Riverdale , IOWA

Most Recent Riverdale Camping Reviews
Right on the Mississippi!

This is a really nice campground right on the Mississippi! The campground is quiet with level gravel pads with a picnic table and firepit. The sites have electric, water to fill your tanks with dispersed throughout the campground, and a dump station. The sites are well spaced and the campground itself is feels more like a park that happens to have RV parking. There was a playground, showers, pit toilets, and even a small amphitheater next to the river. And the views are incredible!!! There are a few non-electric tent only sites as well. We were disappointed that we could stay one night due to our schedule. We will definitely stay again!

Stroll through the bat village

Maquoketa Cave State Park , Maquoketo, Iowa

We stopped here for two days on our “Westward Ho” road trip in mid August 2020. Temperatures 80’s in the day to 60’s overnight.

I am not highly familiar with Iowa, I will admit however I AM extremely amazed at this little unique Park in the middle of farmland Iowa. Most of the trip here was driving between fields of corn as far as the eye could see (we came through Illinois).

The town of the same first name is small but the necessities can be had. Found a small shop with local meat, honey and yummies. The drive to the park was pretty straight forward with signage along the way.

This is a very basic park, no lake, no added attractions just trails , picnicking and a small , quiet (well…. I had a family directly across with very talkative, argumentative, sometimes loud children, …luck of the draw ;) and well shaded, electric sites. I like the spacing, privacy and shade. There are several water hydrants throughout the campground to use. A shower house that I will be visiting soon. Firewood on site, with donation box.

You probably don’t want sites 1 or 2, they are directly across from the dump site. The plus is they are directly across from the playground , picnic area and trail access.

Trail access is a short walk across the shelter/ picnic area. As of right now Officially the caves are closed. I saw several hikers not being official though.

The trails have sign posts and the map in a VERY general way gives you some idea as to where you are at BUT there are trails criss crossing everywhere so make sure you have your map tracker on. The trails/scenery are AMAZING! LOVED IT! Needs some maintenance (ie, downed trees) but they may have limited staffing right now. I would suggest a visit even if you only have a few hours. Once they reopen the caves I will absolutely be back.

Stunning!

Met in the middle to go camping with a friend from Indiana. The views were just stunning. Absolutely breathtaking. We had site 51, and could see and hear the river from our campsite. Sunset on the river, the amphitheater, the park, the sites themselves, all solid 5 stars from us! The only downfall, the bathrooms were clean…ish. They were usable, but definitely could have used a more rigorous and more often clean, especially with covid precautions in place and posted throughout the campground. 100% would stay here again!

Decent walkin campsite, caves awesome!

The campground here was quiet during the week and small in general which we like! There are a few walk-in sites that are accessible by walking down a path about 150-200 ft. Wish it had been a little farther back away from the parking lot and other sites but i think we always wish that. Decent privacy with only a few other campsites back in that same area of wood so that was nice.

The caves were unexpectedly super cool! Neither my husband nor I had ever gone. We weren’t expecting much but wow! Lots to see in a small area. The hike didn’t take too long around and many of the caves were closed (probably due to COVID) but we kindve stuck our heads halfway in and WOw. We want to come back when they’re are more opened. I bet it’s super busy on weekends. Probably would avoid that. There was other hiking to do away from the caves but we didn’t venture too far as it was quite hot and we were running low on water. There’s a little stream that runs kindve out into the prairie lands on one side and we stopped to stick our feet in. Highly recommend that.

Over all, lovely few days out in the woods. We would visit again!

sfellwut

seaflatocea

Arnold Wulf’s Rural Oasis

I’m a bit biased on this one as Arnold Wulf is my great-grandfather, but I do have a lot of fond memories from this park.

Near Lost Nation, Oxford Junction, and Wyoming, IA this park is an unexpected find in rural, eastern Iowa. The camping areas have expanded. Plenty of hook-ups for RVs and such, but there are also some backcountry, hike-in sites off of the main trail. Most of the available camping is right off the road that goes through Eden Valley County Refuge, so that’s not the most ideal.

The swinging bridge and observation tower are the main structural attractions, but there are also several caves scattered about. Overall, very enjoyable and there aren’t a lot of places like this nearby. Worth a stop if you’re in the area.

Nice, wooded, private sites.

We took a chance. We wanted to camp last minute and it was the only place taking reservations. We would definitely come back.

Nice stop for a trip west

Nice campground, not crowded and great hike to caves. Trails map not very good. Caves closed but could still see where they were. Deer on the trail. Bathrooms decent.

Surprised

Camping during Covid

Caves were closed but we had a great time hiking the trails. Very clean campground. Plenty of wood for campfires, just had a donation box. Electric campsites have plenty of shade. The ground is gravel, which my dog hated. Next time we plan to try the primitive sites. First time camping at an Iowa state park and we were impressed!