About Lewis Lake Campground

Lewis Lake Campground—elevation 7,800 ft (2377 m)—is about eight miles from the South Entrance and a short walk from the southeast shore of Lewis Lake.

ADA Access: No accessible campsites. Bathrooms and ranger station are accessible.

National Park Service
Lewis Lake Campground is located in Wyoming
Directions
Located on the road between the South Entrance and West Thumb.
5 Reviews of Lewis Lake Campground
Nice, mostly quiet campground

Nice campground with some good views (we were on the outside of the B loop) and a pretty lake, walking distance away. We had great time. We had previously spent 3 nights at Grant Village and we found Lewis Lake to be MUCH quieter and more spacious. The only problem was the bathrooms. They were alternately bearable and terrible. But otherwise, the campground was pleasant. We were there in early August and the weather was perfect and there were virtually no bugs.

Beware of the mosquitos!!

Okay so I go camping all the time and I get it, camping = bugs but this was the WORST I have ever experienced! At one point I looked over at my dog who had never had a problem with bugs while camping before and she was coated in a blanket of mosquitos. There was no escape and all of the sites we stopped at seemed to have the same problem. We used bug spray, bug repellent bracelets, and even had a bug repelling incense to burn, but none of it made any difference. It was a bummer because it is otherwise a really cool spot, I’m not sure if we were just there during a hatch or a bad time of year or what. My husband and I probably could’ve toughed it out and stayed but we ended up having to leave because the poor dog was absolutely miserable being eaten alive by all the mosquitos!

Pretty Lake!

This is such a fun campground because you are so close to Lewis Lake which is great to cool off in after a long day outside. My only complaint is size of some sites, they are pretty tight. Otherwise a great spot to kick back and enjoy the National Park!

Secluded quiet campground

I've stayed here two years in a row and absolutely love this campground. It typically fills up last but still get there early. All the campsites have bear boxes and are in the woods. Not some sunny field with marked off tent sights. It's a little far from amenities but you aren't going camping to go eat at a restaurant. Some people may scoff at vault toilets but hey, it's better than digging a hole in the ground. The sunset on Lewis Lake is awesome especially if the clouds cooperate.

Ranger Review: Roanline Clothing at Lewis Lake, WY

Campsite Review:

Let me first take some time to talk about the amenities….vault toilets….that's it. So if you need showers, electric, water, flush toilets, etc. you may want to look else where for a place to stay.

But, if all you need is a place to set your tent (or small camper) and a place to sleep while you spend your days exploring Yellowstone National Park this is site works just fine. For the couple of days that I spent at this site all I really used it for was a place to sleep. I was more interested in going out through the park during my days here.

There were about 80 sites in the campgrounds and they are all first-come, first-served. The sites were pretty small, but all did have a fire pit, table, and bear-proof container

For video review of the camp CLICK HERE

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I occasionally get products to test, and on this trip i was able to test clothing from Roanline. The clothing that we got from Roanline was just what the doctor ordered: soft, comfortable, and light.

We bought a mixture of long and short sleeved shirts, and luckily we remembered to bring the long sleeved ones when we got to Yellowstone. I knew it would be cooler, but I did not expect the 32 degree nights.

The thing that I think I like most about Roanline is how they primarily feature up and coming brands that I haven't probably heard of. There is a big "shop local" movement and I like to do so when ever I believe I am getting quality products. And so far, I've loved the small brand products we've purchased.

For other videos like these CLICK HERE

Camping with the GO: Day 10

During our road trip around the US, I was able to try out the GO camper from SylvanSport. And although we love the GO, there have been a couple of "first-world problems" that we've encountered. What I mean is there are some things we think could be improved, but have essentially zero impact on our over all love of the GO. One of these problems is the mesh lining that is used to store the privacy and water screens for the windows. They were pretty loose and didn't really hold the screens in place once you unzipped the windows.