the dyrt
National Park Service
Furnace Creek is located in California
24 Reviews of Furnace Creek
Clean, organized

We scheduled for the wrong night by accident. The campground was full but they gave us an auxilary spot that's saved for emergencies. The staff was excellent. Bathroom were clean but had no soap.

Clean, organized

Great stay

I rolled in and they had just happen to have an area that is normally closed, open. I was able to park with my van doors to a wonderful view of the desert landscape. Nice and quiet with lots of friendly campers. The camp hosts were wonderful

Site 56

Stay the last weekend in Oct, and the campground was completely full, so definitely book in advance. As for the campground as a whole, it is in a pretty good location. It's pretty much directly in between the Mesquite Flats Sand Dunes and Bad Water Basin. It's also directly adjacent to the visitor center with a restaurant and gas station near by. As for site 56 in general, it's probably one of the better sites. Site 56 has some of the most shade in the campground, which is hard to come by, and is also close to a water fill station and the restrooms without being so close you get all the traffic. The only complaint would be the size. It's can definitely be cramped if you have more than one tent and vehicle.

Simply magical

Decided to explore Death Valley since the weather has finally cooled off. Over two days we managed to see: the sand dunes, badwater basin, zabriskie point, ubehehe crater, and artist’s drive.

Ended up sand boarding!!!! It was so much fun!!! Definitely bring your board with you to try it out.

We camped at furnace creek campground, which was conveniently located in the middle of the things we wanted to see. They don’t take any reservations during the summer and charge $22 a night. Definitely worth it. Just make sure to check the weather before you go as it gets REALLY HOT!!!

Trees!

Best campground in Death Valley. It's still crowded and can be noisey during the day, but pretty quiet at night. Great stargazing! We were lucky enough to get a campsite with trees, provides much needed privacy and shade! Great restrooms, fire pit and table at each site. RV spots as well. Dumpsters and store nearby.

Amazing campground, spacious, beautiful at night

This is one of the best campgrounds I have stayed at. We stayed at a group site and had easy access to restrooms and a huge outdoor dishwashing sink. There was also a dumpster close to the site. Our site was surrounded by trees/brush so pretty separate from other sites. We had a bunch of picnic tables and plenty of space for our two big tents (could have easily fit a ton more). We slept outside without the tents since the weather was so mild, the breeze at night was beautiful, and it was just a little chilly, so perfect for a fire. The grounds were nice to walk around, and the sky at night was amazing. The camp store down the road had groceries, clothing, firewood, and everything else we needed during our week or so long stay here. Remember gas in death valley is crazy expensive so fuel up before you get in.

Lovely place to camp in winter

We camped in March, and the daytime weather was perfect. just make sure to bring lots of layers for nighttime.

Within walking distance of the camp are some sand dunes that are fun to run down. There’s plenty to check out in the area: hiking trails, a visitor center, nearby locations where Star Wars scenes were filmed, and a past borax mine.

This campground allows dogs as long as you keep them on a leash of 6 ft or less. Just make sure you bring a travel water bowl and paw protection. When the ground is too hot, paws can burn, and dog booties help keep paws safe. Also be careful about the coyotes, which frequent this campground.

A little oasis in the desert

We camped there in April so it was not the hottest time for Death Valley. It is a pretty big campground, but our site was more on the edge under some trees so it was perfect shady spot. Clean and nicely spaced sites. Nice and quiet most of the time. Our site was close to restrooms and a big washing/sink area so it was very noisy in the morning. It may depend on the crowd who were camping at that time as there were big groups of tourists speaking loudly early in the morning. It was a little crowded for my taste, but it was a nice campground in the middle of the desert. Visitor Center, gas station and a general store are nearby so it is convenient location and a great resting camp location after exploring the hot desert. There is so much to see at Death Valley, but make sure to check out cool places like Rhyolite ghost town.

You always know how hot is at Furnace

What can I say you are in Death Valley where the heat can get so insane you can feel it collapsing your lungs and melting your face but at this campground that can be a lot less of a problem as you are welcomed with the temperature at the visitor's center. Sure it is still hot and miserable most of the time, but what better way to embrace it than to just let it all hang out so you can see it.

I was very interested in this campground just inside of California when I was staying in Nevada over the first part of the year, it had great reviews and looked like a nice campsite. When I arrived I was not disappointed at all it was well kept, offered some shade and had nice even sites for tents or RVs alike.

Unlike my usual desire to have no amenities, I feel like staying in place like this I need a few luxuries just in case. So it was nice to find sites with electrical hook ups and potable water. The electrical hook ups made it nice for having a small fan which didn't rely on batteries which can drain quickly and that made it more than comfortable on the hot evening.

Where my tent was located the short shrubs provided a nice wind break however I did notice in some of the more open spots it can get a little blustery and we noticed several dust devils popping up across the area in the distance, very common for this region.

The campsite does accept reservations however when we were there mid week in late spring it wasn't packed so no reservation was needed.

I did notice that some of the areas were marked with heat warnings which included closure postings during certain times and warnings about temperatures after 10 a.m. I was fortunate in that it wasn't terrible just yet but already it was beginning to get that way despite it being spring. By summer I would not recommend staying here unless you were able to get inside of an RV it would be far to hot for myself in my little tent.

TIPS:

• Keep hydrated when staying here or at any of the Death Valley campgrounds.

• Obey postings of warnings, they are there for a reason!! We were listening to a ranger in the visitor center and he was telling us some statistics and it was enough to make you want to listen to everything you hear them say!!

• Fuel up before getting to 1/4 tank anytime you are entering the Death Valley or Mohave area you never know what will happen and you would rather be safe than sorry in case you are rendered stranded , at least with gas you can rely a bit on your air.