Brighton, ALABAMA
Most Recent Brighton Camping Reviews
Great campground with lots to do in park

We stayed here for Camp-o-ween. Campers really got into decorating for the trick or treaters. Lots of fun activities planned by the park in the campground and around the park. Lots of variety in the sites for tent and RV campers.

Paradise point

I loved the campground. My wife and kids were safe while I was away. The staff was more than awesome. They were very flexible working with me

Candy mountain

Grounds not kept up Owner was nice Cigarette butts every where in our site along with beer bottle tops. Was not as comfortable as I like to be leaving my wife and children alone there. A friend said his tag was stolen off his rv while there. Same guy also said that the mans bull dog was swimming in the pool when he went.

Tannehill

Very tight spots. Lots of trees though for cover. Tomany things to mention to do at this park, particularly for history buffs. Numerous events held there. We very much enjoyed our stay would go back

Oak mountain

Small sites Very long drive into the campsite. Some like the drive it wasn’t for us. Otherwise it was a really neat with bike trails wakeboard park fishing, golf, horseback stuff. Neat for a week stay or passing through

Perfectly adequate for ourneeds

We needed a one night stopover Campground. Aesthetics are important, so we chose Oak Mountain State Park for its mountain beauty. We thought we’d reserve the campsite (B36) based on its being at the end of the area and near the shower/restroom. Major pros to the campground would be an apparent lot of things to do: what looked like a zip line water skiing place, lots of major inflatable stuff in the beach swimming area, equestrian trails and stalls for horses, hiking trails… and our site was near one of the playgrounds in the campground. The staff in the office and host folks were wonderful and friendly. But, our site was an asphalt pad ( perfectly level) with no grass around it. While the campground is surrounded by forest, There were some trees, and some shade, but not enough space around us to sit back ( on our asphalt) to enjoy them. The shower was perfectly hot and adequate water pressure, but there is one shower in each shower house/restroom, and it was right inside the restroom door with a bend in the wall and one plastic shower curtain. My daughter felt exposed, but there weren’t so many people using the showerhouse to be problematic. The two toilet stalls were also enough for the number of people that needed to use them. (There are other similarly sized showerhouse/restrooms not too far away.) This campground met our needs well, but we weren’t overwhelmed and didn’t rush to book a return overnight after our trip. There are many reasons to love this place ( and the tent camp spaces looked fantastic!!!) but for what we needed I’d have to say it was just perfectly adequate.

Civilian Conservation Corp and Pinhoti Trail

Simple and enjoyable. Caretaker and author Sunny Eberhart (Nimblewill Nomad ) is wonderful to talk to. Access to southern terminus of the Pinhoti Trail. CCC tower and cabins from 1930’s.

Beautiful campground!

We have camped at this park several times. We have always enjoyed our stay. Most of the campsites are tucked away beneath a canopy of trees with nice shade. The bath houses are always clean, as well as the entire campground. It is great for a relaxing weekend getaway.

Great for beginners!

My campground was great for true car campers. The campsite was only a few strides from my car and there was a water spigot 5 steps away. I went on a very busy weekend but typically there is less action. Also, I love that you can choose what type of camping you want- RV, car camping, or even backcountry!

One of those places you hope for

We stayed in 2 sites over 3 days.  One in each loop.  Absolutely a place will would stay at again.  The B loop is more packed in and your view may be of other campsites.  The A loop is more spread out but your site will be right on the main road.  The park is very well kept and the staff was more than friendly.  There is something for everyone to do within the park including a golf course.

Cave and swim

Olympic size pool fed by cave water!! Kids loved this campground! Low and high dive, great gift shop and cave tours. Ready to go back!!

Love it every time

Clean, well kept and managed. Loads of stuff to do here! My kids love the hike to Peavine falls and swimming at the beach area. Bringing your own kayak saves you money and you can bike or ride horses all day!

Beautiful Historic park

Great campsites creek for swimming and if your looking for a sweet treat stop in and grab some ice cream. Bathhouses need attention though wasn’t pleased.

Great place

Love to camp here

Words really can't describe!

This campground cannot be beat. It is absolutely gorgeous. Sites are kept immaculate. Even the shower house is beautifully built. Babbling brooks are everywhere! And nothing makes a campground more than the camp host themselves. Wonderful people. It is deep in the wilderness so do not expect Wi-Fi or cell signal. It's nearly an hour to town come well-stocked!

Beautiful and quiet

This place was amazing. Watching the sun come up on this lake was so calming. We camped in site 16 and had a good view and a little walk way to the water. I wasn’t impressed with the bathrooms or showers but they were at least clean.

I’m a new camping Mom, so far starters it is clean and safe and lots of fun!

My 3 kids and I pitched a tent at the camp ground and then took a dip in the lake. Lake was a short walk from our tent, we stayed an hour and all enjoyed the refreshing water. Beach area was not crowded but me most enjoyed the doc where my kids could jump off. I swam as well and loved it. View of the mountains was very nice.

We cooked dinner at our tent and scored a spot very close to the bath house which included a utility closet with a sink for cleaning dishes, etc. Tent site was well marked and orderly. Including a fire pit with grill attachment. Beautiful canopy of trees making for great shade. Beautiful evening, very quiet and orderly.

Enjoyed cooking breakfast the next morning followed by hiking and a trip to Peavine Falls. Very nice and highly recommended.

Staffing at Oak Mtn was great. Plenty of folks patrolling and looking after the camping community ☀️⛺️

Nice Park, not so Nice Campground

We stayed in site #6, which had full afternoon sun. The temperature was 96 degrees out, so was extremely hot! The driveway was gravel, so it was very dusty. It seemed to be more of a "locals" hangout, than a public campground. The bathhouse was clean. This was full hookups. Back in site with gravel. It did have a fire ring. At the park itself it was really nice. The kids had a blast, a small amusement park with a maze and scanning for gemstones. There was also deep caverns to tour with a light show. All of this was on the grounds of the campground.

Beautiful Park - Plenty to do!

*It's been a while since my last visit, but since I camp there every year, several times each summer, I figured I'd go ahead and do a quick review anyway.

Every summer for the past few years I've traveled to Oak mountain, typically going several times each summer (July and August) to run the Southeastern trail series. Although there are numerous back country camp sites, I've always stayed at the campground due to its convenient location, and always stay at the same campsite (B6) each visit. The campground is divided into two sections (A & B) and each campsite has parking right at the site itself.

Although the first few tent sites on the B-side are located right off the road, they're set back far enough that they feel pretty secluded with plenty of trees to give a slight sense of privacy. These first few sites have no electrical hookup or water, but are located a short walking distance from the front bathhouse (bathroom and shower). The bathhouse directly across from my site is rarely busy, and the single shower is clean with plenty of hot water.

Each site has a cinderblock retaining wall, a picnic table, and a steel fire ring with a flip-top cooking grate. If you're tent camping, the pad is dirt with a layer of pea-gravel, so a sleeping pad is a must. Firewood is easy to find in the surrounding woods if there hasn't been a lot of people thru the area. Otherwise, wood is available at the store at the entrance to the campground. The campground is easily accessible from the parks back gate entrance, which is only a short driving distance to pretty much anything you could need (restaurants, gas, groceries, etc).  There's even a small beach area at the back of the campground exclusive to campground guests. The staff is always friendly and reserving a campsite online is easy.

One of the great things about Oak Mountain State Park is that there's plenty to do aside from the camping; hiking, mountain biking, horse stables, a BMX track, an archery range, canoeing, paddle boats/ paddle boarding, several lakeside beaches with playgrounds, a wakeboarding course, a wildlife rehabilitation center, and a treetop nature boardwalk which features several enclosures where you can view birds of prey up close. Also, if you're into trail running or mountain biking, there are several race series held at the park each year.

All in all, I love this park and already have my reservations made again for this summer!

Great park

I love taking the kids on a hike. They have quick or long hikes. If that is not your thing then visit the lake for paddle boarding, kayaking, or swimming. We like to do both during the day. They also have great biking trails.

Woodsy and quiet

Well-kept grounds and friendly staff. My campsite was near the bathroom/shower which was convenient.  Enjoyed the hillside view I had and the walks in the woods surrounding the campground. My dogs took me for several long walks while we were here. Pull-thru site had a set of steps leading from the parking pad to the 'patio'. Very neat!

Another Fun Weekend at Clear Creek

See my previous full review of the campground below. We had site 5 this time with some friends next door on 4D.

Update from my previous review, they now except cards at check in for walk up sites. This is a big change as last time we were here, just a month back, they were cash only.

As always, very helpful staff and we love the water front sites with easy access to launch kayaks and canoes right from your site.

Nice, but not what I was looking for.

The campground was clean and stayed quiet. About 40 feet between sites. Trees but no underbrush, so no real privacy between sites. The campground is geared towards RV's. It's not bad. There is water and electric at all the sites. Dont plan on playing in the lake unless you get the outer side of the loop. It's good that the waterfront sites are not reservable in that you have a chance at something. I've never been one to plan out my camping weekends 42 years in advance like everyone else seems to. Its on the far south side of bankhead national forest. We went to hike some trails in the Sispey wilderness and it was about an hour drive to get up there. Our neighbors, which I think are camp hosts are friendly enough, but they left there dozen strands of led lights on all night. It looked like the Vegas strip not the woods. I prefer the woods. But if you like the big RV culture you will probably love this place. I'll keep looking for a quiet place in the woods.

I’m not sure if you can camp in their yard....

May need to check this out.

Peaceful & Clean

This place is really nice; be sure to check your spot to make sure you can park easily- some sites are difficult for large pull trailers

Great if not in section 1

Section 1 is TIGHT but the remaining loops are great as long as you dont need sewer hookups!!!

Not a fan

Seems to be more people living there than camping. The pull thrus are not a true pull thru. Just a big gravel lot!!

Ranger Review: Icemule Pro Cooler at Horse Pens 40 Campground

Campground Review: This is considered the site for the best bouldering in Alabama and is known nationally for its climbing and annual festivals. It is organized as a large spread out, somewhat wooded area with designated campsites around fire pits. When you arrive and check in/pay your camping fee you then drive to pick a site. There is really no privacy for each individual spot but you can find ones that are a little more removed or larger depending on your needs. The campground area is then situated right next to the expansive boulders which you can explore throughout your entire stay. Since this is why people come to Horse Pens 40 it is the focus of the park and therefor the campsites function mostly for the sake of being close to the boulders. I wouldn’t suggest coming here if you aren’t a serious climber and very interested in the bouldering aspect. Since my wife and I are only amateur climbers we found the rocks to be more of a challenge than we were expecting and got pretty worn our very quickly. We also struggled to finish most of the routes. Overall, we did enjoy the trip but found that for our needs which were a relaxing weekend of camping and some easy enjoyable climbing it didn’t fit us so well. I had hoped for a more secluded camping experience and more manageable climbing options. I personally prefer making the little bit further drive from birmingham up to Cherokee Rock Village which provides a superior experience for less cost in my opinion.

……………………….

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get to try out new and interesting products at campgrounds I visit. On this trip, I took along the Icemule Pro Cooler to keep all our food fresh for the weekend. My takeaways from using the soft shelled cooler are:

1. Transportability: With built in backpack straps and the ability to roll closed and strap everything tight this cooler is the easiest I have ever used to transport cold items while camping. Even just going from car to the site which was no more than a 1-2 min walk would have been miserable with my traditional hard sided cooler packed full with ice and food. The Icemule got tossed on my back freeing up my hands to carry the bag with all our cookware. On another trip we even hiked in to a backcountry campground with the cooler and just loaded it with all of our food and cookware to make transporting everything easier.
  2. Temperature Stability: I had my doubts that a soft shelled cooler could maintain its temperature anywhere near my hard sided coolers since I have seen how quickly my ice pack melts in my lunch each day. The Icemule Pro managed to surprise me in this regard as well since when we arrived home after 2 full days out in the sun and Alabama hot fall weather all the ice packs were still completely frozen solid. We were able to bring things that needed refrigeration without worrying about storage and without having to lug around the giant cooler.
  3. Flexibility: Since the cooler is made out of a flexible fabric material this provides two wonderful features. First, it can be rolled up and stored in a small space when not in use. I really appreciated this since we live in a small home and space is always a factor with our gear. Second, when loading the cooler you aren’t limited by the form factor of a rectangular box. We had a lot more ability to squeeze items in where we wanted them and didn’t have any dead corner space.

Overall, this is an incredibly engineered addition to my gear collection and has already proved useful on multiple camping trips. It had tons of space for a weekend trip, is easy to transport and move around the campsite, and performs incredibly well in its role as a cooler.

Super park, but those bath houses are another story

We've lived in AL most all our 50+ years, but have never camped at this jewel of a park. Checking in was efficient and organized. All the staff was super helpful. Everything was great until we needed to use the facilities. They were clean, for the most part, but so very old and outdated. Why? This park and campground is outstanding - just need to desperately update the bath houses.