No Drinking Water
No Trash
No Water Hookups
No WiFi
Contact

Take campground searches offline with PRO.

Cowan Cove is located in Maine
1 Review of Cowan Cove
Off the beaten path

This is one of many sites around Moosehead Lake area. We actually have camped at about 4 random sites we found along the logging roads here, and I finally found this one in my Gazetteer as being one of the ones we were at. My google map coordinates are on point for having added this campground so GPS it up if you are interested! It's worth the drive.

I would not take a car down these logging roads. Pothole mania here. They are not maintained much more than needed for logging trucks, most logging is done around here at this point as far as we noticed. Take your time, and watch out for moose.

Once you pull in to this site, the resident site is the first one on the right. You can check in with them. We camped down the second left you can take from the road, closest to the water on the right. Picnic tables are at each site. I think our site provides the most privacy with unobstructed views of the water and surroundings. The rest room was not much of a walk behind us. Do not forget your headlamp you will need it in there at night. We found camp wood along the logging roads out to the site along the way and had plenty.

it's not far from Mt Kineo. Take a drive out there, and hike up. It's one of my favorite hikes in this area. We have done it twice now. We also brought out kayaks. There are many small pond/lakes along the roads back here. We explored many of them, and found moose galore on the roads, and water, That being said, be careful they are huger than you think if you never seen one in person.

RVs are allowed at Cowan Cove, good luck driving back there with one. People do but I think they are nuts. We tent camped. I would not want to drag one out there or drive one. Our SUV was a nutty enough drive. Definitely worth it if you are adventurous!