Vanceburg, KENTUCKY

Most Recent Vanceburg Camping Reviews
Small, cheap, and difficult to find.

Super cheap at only 8.50 a night, but its located within a gated community. You must go to the main gate at 1 Waynoka Dr. Sardinia, OH 45171 to enter the they will give you a map to the campground. Lots are ok, but gravel. Nice bath houses and electric is at each site. Not much hiking or adventure here but a good place to camp a few nights. Lots of permanent campers and kids biking around. Good shade. First come first serve, but they usually have a few sites open when we go.

Quiet and good hicking.

Nice Campground, electric but no water at the sites. Lots of good tent or small camper spots, but be selective if you have a camper bigger than 25ft. I recommend site 82, 83, 85, or 78. Great trails, nice lake, plenty of shade and creeks. Not much access to a good town for supplies so bring what you need. If you want to take a drive for a great hole in the way steak house try The Ribber. But go early 45 min wait at 4pm and it gets worse.

Our favorite place.

We avoid many state parks due to the amount of rules and being stacked right on top of others. Once we discovered Falls, we only camp here. Kids can be seen from all spots, all over the campground. Very family friendly. Clean. Fantastic staff. Every time we think of trying a new place, we go back here instead. They also have a fantastic Halloween themed October. We love the experience each and every year!

Very Cool Spot

This place is new and under great ownership. Justin took the evening call, guided us in then got us quickly settled and told us “ the just right “ amount of info on the campsite and area. The tent sites are very cool. They have a large flat grassy area with lots of sites right beside the river. The RV sites are new, drive through and flat , with electric , and water. There something cool to be facing the cornfield and being in unique open space. Our dog loved it !

Highly Recommend!!

Motor Vehicle Area

The Hanging Rock Recreation area features tons of well kept ATV trails for motor bikes or quads (max width allowed is 50 inches). Besides the ATV trails, there are tons of little lakes that are ideal for fishing! There is a large parking area in the middle of the park with a restroom, and at least one other restroom further down the road. I noticed several “fire pits” in gravel pull offs in the park. Not sure if fires are allowed though.

We hiked here today to retrieve some trail cameras from the surrounding Wayne National Forest for a spotted skunk study at Ohio University. Along and just off the trails were tons of gorgeous wildflowers like trilliums, violets, showy orchids, and more!

Family Friendly

A great family getaway. Lots of camp sights, convenient playgrounds, putt putt, nature center, trails and climbing area. Bathrooms were standard & bring shower shoes. Otherwise fantastic.

Great campgrounds, good amenities, and quiet!

We were a large group (16 people) and reserved grounds at Zilpo for a 4 day trip. We wanted to ensure we were close, so we chose H loop sites 35, 37, and 38. 35 and 38 are right next to each other, so it was easy to walk between the two, and 37 was rather secluded and used primarily as overfill sleeping grounds.

Overall, the campsite was great. We went during the end of August and it was really quiet. The lake was a muddy and murky, but that's typical for a man-made lake. The showers had no warm water, but we'll take a cold shower over no shower.

Electric hookups worked perfectly. Two people brought electric vehicles and were able to plug into the TT-30 outlet and reported no issues the entire trip.

There was cell coverage for all the major cell phone providers, which was a negative in our opinion. But that's totally your preference and I don't take that into my star rating.

Best place to stay for the racing

Best place to stay for the racing. Rick will treat you good.

Awesome campground on the lake!

This time of year (October) this campground is walk up only. We got there as quick as we could and are glad we did as we were able to grab an awesome site. There are tent sites and RV sites here and the campground is gorgeous. It’s right on a lake(so expect boat traffic) and there are several loops all along the lake. Those loops are connected by a trail that I enjoyed walking on. Internet service is spotty there– our Verizon hotspot worked ok, but the Sprint was super slow. There are mountain biking trails that you can access right from the campground so that was nice. You can also go on a short hike up one of the knobs. However, there really isn’t a good view at the top. I loved this campground and would go back in a heartbeat! In fact, I didn’t want to leave!

Quiet Campground with Trees and Shade

Ranger Review: Morsel Spork at Pike Lake State Park

Campground Review:

We stayed at site 67 next to the camp host. The camp site was nicely shaded with a small creek behind it. We had a lot of shade and didn't feel like we were on top of our neighbors. Not all the sites were as spacious as ours so be careful which one you choose. In fact, there was one so small, I'm not sure where a tent would go…maybe plan on sleeping in your vehicle? The campground has drop toilets in a few spots (very clean) and up front they had a great shower house. There were four in total that had the toilet and shower all in one. There are baby changing stations in each of them as well. They were kept nice and clean. We walked up to the camp store which had a ton of items. If you forgot to bring it, they probably had it. There are two playgrounds, one in the campground and one right across the way. There is a small pond/lake that has a beach you can kayak or canoe and fish (renting them is an option). We like to hike and there were plenty of trails to follow. Some of the trails are horse and some are not. There is no cell phone service - we didn't get service until we were on our hike on top of the hill. We will definitely go back again.

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time- today I am testing the Morsel Spork and Morsel XL. I was able to get 4 products. I ordered 2 Morsel Sporks and 2 Morsel XL. I got green (my favorite color) and my husband got blue. They stay in our kitchen box that we use for camping. For dinner we had a salad and mashed potatoes with Backpackers Shepherd Pie. The fork part of the spork was used for the salad and did just fine. I then used the spoon part of the spork to scrape up the small leftovers (cheese, crouton crumbs, etc.), it cleaned up really well. My husband was able to use the XL Spork to stir in the Backpackers bag, and guess what? It reached the bottom without his hand having to go deep inside to reach the bottom. The rubber edge on the spoon part is like having your own little spatula to make sure you get every last piece of your food. In the morning we had Biscuits and Gravy (in a bag) and again we used the XL Spork and ate right out of the bag instead of dirtying more dishes. They are dishwasher safe, but as my husband tells you, it's clean…I just licked everything off.

I'd recommend getting a Morsel Spork - find the size you need, they have a few to choose from.