consistent…depending on the terrain, it didn’t always seem to feel as smooth. Shorter friends found it less comfortable.

The Roadtrip folds up into a bag which means I can toss it into my camper without worrying that it will bring dirt in with it, but it’s heavy and tall. It does take a little longer to get it into the bag. They’re both great for sitting around a campfire.

First camping trip of the year .

All good expect the internet, we are currently away from the camp ground so we can watch the Bruins game. This place is quite and clean and we would recommend this campground.

Beautiful campground

Beautiful campground close to all the attractions

Out of the way but worth every mile

Fantastic camp ground. I was there end of May into the first few days of June. Staff was very helpful when I was asking about different fishing spots and how to get there. Camp sites were decent size, and about 1/3 are close to the water. A few recommendations I have if you are going. Bring everything you need with you, do your food shopping on the way. Greenville is maybe 15 miles away, the quickest way is a logging road, conditions of the logging roads can vary. Having the Maine Gazzetteer was super helpful finding my way around the logging roads. If you are looking for a camp ground but off the beaten trail look no further.

Maine at its best!

We enjoy our weeks on Moosehead Lake. Lily Bay Campground has spacious and wooded. The staff is very helpful and friendly. There is a beach and a playground. A clean shower and flush toilet facility. The sites have pit toilets that are plentiful and well maintained. Pets are welcomed. There is a boat launch and if you get a water site you can launch your canoe or kayak from there. The hosts clean the sites after check out so they are clean and ready for the next guests. There are no hookups, electric or water on site. Water is available at faucets every few sites. There is a dump station and there is potable water to fill you fresh water tank there. Plenty of hiking, fishing opportunities. You can take a short ride to Greenville for shopping, restaurants, laundry and a hospital. We are Mainers, but Lily Bay always feels like getting away.

Wilderness camping on a river beach

The Omaha Beach campsite is part of the Penobscot River Corridor. Coming from Millinocket on the Golden Road (about halfway between Millinocket Lake and Abol Bridge), you'll see a turnoff to the left for "Debsconeag Campsites 4.5 miles." This is a rough road that I traveled with my Subaru Forester, but the other vehicles I saw are all high clearance trucks. There are still large puddles in places (May 31), but all passable. ~3+ miles from turnoff onto Debsconeag Rd is the sign for Omaha Beach. There's a short drive to a parking area with a latrine. You can drive to the beach for unloading purposes, but then return to the parking area with your vehicle. There's an iron ranger to pay per person camping fees ($6.54 Maine residents/13.08 nonresident with lodging tax in 2019). You may boat in on the west branch of the Penobscot, which was fast moving and high during my visit in late May 2019. There are a couple of  picnic tables and fire rings. Bring your own water or water filtration. Nice sandy beach. Black flies problematic everywhere in May and June, so come prepared!

1.1 miles farther to Little Omaha Beach, then boat launch and Wheelbarrow Pitch.

Beautiful Park, Wonderful Lake.

We had a great trip here over the Memorial Day weekend. We had a lovely lakeside campsite. The bugs were not too bad. There was a lot of standing water, so I expect that there might be a lot more mosquitoes once the weather heats up. The water was cold in Moosehead Lake.

More Glamp less Camp

Good campground for older adults. Not much in the way camping as much as it’s a community. Good for family visits, they do events for families like cookouts and dances. Very well maintained and super nice staff.

Great place for families

Great place for families. Game room, pool, you can walk a holiday if you would like. Great entertainment on the weekends. Clean bathrooms and up to date. Friendly campers. Baked bean suppers sold on Saturday night.

Alittle extreme on how they choose seasonals.

Great Place to be

This campground is a little off the beaten path but it is worth it in our opinion.

We discovered it while on a motorcycle trip 2 years ago. It was a great find. We visited it again last summer of 2018.

The lake is about a 5 minute walk from the campgroud, but, what a beautiful lake it is. Some great water activity included.

We are from Montreal and our canadian funds were accepted at par. Considering the value of our dollar to the US dollar made this a frugal choice.

The town of Kingsfield if close, about a 10 min ride maybe less. But for bikers its nothing as we love to ride anywhere no matter the distance. lol.

We recommend this campground.

However, it is not a KOA style place. It's rustic and friendly.

Off the grid, plenty of things to do and can't beat the price

This small, family run campground is a nice spot to get off the grid and explore western Maine. I stayed here because of its proximity to the Fire Warden trail up Mt. Abram; I like to get up and on the trail early, so this was an ideal location. It's not far to the peaks in the Bigelow Preserve, Sugarloaf, Spaulding, or the Crockers, either. It is a 4-hour drive from Boston, so it's not a quick getaway from there.

Each wooded site is relatively level and offers water and electric hookups, all for a price on par with state parks without utilities (even after tax is added to fees, you're still under $25/night). Bring cash or a check because they don't accept credit cards. Although they don't offer sewer, they do offer a dump station. I was in a tent. They do not offer wi-fi and your cell phone isn't much good either. Bathrooms are clean and hot showers are free. I was there late in the season, so the campground wasn't full. It was quiet.

Although I was there to hike, I checked out the Tufts Pond, a short walk across the street from the main campground, It is a nice place to swim, canoe/kayak, or fish in season. And at the beginning of my hike I saw a lot of ATVs out on the trails. There is also an open field area and a playground at the campground.

I bought wood when i checked in and there is a small store. Kingfield offers a grocery store as well. Kingfield also offers a few dining options if you're not up to cooking your meals.

Near Baxter State Park, with full amenities!

Located just a few miles outside of Baxter State Park, POC offers a few spots for small RV’s, tent sites, lean-tos, and a few camping cabins, each with a picnic table and fire ring.  And, the property has an amazing view!

There are hot showers, clean bathrooms, a dishwashing sink, and even a game room with pool tables and a small bar. You can rent canoes and gear to paddle on the lake, with a great view of Mt. Katahdin. Or, sign up for a guided canoe or rafting trip.

Fall is one of the best times to be here…no bugs, less people, and full of autumn color! Be ready for wind and cold days though.

Your last stop for groceries and gas is in Millinocket, so be sure to stock up before you make your way to the park.

All for $11 per person/night! Haven’t seen these amenities for this low price anywhere else in Maine.

Small family campground convenient to Greenville

As you make the final approach to Greenville from the south, the Moosehead Family Campground will be on the right. The first time I arrived, I missed the turn-in and had to do a u-turn.

You can make reservations online, although they're contemplating some site changes, so for now, you'll need to call to make reservations for 2019. Season opens around Memorial Day and when I visited midweek in late June it was still quiet. Most sites are back-in, though they offer some pull throughs, and most are wooded or in the orchard. Rates vary depending on the dates, special events, and utilities you select. They provide a discount for a week-long stay. Bathrooms are clean with odorless composting toilets. Although they don't offer sewer connections, there is a dump station and they also offer collection service. They offer wifi and I had good service with Verizon (you'll lose coverage just a little farther out of town). Hosts are friendly and offer free hot drinks in the office on weekend mornings. You will hear some road traffic.

There's a small playground, but the real playground is beyond the campground. Explore the many small ponds in a kayak or canoe, ride your ATV on area trails, capture wildlife with your camera, take on the Pinnacle Pursuit, or cruise Moosehead Lake on the Steamboat Katahdin. Drie and hour and you can go white-water rafting. Moose come out at the Maine DOT, so you don't have to go far to see some, though the ponds and backroads provide a better background. There's a firetower nearby that provides a nice view, too. It is a little far if you want to drive toward Kokadjo and smaller, remote pounds to look for moose on your own in the early morning hours, but if you are joining a wildlife viewing tour out of Greenville, it's convenient.

The cleanest bathrooms I have ever seen at a campground.

The sites are nice enough, but not a ton of privacy. Ours wasn't very flat so tent camping wasn't very comfortable. Hammocks were fine. The lodge was super cool and the owners were friendly and helpful.

Beautiful Sebec Lake

We camped here in June and the weather was beautiful and it wasn't buggy. This campground is located in Dover-Foxcroft far enough from town to appear to be in the woodlands, but close enough to grocery stores and restaurants. We kayaked on this crystal clear lake and it was so relaxing. There are no water sites but there is a sandy beach, plenty of picnic tables and grills, group camping and day use areas. Clean updated bathrooms and a handful of water and electric sites. The sites are spacious and there is space between them. There weren't many campers when we visited which was great for us. It was quiet. There were plenty of deer making their appearance during our walks. We brought our dogs, dogs are not permitted on the beach. We love this campground. The staff were very nice and helpful. We will be back.

Peace and Happiness in the middle of nowhere

A bit off the normal path. The roads to sites are crazy, it would help if you had a truck or SUV. Some parts only one car fits on the road, and if someone is coming one or the other needs to pull over. So don't drive like a spaz, which you most likely won't anyway, because there are some HUGE potholes. At one point the entire road was a giant puddle 2 feet deep. I was like what are we doing here. But then there's people pulling campers like nothing; and I'm like ok guess we keep going! We stayed here in 2017. I don't think the description is right on the main screen, as there are not cabins. When I look at the GPS Map it looks almost right. The marker should be a tiny bit further down the road where it ends by the water with 45.714573 -69.558222 look at Google Maps satellite view.

After what felt like eons of white knuckle driving on logging roads, we made it. Every site has a nice view of the mountains in the background over a pretty large waterfront. Only thing I did not like, was people with generators on at night. Hello I am in a tent. I don't want to hear lawnmower sounds all damn night. Bring some ear plugs and a sleeping mask to make that suck less. Bathroom was clean. Have TP and hand sanitizer.

We hiked one of the nearby mountains, Mt Kineo. Super awesome day hike. And there is a really nice fire tower on top you can go up. One of the ones where the stairs are flights zigzagging up, not the ladder ones. Thank God lol. Old forest, and lots of cool giant rocks. Really a great connect with nature hike.

We saw, I kid you not, 12 moose, in the 8 days we were there. It was so cool. Another reason not to drive crazy, one of them practically came barreling out of the woods into the side of our SUV. it was like 2 feet away from crashing into my door. The best was when we were kayaking. There is a bridge where locals fish from all the time. We put our boats in at the camp site on the side of the river not far from the bridge. Don't go under the bridge, go the other way. Paddle slow, take your time. It curves back and forth. Lots of warblers were there; and ducks and loons. We kept going until it looked like going further wasn't going to happen and headed back. Then not even five minutes from where we would get getting out, there was the biggest moose I have ever seen. A young male. Just eating plants out of the water, and on the boggy shore. We stayed to the far side of the area like 20 minutes taking pictures and not making any noise or moving much at all. National Geographic feelings going through my mind. It was getting dark, and he never went away, but we needed to leave so we inched slowly down the water. I turned around at the curve, and he was finally moving on going about his moose business. Will never forget that for sure. There is also a camp site at this area, which I have a separate review for called Lazy Tom Bog Primitive Camping.

Moose Photographers Dream

This is a moose hot spot. You will find this site just past the bridge off Spencer Bay Road (old logging road) on the right (when coming from the main roads).

Bring boats if you want to see moose. We had kayaks. We stayed here, just to be up early enough to paddle out and wait for moose to show up. We have gone here kayaking from other nearby campsites too. Staying in the actual site was easier than getting ready somewhere else and hoping no one was in the site so we could put our boats in.

Site is first come first serve. You basically drive down a small driveway area, into an open gravel spot with a fire pit. You could bring a very small camper. We just put a tent and parked the car so it blocked the tent view if someone pulled in so their headlights would not be on us. Completely primitive. NO facilities. Nothing fancy. A spot to sleep and get up early for photography (or fishing if that's your thing). Take all your trash with you and bring hand sanitizer/bio-degradable TP/shovel.

Because this IS a hotspot for moose. Locals do come here at dusk and dawn, but hey mostly sit on the sides of the road by the bridge that goes over the bog/water. It's also a popular fishing area - from the road/bridge. Pretty sure certain tours bring people here or tell them to come here to look for moose, but you are WAY more likely to find one if you get in your kayak.

In the two nights we stayed here, we saw 5 moose. Likely the same 2-3 but hard to tell. We saw them at dusk and dawn. You only need to walk your boats about 10 feet to slide them in the water from the camping area. Once in the water, go to the left and it goes around a bend. We always took a short zig zagging trip through the area (it snakes along) slowly and quietly paddling. They show up a lot just past the first left you take (after going left out of the site). if you are really patient you can just sit there. We are a bit stir crazy though and preferred going back and forth slowly to occupy the senses.

Good luck and enjoy!

Nice waterfront site

Roads are all gravel out here, seems to be inactive logging, we didn't see any of the log trucks.

This site has a lot of RV sized spots and goes pretty far back. We had a tent, and picked the site closest to the water on the right at the end so no one else was in front of us. It was down the main row the host is on. While sites all have tables, there are not really trees around to put a tarp over it for rain, As you can see in my photos, we rigged up a tarp cover, from wood we searched for along the road and tied it up with rope to the picnic table.

It rained a lot on this trip, so it was essential to rig the tarp for cooking cover, and a place to sit other than the tent. Because of the rain, we drove around the logging roads a lot to explore. We actually drove all the way out to Mt Katahdin, it took a few hours, but it was raining so a good time waster.

Around the campsite, the waterfront is really nice. Rocky shores. Good Kayaking. The water can be choppy when the weather is not great but nothing we couldn't handle. We took our kayaks on a few boggy areas off the sides of the road while we explored driving around too. Great relaxing trip (other than the rain).

Off the beaten path

This is one of many sites around Moosehead Lake area. We actually have camped at about 4 random sites we found along the logging roads here, and I finally found this one in my Gazetteer as being one of the ones we were at. My google map coordinates are on point for having added this campground so GPS it up if you are interested! It's worth the drive.

I would not take a car down these logging roads. Pothole mania here. They are not maintained much more than needed for logging trucks, most logging is done around here at this point as far as we noticed. Take your time, and watch out for moose.

Once you pull in to this site, the resident site is the first one on the right. You can check in with them. We camped down the second left you can take from the road, closest to the water on the right. Picnic tables are at each site. I think our site provides the most privacy with unobstructed views of the water and surroundings. The rest room was not much of a walk behind us. Do not forget your headlamp you will need it in there at night. We found camp wood along the logging roads out to the site along the way and had plenty.

it's not far from Mt Kineo. Take a drive out there, and hike up. It's one of my favorite hikes in this area. We have done it twice now. We also brought out kayaks. There are many small pond/lakes along the roads back here. We explored many of them, and found moose galore on the roads, and water, That being said, be careful they are huger than you think if you never seen one in person.

RVs are allowed at Cowan Cove, good luck driving back there with one. People do but I think they are nuts. We tent camped. I would not want to drag one out there or drive one. Our SUV was a nutty enough drive. Definitely worth it if you are adventurous!

Stunning lakeside camping

Camped in one of the walk-in sites in early September. There was a large selection of lakeside spots, we were spoilt for choice. Park staff were extremely friendly and full of great advice. Wood and ice sold right at entrance to park.

Nice little site

15-site primitive campground with fire rings. We saw cross bill birds there eating the pinecone sap. They also came down and ate ash from our fire pit in the morning. The BEST site in my opinion was ours. It's right next to the dock area and no other sites can go next to it, only across the lot.

This site has picnic tables, and 3 outhouses, located along Cold Stream east of Lone Jack Pond. There is a small floating dock on the stream. Four additional roadside shoreline campsites were established next to Durgin Pond, and several others in scattered locations near to roads.

There's a 0.4 mile walk-in trail into Lang Pond, and a 0.5 mile trail into Big Berry Pond. People can fish here, it's supposed to be a hidden jem or hot spot. There are some additional trails into Snake and/or Fernald Pond, and into Cold Stream downstream of the headwaters area. You can also walk down the roads, there's old logging roads that split off here and there from what it seemed like.

Great kayaking up and down the stream and pond area. The roads were a bit crazy as you can see in my pictures. A bunch of warblers were there too. We drove into Jackman one day when the weather wasn't so great. Cute little town.

Unbelievable backcountry lodging and camping in Maine

Wow! What an impressive set up. Multiple huts laid out over 35 square miles in the heart of the Carrabasset Valley. Trails lead you into a paradise of Maine's backcountry. 5 huts are there for you to find, explore and stay at. Each huts has a bunkhouse to sleep in. Camping is also available within 100 yard of each hut. There's a yurt halfway between Poplar and Flagstaff huts. A great place to chill for a break or a snack. Situated in a valley with mega climbs, serious hiking and biking trails, and lots of water, there's always something to do. The huts have nature programs for you to explore the forest environment with. All huts provide you with meals and other nourishment if you choose. All huts have showers and nice bathrooms which are fully sustainable. There's not much wifi or cell phone reception in the huts, and they like it that way. Take a break from the reality of the modern world amd get lost in the woods of Maine.

!No longer operating!

Sadly this place closed in 2018. (http://www.caseysspencerbaycamps.com/) I hope that someone is buying this campground and reopens it in the future because it is a nice place. The camp sites were big and some of them have direct water access. The downside was the 6-mile drive on a bumpy dirt road into the campground. Make sure you are all loaded with food and supplies cause the drive in and out on the dirt road will drive you nuts.

Clean and friendly staff

Easy sites to get into. Close to the cross center and the waterfront concerts. Quite

Great spot!

Spacious campsites with plenty of privacy. A short walk down to the beach area which offers a playground, cookout spots, and canoe rentals. Make sure to stick around and watch the stunning sunsets with views of Borestone Mountain, which is also an amazing nearby hike! The park also offers several hikes around the lake and camping area.

Bring the family

This is a family campground with pool, playground, bounce house, Yogi Bear, theme weeks, store, rv sites and cabins. It's fun but not private (secluded), tranquil, or very wooded. Lots of fun activities and close to shopping and dining make this a good family spot.