Stanislaus National Forest, CALIFORNIA
Most Recent Stanislaus National Forest Camping Reviews
Camp 4

This first come first serve campsite is at the base of upper Yosemite falls trail. The scenery you get from staying here is truly bliss, the way the mountains look around you are so picturesque that it is truly art alive. Being there really gave me perspective on how truly amazing our planet is. The campsite is in between a grove or trees and so it’s shaded from the heat. There’s bus stops that take you all through the valley and a valley loop trail if you desire the more scenic route. The best campsite experience!!

Good alternative to national park camping

We stayed here in May 2019 in a car with a roof top tent (tepui). Since it was early in the season the campground was pretty empty. The sites by the river are nice for the river noise to fall asleep too, but as we later found out they also flood when it rains. Overall, I think this is a good alternative if you can't get any camping in the park. Pros:

• Available when Yosemite National Park isn't
  • Close to the park
  • Has wifi and hot showers Cons:
  • Expensive
  • Bathrooms could use some work
Sierra Campground

Sierra Campground off the beatin path. Full hook ups in summer. Closed in winter. Tall pines block satellite feeds. Spotty Cell service. Daily, weekly, monthly rates. Lots of trees dropped due to bark beetle. Pool, group camping, ball fields, disc golf

Fairgrounds camping

Grassy full hook up sites in Sonora Ca. At the junction of Hwy49  the “Chain of Gold” and 108 outside Yosemite National Park. Daily/weekly rates. Short walk to downtown in this 1850’s mining town.

Dirtbikes welcome

I've been here many times with just my truck and there are a few offroad 4xr trails near this camp spot. But I have seen alot of people with OHV venturing off into the woods.

Close to civilization yet secluded enough to feel like camping

Just a short drive from Sacramento up the hill. The front half of the lake is sometimes quite close quarters full of large RVs and campers. Large day use areas for a quick boat around the lake and fishing. The real gems are further back into the campground where if you plan it right you can talk to nobody except your camp host. The small portion of the lake with no wake is ideal for kayaking, canoeing and fishing has been good to excellent near the water fall. A nice easy hike will take you around the entire lake if you let it.

Middle of Yosemite Valley

Beautiful campground within walking distance to multiple waterfall hiking trails. Close to the village. Right in the middle of the valley. Be aware of the time of year if you stay here, traffic in the valley can be nasty. And it may not be fun after a day of hiking to have to drive back into the valley

Perfect for the weekend getaway

Perfect campground to get away for the weekend. Almost every time I have been here we see lots of deer. Nice hiking trails, beautiful scenery.

Stayed in the basic cabins and loved it!

2 adults and 1 kid in the basic cabin over Easter weekend a few years ago. We really enjoyed our stay and the property. Petting zoo animals were adorable. Nice location to Yosemite. Friendly interactions with staff.

We call this place our church

My wife and daughter and I have come here for the past ten years. We love it. The river is beautiful and loud and the fishing is great. Some nice swimming holes too.

There’s men’s and women’s showers toward the entrance which was the only way I could sell the place to my wife.

It’s run by members of the local Miwuk tribe. Charlie kept the place immaculate and is a really nice guy. BUT…Last time I went, (2017?) he was replaced by a guy who looked and acted pretty sketch and looked like he did a lot of meth. Not surprisingly, the showers were filthy.

That aside, the area is stunning, the swimming is fun and I’ve taken a few trout out of the river.

Classic Yosemite Camping

Close to Happy Isles and Mirror Lake/Meadow, this campground is convenient for day hikers. it's one of the better spots in Yosemite Valley, somewhat off the beaten path, so to speak. Access to the Merced river is also close-by, so you can cool off after a long day of hiking. It's no secret that this is a high-use high-traffic area, but braving the crowds is worth it to spend a few days and nights under the Yosemite sky.

Its Yosemite!

Ggreat site tucked away on Northside. Can get busy.

Awesome campground and staff.

Great location, very close the park. The river was beautiful. We weren’t lucky enough to catch anything but our neighbors caught three trout. We happened to be there for Cinco De Mayo and they had a cute party with a food truck (it was yummy) and a piñata for the kids. We had a great week here and Yosemite is epic!!!

“Glamping” in a magical place

Yosemite Valley is pure magic and Half Dome Village is no exception. It’s definitely more “glamping” than camping and the tents feel like cabins and are very close together. Bathrooms are nice and there’s a store, bar, cafeteria, coffee shop and pizza place to take care of your needs. It does have a bit of a party atmosphere at night as folks from other campgrounds gather at the bar/pizza spot but the tent area was pretty quiet (save for me hearing someone peeing outside my tent one night…). Dark at night, bring a headlamp or flashlight.

Biggest complaint is the price. Location can’t be beat but it’s so expensive for canvas tents that aren’t super clean and are smushed together. I love Half Dome Village but next time will probably camp elsewhere and shuttle in for pizza and beer.

The Valley is good, if you don't know where else to camp.

If you are a new camper, that likes to be around a lot of people, any of the Valley campgrounds are great. For me, it is way too busy. I want to get out of the city, and with the amount of people I felt claustrophobic.

With that said, Yosemite is one of the most majestic places on the planet, and I don't care where you camp, just go! Each site has a bear box, please be sure to use it, you will encounter numerous wildlife while you are here, and they all want your food! They also come with fire pits and picnic tables.

I didnt spend alot of time at my campground due to the fact that the valley has numerous hiking trails, so many waterfalls, lectures nightly on different environmental topics.

Be sure to reserve your site well in advance. Spring is best time to go, but seriously, just go!

Peaceful. Quiet. Beautiful.

Every time I go to Yosemite, I stay at Diamond O. All of the camphosts through the years have been amazing. This is north of Yosemite Valley. Away from the hustle. It's got a great river/creek going through it and several smaller waterfalls and swimming holes nearby. Clean bathrooms, clean grounds. You will want to keep your eye out for wildlife. I even woke one morning to cows in our campsite!

Incredible Experience

Running water and out houses at this beautiful campground along the river. Many trails start here and there is a brand new foot bridge right at the campground to help you cross the river.

Owner is great

Ferral cat problem!!! Dont leave anything out! Deer and cats get into everything! And cats pee on everything!

Great location for first timers

It was our first time camping and had no clue what we were doing. Many people around helped us out and access to a variety of trails, lodging, resources around

Easy Gateway to Yosemite

This campground is a 45 minute bus ride from Yosemite Village. I sent an email the day before to check availability but didn’t get a response. I called the day-of and was excited to find they had a space with hookups, despite it being spring break week. Maybe the predictions for snow in Yosemite kept the crowds away? There were three amenities at this campground that were a pleasant surprise:

1) The YART bus (that shuttles you into the park) stops at the hotel next door. It doesn’t run frequently, and we had to catch it really early (7 am), but it was $20 for a family of four (round trip), and that included admission to the park. It was so easy to leave the RV parked, not worry about driving in and parking, having no concern about snow/chains/etc.

2) The Cedar Lodge next door has an indoor and outdoor pool available for the RV campers to use. The outdoor pool was closed for the season, but the indoor pool was heated to at least 100 degrees so it made our morning swimming delightful.

3) The Cedar Lodge next door also has two restaurants, a bar/casual type and one slightly fancier. We ate at the casual one and it wasn’t great, but it was nice to have someone else make dinner after a long day in the park.

The folks checking us in the office were very nice and helpful. The campground has four unisex bathrooms that weren’t fancy, but functioned. There were a handful of shower stalls as well. The one I used had amazing water pressure and plenty of hot water.

We were worried about the proximity to the road, but there were almost no cars on the road for most of the night. There is no cell service in the area. The campground does offer 24 hours of WiFi for $9.99. We didn’t purchase, so I’m not sure how strong/fast the signal was.

Overall, we had a great stay!

Incredible on all accounts!

The fields and trails that are near this campground are phenomenal. It's a short (but steep) hike down to the Giant Sequoia Grove. The bathrooms are not maintains outside of the season and watch out for black widows in the corners of the bathrooms.

There are yurts and information stations about the fields and local flora and fauna! The rangers are incredibly helpful and sweet!

Gorgeous

Very family friendly with stunning views

beautiful and somewhat remote

Backcountry camping with several swimming spots, decent fishing and meals and hot showers! If you feel rich, this is a place for a big treat. Tent cabins with basic sleeping set up and a nice spot to sit around a group fire. The ranger talks can be a little much but easy to sneak off and enjoy the quiet. Food is fantastic and the folks who work there are super friendly. A nice loop is to walk in via Tenaya Lake, pass through the Mansfields and over to Merced Lake - a very doable 15 mile one day. Exit out through Happy Isles - about the same distance.

Super RV Park

I would stay here again and again. The tent sites have a large covered area for shade and the park has a pool for a refreshing little swim. Showers are included with the campground fee.

Beautiful springs

Great little hotsprings in a relatively accessible spot. They are situated right by the creek and I loved how quiet and unused the area is. The canyon can get chilly (esp. in winter months) just get from your campfire to the springs to your tent quickly.

Backpacking to half dome

One of the nicest backpacking campgrounds. Nice bathrooms and right next to a clean blue river perfect for swimming in! Surrounded by granite rocks in one of the most wonderful place Yosemite

No one around

Rolled in with no reservations and not a clue as to camp for the night in my van. All campgrounds were closed but I found a little spot to park for the night right on the lake. Set up camp, did some fishing and cooked up dinner. My best friend and I fished this lake 30 years ago…Good memories

glamping but with none of the perks

This place is good for giving non-campers a little taste of living in a canvas tent. It's not great if you are into camping and want to spend time in nature. The tent cabins are really close together so you def hear your neighbors domestic disputes, snoring etc. Walking around the area in the evening it is pretty magical feeling. +1 to whoever said to bring earplugs. Overall it does feel like a special place, and if I didn't love camping this would seem pretty sweet. Pizza place is always slammed do good for people watching. Support your local dirtbags and offer the climbers your leftovers :)

Really nice group of campgrounds

Beautiful and serene campground with a good size creek running through it. Bear boxes and toilets available. Great spot with lots of privacy.

Ok spot

Not a great campsite, but not the worst. Vault toilet, bear boxes, but little cover from weather. Have to pay attention due to the elevation