The best EQUESTRIAN camping near
Florissant , COLORADO

Most Recent Florissant Camping Reviews
Lots of options

There are extensive sites in the area for all sizes of rigs.  There is plenty of room and easy access for large rigs or tent camping.  FR 272 is the main road in but there are several spur roads, 273 and 274 that have plenty of options also.  One problem is that this area is well known and is becoming very popular.  On weekends, there may be more than 50 campers in the area.

Because of the overuse some sites are getting, the forest service is starting to fence some sites in so they don't grow in size.  The are working towards camping in designated sites only because so many campers are just trashing the area.

The hiking is good with several trailheads and easy access to the Colorado Trail.

Best State Park I've been in

Now… I'm originally from Louisiana, and I now live in Texas, so my standards aren't very high, lol, but the restrooms were impeccable… Clean, smelled clean, and well maintained. The pit toilets we're even moderately comfortable, but I admittedly drove down to the comfort station bathroom twice in the night. It's far enough away from everything while still allowing you to drive to a pizza parlor in town for a nice dinner and a beer.

Does the Trick

The first spots you'll find will be filled with massive RVs and big rigs and large groups looking for a party in the forest since it is so easy to get to. If you want to push on further, take the road to the left and keep going just past the Browns Creek Trailhead and over the creek. It gets quieter and prettier (and a little harder to get to). Great MTB rides near here and quick into Buena Vista and Salida.

Perfect grounds for City plus nature

I typically rate campgrounds as they fit into 1 of 5 categories. This campground will be rated as a Regional/Public Park — Grounds that are on public lands, and have a cost for entry and/or overnight stay. Ratings for this category are based on: Cost: 5 Allure of the park/lands: 4 Amenities as available (bathrooms, showers, hookups, etc): 5 Layout and privacy of sites: 5

We absolutely loved this park. The campground recently got an update and so the visitor center and layout are new & improved. It’s a huge park with 4 separate camping areas. We stayed in Loop A with full hookups, about 1/4 mile from the marina. Privacy was excellent, barely visible to the neighbors on the next road and far enough separated from out NextDoor neighbors (at least 100’). The grounds are level and paved and include a nice gravel picnic area and fire pit. We didn’t use any facilities, but they dotted the entire campgrounds.

It’s worth noting that in addition to the $30/night fee (for FHU) you must also pay $10/day for a park pass or otherwise pay $80 for an annual, which we opted for.

Staff was very friendly. Access to walking and biking trails was awesome and we got on the lake for some swimming and SUP’ing too. The swim “beach” is quite rocky… basically broken dirt clumps, but it made do for the afternoon. 30 min to Downtown Denver and 50 min to Boulder.

Exceptional Fall Scenery

Wonderful walk-in tent camping site in the Turkey Meadow loop. Could view the Aspen trees in full color with Pikes Peak in the background. Peaceful and relatively private the week I was there.

Nice and Clean

Overall great campground with nice spacing between sites. WiFi is free but super slow.

Accommodating and Friendly Staff

This RV site was quaint with a fantastic location, but the store and the bathrooms were closed and we never could find the dumpster! Our view was incredible! Make sure to visit the Dunes and Pagosa Falls (2 miles away).

Great Military Community

I live in the area and like to get away in TMee (our LTV UFX) on the weekends. Unfortunately, I had some electrical issues and two retired 4Ns (medics) came by to help me diagnose the issue. While the patient remained on life support, we had a great time discussing our Leisure Travel Vans and the beauty of the RV life. The area has nice spots, plenty of space between each site, lots of space to walk, run, play. Maggie and I had an incredible time despite the electrical issues my TMee had.

A perfectly adequate place to reload before your next adventure

This KOA journey has a friendly and helpful staff, and offers all of the bare essentials so you can get ready for your next stop. The campground is 8 miles from Cañon City and 4 miles from Royal Gorge.

Sites are a mix of dirt and gravel and as with much of the desert, you should expect it to be very dusty. Our site was very close to our neighbor and in combination with the high winds during our visit, we didn’t spend much time outside. Full hookups are conveniently located and offer water/sewer and 30/50amp service.

The campground has propane refills available on site. The staff was kind enough to let us drop off our tanks and they brought them back to us once someone was available to fill them. The laundry is open 24 hours. There are (4) washers and (4) dryers available at a cost of $2 per load. There is no change machine, so bring your own quarters or stop in the office and the staff can help you with exchanging some small bills.

Great camping just outside the sand dunes

Plenty of spaces when we arrived. Few RV sites that had full hookups and then gravel road to a lot more primitive spots rocky but nice. Great views in the mountains and can see the Great Sand Dunes. Two bars version service.