The best WALK IN camping near
Stanley , IDAHO

Most Recent Stanley Camping Reviews
Beautiful Country

The Sawtooth recreation area has it all.  Camping, fishing, hiking, biking, skiing.  Ketchum is the nearest town which is an activity all in itself.  There are also hot springs in the area.  We love it here in the winter.  Miles of cross country skiing and snowshoeing.  There are numerous campgrounds within this recreation area.

Right on the river

This is a very popular campsite all year round.  It is right on the river and hot springs.  Close to other hiking and other forest activities.  Can be crowded.

Limited services but good

Near the lake. No water, has vault toilets. Roads can be slick.

Nice primitive sites

Warm Lake Shoreline Campground is a nice walk in area right on the shore of the lake. You can walk down to fish, swim or kayak/paddle board. This is one of the better areas I think in this campground. Less walk through traffic then other area but access to everything. Good size sites, your neighbors are within shouting distance but it’s still quiet. Your in the trees and off to one side of the lodge so vehicle traffic is not very noticeable either. Worth the drive for the scenery and peacefulness.

Awesome area

Warm Lake Picnic Point

One of several options for the recreation area. This is a primitive area with the lodge within easy walking distance. Room for a small group with tents and hammocks. Mostly level and direct access tot he lake.

Quite a drive to this beautiful lake but apparently it is well liked by locals because it was crowded!

The water is crystal clear and fishing is popular. There is a trail that goes completely around the lake but we turned back when a snake crossed our path.

The forest fires were further into the forest but the smoke haze was ever present.

Awesome Campground

This campground is near Highway 21 but far enough off the road for a quiet camping experience.  Lots of room for all kinds of vehicles and choices of camping styles here.  This is actually one of my favorite place to snow shoe in the winter.

First time camping

This park was our first park to ever camp at, lucked out and caught an opening in the middle of the pandemic, booked it online and left 4 days later for a week of bliss in the woods. My first time to northern Idaho, it's absolutely breathtaking The lake itself is beautiful surrounded by tall pines and Lilly pads. The hiking trails are easy for all ages, though the big loop is something to take slow, and bring plenty of water to drink. The bullfrogs at night help you drift off to sleep. It rained 3 nights when we were there and it was some of the best sleep we've ever had. We had a rooftop tent on our 4 runner and it for perfect in the tent site. You don't have to be an rv to rent a site with water and electricity. It's definitely a spot we will add to our yearly travels.

Better than Yellowstone In My Oppinion

I stayed here to go horseback riding (very reasonable prices) up to get a good view of the sawtooth mountains. The campground views from the water were spectacular. sure there’s no colorful acid pits, or buffalo, but there is great hiking, and wonderful wildlife around. I saw some black tail deer, big horned sheep, elk and even a mountain lion. I saw no predators in Yellowstone so it made the trip better .

The comet NEOWISE made an appearance and was mind blowing! If star gazing is something you enjoy, this area is amazing. If you plan to see something special, make sure you PLAN AHEAD!

I spent a lot of time barefoot as the area around the fire pit was concrete instead of the usual gravel I’m used to.

About thirty minutes away there’s a wonderful historic town called Clayton. I recommend taking a day to explore the ghost towns and try to visit one of the hot spring areas.

Remote Car Camping

Grandjean has several campsites, some on the river, some not.  Some of the sites would accommodate smaller truck bed campers and maybe trailer campers.  We tent camp and needed the 4-wheel drive to get to the end of the road.  I didn't see any RV sites, there might be one or two around but its unlikely that there would be hookups of any kind.  There might be a restroom off the main road on the way toward Grandjean but there were none close to any of the campsites around us.  I would describe this as remote car camping.  Established tent sites and fire pits, beautiful scenery, privacy and not a lot of extras.   The Sawtooth Lodge is up the road and does offer RV space, tent camping and cabins.  I am speaking of the rustic camping sites between Highway 21 and the Sawtooth Lodge.

Close to town and nice

We stayed here last night. I know we’re at the end of the season, so the water was already turned off. There was a sign saying all sites $10. The river (creek) begins the campground was great, drowned out sound of the road. Big sites, 2 vault toilets and easy access to Ketchum.