The best WALK IN camping near
Rodney , IOWA

Most Recent Rodney Camping Reviews
quiet park in the country

I went to college nearby, so i knew of this park but had never visited. On our way to Wyoming from Chicago, we stopped to stay here overnight.  Other than saying it's a nice place in the woods, in what is otherwise open farmland, I don't have much else I can say.

Busy

Stone State Park, Sioux City, Iowa

End of a not to long day driving across Iowa……corn, lotsa corn! We stopped at Dolliver Memorial State Park for a hike about midday, it looked a bit better taken care of then Stone SP.

This is basically a small primitive campground with electric added to some sites. Not horrible for an overnight….

First impression…..I considered getting back on the road. The people that I saw in the meager campground looked somewhat homeless. No offense and they do need to stay somewhere however they could also keep their areas decluttered and detrashed. There was a family staying on the far side of the ditch that seemed to be camping.

There was constant vehicle traffic around the small loop my site was on, they seemed to have no purpose other then to stare. The campground shower house was used by whomever felt like using it which also added to the traffic.

After Maquoketa Cave SP this is a disappointment. The trails were overgrown and the map was not easy to orient. I only explored so far so I may have missed the cool stuff that signifies this park. There was sketchy coverage for your phone so I couldn’t pull up Alltrails, make sure to download before You drive in.

Clean & kid friendly

Well kept & family friendly camping in Iowa! We were able to reserve an electric unit (#30) right off the lake and across the road from the large playground (~5 setups for different age groups). We could watch the kids play while getting food ready or preparing a line to throw in the water. Short walk to the very clean restrooms with flush toilets & showers. Will come back!

Surprise find in Iowa!

I stayed here on a long road trip across the country. Had no idea such a scenic place could be found in Iowa! I chose the closest walk-in spot, less than a mile in. It was great! Near a little creek if you need water, and really nicely secluded. Picnic table and fire ring included. Also, there’s a trail up a hill right near by that had great views of the area and a lovely sunset! I would definitely recommend. Just a head’s up: I saw some pics of people car camping here on this site. Not sure how that would work since it’s supposed to be walk-in only and pretty clearly roped off from access with a car.

Clean, very nice campground, kid friendly

There’s a pretty big playground near all the sites. When I went in the first weekend of October they had a little trick or treat night too! Extremely nice amenities; flush toilet and showers. Very nice for Iowa state parks.

Cottonwood Marina & RV park is home when in Nebraska

Love this place. Band on the weekends, playground, full level hookups on gravel, free wifi and on the river

Great state park, but closed

This is a state park in Iowa right off the Missouri river. And also directly next to or connected to the great nature preserve Desoto Bend. Unfortunately there were massive floods in 2019 in this area that effected the area near the missouri, Platte, and Elkhorn river. Due to these flood this great park is closed along with other parks that are still closed. If you look around and see a few parks that are closed and some that are open but have repairs needed. I hope this park will open in the future. And this and other parks get the repairs that they need. This park is one of Iowa best in my opinion.

Nice, and clean lake

This place was pleasantly clean to me. Blue lake which is the lake this state park sits on. When you drive in from the road you see on your right the lake and to your left are houses. You go farther down and you see picnic accesses off the lake. And there is a swimming area and beach further down with a fully accessible restroom. There is also a keelboat on display and visitor center with a musuem. The center was closed when we were here, (thanks covid). Behind that is a dock and a little look out tower next to it. This is where we saw people kayak mainly. You go farther down and this was where the campsites were. This appeared to be more of a park set up for rv and campers than any tents. You go farther down pass this and you find more accesses to trails, and taller grass. This is a great park especially for a rv, and how clean it is.

Great quiet lake less than 5 minutes from Tekamah

Summit is a great lake just west of Tekamah, and less than a hour from Omaha. Turning the corner off the highway to go to the park, the first thing we see are 2 eagles soaring over the area and lake. You come around the last bend or turn and there it is this 190 acre beauty. You come into the road on the other side of the campground and there is a day use area. Then on the other side of the road is a restaurant. Then you get to the other side of the lake, and there is the campgrounds. The big thing that separates Summit from some of the other lakes in this area, is the abounds of trees and more shade. There is a few fishing accesses, as well as a dock. This lake is one of the better kayaking lakes I have been to. This thing is surrounded by hills and creates a valley or bowl. This hills seem to offer a form of wind block as well as 2 miles of hiking and biking trails. There is a beach, and swimming area near the dock. There are basic restrooms as well as shower house available in the campground. The fishing appears to be good as well, but I did not fish yet. This is a campground that I am definitely going back to again and spend more time at.

Beautiful Park

Ponca State Park is beautiful. The drive from Omaha was so quick and easy. The park is beautiful with tons of trails and things to explore. The overlooks are great, you can see so much of the river. Bathroom areas are well kept and so are the grounds. The campsites are well spread out and we found the perfect spot away from other sites and with great shade. Dog friendly was a huge perk. We definitely will return!