the dyrt
National Park Service
Sky Campground is located in Point Reyes National Seashore in California
5 Reviews of Sky Campground
beautiful place to camp

an easy/moderate short hike in (mile or so) from the parking lot. NOT car camping. beautiful trees and views. trails take you to the shore or around point reyes. would not reccemend the fire road trail. it was crazy overgrown with poison oak . Picnic table but no fires.

Great hike in campsite, but watch out for poison oak

I did the Point Reyes sky trail hike in to sky camp, stayed the night, and then hiked the loop around coastal trail and back to the visitor center. It was to test out my new backpacking gear before going on other trips like Echo Lake/Lake Aloha in the Desolation Wilderness. It was great for a shakedown trip, because the hiking was strenuous in spots but not terrible, and the campsite had water and toilets and other people but not as on top of each other as car camping spots. I did however get bad poison oak and I think since I was careful with ivy block before my actual hikes, I picked this up at the actual campsite. Which is annoying since it seemed mostly clear, so I didn’t look closely enough I guess. Lots of different terrain and views over the two days made up for it, and I’d go again and bring my kid next time.

walk-in or backpack here

I stayed at this campground for 1 night during a 3-night backpacking loop in Point Reyes. Our campsite itself didn't have a great view (I've heard #10 and #11 are the best views, can see the ocean), but from other parts of the campground we could still see the ocean. After setting up our camp we aimed to do a short hike up to the top of Mt. Wittenberg, "the highest point in Pt. Reyes," but it think it is really just a hill because we were stumped trying to find an actual "summit."

Although I didn't do this, it's only a 1.5 mile hike in from the parking lots so it's great for beginners or kids.

Great easy camping for beginner campers

Easy access just over one mile from parking. From the camp site it is a good couple of miles to the beach, about six I believe. Some of the hiking is a little steep but nothing to challenging. Worth going to since most the lovely views are not in the campsite exactly but along the many trails nearby! If possible get campsite #6 it is ideal!

Make sure to make reservations since during camping season there is a incredible amount of booking and they run out!

On the Side of a Mountain...

The hike in camp is only a 1.3 ish mile hike and it was awesome. The campsite is literally on the side of a mountain and you're overlooking the SF Bay (at least the most West part of it)

You check in with the ranger, get your camping permit, then park at the trailhead, and the campsite awaits…Super spacious, gorgeous views, and really nice people await your arrival.

They have charcoal grills and food lockers but we set up a camp stove and prepared some meals for the night. We stupidly left our trash bag outside overnight and some racoons/squirrels opened it up, but that wasn't a buzzkill on a basically perfect trip. This was my first "backpacking" trip so I was nervous that I had forgotten something, but once we got to camp, between the 4 of us we had plenty to have a good time.