Bluestone Lake, WEST VIRGINIA
Most Recent Bluestone Lake Camping Reviews
Phenomenal campground!

A great out of the way location. A bit of a drive in but worth the travel. Extremely clean and well maintained facility. Peaceful and level spots. The hosts are awesome and a great place to relax with no cell phone coverage or WiFi. Rent some kayaks and enjoy nature. We will be back.

First stay

This campground was very nice and very clean. The staff was awesome. Spots were nice. Campground was small but quaint. The falls are easily accessible and were beautiful even without an abundance of water. Very relaxing stay…

Great little campground near Mt Hope, WV and near BSA's "Summit"

We had a great time at this campground. Very close to the BSA's"Summit Bechtel" site, where they hold the National Jamborees and held the 2019 World Scout Jamboree. As such, people registered for the full event stayed there, and those of us coming for just a few days stayed at other nearby places, such as Rifrafters. The camp was(understandably) filled with others coming for the Jamboree.:-)

Campsite was good and clean; short walk for all to the bath house; they ha a small playground, which the kids loved. They have wood for sale, as well as basic camping and food supplies(cans of beans, marshmallows, peanut butter, sodas/pop/cola, etc, lighters/matches, ice, etc). Also had 2 super-lovey kittens living in the office, which were a big hit with everyone.

The only downsite was that our campsite(#7) had no place for a tent other than stone driveway-like ground. As such, even new, very strong tent stakes bend and do not go in at all…had to weigh the tend down with gear and hope for no super-high gusts of wind.

Other than that, it was a great experience! Checkout by 12 noon at the latest.

Tent sites on the river

Tent sites on the river, RV sites, RV and cabin rentals and float trips. Lots of space for kids to play.

Southern Gospel Non-Profit Camp

The God's Wilderness Campground wasn't much to brag about, but the couple who run this Christian-themed camp are super-religious, good-hearted people who live full-time on Paradise Island.

Priscella Cline Smith and her husband host a lot of church groups, revivals and Southern Gospel sings, but they also welcome tent, RV and ATV campers looking for cheap accommodations near the Hatfield-McCoy Trail system

The campground offers tent camping,  hook-ups for RV's, and lodging in facilities with names such as "The Upper Room Inn," "The New Testament Bunkhouse," and "The Vineyard Bungalow."  I went for the primitive option at $7.00/night and camped next to the Guyandotte River which is known for its good fishing.

They have some interesting oddities here such as the Teepee Chapel, the "Jesus Praying in the Rock" stone, and the "Passion Trail" portraying Christ's birth, ministry and resurrection.

To find Paradise Island, WV, set your GPS for 777 Paradise Island Verner, WV 25650

If you camp here, I recommend a side-trip to Matewan, WV, a historic town know for the "Matewan Massacre" where abused miners revolted against coal barons and their security thugs.  You can actually see bullet-holes and slugs in the walls around town where Sheriff Sid Hatfield and armed miners shot and killed seven coalmine detectives who came to town with eviction notices for miners trying to organize a union.

Fantastic campground hosts

Staff was excellent, had a great time camping and rafting. Bath house was clean. Will definitely come back again.

Awesome

We were there 4 days extremely peaceful ..only one other camper .. not much shade but beautiful night sky !! Minimal cell service .. 1 mile curvy mountain climb to get here but our 30 ft class A made it just fine !!

Not bad

Nice place in my hometown. Disconnect between the park headquarters and campground check in. Was told no golf carts on campgrounds per the host. However, HQ has written guidelines stating all vehicles must be licensed. Some rules enforced, others are not. Overall we would stay again.

Quiet and Peaceful

Great park. Nice playgrounds clean lots 30 and 50 amp service as well as boondock sites. Waterfalls are easily accessible. Did notice people leaving trash and clothing around them. Garbage cans are all over but people just don't care.

Awesome piece of Heaven!

An extremely clean, well maintained campground with something for everyone. We pull a 38’ fifth wheel and had no problems getting into our creek side space. Great hiking trail and loved not having cell service…we will be back!

Awesome piece of Heaven!

Very nice

Stayed here for a couple of nights. Lots to do: bowling, pool, and many planned activities for the kids. Restaurant at the bowling alley. Really large pull through site.

Wooded tent campsites

Stayed here 2 nights with all our children and grandchildren. We had a great couple days with rain at times. Site was large with lots of trees. Seth was very friendly and helpful. This is a nonelectric site campground and I found that appealing. There are flush toilets and showers. We hiked Endless Wall Trail and Glade Creek Trail to Kate’s Falls

Great place to camp

Family friendly with lots of family activities. Very helpful and friendly staff.

Mountain view

Stayed for 8 days. Arrived for first night on site 7. It had alot to be desired. Although it backed into the woods as soon as we stepped off our steps it was on the ledge of the pad. We moved the next morning to site 9. Site was much better and with a little more room for hanging out. Electrical hook up was on the opposite side of where they should be and in the middle of the small area. Water pressure was good and there was sewage hookups. Overall the full hookup sites , though we're not horrible they are very out dated for the newer larger rigs. Tent are was super nice and the area with just water and electrical could use upgradeing. Plenty of hiking trails but many are muddy messes due to being shared with the horses. If you are camping you have to pay to use the pool at the lodge. Also there are inflatables in a lake, also must pay. Outside of the veiws the highlight of our stay was when we treated ourselves to dinner at the Mountain Creek dinning room. You take a tram ride down and if you eat you get to ride back up for free, normally $7 per person. They have put put, horseback riding swimming pool, and at the lake. A nature center and. hiking trails. Overall had a nice week and recommend the park.

Best Family Camping Experience

Babcock State Park is one of the greatest parks in West Virginia. Most people come to see the grist mill, and it’s nice, but if that’s all you do your missing out.

For starters, most of the sites at the campground are great: fairly flat with soft ground and good tree coverage. The campground is split by Old Clifftop Rd, with the majority of the campground south of the road. We stayed on Site 15 (non-electric site), which I thought was one of the best sites. The campground was quiet, family-friendly, and clean. Some of the campsites were small and right on top of each other.

The campground is served by one bathhouse, centrally located in the middle of it. The bathhouse was fairly clean but well-used and includes flush toilets, showers, and hot water. A fairly new playground sits right next to the bathhouse. All the equipment was well-maintained and freshly mulched. Our site was close enough to the playground that we let our seven-year-old go by herself, since we could still hear her.

We only hiked on two trails, but it was some of the most fun hiking I’ve ever done. Mann’s Creek Gorge Trail is a two-mile walk from the campground to Camp Washington Carver. About a quarter of a mile you come the creek with a great swimming hole. We didn’t make it past the swimming hole but I’m looking forward to finishing the trail in the future. Island-In-the-Sky is a great climb through a tunnel of rhododendron that eventually winds up and around a rock shelf. To get to the top you have to climb up a couple ladders and over rocks. There are also several spurs off the trail that lead to overlooks and one that leads to a good size cave the size of the room.

I highly recommend that anyone looking to camp in the Fayetteville-area consider Babcock, you won’t be disappointed.

Beautiful swimming hole!

Beautiful swimming hole! Great hiking trails! Fishing!

Super Clean and Nice!

Camp Creek State Park is well-managed and beautifully-maintained with an active foundation that raises money for cool stuff like the conversation fire pit with swings, located in the Mash Fork Campground, which is only 2-miles of the I-77 at exit 20 in Mercer County, WV.

Mash Fork is one of four campgrounds at Camp Creek  State Park which all offer picnic tables, grills and fire rings.  Mash Fork has RV and tent sites:  9 sites with electricity, 8 sites with electricity and water, or 9 sites with electricity, water and sewer.  The bathhouses are super nice, there's free WiFi, and they sell exceptionally generous bundles of firewood which the camp host will personally deliver to your site.

There's a small store in the Mash Fork Campground with camping supplies and some souvenirs.  Make sure you check the cooler for local free-range chicken eggs… Yum!

If you're looking for more rustic tent camping, head to the Blue Jay Campground.  If you're a horse owner, the Double C Horse and Rider Camp has 2, 4, or 6 horse occupancy sites all within the 6,000 acre Camp Creek State Park and Forest.

Camp Creek State Park has two beautiful waterfalls.  You can drive to both, but Mash Creek Falls is a short walk from the Mash Fork campground, so make sure you check it out. Campbell Creek Falls has a deep pool at the bottom where you can swim.  Camp Creek is stocked with trout in the spring, so expect to see lots of fishermen along the banks.

If you have time, you can check out 33-miles of trails which are loaded with wildflowers in the spring.

*A little local trivia:  Mash Fork gives you a hint about the area's moonshining past… wink, wink!

Ranger Review - Red Ledge Raincoat at Why Be Square?! Yurt

Campground Review:

Why Be Square?! Yurt is found in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia, about 25 minutes from Floyd VA.  This yurt was simply spectacular in every way!  My family has never stayed at a yurt and I repeatedly told our children that this was NOT a normal yurt -this was a castle yurt and no other yurt that we ever stayed at would look like this yurt….yet I think they will simply be disappointed in any future yurt stay for their lives!

Why Be Square?! Yurt was down a long dirt road - as are so many magical spaces we find!  We were excited as soon as the pavement stopped and the dirt road started - leading to the green gate. We pulled past the green gate and noticed beautiful flowers and wild blueberries - which were delicious!  We pulled around the circle, passing the fenced in dog area (with a heated dog house - with dog beds!) and passed the yellow yurt parking in front of our turquoise/maroon yurt.  We were very excited by the homey feel from the driveway and eclectic artwork found outside!

Upon entering, we saw the full kitchen to the right, with a gas stove, sink and full sized fridge.  Condiments were left in the fridge, and cabinets (like sugar, tea, spices, etc.) and there was even an honor system beverage bar in the fridge!  Opposite the kitchen was a desk and coat rack and the first bedroom with bookshelves full of diverse books.  On this level was also the living room, the bathroom (with clawfoot tub) and the stackable washer/dryer.  We walked outside on the porch and it felt like we were in a tree house!  We could see nothing but leaves and tree trunks in all directions - such peaceful beauty!

We continued exploring by walking upstairs in the loft.  The loft consists of a futon (sleeps 2) and an extra extra large bean bag (happily slept 1 kid) and several keyboards and a rainstick.  The kiddos loved playing up here with the huge skylight above.  Walking down the stairs, we knew there was another floor to discover, so we walked down to the basement.  Walking down the stairs felt like entering a castle, with brick walls and a large closet.  There was a bed and desk with a beautiful tree house view from this level as well.  Walking out from the basement was the entrance to the "guest yurt" which had a large extra comfy bed, a dresser, closet, fireplace and the biggest sitting chair you have ever seen - at least 6 feet tall - that sat 2 or 3 adults with feet hardly touching the ottoman - felt like the magical chair from Alice and Wonderland!  We immediately all felt like kids sitting in this oversized chair and enjoyed the view from this yurt as well.

Our weather was less than great - but as soon as the electrical storm passed, our kids wanted to try the zipline.  So one kid would pull the zipline to the platform, where another kid would be waiting at the top on a chair.  That child would sit on the wood and hold on to the rope and zip away!  Hours of fun - one of our kids said they wanted to come back for their birthday!

We had the most delightful time at this yurt.  We agreed that we would need to stay here four nights and sleep in all four beds as each magical room presents a new perspective and such different feel.  We will surely be back - and we can easily see how this yurt stays booked!

Product Review:

As a ranger for The Dyrt, I get to test products.  At Why Be Square!? Yurt, I was able to test my new Red Ledge women's free rein jacket https://www.redledge.com/.  I loved the feel of my waterproof jacket while having a long sleeve shirt on.  I liked the adjustable cuffs and hood options.  I was out at one point having completely zipped my jacket but not flapped the velcro and my shirt was damp when I came in.  Later, I completely zipped my jacket and used the velcro to my chin and my shirt stayed dry.  This jacket fits a bit longer than my old rain jacket and I was very pleased with the sizing.  This is an afforable, waterproof option that I am thankful to have!

Quiet & comfortable

Very quiet, sand bottom site areas right on the water. Bathrooms need extreme cleaning smelled badly. Plenty of Deadwood for the fire pits.

Best free camping, HANDS DOWN

Close to any store you may need, flat & comfortable sites, no bath house but potties are very convenient. Whether you're fishing, rafting, swimming or kayaking there's plenty of options here!

Babcock

Nice campground. The park is spectacular. The most photographed place in west Virginia is the grist mill. Awesome trails all around.

Glade creek

One of my favorite places on this planet. The second oldest river in the world new river meet glade creek at the campgrounds. This place has trails that are to die for. An old railroad runs by glade creek and it is incredible.

Awesome!!!

This place is amazing!! Dog park needs to be updated but the fact they had a dog park was amazing. There was live music, karaoke, candy scavenger hunts for kids, even a bowling ally! I recommend this 100%

Secluded, peaceful sites by the river

I loved the experience I had at stone cliff. The camp sites are well marked and maintained. There are some right on the river and a couple more set back closer to the trail. Great spot to set up a hammock, go swimming, or walk on the nearby trails if you aren’t climbing.

Even with the rainy weather the area wasn’t too muddy and the campsite we stayed at was level so there wasn’t any issue.

There were 2-3 other groups there and it still felt secluded with the sites distance from each other and the wooded area. There’s several easy to access trash cans, a picnic area, and plenty of parking as well.

My dog absolutely loved it-the swimming was A+ and the stick selection was up to her standards 😂

One of My Favorite Places...

This park is quiet, secluded and has plenty of trails to hike! The site I use exclusively has a river running behind it and the sounds lull you to sleep any time of day!

There is a general store that has just about anything you'd need in a pinch to get by. ABSOLUTELY LOVE this park.

Mountaintop and Trailside

Great location to the trails! Hatfield McCoy and the Outlaws!

War Ridge is beautiful!

I am currently at War Ridge and it is splendid. I am alone up here (no other campers) and the night sky is amazing. Perk: you have cell signal. It is quiet and peaceful and the view is amazing. 10/10 highly recommend. I would add a picture, but it's dark right now and you can't see much but the stars.

Just what my soul needed

A wonderful, peaceful and beautiful park. The campground is very nice and well kept! We enjoyed hiking the trails, swimming in the lake and sitting by our campfire. The ladies working at the check-in office were absolutely the sweetest and extremely helpful. We had a great time and will definitely return!

Mountain top marvel

We stayed in their tent camping site, and there were plenty fire pits and picnic tables, but it was a little unclear where the sites started and ended. Spectacular views, lots of wildlife, but the shower facilities had temperature problems. They offer a lot of activities if you want to have guided tours and are really close to numerous hiking trails you can do on your own.