Addison, MAINE
Most Recent Addison Camping Reviews
Nice park outside of Acadia

Nice campsites. Clean bathrooms. Wood available on site. Treehouse is fun! Nice hikes around the water. Great place to camp close to Acadia and Bar Harbor.

Acadia!!

Just the best! So much to do at Acadia! Hikes, education centers, Cadillac Mountain, Thunder hole and more! Sites are great! Close to Bar Harbor. Bathrooms are clean. Showers are off site.

Mosquitos, Mosquitos, Mosquitos

This is a National Park which was very clean with some large sites. It was somewhat big rig friendly. I was traveling with two other motorhomes (caravan) and my site was the smallest. Electric and water was good - no sewer. WiFi was non-existent unless you got a site near the main office. Cellular reception was very mediocre. If you want to lose contact with family, friends, business… this is the place to go.

The rules are extremely enforced. My left tire on the car was 6 inches on the grass… the rangers left a violation notice on my car. Unfortunately my site was quite small for a 40 foot motorhome so I had to park very close to the road. One evening, just after showering, I hear a bang on the front door. Ranger S.S. (Initials of ranger) told me I am not allowed to run the generator. My generator was not on. It was the 3 air-conditioners on the roof. Standard AC’s from the factory. His body language was obvious that he did not believe me so I offered to show him where the generator was - since it is a diesel pusher, right up front where we were talking. Also… why would I be running my generator if I was hooked up to 50AMP service. I also told him that generators are not located on roofs of RV’s. He finally relented when he saw I was getting quite aggravated with his body language. Another camper near our site told me that she was treated very rudely by the staff. I do not know who she spoke to but Ranger S.S. needs to take interpersonal skills classes and maybe a class on where generators are looked on motorhomes. They obviously will harass someone that is not doing a generator violation but do not enforce barking dogs…

There was only one dump station for Loop B. Each RV took about 15 minutes. If you are third in line, you will be waiting… Since there is no sewer, you would think they would offer more than one dump station.

No matter if you wear long sleeves and long pants, plus use bug spray, the mosquitos are vicious. Between gnats and mosquitos, sitting outside to eat is nearly impossible. Otherwise, this is a visually beautiful park.

Close to the water

Stayed so we'd be close to the water as well as in the park. Great base camp for activities. Could get up and walk to loop road with my bike, or go a little further and sit on the boulders overlooking the sea. Hiked across Cadillac Mtn and walked south and right back to camp. Sites were very gravely for tents and not level.

#1 Campground

I’ve gone to this campground for YEARS! The owners are very down to earth people and want everyone to feel welcomed. Haven’t been able to camp here the last 2 years but we are doing a family trip and going back later this summer!

Very convenient location on the island, also this campground is one of the stops for the Island Explorer to come pick you up. Close to Acadia National Park and Downtown Bar Harbor.

Also heard they just extended their WiFi so you can post all your awesome photos during your stay to make everyone jealous they aren’t there!

Central location on Mt Desert Island

Stayed here 2 nights in June. Large CG with many, many sites. Some waterside, others back up the hill a bit. The sites themselves were big and had trees enough for multiple hammocks. They also have wooden tent platforms at each; as most of the ground is rooted and uneven. Waterside sites are expensive, so keep that in mind. Each loop has its own bathhouse with showers that cost a dollar(in quarters) for 5 minutes. Fire ring and table at each site.

Family friendly

I love this campsite. They have sites right on the water, a gift shop, pool, laundry, game room, free showers and the times that I’ve been there they’ve had weekly events like ice cream socials and an Elvis impersonator. The staff is really friendly and helpful and the campsite is very clean and well maintained! ❤️

Narrows Too

We stayed early in the season, before Memorial Day, and there were very few camp sites that were occupied. The site we chose was one of the premium ocean front lots and it was beautiful. The view was incredible. We could watch cars driving up Cadillac Mountain from our camp chairs! The manager was friendly and let us explore the unoccupied sites/cabins. WiFi worked fine. Very close to take-out seafood….steamed lobsters and fried clams!

Not bad

Our site was 88 and it was great! Very big with room for rv, truck, and a wooden tent pad. Gravel and grass. Borrowed pot from office to cook lobster. Small laundry room. Convenient location!

Wonderful campground

I love this campground for tents or small trailers/vans. Most of the tent sites have wooden platforms! The scenery is great and it’s close to the park. Showers are $1 in quarters for 5 min which is more than enough time. Hot and clean.

One of our favorites!

We are tent campers and it’s difficult to find a review on tent sites at many KOAs. We were at site 403 and had family in a camping cabin.
We loved our site. Lots of room for our very large tent! We even put up a hammock and had room to have family over for campfires and meals. Bathrooms were close by and were always clean. It was close enough to the ocean to have a lovely view but not so close that we were swarmed with mosquitoes. Camp staff was fantastic and the stores were great. Loved exploring tide pools too!

Not a Bad National Park Option

This is one of the 3 camping options within Acadia National Park itself and the campground has 300+ sites. Despite being so large, the sites are wooded and relatively secluded which contribute to an overall feeling of not being at a mega-campground. At my time of visit, the staff was planting even more trees to act as additional privacy screens between sites. I ultimately opted to stay here because backcountry/dispersed camping is not allowed in Acadia and Blackwoods Campground is one of the few places where you can still camp within the park. It was a nice base for day hiking and it conveniently connects the the park’s trail system and also has a bus stop for the bus lines that service the park. The staff is incredibly informative and personally greets each person who checks into the campground (the only negative about this is the process tends to cause a bit of a traffic jam at the campground entrance). Of note, when booking your spot, you may want to avoid the sites that are situated right on the trails, unless you want a constant flow of people walking along your site. Overall, my stay here was a positive experience and I do not have any complaints about the grounds, other campers, or the facilities. I ultimately rated Blackwoods as 4 stars because although well located and overall a nice spot, it lacked a certain wow factor that other 5 star front country national park campgrounds have.

Amazing campground, but bring bug spray!

This was my second time going to Seawall campground, I had such a great experience last year I wanted to go back! I love the back-country feel of the hike-in campsites (loop D). For stargazers, the short walk across the street to the beach will give you some unbelievable views of the milky way when the night is at peak darkness.

A short drive to the main part of the park & far enough away so that it's not crowded during busy weekends. Just remember to bring a ton of bug repellent, or opt to go during the months where bugs are less mild.

Sea air & ocean views.

My favorite campground, the sites are grassy and huge! There are no hookups, it’s a State Park. There is a dump station. There are flush toilets and showers that are outdated, but I would guess that by this year they would have been replaced with the new ones in all the other campgrounds. Almost all the sites in the RV loop are pull through. So much privacy in these sites unless you choose the two that are right on the road. Some RV’s can get into the water sites. This campground doesn’t seem as crowded as the other parks. It’s a drive to get here, but I think it’s worth it.

Great place

Stayed a few times - on the water and farther up the camp ground! Great place last visit had very loud neighbors but other then that great service, clean, affordable!

Honeymoon Campground

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon to Acadia National Park! We stayed in a small cabin and it was perfect for our stay. Weather was a bit cold when we were there (October 2018), but there was a space heater. Had space to prepare food as well as a microwave, fire pit, and grill for use. The showers and bathroom were well maintained and close to the cabins. Walking distance to the Bass Harbor Lighthouse and other National Park hiking trails. We loved it and look forward returning for another trip!

Really cool

Stayed here in the weekend I proposed, to my now wife. Excellent hiking. Sweet tiny cabins

Wonderful place to stay, clean sites with many trees

They have bathrooms but no showers and have hiking trails right from the campgrounds

Explore Acadia from this fantastic site!

This site is simply amazing all around. I've stayed here several times, both with just a few people and with whole groups and every time it has been fantastic. The last time we stayed and it happened to rain a couple of times over our five day trip. This didn't stop us from biking the carriage trails or taking the free shuttle out to Bar Harbor and exploring there. Quick note, make use of the Acadia National Park Chimani app, it had lots of handy information, plus the shuttle schedule and it works without service. The sites are a good size and the bathrooms are really nice. There are pay showers a little down the road from the campground.

Go-To Campground for Annual Excursion

My friend's family has been going to Acadia every summer for probably 15 years, and myself and other friends would tag along and have a big ol' fun time. And every single year, we stay at the Blackwoods campground. You would think I'd have more pictures, but there's so much to do around the site that you forget to document!

The campsites themselves are usually completely booked throughout the season, so make sure you plan and book in advance. However, never have I once got the feeling of things being really busy of overrun with people. The sites are decently sized and well taken care of. Even though there are a ton of individual sites, you really feel like you're in the forest and each site is separated by dense trees, giving you the feeling of peaceful solitude. The campsites themselves are pretty standard; fire rings, picnic table, flat ground for tents. Bathhouses are always in walking range. I think quarter showers are in select ones (though you don't need it--splash around ion Hunters Brook where is crosses route 3. You can even jump from the road when it's deep enough!). What I really like about these sights are the intermingling of trees, making good bases for hammocks, slacklines, and whatever things you need to hang between trees.

One of the best parts of staying in the Blackwoods campground is the proximity to the cliffs over the ocean. From Loop A, there is a little trail that takes you to to Park Loop road. Cross it, and you're on some rocky cliffs over the ocean. Amazing views. Awesome for bouldering too, if you're into climbing. And one night every trip, my friends and I bring our sleeping bags and sleep on the rocks over the ocean. 10/10 would recommend. Just make sure you're above the high tide line! The stars are unbeatable, as well as the sunrise. We really stay at Blackwoods campground just for this being close by.

Beautiful campground over looking Frenchmens Bay. Blueberry fields to pick.

This large campground over looks Frenchmens bay. Large pool. Inexpensive laundry. Blueberry fields free to pick July to August. Pay showers. No reservations though. Come in early morning and wait for others to leave to grab the best sites. Or grab what ever is available and look the next morning for who leaves the better sites. Shuttle bus for free to any where, almost, on the island. The manager is a bit neurotic and that's the reason it is at 4 stars not 5. We will keep going for the campground price and place until the manager ruins it for us or they close it.

Such a great place! We stayed right by the water and it was just breath taking. Restrooms were clean and the owners/workers are nice and helpful. We will defiantly be back.

Simply Acadia Style Camping

Blackwoods campground is a very large, very busy, somewhat rustic campground in the heart of Acadia National Park. We camped here 3 nights in July and every site was full. The sites are fairly standard, with a picnic table and fire ring. There are bathrooms generally within a short walk from each site, but no showers. There is a private shower house just outside the campground, bring your roll of quarters with you. You can also purchase firewood just about everywhere outside the campground itself. There is a shuttle bus that runs to the campground and will take you to various other parts of the park including many trailheads. We camped in site A31 which was directly off the campground loop road, but felt more private than many of the sites located in the inner circles of the campground. We could walk a short trail from camp to the ocean. There is no WiFi, and little cell phone coverage at all within the area. Amenities are few within the campground itself, but this is an area people come to explore and take in the beauty of Acadia, not hang out at camp.

Just as AMAZING as Acadia National Park

This campground was just as beautiful and spectacular as the actual Acadia National Park (which is very close by). We tent camped here and our site was beautiful, as well as secluded from others nearby. Each site had its own privacy - that was our favorite part - you felt like it was just you and nature, but in reality you were surrounded by people. The view over the lake was unexplainable. Facilities were clean. All around an amazing campground!!

Perfect campground for exploring Acadia and Bar Habor!

My husband and I stayed here in June 2018 in our popup. We had some trouble manuvering our camper into our spot because of the one way roads through the campground, but once we were in it was a perfectly cozy and private site! Bathhouses were nice and clean. Overall we loved our stay and can't wait to come back!

Lobster

Very campground, right on water. Plenty of space on the nicer sites, could be a little more level. We were there in July, mosquitos were terrible! Ad to purchase a screen enclosure to be able to sit outside.

Great campground!

The location of this campground is perfect for a camping trip to see one of America’s most beautiful parks. Right outside the northern part of the park, you can easily get into the park without being right in the middle of the park where more people are. You have access to the water, the campsites are smaller but give you a great feeling of being in the woods. Showers and bathrooms are great too!

Loved it.

It’s been several years since our family stayed at this campground. We had a secluded site which sloped down to the bay. Very quiet and an incredible place to star gaze. I hope to return someday.

The Quiet side of Acadia

This is a tough Campground to get into. Reservations are almost a must. These sites have power and water. Dump station nearby in the park. Beautiful new Visitor Center.

Worth the effort. Many things to do in the area, and great seafood.

Loved our campsite at Acadia East Campground!

We had a beautiful view of the night sky from the Acadia Mtn campsite! My boyfriend and I brought our dog, who had plenty of room to enjoy.