The best GROUP camping near
Alta Vista , IOWA

Most Recent Alta Vista Camping Reviews
Great campground with lots of activities.

If you're looking for a wooded campground that offers you both quiet sites to relax but also offers a variety of activities for all ages, this is the place for you to setup your tent, or RV. For little ones, there is a large sand playground area with slides and swings. There is a sand beach to swim, where they also rent kayaks & canoes. The campground is located along the Cedar river, for those who want to boat and fish on a river, as well as multiple lakes to fish and a lake to ski. There are numerous soft bike trails throughout the park. And a hard trail that is part of 150 miles of bike trails in the Waterloo & Cedar Falls area.

The campground's shower house is handicap accessible. All sites have 50 amp service and the water provided is from the city of Waterloo. There is an onsite dump station.

Crowded, many RVs. Decent tent sites along river.

From someone who typically prefers backpacking and sleeping in remote areas, this campground facility, pretty much in the city, is okay.

The facilities are nice, bathrooms were clean. What I didn't enjoy was how close each RV site is. The sparks from our fire were making their way to our neighbors site.

The campground is situated next to the Trout Run Trail, providing quick and easy access to the 11-mile loop or in to the city center of Decorah.

Overall, decent for a city campground, but very crowded. The tent sites near the river look more spaced out.

This was a nice campground with private sites. We were in site 70e and was very private and close the the showers. Lots of great hiking and forestville is very charming but tours were not running due to COVID. There was no AT&T cell coverage.

Great hidden gem

Out in the middle of bluff country. This nice campground plays to the active bodied person well. From golf to tubing to an indoor swimming pool and restaurant. This place has a lot to offer.

Great location. Perfect for families.

Great location on the bike trail and Root River. You can easily walk or ride into town. Bathrooms and showers are clean and centrally located. The best features are the huge playground for kids and the river tubing option right from the campground. It’s decently quiet at night but there are a lot of large RVs so expect some people and car activity.

Private oasis

7/17/20-7/19/20

I found this private campsite on Hipcamp and it had great reviews, so we thought we would give it a try.

It exceeded our expectations

What a gorgeous and secluded weekend getaway. Eric sent very detailed instructions and was very helpful in his communication to make our stay and time at Bluff Hollow fabulius!

There were 2 options for camping - the upper site and lower near the river. We opted to camp and hang out down by the river. The bluff views from camp were beautiful and we spent most of our time kayaking and playing in the water. The lower space was wooded, shady and spacious enough for multiple tents and our 4 hammocks. It also had a nice fire pit. The upper site had a picnic table, fire pit and one of the cleanest outhouses I have seen.

The property was gorgeous and well kept. There were many trails you could take to do some exploring. The wildflowers were beautiful and we saw a deer. I highly recommend this campsite if you are looking for privacy, beauty and a river-side experience. Thank you, Eric!

Nice, quiet campground

Our site was very large, which was nice as it gave us more than enough room to set up our tent, leaving space between us and the neighboring sites.

For the families - there’s a couple small playgrounds on site, which is a good opportunity for the littles to burn some energy. There’s also a nice covered pool, but we didn’t use it because the most shallow point was 4’6”, which is great for bigger kids, but with little ones, it’s a bit more difficult. There’s a river that offers tubing. Again, our kids are a bit too little for that, but we went down to the water to check it out, and it was beautiful, quiet, and not real deep. Perfect for a relaxing float.

Beware, the office and bar/restaurant are located inside the barn. I say beware because there are barn swallows that nest on the outside of the barn. TONS of barn swallows. They’re mostly harmless, but they do swoop down and get pretty close, so you need to watch out a little bit.

All in all, it’s a pretty great place to camp. Beautiful, quiet (people seem to mostly respect the idea of “quiet time”), spacious, and relaxing. Also, it doesn’t hurt that you’re away from the bright lights of the city, so star gazing is amazing!

Best Memories of My Childhood

I’m probably a little biased. My parents started coming to this park to ride horses in the 70s. We spent at least 3wks every year here when I was a kid trail riding, hiking, even tubing down the Root River (there’s no commercial tubing available and you have to get up and walk through rocky shallow spots, so it isn’t ideal for this, but tell my 10yr old self that).

I stayed here recently in the “people campground.” I hiked 12mi in one day and had a great time. The campsite itself was great—privacy and no loud neighbors. I always make sure to stay in spots without electric if possible to escape the culture and noise that accompanies RV camping. Site #4 isn’t very level, but it backs up to the river and the access trail out of the campground. Forestville never disappoints me—I even randomly ran into my own uncle while hiking!

Good Base Camp to Explore Cedar Falls

It was kind of loud, but it was busy. The lake for swimming was a little gross but we did it anyway. The bike trails are excellent and same for hiking. Bathrooms were a little old but clean when we were there, but there were massive hornets all over the bathroom area. It's also pretty bright here at night because it's right in the city. But overall, a decent, cheap place to tent camp if you want to explore Cedar Falls.

Great get away.

Nice county park along the Cedar river. Boating and fishing was fun. Had a small swimming beach, nice bathrooms and showers dump station. Saw many people swimming off their boat/pontoons as the bottom is sandy and the current is very very slow. PS Don't try to tube down the river at the end of July-- too slow. It had a nice boat ramp with 3 docks and has nice big campsites. The only down side was the noise from the traffic going over the bridge nearby. There is also a nice walking trail a couple miles away on the river by Mitchell that we enjoyed.