The best EQUESTRIAN camping near
Midland , COLORADO

Most Recent Midland Camping Reviews
Best State Park I've been in

Now… I'm originally from Louisiana, and I now live in Texas, so my standards aren't very high, lol, but the restrooms were impeccable… Clean, smelled clean, and well maintained. The pit toilets we're even moderately comfortable, but I admittedly drove down to the comfort station bathroom twice in the night. It's far enough away from everything while still allowing you to drive to a pizza parlor in town for a nice dinner and a beer.

Perfect grounds for City plus nature

I typically rate campgrounds as they fit into 1 of 5 categories. This campground will be rated as a Regional/Public Park — Grounds that are on public lands, and have a cost for entry and/or overnight stay. Ratings for this category are based on: Cost: 5 Allure of the park/lands: 4 Amenities as available (bathrooms, showers, hookups, etc): 5 Layout and privacy of sites: 5

We absolutely loved this park. The campground recently got an update and so the visitor center and layout are new & improved. It’s a huge park with 4 separate camping areas. We stayed in Loop A with full hookups, about 1/4 mile from the marina. Privacy was excellent, barely visible to the neighbors on the next road and far enough separated from out NextDoor neighbors (at least 100’). The grounds are level and paved and include a nice gravel picnic area and fire pit. We didn’t use any facilities, but they dotted the entire campgrounds.

It’s worth noting that in addition to the $30/night fee (for FHU) you must also pay $10/day for a park pass or otherwise pay $80 for an annual, which we opted for.

Staff was very friendly. Access to walking and biking trails was awesome and we got on the lake for some swimming and SUP’ing too. The swim “beach” is quite rocky… basically broken dirt clumps, but it made do for the afternoon. 30 min to Downtown Denver and 50 min to Boulder.

Exceptional Fall Scenery

Wonderful walk-in tent camping site in the Turkey Meadow loop. Could view the Aspen trees in full color with Pikes Peak in the background. Peaceful and relatively private the week I was there.

Nice and Clean

Overall great campground with nice spacing between sites. WiFi is free but super slow.

Accommodating and Friendly Staff

This RV site was quaint with a fantastic location, but the store and the bathrooms were closed and we never could find the dumpster! Our view was incredible! Make sure to visit the Dunes and Pagosa Falls (2 miles away).

Great Military Community

I live in the area and like to get away in TMee (our LTV UFX) on the weekends. Unfortunately, I had some electrical issues and two retired 4Ns (medics) came by to help me diagnose the issue. While the patient remained on life support, we had a great time discussing our Leisure Travel Vans and the beauty of the RV life. The area has nice spots, plenty of space between each site, lots of space to walk, run, play. Maggie and I had an incredible time despite the electrical issues my TMee had.

A perfectly adequate place to reload before your next adventure

This KOA journey has a friendly and helpful staff, and offers all of the bare essentials so you can get ready for your next stop. The campground is 8 miles from Cañon City and 4 miles from Royal Gorge.

Sites are a mix of dirt and gravel and as with much of the desert, you should expect it to be very dusty. Our site was very close to our neighbor and in combination with the high winds during our visit, we didn’t spend much time outside. Full hookups are conveniently located and offer water/sewer and 30/50amp service.

The campground has propane refills available on site. The staff was kind enough to let us drop off our tanks and they brought them back to us once someone was available to fill them. The laundry is open 24 hours. There are (4) washers and (4) dryers available at a cost of $2 per load. There is no change machine, so bring your own quarters or stop in the office and the staff can help you with exchanging some small bills.

Great camping just outside the sand dunes

Plenty of spaces when we arrived. Few RV sites that had full hookups and then gravel road to a lot more primitive spots rocky but nice. Great views in the mountains and can see the Great Sand Dunes. Two bars version service.

Absolutely Wonderful

This is less than thirty minutes from my house, but feels like a world away. Spots are close but private and paved pads make leveling easy. Most sites are pull through along the road and include electric. Back in sites are also available. The campground was full even with the snow and cold in early September. There are very few undesirable spots within the grounds, and the group sites are exceptional.

Vault and flush toilets are available at various locations through the campground, and there is a self-service dump station available at the front of the campground. We did run into the issue of people dumping buckets of waste in the dump station and not washing everything down, so look before you step.

Tent pads are large platforms filled with pea gravel, and include well maintained picnic tables and fire rings. The grounds and campsites are beautifully maintained and wonderful views of the surrounding mountains are plentiful.

Watch out for wildlife and be sure to read restrictions and rules on the maps provided at the gate - use and closures change seasonally.

Great place to spend a day or 2

We stopped here on a last minute reservation.. staff helped us from start to finish to make our stay a good one.. Our site had a patio and lawn furniture.. plenty of space. Royal Gorge is a fun attraction and if you venture out there are other attractions during season. We did drive the Skyline Drive road.. kinda fun. The Covid scare had a lot of normal activities muted but I suspect next year will be back to full activities in the area. The store is well stocked and the showers are very clean. Propane on site if needed