Fires Unknown
Pets Unknown
About White Rock Mountain Recreation Area

Experience nature and adventure at historic White Rock Mountain! This National Forest Recreation Area features three unique and rustic natural stone cabins and a large natural stone lodge built in the 1930s by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). Each features a stone fireplace new, antique, and original wood furniture handcrafted by the CCC. Wind, rain and natural elements had caused the deterioration of the buildings over the years. In 1987 a volunteer group, Friends of White Rock, began a project to renovate the historic structures. With a lot of commitment and hard work, the lodge and cabins were restored to their original state in 1991. White Rock Mountain also offers nine primitive family camping sites. These easily accessible shaded campsites include tents pads, fire rings, grills, picnic tables and access to restrooms and water. Small RVs or pop-up campers can be accommodated at a few sites.

Recreation

White Rock Mountain is the hub of several national forest hiking trail systems including the easy 2 mile trail around the mountain top rim, the 17 mile Shores Lake/White Rock loop trail, and the renowned 170 mile Ozark Highlands Trail. Other recreational activities include swimming, boating (non-motorized) or fishing at Shores Lake Recreation Area; swimming, floating or fishing the National Scenic Mulberry River; Mill Creek and other National Forest ATV trails; mountain biking, hunting and more.

Facilities

The grounds at White Rock Mountain are open year-round. There is a gravel parking area, clean vault toilets, and eight family picnic units with grills and tables. The facility features four CCC crafted shelters along the White Rock Rim Trail that offer spectacular views. Overnight parking for the Ozark Highlands Trail access is available onsite.

The lodge and three cabins are available for rent at White Rock Mountain. The lodge and cabins have electricity and running water. All units are equipped with bathrooms and a full kitchen. Each kitchen includes a stove, refrigerator, microwave, coffee pot, crock pot, dishes, cooking utensils, and cooking pots and pans. The furnishings feature new, antique, and original CCC furnishings. Each building has a large private patio with a charcoal grill and fire pit. There is no air conditioning; the stone lodge and cabins stay cool in the summer months. Heat is provided by wood burning stoves during the winter and firewood is provided. Linens, towels and bedding are not provided. Guests should pack food, towels, pillows, blankets or sleeping bags, and all other necessary overnight supplies.

There are nine family campsites at White Rock. The sites do not have electric or water hookups. Sites are equipped with tent pads, picnic tables, fire rings, grills and lantern poles. There is access to drinking water and an accessible vault toilet within close proximity to all sites. Firewood is available for purchase onsite.

Visit the onsite General Store for information, souvenirs, snacks, pizza, beverages, maps, firewood and other backcountry supplies.

Natural Features

White Rock Mountain is 2,309 feet above sea level and received its name from the appearance of the lichen on the sheer bluffs that appear white from a distance. Guests at White Rock can enjoy incredible scenic views from the lodge, cabins, campground and bluffs. The forest is home to a large variety of wildlife including deer, bear, bald eagles, turkey and more. In the fall season White Rock Mountain offers unrivaled opportunities for taking in the bright red, orange and yellow autumn foliage that sweeps across the Ozark National Forest. The forest around White Rock is also a waterfall hunter's paradise featuring several great falls located in the surrounding area.

Nearby Attractions

Ozark Highlands Trail, Shores Lake Recreation Area, National Scenic Mulberry River, Mill Creek and other ATV Trails, Waterfalls, Scenic Drives, Mountain Biking, Wineries (Altus, AR) and more.

Charges & Cancellations

Rules & Reservation Policies As you make travel plans that include reservations on Recreation.gov, there are standard policies that apply to most locations of which you should be aware. Do keep in mind, however, that there are many exceptions, so it is best to review reservation information listed on individual facility pages for those policies and procedures that pertain to your specific locations. Booking Window For most locations, you can reserve six months in advance of your stay for individual sites and 12 months in advance for group sites. There are some exceptions, so it is best to check with each facility. Change and Cancellation Policies and Fees Overnight and Day Use Facilities: To ensure fairness, reservation arrival or departure dates may not be changed beyond the booking window until 18 days after booking the reservation. Camping / Day Use: A $10.00 service fee will apply if you change or cancel your reservation (including campsites, cabins, lookouts, group facilities, etc.). The $10.00 service fee will be deducted from the refund amount. You can cancel or change reservations through Recreation.gov or by calling 1-877-444-6777. Late Cancellations Overnight and Day Use Facilities: Late cancellations are those cancelled between 12:01 a.m. (Eastern) on the day before arrival and check out time on the day after arrival. Individual Campsites: If a customer cancels a reservation the day before or on the day of arrival they will be charged a $10.00 service fee and will also forfeit the first night's use fee (not to exceed the total paid for the original reservation). Cancellations for a single night's reservation will forfeit the entire use fee but no cancellation fee will apply. Cabins / Lookouts: Customers will be charged a $10.00 cancellation fee and forfeit the first night's use fee if a cabin or lookout reservation is cancelled within 14 days of the scheduled arrival date. Cancellations for a single night's use will not be assessed a service fee. Group Facility: If a customer cancels a group overnight facility reservation within 14 days of the scheduled arrival date they will be charged the $10.00 service fee and forfeit the first night's use fee. Cancellations for a single night's use will not be assessed a service fee. Group Day Use Area: If a customer cancels a group day use facility reservation within 14 days of the scheduled arrival date, they will forfeit the total day use fee with no service fee charge. No-Shows Camping / Day Use: A camping no-show customer is one who does not arrive at a campground and does not cancel the reservation by check-out time on the day after the scheduled arrival date. Reserved campsites and group overnight facilities will be held until check-out time on the day following your scheduled arrival. Group day-use facilities will be held until check-in time on your scheduled arrival date. If a customer does not arrive at the campground or group facility by check-out time the day after arrival or does not cancel the reservation by the times listed under "Late Cancellations" above, the customer may be assessed a $20.00 service fee and forfeit use fees.

ADA Access: N

Sites
Fee Info
Please see all cancellation rules and policies on the recreation.gov webpage and in your confirmation letter.
Price
$10.00 - $175.00
National Forest
White Rock Mountain Recreation Area is located in Arkansas
Directions
From Interstate 40 at Mulberry, Arkansas, take exit 24, turn north onto Arkansas 215 and continue for approximately 12.3 miles. Turn left onto Forest Service Road 1505 toward Shores Lake/White Rock and follow for approx. 5.3 miles. Turn left onto Forest Service Road 1505 and follow for approx. 2.2 miles. Turn right onto Forest Service Road 1505 and follow for 0.5 miles. Turn right onto Forest Service Road 1535 and continue for approximately 0.5 miles to White Rock Mountain. For alternative directions and/or GPS navigation enter "White Rock Mountain Recreation Area" into Google Maps. If you need further assistance with directions, please call us at (479) 369-4128.
10 Reviews of White Rock Mountain Recreation Area
Walkingsticks Infestation

Made plans with my son and his gf for a weekend of camping at White Rock (this was last year - Sept. 20, 2018), and booked a campsite through Recreation.gov and paid the fees.  Upon arrival we checked in through the office and were directed to our site.  It took only a minute to see there was a problem.  As we unloaded the truck, hundreds of walkingsticks started climbing on our stuff.  They were all over the ground and even falling from the trees!!  Within minutes there must have been thousands!!  We were immediately loading the stuff back to the truck and headed back to the office.  The park caretaker acted like it was no big deal, even stated, "this was the second year of the infestation" (her words).  Infestation??  Why wasn't this mentioned on Recreation.gov??  There was no way you could spend a relaxing weekend camping if you have to fight these insects off everything you own!!  Upon returning home I contacted Recreation.gov and applied for a refund since we were unable to camp there…I was denied and no reason was given!!  It would be a good idea to call ahead and check on any campground that is operated by Recreation.gov, because obviously they don't care about the site, just your money!!

Holiday weekend

Nice campground, long dirt road to get there. Fellow campers need to respect the other campers and the quiet solitude of nature. Beautiful two mile hike on the rim trail.

Beautiful scenery, sites close together

The scenery at the overlook trail is amazing. Found a place to hang the hammock and had a relaxing time. Unfortunately it was walking stick mating season which added a strange element to the trip. Bathrooms were nice. The sites were very close together, too close for my liking.

Sunsets galore!!!

I had the place all to myself!! So peaceful and the best sunsets!! The staff family was awesome!!

Worth it just for the sunrise

Some of the reviews I read suggested that you need a four wheel drive vehicle to make the drive up. Maybe when it's wet that might be the case, but it was dry when we were there and we had no problem making the drive in a Fiat 500. If that little car can make it, any car can make it. Yes, you need to take it slow and easy, it's a rough, steep, gravel road.

We stayed in the tent campground. Peaceful spot, every star is visible. All of them. Beautiful sunrise in the morning viewed from the rim trail. Wish we had longer to explore, but we were off to Devil's Den right after breakfast. Hope to make it back some day.

Great place, despite the things that happened

It's a beautiful area, well marked trails with wonderful overreaching views. I was there Sept 2nd-3rd, 2017 and everything was gorgeous. But…that time of year those stick insects must have been mating and they were everywhere. Constantly falling out of trees and landing on me, others on the trails were having issues with them too. Also, there's dead trees and signs up about an Asian beetle killing the trees. Don't touch the beetles, especially by accident. They're one of the kinds that have a liquid defense mechanism and you do not want that stuff on you. It smells horrible and will not come off, not with Germ X or any other soap I had…the beetle was on a tree I reached out for when I tripped.

The trails have a ton of up and downs, very rocky, so take your time and maybe bring a walking stick or pole.

There are many camping sites along the trails, they're just nice little open areas with stone fire rings. I hung up my hammock and stayed the night pretty comfy and quiet. But come morning someone had made off with my sneakers…honestly my fault, I should've had everything bagged up or tied down. So on my hike back out to my car that morning I had to wear a pair of chacos…they weren't broken in yet and I had tons of blisters by the time I got back to my car.

But that was my problem. I still enjoyed this place and me and some friends are planning a trip there soon.

Oh and the stone gazebo overlooking the valley is pretty amazing, not only is the view wonderful but there's also town names carved into the stone with arrows and how many miles away it is. I really liked that. Also while I stood there a train was going thru the valley below and you could just barely hear it and follow it along the tracks.

GREAT EXPERIENCE!

This campsite has some of the prettiest views in the Ozark national forest. We stayed in a basic tent site and had no issues. Nice fire pit/ pit toilet/ water pump access. There is a house where the campsite host family lives. They were amazing and helped up navigate the area and plan our adventures. They have trail maps and firewood for sale, and are always willing to help.

The drive up to this campsite was a slight challenge. I would recommend an SUV or other tall vehicle with 4 wheel drive. The twisty, steep, narrow dirt road makes for quite an adventure. It has many large rocks in the road and the decently sized potholes. I scraped the bottom of my little car quite a bit on the way up.

Breathtaking

The views are exquisite. The people are warm and inviting. The cabins are very comfortable and clean. The campground is very clean and beautiful. The hiking trails are for everyone. Highly recommend!

Leave your RV at home, White Rock is for Tents only

I want to start off by saying… This is an amazing place! BUT, the road to White Rock Mountain driving south on 79 is a minimally maintained one in a half lane dirt road full of rocks, erosion, bumps and a lot of up and down switch backs. My Subaru outback handled it fine, but it takes a full hour to drive less than 15 miles on this road.

I suggest you have an all wheel or four wheel drive vehicle with plenty of clearance. Leave your RV or trailer at home.

The campground is gorgeous. It is small with plenty of forest and trees. It is on top of the mountain and the staff keeps it clean and well maintained. The Pit toilets they have, honestly, are BETTER than most campground toilets with running water. I know you don't believe it, I wouldn't either, but go see for yourself.

There are a lot of signs to beware of Black Bears which keeps anyone on edge, but the landscape is gorgeous and relaxing. For the record we didn't see any bears. I am definitely coming back to White Rock.

I almost forgot to mention, there are a couple of cabins you can rent if you are worried about sleeping in Bear Country.

White Rock

Located beyond a perfectly canopied gravel road and surrounded by miles of mostly uninhabited forests White Rock Mountain has been the most delightful treasure of 2016. When we arrived at 10:00 PM, the full moonlight guided us as we set up camp, later able able to watch the stars through our open tent (which was much needed during this hot Arkansas summer). When we awoke, shortly after dawn, we hiked the cliffs' edge where we saw miles of inviting green landscape. As our hike around the mountain progressed we saw much vegetation and wildlife! Once the hours grew hotter we decided to leave for a swim in the Mulberry, learning that a trail leads all the way down the mountain meeting the winding road in several locations. Despite having slight reservations with a toddler, I'm looking forward to our next experience at White Rock.