the dyrt
Alma, ARKANSAS
Most Recent Alma Camping Reviews
Worth it just for the sunrise

Some of the reviews I read suggested that you need a four wheel drive vehicle to make the drive up. Maybe when it's wet that might be the case, but it was dry when we were there and we had no problem making the drive in a Fiat 500. If that little car can make it, any car can make it. Yes, you need to take it slow and easy, it's a rough, steep, gravel road.

We stayed in the tent campground. Peaceful spot, every star is visible. All of them. Beautiful sunrise in the morning viewed from the rim trail. Wish we had longer to explore, but we were off to Devil's Den right after breakfast. Hope to make it back some day.

Beautiful place

Fish this place often and also camp. They keep this place clean and have never had issues with other campers. Stays quiet. Only issue is, they do not have a cleaning station.

Great Spot

Their campsites are in a great spot, they are easily accessible on a paved road

The sites are not all level so be picky with what site you choose, we always go find an empty spot that will work first, they have horse camps, tv sites, and camper spots as well as small cabins, each spot has different amenities but most have electric and running water near!

Absolute beauty

Great campsites awesome trails, and if you need any help park staff are great help.

Beautiful sunsets, quit and very clean. Two playgrounds and a clean bath/shower house. We love camping here.

Great spot in NWA

Easily accessible from Interstate 49. Multiple sites to choose from. You can pay on site once you pick an open spot. They have bathrooms and shower facilities. Sites inside the park are close to trail heads. Park Rangers are active at night patrolling and doing park ranger things. Outside the park there are some better more spacious options to camp. They are next to the creek so you get the creek noise. Alittle more secluded. Overall a nice place to camp in NWA.

Great weekend trip

Great place to do some day hiking on a weekend. Nice views and some waterfalls

Beautiful park, great views and hiking.

Mount Magazine is a beautiful State Park with great hiking trails. We hiked Signal Hill (highest point in Arkansas) and the North Rim Trail. Both were beautiful. This is a great place for families to camp. There is a welcome center with a small gift shop. Our campsite was spacious with water and electric although we were tent camping. Shower and bathroom facilities were nice and clean. They also had a place to hang glide. We checked out some of the cabins for future options, and they looked amazing with beautiful views.

Okay

No hookups. Sites are small for campers. Scenic as it is on the lake

Nice

Hook ups and cabins available. Nice bath and showers. Reserve ahead as it fills up

Standing Rock Park went South!

Camping is now prohibited due to being inhabited by druggies. No camping, no water, no restrooms, no dumpster. Access Only to boatramp. Very rough area…

Omggg

Natural springs!!! What more could you ask for?!

Great campground

Great shoreline sites. Showers are clean. Swim area and three boat ramps.

My favorite on Tenkiller

Only seven 50 amp spots and no sewer sites but the campground is great. Store outside gate. Gates going in locked at 10:00 p.m. and open at 6:00 a.m.

Cool out of the way camping

Trout stream and large striped bass. Nice sites and boat ramp.

No longer maintained by Corps

Grounds are all grown over.

Great place to camp and fish

Mini docks at sites make it nice for fishing. The sites are close to water.

Quiet beauty

Nice little lake and not too busy. Family oriented.

Best place to camp if you have a family...

This place has everything, movie theater, horse riding, a train that goes around the park, golf carts, tons of activities for the entire family… Swiming pool and all… We go every chance we get, my kids love it….

Girls trip

great camp site right on the riveR lt was very clean and we had a blast.

Very nice park

Magazine Mountain is the highest peak in Arkansas at 2,753 feet. Mount Magazine SP sits at the top of Magazine Mountain. It has 18 RV campsites of varying length, all with water and most have sewer. Two have 50 amp service with the rest having 30. All of the campsites have a large level tent pad, table, fire ring, and plenty of shade. The restrooms/showers are a 4.5 out of 5 for state park facilities.

Mount Magazine SP also has a lodge with a restaurant and and 13 cabins if camping is not your thing.

The park has about 15 miles of hiking trails. The trails are mostly shaded and well defined. Remember you are on a mountain so there will be elevation changes as you walk. We hiked about half of them.

Mount Magazine boasts as one of the top spots for fall foliage. Our visit was in late August so something we will have to come back for, but with the many species of trees I have no doubt it would be beautiful.

Other amenities of the park are multiple picnic areas and a hang glider launch area. Picnic areas are nice. We did not partake of the hand glider launch. No I am not afraid to die, just see no need to rush into it.

Just outside the SP is the Ozark-St. Francis National Forest with 170 miles of OHV trails. Rubi (our Jeep) had fun. Ok we did too.

Mount Magazine SP is a very nice place to visit and one we look forward to coming back to.

This campground is very peaceful. It is a great place to stay with family.

There are 2 sides to this campground. Each has a boat ramp, with loading docks. There are showers and bathrooms. One side has a playground and swimming area. The camp is always clean and the camp hosts are very pleasant and helpful.

Very nice site on top of the mountain

Pretty good tow up the mountain. Limited number of sites. Full hookup. A lot of trees. Great lodge if you want to stay there. Restaurant. Great views of the valley below.

Beautiful and serene

This facility has everything you need. If you are a glamper there is a place for you, but if you like to primitive camping there is also a place for you. Great place to Hike and explore.

Great place, despite the things that happened

It's a beautiful area, well marked trails with wonderful overreaching views. I was there Sept 2nd-3rd, 2017 and everything was gorgeous. But…that time of year those stick insects must have been mating and they were everywhere. Constantly falling out of trees and landing on me, others on the trails were having issues with them too. Also, there's dead trees and signs up about an Asian beetle killing the trees. Don't touch the beetles, especially by accident. They're one of the kinds that have a liquid defense mechanism and you do not want that stuff on you. It smells horrible and will not come off, not with Germ X or any other soap I had…the beetle was on a tree I reached out for when I tripped.

The trails have a ton of up and downs, very rocky, so take your time and maybe bring a walking stick or pole.

There are many camping sites along the trails, they're just nice little open areas with stone fire rings. I hung up my hammock and stayed the night pretty comfy and quiet. But come morning someone had made off with my sneakers…honestly my fault, I should've had everything bagged up or tied down. So on my hike back out to my car that morning I had to wear a pair of chacos…they weren't broken in yet and I had tons of blisters by the time I got back to my car.

But that was my problem. I still enjoyed this place and me and some friends are planning a trip there soon.

Oh and the stone gazebo overlooking the valley is pretty amazing, not only is the view wonderful but there's also town names carved into the stone with arrows and how many miles away it is. I really liked that. Also while I stood there a train was going thru the valley below and you could just barely hear it and follow it along the tracks.

Wooded hiking campground

Nice wooded lots. Three trails start in the tent campground, and a nice river runs along the back of the campground. It also has a large meadow in the center that’s great for frisbee. Really nice well maintained bathrooms and showers. They also have daily activities with the interpreter.

Lake Wedington

The hike around the lake is roughly 1.5 miles and beautiful

GREAT EXPERIENCE!

This campsite has some of the prettiest views in the Ozark national forest. We stayed in a basic tent site and had no issues. Nice fire pit/ pit toilet/ water pump access. There is a house where the campsite host family lives. They were amazing and helped up navigate the area and plan our adventures. They have trail maps and firewood for sale, and are always willing to help.

The drive up to this campsite was a slight challenge. I would recommend an SUV or other tall vehicle with 4 wheel drive. The twisty, steep, narrow dirt road makes for quite an adventure. It has many large rocks in the road and the decently sized potholes. I scraped the bottom of my little car quite a bit on the way up.