About Homolovi Ruins State Park
Homolovi Ruins State Park is located in Arizona
16 Reviews of Homolovi Ruins State Park
Wide Open Spaces

Homolovi State Park and Ruins….Ruins of the 'Ancient Ones', the Hopi. Land of Little Hills. A Galaxy of stars in the dark skies at night as you snuggle under your sleeping bag the cool desert breeze across your face, the howl of coyotes in the distance. Free use of showers and bathrooms after driving the I-40 , large spaces for the motorhome with FHU, a dump station, potable and drinking water available, dumpster for trash. Easy pay after 430pm on site. Then there are the ruins at Homolovi l and ll, Winslow a quick 10 minutes away, little painted desert over the hill, Petrified Forest and Holbrook East on I 40 about 20 miles away, Meteor Crator I 40 west about 15 miles away. Then there are the San Francisco Peaks in the distance. How can you go wrong with a stopover here.

"Ranger Review: Mountain House Homestyle Turkey Casserole at Homolovi Ruins State Park, AZ"

Campground Review:

This campground was priceless. We stayed at site 11 and it was perfect in reference to the bathrooms for late night use. The campground is a loop with lots of wild Arizona desert brush for little boys to explore. This loops also makes some campsites inconvenient to the bathrooms and FREE showers. Check the site map before reserving. The restrooms and FREE showers were very clean and spacious. The campground was also very clean. I did notice, on our visit, there seemed to be many more RV's than tents. Also, not a lot of families with young children although my children loved the park. The sites are open so there is not a lot of privacy, however, they are spaced apart so you are not on top of each other. The rangers and volunteers were very friendly, knowledgeable and patient with little boy questions. Our first hike was to the Visitors center through wild Arizona desert and cows with a beautiful view of a snow capped mountain. I was very impressed with the Native American history at this park. Each site has a fire ring, grill, and tent pad (with eye hooks all around). The eye hooks were very handy because the winds got a little gusty one night. Also, did I mention the cows???

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time. Today I tested "MOUNTAIN HOUSE HOMESTYLE TURKEY CASSEROLE" https://www.mountainhouse.com/m/product/homestyle-turkey-dinner-casserole.html

1. This meal was an easy perfect Easter lunch on the day we packed up to leave.
  2. The instructions were spot on and easy to follow
  3. My husband and I enjoyed this meal more than the kids did but the flavor was great. The chicken was nice big pieces, there were lots of veggies and the stuffing was the best.
  4. Took up very little space in packing, light weight, very filling.
Great history

If you are interested in Native American history and culture you definitely need to stop here to learn and enjoy the artifacts. Since it is in the middle of nowhere it is nice that they have camping, but it is very simple and open like in many parts of the southwest. It was clean and simple. The ruins are smaller than we expected and there is always a chance you may disover some pieces of pottery on your walks around the area (leave them in place!). In our opinion you don’t need more than a day here.

Super underrated

This place could easily be a national monument. The visitor center is a piece of art! Insane artifacts and they are still uncovering! Great bathrooms and showers are free as always, AZ!

Unsuspectingly amazing

The visitor center is awesome. Amazing architecture for a visitor center in the middle of nowhere. The ruins are cool, there are a few different sites and more is being uncovered all the time. There was even tissues and a heater in the bathrooms at the campsite.

Incredible cultural site,

Beautiful area and this park makes a nice one-day stop as part of a road trip. We saw archeologists studying the site, such a treat! Main artifacts are pieces of pottery, petroglyphs, and stone work. Unlike when you see these things in museums they let you touch them and you can find them everywhere, which takes it to a whole other level for me. There are even more impressive and extensive ruins in the southwest, but this one is quite nice. There are Hopi cultural events in the area frequently, ask rangers for event info. Easy hiking trails, not too long. Lots of wildlife, even a roadrunner right by the campsite! If you are super afraid of scorpions and snakes you may just want to stay out of this part of Arizona, but they do keep their distance. Stargazing is some of the best I've ever seen. Very open and shadeless campsites (but the whole area is like that). You can make a reservation though it wasn't busy when we were there. Very clean, nice facilities, just like all the AZ State Parks I've visited. There is water on site (thank god!) and each site is quite large and private.