King Range National Conservation Area, CALIFORNIA

Camping California King Range National Conservation Area
Most Recent King Range National Conservation Area Camping Reviews
Nice campgrounds near a rocky beach with seals

When the other reviews say the road in sucks, they don't explain why. The road is about 10 miles of steep switchbacks on a narrow poorly maintained road. It is not a fun ride (unless you're on a motorcycle perhaps), but once you get there it's worth it.

We enjoyed our stay here, you get a great view of sensets and can walk down to the cliffside to checkout the seals or take the staircase all the way down for a closer view or check out the tide pools. The locals are really friendly, the deli has good food plus snacks and beer/wine. They had karaoke during our stay, but they sadly announced this will not be a thing in the future.

Incredibly friendly camp hosts and LOTS of space

Talk about secluded. Even though you are so close to town this is off the beaten path and you can’t even get into this campground unless you have a reservation. The front building shows all the sites available and even has maps ready for pick up when you arrive to the campground.

There is a shower house and Laundry building in the center of the campground.

Sites are a bit tight together but have adequate privacy utilizing trees and shrubs.

The loops are well laid out but would be tight for a longer RV to come into.

Ideal for couples since tent camping is $35 per night for 2 people, and extra adult is $17.50. And $1 per pet per night.

Excellent for Rv campers, cramped for tents

The entrance to this campground is behind a store so it technically is hidden.

What it lacks in privacy of sites it definitely makes up for in amenities. There are firewood bundles stacked up alongside the store for pick up. There is a pool and shower room open from 10 am to 10 pm.

The tent sites are right along a fence without much privacy. I would suggest this place for RV camping over tent camping.

There are showerhouses and bathrooms in the middle of the campground with a fish cleaning station.

It’s an expensive campground $45-69 per night depending on where you want to be.

Loud and Jam packed with people

At $30 per night for a tent, this campground is a bit intense.

This is a drive up site. The online source for it is outdated but the site is a good place to stop if you just need a space for the night.

It is a combo trailer park, RV sites, and Tents sites so the navigation might be a little tricky in parts. There are power sites and water sources placed around the area.

There is a bath house in the middle of the park but if you are camped in the tent sites, it is pretty far away.

There are a couple porta potties set up that are closer to the tent sites.

Cash or check only here. No cards taken.

Make sure you check the pet rules too, they are very strict on them. We were lucky enough to not have our dogs with us this trip.

The sites are pretty secluded by shrubs so you do get a sense of privacy in places. The turns driving around might make RV camping a little tricky.

Perfectly secluded and right next to the beach.

Jughandle is a beautiful area between Mendocino and Fort Bragg. It contains excellent hiking, a beautiful beach, and even a Pygmy Redwood Forest. I booked it through Hipcamp and you could tell that was the majority of their campers.

We were able to score a site that was very secluded at the end of the road before the private property line. It was the perfect spot to set up two(or more) tents. There was a great fire ring and picnic table at the site.

A short less than a minute walk to the porta potty bathroom that is at the edge of a big field. In the field are two more sites on either side of the road and a large communal cooking area with a water source.

There is also a large fire ring with stump seats in case you want to have a gathering. The sites were pretty quiet even when they were all full and you were able to get to your site without distracting others too much.

There is a hiking path that takes you down to Jughandle Beach where you will find all kinds of tourists, animals, and great sand to play in or up to the pygmy redwood forest.

Hidden gem

This place is locally known as swimmers delight. This is another one of my favorite campgrounds. It is open year round and only cost 25 dollars with clean bathrooms and showers. There are many great campgrounds, many right on the river. If you are looking for a place to relax at the river all day this is a great place. It isn't known as swimmers delight for nothing.

Decent campground

This campground is very beautiful, located just north of Fort Bragg on the California coast. I witnessed the best sunset that I have ever seen in my life at this beach. However, I was unfortunate to get one campground with no trees or privacy. Additionally, this campground is more expensive than some other state parks and has limited things to explore. Also, the showers require more money to start, so if you run out of time during your shower you will need at least a dollar just to start it back up to finish rinsing off not like other State park showers. If you want to explore the area there are tons of other things too see… Including Fort Bragg, glass beach, the skunk train, Russian gulch, the town of Mendocino, Mendocino headlands, and a pigmy Forest

Awesome!!

Awesome place and it was right next to the ocean! Walk down to the water whenever I felt like it. Great views and lots to do!

Best place to camp!!

This is by far one of the best places to camp on the California coast! The camp spots are right on the water and it is a beautiful spot to watch the sunset! Gets chilly @ night so be prepared! 10/10 would recommend! This is by far top ten places I’ve ever camped!!

Shaded spots

Pretty nice site by small river.

Shaded, small

Smaller and closer to the hwy. But not a busy hwy. Nice access to large swimming hole. Clean, beautiful water

Beautiful, clean water. Nice sites, different swimming holes, the finest place around for rock hunting

My favorite place to be in summer, cool water, clean, quiet. Absolutely beautiful. Good choice of paid or free sites, star gazing galore. Rock hunters paradise!

Beautiful Beach

Nice beach camping spot. Trash was over flowing, but bathrooms were surprisingly clean. Trailer spots were easy to park in, very exposed area, plan it around some good weather for sure

Deep in the woods

Huge accommodating campsite. I enjoyed being nestled inside the redwoods.

Serenity!

The Avenue of the Giants Redwood Highway has always been one of my all time favorite places!

I recently camped at the Giant Redwood RV park and it didn’t disappoint!

Although it was early August, we were lucky enough to find half the campground empty and the weather was perfect!

This little gem is a short walk down to the sandy beach on the Eel River and has a few giant redwoods in the campground to marvel over!

There was electric and water hook up and a dump station only.  The campsites are gravel but there was grassy areas around us.

The owners are very nice and they have a small store there also.

My only complaints are that the street you have to drive down is not very pleasant. It had a broken trailer on the side of the road that appeared to be there a very long time, among other unpleasant sights!  Once you get through the gated area to the park, it’s lovely and you feel secure but going down that street was sad.

Although I shower in my rv, I decided to use the one there so I could avoid filling my gray water tank. It was a nice shower but there was only the one in the restroom near me. They could use a few more showers!

All and all, we loved it there and will be returning another time!

Wonderful experience

We broke down at the gate. The Rangers said they could not accommodate our 36'. The camp host (volunteer ranger John) knew we were stuck on a Friday nite. He said he would try to fit us in a spot reserved for emergencies. We fit with room to spare. Told to stay as long as we needed. He loaned me his truck to go into the nearest town to pick up supplies. He was a God Sent. The most beautiful spot to brake down in Northern California.

Wow!

Hit it on a Tuesday night. Unexpectedly awesome spot. One other group here, peaceful, beautiful, and there just so happens to be a mountain biking terrain park. Lucky find!

Good family campground

Like most of the reviews, the campsites are roomy but little privacy. The bathrooms are clean and showers are nice for people who aren't big into camping.

There are lots of old redwood stumps to explore and climb on for kids. The Gould nature hike is easy and informative with lots of interesting sites. Walk down to the river for stone skipping, wading fun. Also the river hike on the opposite side of the river was amazing, we didn't run into another hiker, so peaceful.

Also the rangers there were awesome.  Our car wouldn't start when leaving (due to leaving car doors open).  But the rangers had a battery starter pack. Saved us hours of waiting for AAA.

Amazingly beautiful!

1. Spacious campsite

2. Bathrooms clean

3. Close to visitors center

4. Close to several hiking trails

5. Sites are shaded

Ocean view and sounds

Family park, nice and quite. Tent sites to full hookups. Older park facilitys very old. Some sites have an ocean view everyone can listen to the waves at night.

Gems inside the redwoods

Camping with hotel amenities 😃

Amazing place to sleep among the Giants

Nice campground for trailers and tents with relatively large sites interspersed in the redwood trees. The shared bathrooms have showers (25¢/minute for water) and are all clean and updated. There are fire pits and picnic tables in each site. The summer charge was $35/night.

Gorgeous Old Growth Trees protecting a peaceful campground

Probably my favorite campground due to the ingenious ancient trees surrounding the entire area. Plenty of hiking super close to the campground. We visited in Winter and had nearly the entire place to ourselves. Quiet and peaceful, perfect for the entire family. Highly recommend and would stay here again

OK for tents

The spots are best suited for trailers, with little dirt area to pitch a tent. The spaces are cramped if the area is full. There are two indoor single showers and men's and women's bathrooms (two stalls in the latter) in a facility on site. $25/night. Camp host was friendly and informative.

Most peaceful serene place ever!

If I could live here year round I would. Especially winter ♥️♥️♥️

Clean & family friendly

This was the first stop on a drive from San Francisco to Seattle. The river access is pretty sweet!! We stayed in site 26 with our van, it was decent size, on the end of the row and across from the bathroom. It’s just a couple minutes walk to the river. We rolled in on a Friday evening and there were tons of spots available. There are a few big loops, some spaces had water front access but those were all snagged. The third loop was set back away from the river and very private and shaded but the highway noise seemed loud when we checked it out. This camp ground is VERY kid friendly, probably a bit more than we were after since we left our 2 kiddos out of this trip for some solo time. Bathrooms are super clean, quarter showers, I think it was $1.50 for 5 minutes. The toilet stalls have electrical outlets and mirrors too which is nice. The spots are super tight to one another so not a lot of privacy. Staff was helpful and friendly, a bundle of wood was $8. The river is very rocky! Bring your water shoes

Dank Campground

Great spot at the entry to one of my favorite backpacking spots. Camped here for a night in transit to SD from Seattle, was super remote but the drive in itself was an adventure! Loved how close to the ocean the sites were and got uber lucky with a beautiful sunset and sunrise.

Definitely come here if you’re looking for a quiet spot with rugged ocean views! Happy camping!

Stunning and sunny

Incredible area, so remote you gotta commit to it!

No water at the site but we got some on our way at the county park between Honeydew and the campground. Could probably get water in Petrolia too. Plan ahead for that!

Plan ahead for lots of sun — we camped in mid-July and had a full day of sun! The ocean water was super cold (and dangerous) but the river was just right. Nice to have options.

Most stunning was these massive cliffs that open into this wild California coast. You can hike to the (non-working) lighthouse and enjoy yourself with a driftwood fire at night. Camping on the side away from the very close by beach was smart as you get a little reprieve with some shade from the shrubs and hedges (with some wildlife running through).

Animal proof trash on site, recycling too. Toilets were fine (hand sanitizer in them!) and generally pretty quiet.

One of the best little hidden gems I’ve ever camped at.

Perfect

Best campground in Fort Bragg. Perfect little spots next to the beach. One of my favorite things here is the nature walk that goes out to the look out points. Love coming here!