About Alamo Lake State Park

Playground Park Specialized Sport Site

Other Recreation Concession Site: Groceries

Alamo Lake State Park is located in Arizona
7 Reviews of Alamo Lake State Park
Very pretty but in the middle of nowhere!

Gorgeous place to visit or stay love it!!!! Huge park with nice campground. Sites near the ranger station are paved and level. No cell service unless you hike up a trail or drive to the dam overlook. There are only a few hiking trails(easy to moderate) but they are well maintained. The lake is a great place to kayak. We saw many birds and wild donkeys. The views are excellent. Hiking trails were at a minimum. Saw Borros& quail. Located in the middle of no where. Be sure to have full refrig and gas tank before you come in.(There is a convenient store on Rt 60 between Solome& Wenden). We camped at Alamo Lake in a 5th Wheel.

Beautiful and Peaceful

Nature,wildlife awesome views what else do you need? Oh we will be back again!

Decent winter camping

This is our go-to spot in the winter. 2 hours from Phoenix. This is all ugly desert landscape, but the lake is nice and the night sky is AMAZING! We pay $22 per night for water and electric. Spots are pretty close to each other. They have a ranger store that sells pretty much everything. The bathrooms are always clean with flush toilets and showers. The weather is close to perfect in the winter, gets pretty cold at night. I wouldn’t recommend going in the summer as the temps reach well over 100. We have fished there, but have never caught anything. The fishermen on boats bring in a ton of fish, so if you have a boat then you’ll have better luck. It’s always very windy at night, so remember to put your awnings up! We made that mistake our first time there. I’m sure we’ll go back next winter since it’s close to Phoenix and reasonably priced. We get pretty good cell service too. There are a ton of spots and are reservable online. They also have small cabins you can rent.

Great Fishing!

I grew up in Arizona and had never been to Alamo Lake.  The lake is kind of in the middle of nowhere but what a hidden treasure. We camped there in March 2018.  It was on the warm side.  The area is best suited for camping October - March.  This is the desert people.  Or if you have a giant RV with air conditioning and cable television, you could go anytime.  Fish early in the morning and late at night.

The campground is rather large with different areas for tent camping and hook-ups.  We stayed with an electric and water hook-up in a pop-up tent trailer.  There were lots of big rigs and toy haulers.  We definitely had toy envy with only our pop-up and kayaks.  This is a big ATV area so there were lots of ATVs riding around.  People also had speed boat and canoes.  The campground was not completely full even though it was Easter weekend.  It was also relatively quiet.  The bathrooms were sparkling clean and had nice showers with hot water.  There was also an AMAZING fish cleaning area at each campsite loop.  If you aren't really a campsite person, there is dispersed camping available by the shore but you need to drive down a dirt road through a tiny fork in the road "town" called Wayside.  There is a bar/restaurant/store/campground/gas station in Wayside.  The next town is about 30 miles away.

We found some great fishing which is unusual for Arizona.  We caught bass, bluegill and catfish.  We saw people catching a lot of fish.  They have bass fishing competitions at this lake and I can see why.

The lake is surrounded by pretty red mountains. The sky is a beautiful blue.  I highly recommend the area.  Not too crowded, good fishing, nice clean campground.  What more could you want but maybe a nice cold beer!

Hidden Gem

Every time I mention Alamo Lake, even people who have lived in Arizona forever say "where"? It's quite a drive to what feels like the middle of nowhere, but totally worth the trip. It's like a mini-Lake Pleasant without all the jet skies and power boats. Campgrounds are basic but serviceable and the far side of the lake has nice sandy beaches for additional camping outside the official park.

I just returned from a camping trip here this weekend and the lake was totally different from my last visit. This lake is not fed by any dedicated water source and it was designed for flood control, so it's level varies greatly from year to year based on winter rain/snow fall during the previous winter. The lake this weekend was THREE TIMES bigger than when I saw it in the spring of 2016 - about 17,000 acres and close to full right now. I'd love to give the park a one-star review just so no one will go there and it can be my great little secret! The drive there is a bit boring, and it's funny to note that while driving the 30 miles or so out Salome road, the "watch for cattle" signs are paired with warnings painted on the road AND rumble strips about every 300 years while in Maricopa county, but as soon as you cross into La Paz county the yellow signs and road paint continue, but the rumble strips disappear :)

There are 5 camping sections with different amenities for each - I prefer the B section because most of the sites have views of the lake, but section A has showers near the cabin rentals (they are only a short walk from B, so it makes staying closer to the lake a win still). Sections C, D, and E are off the first road you can enter and are much more primitive, although they are serviced by their own launch and fish cleaning station. Sections A and B are near the ranger station/camp store that sells all kinds of stuff you might forget and snacks, and has a gas pump outside (I did not inquire about purchasing gas and the pump looks like it's quite an antique. . .)

It's a bit desolate and can be hot and to be honest, kind of boring if you don't have a plan. I love taking my kayak because it's so quiet and it's a great lake for birding - I saw tons of migrating water birds this weekend, as well as an osprey, Harris hawks, and an owl early this morning. There are also tons of wild burros, coyotes, and other desert creatures. This is a fishing lake and pretty much everyone who drives all the way out to Alamo Lake is going for the same reason - to sit in a serene lake on a quiet boat and catch a ton of fish. This is not a hiking lake - I did not see any trails other than just paths here and there through the park.

great time!

My family had a great time camping here, we loved the facilities!

simple fishing spot

Stopped here in route to grab a bit of fresh air and have a picnic. It’s a simple park with a nice lake for fishing. The campground seemed to be very basic with small not very secluded sites. It would be a fine place to spend a night, but not a destination for me. One huge attraction at the park is stargazing. It has amazing views of the sky and I can imagine on a clear night it would be breathtaking.