The best BOAT IN camping near
Ramsey Acres , ILLINOIS

Most Recent Ramsey Acres Camping Reviews
Nice state park

We stopped for a night on our way through.  Had a nice quiet spot right on the river.  With the locks closed this year, the traffic on the river was way down.  It would have been fun to watch the boats but oh well.  Easy in and out right off the interstate.  Not busy at all mid week.

Fun place to go

We have only been to this campground one time because we wanted to try something new. We had a lot of fun there playing in the water on the beach however my son who was five at the time got a really bad bacterial rash from the water. Other than that we had a really good time and the campground was very clean and everyone was really nice. We were definitely go back but not to swim in the water LOL

Fishing and Boating fun

Love going to this campground. Always nice and clean. Bath/showers are very clean with hot water. Nicely kept grounds with a beautiful lake for dock and boat fishing. You can rent boats and they have a nice camping store. Downside, not too many other things to do. Long drive to get into town and not much there but a gas station and grocery store.

Hope you have a good boat

It’s a 2 mile drift downriver from the boat launch to the campground. When we were there the river was placid and we had no trouble paddling back when our stay was over. The conditions on the river depends largely on the dam 3 miles up river in Oregon. We have a 17’ canoe, so we had lots of gear and momentum. The sites are primitive, but have tables and fire pits. Since all sites are on the riverbank and there’s a state forest across the river, you really do feel like you’re away from it all. However on the backside of the grounds you can cross over Rt. 2 to the parking lot at the prairie and forest trailheads. If the Rock River seems too big for you, drive upriver 11 to He-Leo Two Rivers Preserve. Easy to miss, but worth it. From there you can check out the shady, winding and intimate Leaf River. Nearby are two other state parks worth exploring; Lowden and White Pines.

Weekend Camping with lots of activities

For years, this was our go-to campground for weekend nearby adventures. Over the years, the price has increased and at $30 per site for non-residents, it's a bit steep for tent camping for me (so I left off a star rating). All sites are electric, so if you are tent camping and want your fan or slow-cooker, then it's as good as it gets in the burbs. It's located in a beautiful wooded Dupage County Forest preserve. While the sites are pretty close together, there are a few good ones that feel more secluded. Designated chip bark tent sites are level. The grounds are very well maintained. While I didn't camp here this year, I took these photos the last weekend in October to give everyone a sense of how nice this campground could be for them. My favorite sites over the years were the ones closest to Silver Lake along the South Loop road because those sites have the best views. For privacy, my favorite site is #27 on the north loop road which makes you feel like you are alone in the woods. Other than plenty of hiking options including a big hill, the fishing is outstanding. There are lots of places along the lake and ponds to get an easy catch and release. There is also archery, a dog park, picnic areas, boat rental/ramp, and a compass course. It is a great place for families. I've brought cub scouts here and my kids' friends. Heads-up that sites 21 & 22 may not be able to see traffic on the busy Winfield Rd in the summer, but you will still hear it at those sites.

Fall Camping at Shabbona

We have been to Shabbona a few times, and have always had a great time!  We really enjoy their pontoon boat rentals and fishing.  The view from our site was great.  Appreciated the little path behind our site that lead to the water.  My kiddos enjoyed hiking throughout and catching frogs.  I was disappointed that the water was already turned off (the lady at the store said she thinks it was due to covid??).  It was also disappointing that the camp store closed on a Saturday, didn't give notice that the last day to buy firewood was on Friday, and then it would be first come, first serve.  Because of the water/campstore closing I did give it 4 stars instead of 5.  My husband said the latrines in Canvasback Cove were "decent".  The main shower house with flushing toilets was clean.  Sites are not very private, but the fall colors made up for it.  We did name the tree our camper was under "baby spider tree".  Oddly, our last day we woke up to TONS of baby spiders all over our campsite dangling from the tree… pretty gross, but we can laugh about it now, lol.  Overall, we will be back next spring since it is a close campground.  May try a campsite in the other circle.

A little something of everything

Friendly staff and a nicely stocked store. Has a pool, petting zoo, kayaks, rocky beach, dog park, and a land pillow! The sites are spaced out well and there are more secluded sites so you have the feeling of privacy or big group sites for a big party.

Great place

Been camping here a couple times! Really fun, the have boat rentals, and fishing. Only down fall is the sites were too close to each other

Disconnected from outside world

Very cool experience! It was no joke when the other reviews said it was a almost a 3 hour canoe back up to the boat launch. However, it was a very great experience once we got to the campsite. There is a porta potty, but there is no clean drinking water. Cell phone signal is not that great, but you really don't need it. Stars ✨ look amazing at night. Mosquitoes were not bad at all. Just some bud but all they do is annoy you. Make sure you have a good canoe/kayak. Don't recommend an inflatable one like I did. Some parts of the river are shallow enough to walk on too. Overall, I do recommend Castle rock state park to camp if you have a good kayak/canoe or have a motor boat. It was very peaceful only a few people came the weekend we went. Everyone had there own space and didn't feel too close to each other.

Oof