Discovery Harbour , HAWAII

Camping Hawaii Discovery Harbour

Most Recent Discovery Harbour Camping Reviews
Best beach ruined

Beautiful and clean.

Unfortunately, Locally run and corrupt.

I live here. I had a dispute with one of the "security/managers" of the park. I wanted to be treated with respect and he disagreed. Out of spite, he made up a story about me breaking rules.

I wrote a letter to the board and discovered that they're all his friends and family.

So I've been banned forever from camping at my favorite beach in the world, for resisting bullying. So be prepared to be treated with disdain from parking to check out without defending yourself. This experience was only with one man. The rest were really nice.

Great day trip

lots Of trails for a variety of levels

Beautiful, plus great scuba diving

My husband and I really liked Manuka State Wayside. One thing we really loved about this place was that there was an awesome place to scuba dive close by. It was a company that took us out pretty far, and we were able to scuba dive with some turtles, and even saw some shark. I can't remember the name of the business, but it was right next to Manuka. The scuba diving took about 4hrs total, because of the boat ride plus dive. When we came back we played on the beach and did some people watching. We went to an ice cream shop up the road, and came back to the beach and watched the sunset. This area was pretty busy, but I think thats because it was during the summer. There is a walking/running path that goes along the beach that was nice as well. We walked along here in the evenings after dinner.

Currently Closed

Due to the draining of the Lava Lake and constant earthquakes in Volcanoes National Park, this area is closed. At this time it is uncertain that it will open again.

Closed due to volcanic activity

I love camping at this spot. Namakanipaio has wonderful views the Milky Way, and used to have a great view of the glowing lava lake. It was a short hike to Jagger Museum, that now is being consumed by the caldera. With daily earthquakes in the area, it is no longer safe. you can not even stop in the highway in that area. Hopefully it will open again in the future.

Great snorkeling

My family and I loved this part of Hawai’i and coming to this beach. We had some of the best snorkeling we have ever had, here. We saw turtles, tons of fish, and 1 shark!! The water was super clear and pretty warm. There was also a really cool cliff to jump off of. This beach Park is close to the town, which makes it nice for food. There was a really great fish and chips place down the road. Reminded me of “Ivars” in Washington that we love! We also stopped by a snow cone place that served some of the biggest cones we’ve ever had. They also put ice cream in there’s which was awesome!!! In the morning before we did some hiking nearby, we stopped by a juice place. Wasn’t Sam good as the Kauai Juice Co. but it was still really good! The hiking was great! Great views of the beach and ocean. Super hot though, so I’m glad we started early in the morning. Loved this place and will definitely be back next year!!

So beautiful

This beach park offers so many activities, views, and great places to eat. This is one of my families favorite places to visit when coming to Hawaii. It is a drive from the big island, but definitely worth it. We stayed here 1 night before heading back to the big island. So glad we decided to make the trip. Its located on the south side of the big island, in the Ka'u District. One incredible thing about this beach and camping here is you get the best views of the ocean. It honestly doesnt get any better than that. We also enjoyed snorkeling here, too. I would highly recommend that. We also did a diving tour, which is one of the reasons we decided to come to this part of the island. The diving was incredible, highly recommend. We saw a shark, so many turtles, and lots of fish. One great thing about the park is there is no cost to come, which is awesome! We were warned, however, that the locals dont really take too kindly to people staying here. Not sure why, but everyone warned us. We camped in a spot that was hidden, so we didnt have any troubles. Just FYI before you plan to come here or stay long. Again, we stayed only 1 night and honestly were only in our camping spot for maybe 6hrs total. Just to sleep.

Wake up on a historic and pristine salt and pepper beach

My favorite place to camp in Hawaii. A small and isolated beach well hidden from the average person it seems. Ho'okena is a fun place to get a feel of local vibes for sure. Great and very accommodating staff. Real bathrooms as well as fairly clean port-o-poties they provide closer to the actual camp sites. Some really amazing snorkeling too!

Colder than you think

Awesome access to lots of trails and of course the volcano. Wouldn’t go right now with the eruptions but worth the visit in the future.

Bring extra warm stuff; can get windy and quite chilly at night.

Popular, can be busy

Beautiful black sand beach, awesome sunsets and rises. Strong undertow, swim at your own risk. Sea turtles, mongoose, centipedes, and lots of birds!

Bring bug spray if you want to hang outside past sunset.

Walk up the beach to the rocks and see more