Bluestone Lake, WEST VIRGINIA
Most Recent Bluestone Lake Camping Reviews
Private and beautiful

We went in the middle of the week, on a Tuesday. It had been raining a lot the days before but did not rain at all the three days we stayed. It was incredibly private, we were the only ones staying overnight. There were some visitors throughout the days, hiking, fishing, and a lot of white water rafters. We stayed at site 7 which was definitely the most private, the only downside being people walking on the trail walk right by your camp, but it wasn’t a very big deal. The second most private campsite was 6

The only downsides were the bathrooms and maybe the train. The bathrooms were a pit latrine, which is private but not necessarily clean or comfortable lol. Also trains would go by every few hours, it didn’t bother us much but it could be annoying to some people. It was also veryyy cold in the mornings but that was due to going in spring. I can’t see it being a problem during the summer

Overall I really enjoyed this campsite, and the seclusion of it. I could see it having a lot more people later in the summer and on less rainy days so I’d recommend getting there early if you want a private site

We stayed a weekend in one of the many cabins at the Campground; pet friendly! The RV/Tent camping sites were closed. Cabin was stocked with minimal kitchen ware, we brought in our groceries, in the town of Hinton there are a couple of grocery stores; so easy access. There was a picnic table and satellite TV; to our surprise. Cabin had a fireplace, two bedrooms and one bath. Very quiet!

Thumbs up and we will likely stay there again, will look into bringing our TT to check out the RV/Tent areas.

Convenient to the Interstate!

One mile off the Interstate, but you would never know it! A large hill at the west side of the park blocks most of the noise. There's even cows on the hill! Super nice people that run it, as well as the campers visiting. Each campsite has a level space, shade, and picnic table. Full hook ups, including cable! There is a very clean pool, but it was not open. Just wish there was a wildlife area with flowers here….

Great campsite

It rained the entire time I was there, yet I still enjoyed my stay. Campsite was clean and the other campers were quiet. I spoke to one group who stayed Saturday night only and that was just in passing at the bathroom. Cell reception is scarce, but that's not a problem, just an observation.

Great campsite

Great views over Burkes Garden

We've made this hike several times with our dogs. It is a great shorter hike with great views over Burkes Garden (nicknamed God's Thumbprint). At the top is a clearing where camping is possible. There is a shelter at the top; this location is located along the Appalachian Trail and has wodden bunks and single platforms for pads and sleeping bags. There is also a fire pit located outside the shelter.

Right on the river

This was the first campsite my wife and I stayed at together. We were still in college and decided to try camping for the first time. It was excellent. Being newbies we enjoyed the outlet access and WiFi. This campground is right on the new river and has great tubing kayaking and fishing accommodations.

Clean quiet and friendly

We took our puppy on his first camping trip here. Every camping spot had plenty of space. Our spot included a grill and campsite. There is also a camping manager type person who drives around and sells firewood and helps answer any questions. There are bathroom facilities located in the middle of the area. The camping spot is about a 15 minute walk to the lake or a very short drive. We will definitely be staying here again!

Absolutely awesome. Very clean and lots for kids to do.

Very clean campground. Has nice pool with waterside and game room with bowling and food and much more. The owners are the best people as well. They are so good to out camping club. Our favorite place.

State Park with Hiking, Water Sports, and Lots of Amenities

If you are looking for a state park with the amenities of a national franchise campground, look no further. I was surprised during our stay in this park. The sites are level and many are shaded. Although we are tent campers, RV campers WILL NOT be disappointed. While we were there, we were able to check out other sites before the season has gotten into full swing. There is even an area for group primitive camping. There is a complete marina for motor boats, and you can feel at ease launching your kayak as well. I didn't take my kayaks this time, but I plan to in the future. There is a swimming beach and group picnic shelters as well. I believe, if I am not mistaken, there is also a conference center. For the RVers, there is a dump station at the campground. The bath house was a pleasant surprise. I was expecting it to be like the bath houses at state parks I have visited before with bare concrete floors and cold water showers, if any at all. The bath house we used had tiled floor showers and marble/granite counter tops. I highly recommend Claytor Lake, and I will be back!

Free Campground

Free campground. Fire circles. Nice gravel RV spots. 2 accessible sites. Pit toilets. Very close to the New River, nice beach access. No one else was there on our visit in April.

Great campground

Wonderful area! We can camp and the campsite was level. Clean bathrooms. Trails are marked well. Beach area is large.

Popular summer camper location.

Lake Stephens Campground is a popular location for residents of Beckley (and surrounding areas) to park their RV’s/campers, for extended periods of time, as an easy getaway. The RV/camper area consists of a large circle of campsites that are very close to each other. The common area in the middle has a playground, restroom/showers, vending machines and some field area to play. The RV area seems to have grown into a very friendly community. They have regularly scheduled events like movie night, and they even host a “trick-or-treat” event each year that attracts hundreds. Amongst other things, the park has picnic areas, a beach with a sectioned off swimming area, a small water park area, and several hiking trails.

Fun Times

This camp ground has a pond with inflatables for fun & a beach area. Everyone has to wear a life jacket which is kind of a pain. The campground is spread around a really big area but it’s very hill-y. Beautiful area. Close to store & restaurants. Staff very friendly. A little pricey but worth it. I’ve stayed here several times & already have a trip booked this summer.

Other campgrounds have more to offer

Nice and quiet but no amenities. The bathrooms weren’t in any where close to great shape. The sites are pretty close. The staff is really nice though.

Great for rustic camping

We had a nice site near a stream and close to the bathrooms however, even though the campground is open year round, the bathrooms are not. We were told there was one open bathroom however it was not made clear this was 1-2 miles away which was not exactly convenient. Rustic camping is fine when we have planned for it. Early in the morning (around 7) workers arrived to work on the closed bathrooms for the opening in a few weeks. The website information is not accurate so definitely call (we were told when we called that the website is several years out of date). It seems like it would be great during regular season.

Basic Camping

Primitive tent camping with spacious sites, RV and cabins too; friendly staff, small bathhouse and small gift shop; cute and earthy pub and grill with live music; offer rafting adventures and horseback riding.

The rafting trip was fun, but we took the double express trip which means you do the same ride twice in one day- I don't recommend this as I was bored the second round. Athough the check-in attendant was very nice, he "didn't get around to" chopping any firewood, so he sent me to a neighboring campground to buy some. Since bringing outside/foreign wood is not allowed, I was extremely annoyed (and hungry) when I had to stop at 3 different places to find/buy some. I will not be booking another stay here.

Great Company

This clean and spacious campground lends itself to white water rafting enthusiasts, offering various guided trips down the New and Gauley rivers. The campground has its own hiking/biking trails and zip line canopy tours. It also offers horseback riding and ATV tours. Tent camping is primitive, but the bathhouse is clean and efficient. Luxury cabins, lodges, bunkhouses, and cute Safari tents are available. There is a pool and hot tub near the well equipped gift shop, and the Red Dog Saloon and Grill for when you need a break from camp food. We had a blast on our rafting trip and truly enjoyed our stay.

Suitable for a weekend

Stayed here for 2 nights to be near our son at Virginia Tech plus we try to tour as many cavers as possible. Its an old campground but that's not always a bad thing. Could hear traffic because we were right under it. Toured Dixie Caverns. Unless you can climb 30 flights of stairs best not to go. Not that interesting. Like climbing a silo and climbing down the other side. But able to check off another one. Its an experience!

Secluded Riverside campsite

Tucked away by the river past Thurmond. Great secluded sites. Trailhead for hiking from camp. A bit of a drive to visit any of the sites around New River but worth it to be away from it all. 6 sites all walk-in first come first serve. We were there in fall so no crowds at all. primitive, beautiful, and, a hidden gem

nice little AT shelter

I stayed at this AT shelter when I was doing a section hike with some friends. It's not bad as far as shelters on the AT go. There is not a water source too close to the shelter. The closest one is about 3 miles North. The sites aren't bad though, pretty flat. There is also a wooden shelter maintained by the AT, but those aren't my favorite to sleep in. Seemed nice as far as they go though.

I was hiking a little section that includes Mcafee Knob, one of the most photographed spots on the AT. This spot is really awesome. It can also just be done as a day hike, so I recommend it to anyone who doesn't mind a 8ish mile hike. Another cool thing about this area is that there's some fairly nice bouldering to be found near the top. Some of the routes are a little under maintained and mossy, but there are some fun ones. Lugging a crash pad all the way to the top isn't the most fun, but worth it if you want to get some cool bouldering in.

Good times

Had a great time. Staff friendly, tubing fun.

Awesome first night

It has tent and RV camping. The managers are really nice and you’re not that far way from several attractions. Some really great beer places close by as well. Nice a shady too. I’d like to go back and do some exploring around the area. Just be careful with what gps app you use. Mine took me an interesting route that ended in someone’s drive way.

Nice campground - great for climbers especially!

This is a very well thought out campground and is a great option for climbers visiting the area. each site has a wooden tent platform (10'x10') to set up on, which is a huge plus since the ground is so uneven throughout. Each site has a picnic table and a parking space as well.

There aren't group sites available, but whoever in our group was organizing managed to get multiple sites next to each other, which was nice.

We ended up doing all of our cooking and eating in the big covered communal porch on the shower house with lights and big kitchen sinks for cleaning up as it was a very rainy weekend. It's handy to be able to cut through from the lower to the upper sites on little foot trails to get to the common areas.

Showers are quarter operated but I was too much of a cheapskate to partake. But the facilities were clean!

Great Camp Close To Many Historic Sites - Targeted For RVs

I was traveling in this area and was really excited to have found that there is a town called Austinville where Stephen F Austin, a founder of Texas, originated. While driving out to the monument in his honor I found this site and loved what I saw!

Highway access to this area is easy for all types of traveler. there are several stores in the area with just about anything you could need or want only moments away from camp and if you are there in late summer when I was, the sun rises are amazing!!!!

So what is the catch?? Well they don't accept tents!!! NOOOOOO!! I didn't find a single thing about that online when I checked their site following finding out this knowledge, however I did like this site enough to still give them a positive review because they were so nice, their facility was ample and their proximity itself.

In fact, they were so nice they gave me a tour of the campground even though I couldn't stay and gave me some great info about places around me which led me to another campground that served me perfect, a tent campground nearby.

This site has a very nice restroom with multiple sinks, a large laundry room perfect for a camper who is on the road for a while like myself. I noticed there was a very nice pool which is heated, allowing it to be open much longer than many campgrounds in the area. There is a large pet area and also playground and several hiking areas in the direct area which all looked nice.

Nearby are numerous state parks as a part of the New River Trail including the Shot Tower Historical Site which is a very short distance away. In addition, people often come here to watch the birds and deer, which are very relaxing.

Should I return with an RV I also inquired about the rates which are reasonable at $35 for standard hook ups and they do have weekly rates also. I did notice what appeared to be a few long term campers but their areas still looked kept and maintained.

TIPS:

• Call in advance if you will be arriving late in the evening. The management lives on property and will make arrangements to meet you.
  • Take advantage of the historic Wrythesville walking tour, you can get information about this in the office and it is WELL WORTH IT!!
Loved The Grounds!!

Ever wake up on a foggy Virginia morning and walk only a few feet fro your tent and watch the fog rise off the water? I DID and it was AMAZING!!

This place is pretty amazing, it is used for camping but also for day use depending on what area of the park you travel toward. There is a historic site with great information, a boat ramp and launch area which is spacious, playgrounds, horse stables, pavilion, canoe area and on site security to make sure your stay is safe and enjoyable.

Reservations are preferred however they do have same day availability some times. You do need to make sure you display your paperwork on your dash to confirm your parking in the lot before hiking into your site itself. If you don't like carrying your things in, this is not the camp for you! You will be required to carry your things into your site, however there is a nice paved walking area for you to do so.

My site was close to the main entrance, so no biggie!

This is pretty bare bones camping, no electrical, no RVs, no flush toilets. But there is drinking water available and also each site is equipped with the standard picnic table and fire ring.

There was a store on site but I never went in so I am not sure about what all they have, being kind of removed from town I just went ahead and brought my goods in.

While I was here I did see a lot of nature roaming and loved it!! They did let me know it gets pretty crazy during prime season and weekends can be a bit tough as well.

TIPS:

• Book online in advance!!
  • Bring your canoe, there is an island you can row across to and enjoy just a few hundred yards from camp. Well worth the exploration!!
Relaxing area

Plum Orchard Lake is a wildlife management area with rustic tent and camper sites. You do need to obtain a permit from the manager. This is a beautiful area with plenty of fishing and hiking areas within a 20 mile radius or so. The trees are a beautiful array of color - greens, reds and yellows. The lake is good for swimming but you’re welcome to bring your boat, kayak or canoe too. We took a couple day trips around too. We were able to see deer, raccoons and some nice looking birds.

Wonderfu Campground,Cabins & Cabin Area

My family stayed in a cabin last week in this state forest and checked out the campground. Our cabin was charming and immaculate! The very large bathroom had amazing white towels all folded and hung over towel bars like a nice hotel. The kitchen was very well equipped. Each bed had sheets, a very soft wool blanket, and a quilt and nice pillows. The cabin had a fireplace for heat (free firewood) and two AC units (bedroom/living room) and a ceiling fan in the LR. The cabin area is so beautiful! While there are 14 cabins, they are spread out enough that you don’t feel like they’re too close. Most are under trees. Each cabin has a grill and a fire pit, and there at least three larger ‘community’ fire pits trough the cabin area. Our cabin and others are pet friendly!!! The only issue with the cabin was the beds. They were both very uncomfortable. One was a new fold out couch.

The campground was very wooded and seemed at first to be more like most rustic campgrounds in appearance, but it does, in fact, have electric at some sites. There are pull through sites, camper/tent sites and tent only sites. It’s beautiful, and I hope to camp there this fall!

There are many hiking trails throughout the park and a nice pool. The cabin and camping areas are pretty far from the pool area. Guests in either area would more than likely drive to the pool.

This state forest is within five minutes or so from a four lane highway (64) and several restaurants (Subway, Wendy’s, McDonald’s and a privately owned one) and gas stations. A Food Lion grocery store is about 15 minutes away in White Sulfur Springs, and there’s a hospital about 15 min away in Lewisburg, recently voted the Coolest Small Town in America! While this forest is very close to convenient amenities, we still felt away from the hustle and bustle of life.

Top of the world

beautiful mountain top camping at Ace! peaceful, spacious and unmatched scenery. hiking trails all over the mountain and a fun water park a the end. waterpark is a bit overpriced but fun none the less.

definitely recommend - shower houses are clean and have good water pressure!

Nicely kept RV spots. Conveniently located bath house. We got sites right next to our friends where we wanted to be. The lake and beach area were beautiful. Sand was soft and very clean. Free entrance to the beach while staying at the campground which is nice. We would definitely stay again if we were passing through.