The best TENT SITES camping near

• Orange Sun

Get 3 Months Free
Most Recent Quiet Place in the Woods Camping Reviews
Beautiful mountain setting!

We stayed in one of the tent-only, walk-in sites. This was our first (and so far, only) walk-in tent camping experience as a family. I gotta say - there were challenges.  They weren't unexpected, but still… It should go without saying but nothing here is flat. And after heavy rains some of the trails are not in the best of shape, quite rutted and muddy. So lugging a ton of gear up into the woods was a challenge. It was only 50ish yards, but it was not an easy 50ish yards. So setup and tear down was not the most fun part of the trip. Next time we'll pack lighter for this sort of camping.

However, with that out of the way, we had zero other complaints about our time here. Once we got to our site, it was awesome. The pad was in great shape, flat, clean and plenty large enough for our 9-person tent and all our gear. Other campsites could barely be seen through the woods so it felt very private and secluded.  The bathhouse was good, clean and in good shape. And the setting was amazing.

While here we also hiked a few trails.  The Tennessee Rock trail seems to be the most popular, but let me warn you -- it was NOT as easy as we expected. My youngest kid and my wife turned around and went back. I and my older kids, along with the dog, completed the hike, but it was challenging. Its narrow and very slippery in spots, with more elevation changes than you expect. I mean its not the sort of hike you need to prepare for and pack for the day, but at least have proper footwear and some water with you. And to be honest, if you're going for the mountain views, skip it. The best views in the whole park, by far, are accessible from the roadside, especially at the visitor's center.

Overall though, we thoroughly enjoyed this beautiful park and will definitely camp here again!

One of my favorite places!

We tent camped here back in March and absolutely LOVED IT. The trails were well maintained and accessible from the campsite. The bathrooms were clean and close by. The sites can be close together but I still felt like we had plenty of privacy. The visitors center is also close by! Unfortunately, we weren’t able to get floor permits due to weather-but the other hikes and wineries close by kept us busy. Each site has electrical hookups, fire pit, and a water pump. We can’t wait to go back!

One of my favorites

We tent camped at Amicolola in early May 2020…ir was cold one night but we built a great fire in the firepit which kept us warm.The camp sites are spacios gravel and fenced.I was very impressed with the cleanliness of the park and the amenities, the restrooms were very well kept and the park manager was gracious. They have a water fall and several trails leading dow to a well stocked pond. My grandson caughed dinner…yum. I thoroughly enjoyed our stay and plan to go back.

Nice Lake side camp site

We stayed at the campground over the 2020 Labor day week. It was a nice site. Bath houses were decent. Water was located through out the campgrounds. We stayed in the back loop which is more level. Note you do not need to pay the day use fee if you are camping. The camp host actually retrieved our money we put in the envelope when i mentioned it during check in. The trails in the area have been impacted by several storms in the last few years and many of them are blocked by fallen trees.

Wonderful Lake Lanier

This is a wonderful easy access multi sited campground. Boat ramps and lots of trees. Good beaches and lots of room in between sites.

Great views of Chattahoochee

Wonderful walks, good fishing most of the year. Can be heavily used at times.

Wonderful view

Park is wonderful, can be overcrowded. Surrounding area can be a bit rundown

Many trials

Fort Yargo is a bit of history for Georgia, restored cabin from 1792. Boating, hiking, camping and cabins with another area that is a private resort. Lots of room 1816 acres, 16 cabins, 6 yurts. Many tent and trailers spots. #34 has full hookups. There is a nice pavilion and a fairly new welcome center. It is easy to get to and there is playgrounds for the young ones.

5,664 acres

With that much room to move around in North Georgia there has to be something for everyone. Great clear cold water offers good trout grounds. Biking is a wonderful since a long stretch of hiking is fully paved. No day trailer parking. Dukes Creek is a destination for several fishing enthusiasts. There are cabins as well, some with hot tubs. There is a visitor center with educational programs, geocaching, picnicking. Once again this is very close to wonderful Bavarian town called Helen Georgia. You will love it.

Fly Fishing Fun

Unicoi has many wonderful full hook up sites. Sites 23-29 are wonderful. There is 1,050 acres to hike, fish, camp and relax. Nestled in pristine North Georgia mountains. Good for single, family or even group campers. Close to a wonderful Bavarian town know as Helen Georgia. If you like to raft or kaiak this can be accessed very close to Helen. There are also 29 cottages for you to rent if that is your thing.