the dyrt
King Range National Conservation Area, CALIFORNIA
Most Recent King Range National Conservation Area Camping Reviews
Nestled in the Redwoods

An authentic redwoods campground. Many different loops in the park and we found a great large site with no neighbours so extremely quiet and private but a short little walk to the washroom

In the Heart of the Redwoods

We're motorcycle campers and this is one of our favourites. It is a good 25 minute drive each way to Myers Flat for provisions so stop on the way. Last time we were there the road in was all broken up but I hear that it has been re-paved in the summer of 2018.

Glass beach trip

Close proximity to glass beach and fort brag. Stayed here for one night had some mosquitos but nothing spray couldn’t stop. Was a bit rainy and overcast the whole night but still a really enjoyable trip. Bathrooms were clean

This campground is nestled in the Humboldt redwoods.

Grest campground for families. Has an old apple orchard that bears frequently forage. A beautiful and quiet park.

Breath taking campground in the avenue of the giants

My partner and I stayed at the Burlington campground in Humboldt Redwoods State Park in March and could not have had a better experience. We were able to get a first come first serve site without much difficulty (we were very concerned about this as we were driving up from San Francisco). Our site was nestled amongst historic, giant redwoods in the heart of the avenue of giants. The site its self was clean and came with a fire pit, picnic table, and bear locker. Staff was helpful and accommodating. There are several breathtaking trails that connect to the campground and others close by car. We can't wait to go back!

Humboldt Redwoods SP - Hidden Springs Campground

I have stayed at site 26 at the Hidden Springs Campground in Humboldt Redwoods State Park twice. For my first stay I chose site 26 on a whim, using the campground map and online campsite photos to try to find a secluded spot. Secluded it is! There is a paved space to park above the campsite, and a narrow little path leading down into the site - maybe 10-15 yards, it’s not far at all. The site is completely surrounded by redwoods, and you cannot see the neighboring sites at all - it’s perfect for me. This seems to be true of many other sites in the campground, though some are more open.

The site has a picnic table, a wooden bin/food locker to store things in, and a fire ring with a grate (we always travel with a small collapsable grate, but appreciate when the fire ring has the real thing). The bathrooms were clean and plumbed, and the facility had nice, clean, hot, coin-operated showers. The ranger kiosk sells wood.

The redwoods in the area are simply stunning - the views from Highway 101 and the Avenue of the Giants are beautiful. There are a bunch of different hiking trails around the campground area, and the Eel river is right next to the campground.

It was extremely hot and humid the last time we visited, and the mosquitos were AWFUL. I’ve never had so many bites in my life, but that’s mother nature for you. The temperature will drop off later in the evening, making it more pleasant for sleep.

If you love the redwoods, you shouldn’t be disappointed, the campground is beautiful!

CAMPSITE SPECS

Cooking Grates: Yes

Shade: Yes

Cell Service: No

Tall trees & good fishing

Great place to stay on your way up the coast or for a vacation in itself. The campsites are surrounded by beautiful tall trees, that block the nearby road noise. The hike down to the river isn’t bad but can be tiring coming back up at the end of the day. Cars allowed but not trailers to make it easier. My wife caught a nice trout for dinner. Would recommend and return.

J and E

Abalone Point - Hidden Gem - Amazing Views

There appears to be a couple of separate campgrounds… the one I camped at is called Abalone Point.  I was unsure if it was open because there was nobody around and an old road was falling into the ocean.  Primitive campground with no showers or camp host. There was a toilet (hole in the ground), a table, and water.  What you do get is peace and quiet and an amazing view of the ocean. Self payment and was $3 for hike and bike.

Beautiful Coastal Campground

This is a large spread out campground with nice hiking paths near the beach. Good coastal marine viewing area and close to Ft. Bragg. Hike and bike area is small and across from one of the camp hosts who was very friendly and offered wine, watermellon, and her campfire.

Conveniently Placed on the Avenue of Giants

I ended up here because the Hidden Springs Campground down the road was closed. The highlight of the Burlington campground is that it's right by the Visitors Center so you have easy access to the wifi, free coffee in the morning, and lots of educational opportunities. In fact, I even had wifi access at my campsite. The campground was almost full when I arrived without a reservation around dinner time mid-September.

The campground and most of the campsites are pretty close to the main Avenue of the Giants road so if you're a light sleeper this may be an issue. The campsites are large and spacious but there isn't much privacy between them as the undergrowth is largely absent. There are showers, flush toilets, plenty of water spigots, and tables and bear lockers in each site. Unfortunately my site was pretty far from the facilities and there didn't seem to be a direct way to access them without going through others' campsites or walking way around on the road.

There are also really wonderful looking hiker-biker sites. The entire area is incredible and if you have time, take a slow drive through the trees. Ask the rangers for good local hikes and take lots of stops along the turnouts. I definitely do not regret taking the Avenue of the Giants rather than the faster 101.

Good Option Along Avenue of the Giants

great

redwoods, redwoods

Campground Cove by the Ocean

A pay by the day and rangers will enforce. Dress in layers. Nestled in with large pieces of driftwood trees acting as berms between your campsite and the beach sand. Short walk to the ocean or mouth of the Mattole River. Seismic area, so the sand on the river is never the same if you go more than once a year. Bathrooms near the campground. No showers. No electricity. The starting point to hike the Lost Coast.

Quiet but loud with beauty

Went in April of 2018, very quiet campground. Nestled near many activities such as hiking and fishing on the eel. Short drive to grocery stores or Lost Coast Brewery in Eureka.

Simple, Secluded, Cliffside

Shelter Cove campground is in Shelter Cove CA. It is a small campsite in a small town write on the cliffs of the Pacific Ocean. It is not particularly well-maintained, but it was perfect for someone like me who just wants a place to put a tent or RV and enjoy the cool air and rocky beach. There is even a rock where seals chill and sunbathe. It was not too expensive for each night and dogs are allowed, but there is a one dollar charge for each night spent.

It is a great way to escape the warm summers because it is a lot colder than inland due to the closeness to the sea. It is also nearby the famous Black Sands Beach. It is in pretty close proximity to Humboldt National Forest and The Avenue of the Giants. It can be used as a simple, cheap base camp if you are planning to do the three day Lost Coast Trail. I loved staying here for a few days. There is also a cool lighthouse you can check out and get some history on it. Every night and morning I spent time overlooking the water on top of the cliffs. There is a picnic table you can use.

Camping right on the beach

You can camp right on the beach or just steps away. It was really crowded when we went but we still enjoyed our trip. You can walk to the beach from your campsite and watch the sun set. The people are great and there is everything you need.

Camping at the Ocean

This is a relatively small campground and fills up quickly during the summer so my advice is to get there early to be able to secure a campsite. What can I say? It's all about camping by the ocean! Be prepared for weather changes and cooler weather,it can change rapidly. Be prepared to be lulled to sleep by the sound of the waves crashing against the shore!

Absolutely a must!

Omgosh, I can't enough about this campground! The actual campsite was huge! It was beautiful, nicest camp host/rangers, gigantic trees all around, dogs, families, handicap sites, clean bathrooms with hot water, big visitor center, daily planned activities, so many great hiking trails, and the best part is: COFFEE at the visitor center! You don't have to brew your own! It's not Starbucks, but if I can get my coffee, a couple of granola bars and get going in the morning without taking out a cooking utensil, it's a world of diffence. It's one of the nicest campgrounds we've been to, and we love camping, so there's many to compare to. I actually locked my keys in my car and the ranger drove me from the trail head back to the campground to get in touch with AAA and took my husband and my daughter to get her hiking badge while I waited to someone to help get my keys out. That's what I call service! I have to go back! So worth it, it's a must.. :-)

Just off the Avenue of Giants

We stayed here once while driving through the red wood forest along the Avenue of Giants. It is very close to the drive-thru tree in Meyers Flat. That one have a park and play houses made out of redwood trees that my daughters love.

Myers Flat is a weird little town. This was a good place to stop, however I’d probably look into the State Park nearby if we stay near Myers Flat again. The tent site was $40 because the was three of us. It’s $35 per night for a tent site up to two people and $5 per night for each additional person.

The tent sites are right along the Eel River. It’s very pretty. There was a dish washing station, bathrooms with showers, a little store and playground. The campground is gated and locks up at night. The staff was friendly.

Glorified parking lot with transients and rude neighbors

I stayed at this campsite twice two years ago. The first time was in the spring (April) with my daughters and the second time was in August that year. This is not a campsite per se, but rather a parking lot in which you chose a parking spot directly next to someone else and if you have a tent pitch it directly behind your car in the scraggly grass and sand sticker plants. There is zero privacy or distance between campers.

The fee is $20 per night. The bathrooms are disgusting. The best thing about them was a family of nesting birds above the door to the ladies restroom. We were able to watch the babies for a while which was fun, but there is also the chance that you’ll be pooped on while entering or leaving the bathroom.

The first time was just okay. We camped inside the back of my Toyota Highlander amongst mostly RVs, most of which left their loud generators and bright outside lights on long after quiet hours. I finally had to knock on our neighbors R.V. door to ask them to turn out the outside light which was shining directly into our car.

This wasn’t terrible and was completely outshone by a half day spent on the beach in the dune area. Locals surfed as families. The community seemed so tight knit and inviting. We left deciding that we’d definitely come back to spend a day on the beach later in the summer. Also, the local Samoa Cookhouse is nearby with family style breakfast, lunch and dinner served. It is a historic site and museum that used to serve the loggers in the area the food and service is awesome and has become a much looked forward to stop on our road trips to California.

When we came back we came with my husband, choosing to camp at the boat launch area again because of its proximity to the beach. The late summer campers were a very different crowd. Mostly they seemed transient. There was garbage everywhere. Beer bottles, wild pets - even an actual pig, run down RVs that were clearly full time housing for large, loud families filled the parking lot. There was loud partying far into the night.

I had my daughters car camp and locked them in while my husband and I slept in a tent behind the car. We kept being woken by a loud noise that I couldn’t identify. I thought it sounded like a bear, then maybe a plastic barrel being pulled across the concrete. Eventually - after very little sleep - we discovered it was our neighbor who had some sort of terrible sleep disorder. It was bizarre. After he woke in the morning he proceeded to urinate in from of my daughters onto the water spigot rather than in the restroom which was 50 feet away. My husband was horrified and asked what would ever possess me to bring him there. Lets just say that the beach was not reason enough.

I would not stay here again. I did not feel safe or that this was a sanitary. The price seems to attract people who are not camping so much as homeless. The bathrooms don’t get serviced often and even if they did I’m sure they’d be trashed in a matter of hours.

Amazing!

Great campground located right on the Pacific Ocean. Campground is well kept with privacy in some locations. Added bonus is easy to get groceries in Fort Bragg. You could relax here for a week!

nice location but don’t believe the Good Sam rating

the campground was nice except for the bathrooms which were dirty no matter what time of day. not sure how they got a 10 on Good Sam

Lovely

A great compground in the old growth forest of the Redwoods. Flush toilets, pottable water, coin showers. Only 12 miles from 101 on 36

Dusry and mucky beach, but the water makes up for it

The water in the reservoir is beautiful. You should definitely have a boat if you stay in this Campground. It's Shangri-La.

The Avenue of the Giants is one of my favorite places in the whole world. Burlington camp ground is basically right in the middle. It's right next to the ranger station/visitor center and just a few minutes away from Miranda, where you can pick up some last minute supplies. The biggest problem I have with this campground is that it's situated right next to the main road, so there a lot of traffic moving through. It's a slow speed limit, so it's not super loud or anything, but it does break the serenity a bit. The rangers are very knowledgeable, which is great if you're looking for things to do/places to see on you're trip. If you forget your firewood, you can pick some up at the ranger station. Each site is provided with a fire pit and bear box. You definitly want to use the near boxes, it's not uncommon to spot a bear while in the Avenue.

Surprisingly perfect

We've staid here several years in a row now, and we always book the same site. Most of the sites under the trees are a bit close, but there are a few along the outside off the lower loop that open out to this amazing valley. Each year something big has happened. One year we had a (roughly) two year old bear about 60 feet from our camp, just hanging out in the apple tree, eatting apples. This year there was a star gazing party and and astronomy club brought high powered telescopes and showed us all several beautiful things in the sky. The bathrooms are well maintained too, which is always a plus. This is currently my favorite camp ground.

Beautiful wooded slice if heaven

The camp sites felt a little close together, but the grounds as a whole were beautiful. Warning for and campers with disabilities, even a lot if the handicap sites are very steep and rugged to get from your vehicle to the actual site, so just be careful.

Beautiful!

Dark forest covered campsites with some privacy. We usually camp off season and this has kept campsites on the quiet side at night.

Beach at your doorstep!

Close to beach but also just outside of town. Cook over a fire or eat at a restaurant, your choice. Fun tide pools.