Brighton, ALABAMA

Most Recent Brighton Camping Reviews

Lake Lurleen is a beautiful, well kept place to camp. Bathrooms are exceptionally clean. The camp sites are big and well maintained. The only draw back was if you are camped at the bottom and have to do the hill climb in the dark to the rest room.

Pretty good

We got a tent site with power. Great price! Clean park, lake is always a good thing. Lights at camp ground kinda bright, but guess if I needed to go pee that would help lol. Lady working office was pretty nice and helpful. Has a little store can get almost anything you might need. Bath house shower had great hot water with good pressure. Felt safe here that’s important. I’d definitely come back. Probably next weekend lol the beach area had a lot of rocks! Probably due to water level low had to go buy some water shoes, but then it was all good.

Great time

Rode motorcycles up from Florida panhandle for some reflection time. Offers all different options of camping. Has bathrooms, showers and a lake there is plenty of things to do. I intend to go back when I have more time. Great place to rest.

Closed till further notice

Sure hate that they closed it up. They have a nice lake and pool. Said they might reopen in a year.

Great Weekend Getaway

Site had plenty of room to stretch out with the fire ring being 20 feet away from the RV. Created several outdoor spaces and was a nice change from other super cramped RV sites at other campgrounds. Power was stable and water was clean. Several bath houses through the campground. Super close to mountain bike trails and kayak put ins. Friendly staff. Only negatives were ants on the campsite and the dumpsters were really far away. We’ve made plans to comeback next year.

Great park just needs a little updating

Decent state park hosted by always friendly staff. Large swim beach with bath house and a few small playgrounds scattered throughout. several pavilions that can be reserved for parties. 4 camping sections with power and water, plus a primitive area. only about half have sewer, and even less have 50amp service. sewer sites are near the front of the campground, and one dump station near the back.

campsite sizes vary, and it can be difficult to find a site for larger campers. utility connections aren't always in the most appropriate spot (often need water hose or power cable of 25ft+) most sites do offer plenty of shade or a view of the lake.

Great park but sites are tight

Love Tannehill but the sites in Sec 1 are on top of each other.

Huge park, lots to do!

Oak Mountain State Park is Alabama’s largest state park. Located just outside of Birmingham, it’s easy to escape to nature without being too far off the beaten path. This park is HUGE! There’s so many things to do here, we plan to return when we have more time to explore!

We saw several hiking trails, a horseback riding area, a golf course, a lake with a beach and swimming area, plus kayak and boats, we also saw some kind of skiing tow rope area! It was really cool, I’d never seen one of those! I read the park is known for mountain biking also, and I noticed a few road bikes in the bike lane driving in.

We originally booked a tent site without electric, but it was blazing hot, so we decided to move to a site with electric so we could have fans in our rooftop tent and ended up in site A06. The site was shaded and there was no one in that area so we had great privacy. Our site backed up to the woods, so it was nice.

The tent (no electric) sites are the best in my opinion. Most are back in the woods and shaded. I don’t believe you can reserve a specific tent site, as they assign you one when you arrive, but there were so many great tent sites, i don’t think it would be a problem unless it was a super busy weekend. Most of the tent sites are walk in also, so if you have a rooftop tent, or car camping, these won’t work.

A loop seemed to have larger, wooded, sites with more privacy. B loop was wide open. The tent sites were great in both loops though.

The restrooms were ancient. They could use some updates, but they were clean and functional, and there were multiple facilities throughout the campground.

There’s a camp store at the check in area, they have the essentials, and they do have ice. The ladies working in there were really nice and helpful too.

Oak Mountain is a great spot to camp, just go when there’s not a heat wave in Alabama, and you have time to explore the park!

Nice place but water isnt the cleanest

Nice sites to drive on.

Clean, friendly and well maintained

The grounds are well maintained and the staff is on top of things. Great location on the lake, close to everything. So close you don’t even need to leave the RV park to see the frequent fireworks or the huge pelican gatherings.

Great campground with lots to do in park

We stayed here for Camp-o-ween. Campers really got into decorating for the trick or treaters. Lots of fun activities planned by the park in the campground and around the park. Lots of variety in the sites for tent and RV campers.

Paradise point

I loved the campground. My wife and kids were safe while I was away. The staff was more than awesome. They were very flexible working with me

Candy mountain

Grounds not kept up Owner was nice Cigarette butts every where in our site along with beer bottle tops. Was not as comfortable as I like to be leaving my wife and children alone there. A friend said his tag was stolen off his rv while there. Same guy also said that the mans bull dog was swimming in the pool when he went.

Tannehill

Very tight spots. Lots of trees though for cover. Tomany things to mention to do at this park, particularly for history buffs. Numerous events held there. We very much enjoyed our stay would go back

Oak mountain

Small sites Very long drive into the campsite. Some like the drive it wasn’t for us. Otherwise it was a really neat with bike trails wakeboard park fishing, golf, horseback stuff. Neat for a week stay or passing through

Perfectly adequate for ourneeds

We needed a one night stopover Campground. Aesthetics are important, so we chose Oak Mountain State Park for its mountain beauty. We thought we’d reserve the campsite (B36) based on its being at the end of the area and near the shower/restroom. Major pros to the campground would be an apparent lot of things to do: what looked like a zip line water skiing place, lots of major inflatable stuff in the beach swimming area, equestrian trails and stalls for horses, hiking trails… and our site was near one of the playgrounds in the campground. The staff in the office and host folks were wonderful and friendly. But, our site was an asphalt pad ( perfectly level) with no grass around it. While the campground is surrounded by forest, There were some trees, and some shade, but not enough space around us to sit back ( on our asphalt) to enjoy them. The shower was perfectly hot and adequate water pressure, but there is one shower in each shower house/restroom, and it was right inside the restroom door with a bend in the wall and one plastic shower curtain. My daughter felt exposed, but there weren’t so many people using the showerhouse to be problematic. The two toilet stalls were also enough for the number of people that needed to use them. (There are other similarly sized showerhouse/restrooms not too far away.) This campground met our needs well, but we weren’t overwhelmed and didn’t rush to book a return overnight after our trip. There are many reasons to love this place ( and the tent camp spaces looked fantastic!!!) but for what we needed I’d have to say it was just perfectly adequate.

Civilian Conservation Corp and Pinhoti Trail

Simple and enjoyable. Caretaker and author Sunny Eberhart (Nimblewill Nomad ) is wonderful to talk to. Access to southern terminus of the Pinhoti Trail. CCC tower and cabins from 1930’s.

Beautiful campground!

We have camped at this park several times. We have always enjoyed our stay. Most of the campsites are tucked away beneath a canopy of trees with nice shade. The bath houses are always clean, as well as the entire campground. It is great for a relaxing weekend getaway.

Great for beginners!

My campground was great for true car campers. The campsite was only a few strides from my car and there was a water spigot 5 steps away. I went on a very busy weekend but typically there is less action. Also, I love that you can choose what type of camping you want- RV, car camping, or even backcountry!

One of those places you hope for

We stayed in 2 sites over 3 days.  One in each loop.  Absolutely a place will would stay at again.  The B loop is more packed in and your view may be of other campsites.  The A loop is more spread out but your site will be right on the main road.  The park is very well kept and the staff was more than friendly.  There is something for everyone to do within the park including a golf course.

Cave and swim

Olympic size pool fed by cave water!! Kids loved this campground! Low and high dive, great gift shop and cave tours. Ready to go back!!

Love it every time

Clean, well kept and managed. Loads of stuff to do here! My kids love the hike to Peavine falls and swimming at the beach area. Bringing your own kayak saves you money and you can bike or ride horses all day!

Beautiful Historic park

Great campsites creek for swimming and if your looking for a sweet treat stop in and grab some ice cream. Bathhouses need attention though wasn’t pleased.

Great place

Love to camp here

Words really can't describe!

This campground cannot be beat. It is absolutely gorgeous. Sites are kept immaculate. Even the shower house is beautifully built. Babbling brooks are everywhere! And nothing makes a campground more than the camp host themselves. Wonderful people. It is deep in the wilderness so do not expect Wi-Fi or cell signal. It's nearly an hour to town come well-stocked!

Beautiful and quiet

This place was amazing. Watching the sun come up on this lake was so calming. We camped in site 16 and had a good view and a little walk way to the water. I wasn’t impressed with the bathrooms or showers but they were at least clean.

I’m a new camping Mom, so far starters it is clean and safe and lots of fun!

My 3 kids and I pitched a tent at the camp ground and then took a dip in the lake. Lake was a short walk from our tent, we stayed an hour and all enjoyed the refreshing water. Beach area was not crowded but me most enjoyed the doc where my kids could jump off. I swam as well and loved it. View of the mountains was very nice.

We cooked dinner at our tent and scored a spot very close to the bath house which included a utility closet with a sink for cleaning dishes, etc. Tent site was well marked and orderly. Including a fire pit with grill attachment. Beautiful canopy of trees making for great shade. Beautiful evening, very quiet and orderly.

Enjoyed cooking breakfast the next morning followed by hiking and a trip to Peavine Falls. Very nice and highly recommended.

Staffing at Oak Mtn was great. Plenty of folks patrolling and looking after the camping community ☀️⛺️

Nice Park, not so Nice Campground

We stayed in site #6, which had full afternoon sun. The temperature was 96 degrees out, so was extremely hot! The driveway was gravel, so it was very dusty. It seemed to be more of a "locals" hangout, than a public campground. The bathhouse was clean. This was full hookups. Back in site with gravel. It did have a fire ring. At the park itself it was really nice. The kids had a blast, a small amusement park with a maze and scanning for gemstones. There was also deep caverns to tour with a light show. All of this was on the grounds of the campground.

Beautiful Park - Plenty to do!

*It's been a while since my last visit, but since I camp there every year, several times each summer, I figured I'd go ahead and do a quick review anyway.

Every summer for the past few years I've traveled to Oak mountain, typically going several times each summer (July and August) to run the Southeastern trail series. Although there are numerous back country camp sites, I've always stayed at the campground due to its convenient location, and always stay at the same campsite (B6) each visit. The campground is divided into two sections (A & B) and each campsite has parking right at the site itself.

Although the first few tent sites on the B-side are located right off the road, they're set back far enough that they feel pretty secluded with plenty of trees to give a slight sense of privacy. These first few sites have no electrical hookup or water, but are located a short walking distance from the front bathhouse (bathroom and shower). The bathhouse directly across from my site is rarely busy, and the single shower is clean with plenty of hot water.

Each site has a cinderblock retaining wall, a picnic table, and a steel fire ring with a flip-top cooking grate. If you're tent camping, the pad is dirt with a layer of pea-gravel, so a sleeping pad is a must. Firewood is easy to find in the surrounding woods if there hasn't been a lot of people thru the area. Otherwise, wood is available at the store at the entrance to the campground. The campground is easily accessible from the parks back gate entrance, which is only a short driving distance to pretty much anything you could need (restaurants, gas, groceries, etc).  There's even a small beach area at the back of the campground exclusive to campground guests. The staff is always friendly and reserving a campsite online is easy.

One of the great things about Oak Mountain State Park is that there's plenty to do aside from the camping; hiking, mountain biking, horse stables, a BMX track, an archery range, canoeing, paddle boats/ paddle boarding, several lakeside beaches with playgrounds, a wakeboarding course, a wildlife rehabilitation center, and a treetop nature boardwalk which features several enclosures where you can view birds of prey up close. Also, if you're into trail running or mountain biking, there are several race series held at the park each year.

All in all, I love this park and already have my reservations made again for this summer!