The best BOAT IN camping near
Austin Subdivision , ALABAMA

Most Recent Austin Subdivision Camping Reviews
Great Respite

Third time staying at Oak Mountain and it was great. Stayed in B37. A20-27 are better but our trip was short notice. Decent size and pretty quiet. Bathrooms could use some updating but still pretty clean. Great hiking trails and lots of stuff to do!

Tombigbee Barges Up Close

Site 129 is directly on the water with a front row seat for watching the boats and barges. Another pleasant COE campground with friendly and helpful staff. Our stay from 3/14-17/21 is overcast with the threat of tornadoes the evening after we depart. The weather discourages us from paddling, but we enjoy walking through this 176 site campground. Bathhouses and grounds are clean.

Great Swampy Views

Fairly well maintained park. Our site backed up to a swampy portion. Wonderful wooden bridges allowed it to be explored easily.

Bath houses were dated but serviceable.

Verizon service was flaky and bounced between no service to slow.

The owls were loud - which was great. Pretty sure we heard barge traffic foghorns, but they didn’t bother our sleep.

The water ran brown for a while. I’m guessing it just hadn’t been used at our site over winter. It cleared up after a minute and I flushed it for another 5.

I loved it - but maybe because it was my first swamp experience and the weather was nice and cool. I’d imagine the bugs are thick in summer. But that’s nature!

Add this place to your list!

What an amazing campground! Alabama knocked this one out of the park. From the first time you enter the park, which isn’t too far from BHam or the interstate, you’re transported to a different place where things move much more slowly just the way we like it. The campground is a 5 mile ride from the main entrance. A beautiful winding road takes you all the way, deep into the property. If you’re lucky, you will see plenty of wildlife (we saw 7 deer and one rabbit). The campsites are very spacious, we stayed in site A30 which was great! But if you want a view, try A26 which overlooks the lake. There is a general store on property that even has propane. If you’re active, they offer bike and hiking trails, horse riding, kayak and paddle boat rentals, and a couple of beaches. Don’t wait, book your stay here ASAP!

Good fishing

Good week end get away campground. improvements have been made. Easy access to city

Summer fun

Great camping in summer. Would get 5 stars if it had full hook ups!

One of my favorites

Probably one of the best kept secrets. Very clean and peaceful. Great get away location.

Great as always

Have camped here for years and it is always a very well kept campground. Pads are all level, water and some sewer hook ups are available. Bathrooms are always cleaned regularly. Due to covid they have a limit and you now have to book online at recreation.gov, they do not take cash or card at the gate.

We got to enjoy the park and try out our new Overlanding setup. The river is always so peaceful even when the barges are moving all night.

Peaceful Time Away

This campground has zero cell service, so if you can’t do without that read no further. We had a lovely stay here other than that. We enjoyed being waterfront at site #5, but there are 8 total lots on the water and then more sites that are in the wooded area. Lots 4, 5, and 6 seem to be the better ones and if your camping with friends or family 7 and 8 would be a great choice, since they are very close to each other at the end. This campground is pretty much equal distance between Birmingham and Tuscaloosa. We enjoyed our stay. It’s a four star only because of cell service. My mom fell while we were there and my children couldn’t get in touch with us.🥲

Secluded

If you plan on having service - I don’t think any phone service is available there. Nice and secluded. It was the first park I’ve been to that the playgrounds are still closed and that was one of the main reasons we went. Very quiet. Sites 1-8 are right on river. Would be 5 stars except we really didn’t have much to do without play grounds with 4 kids so left a day early.