the dyrt
Barboursville, WEST VIRGINIA
Most Recent Barboursville Camping Reviews
Quiet and beautiful

The campground has some really nice sites. Most are pretty level, but bring some blocks just in case. Some of the campsites are shaded and some are directly in the sun (18, 19, 21, 22, & 23). There was one (20) that you parked on beside the road and had to go down stairs to get to your picnic table and fire pit. We stayed on 15 at the end of a loop, kind of secluded. I definitely liked the loop that had sites 1 thru 15. Ours was further from the shower house (which was clean and typical of a state park), but there was a flushing bathroom at the end of the loop for our use. Nice hiking trails and beautiful scenery. There was a boat in campground closer to the lake. The trails led down to the lake at spots. The boat ramp was just a short drive over the hill and easy access. Fishing was great. We caught catfish, bass, bluegill, and crappie. Hosts were wonderful. We camped in a tent, but will return in our camper next summer.

Still our favorite in KY

Great sites, clean bath houses, and awesome lake and marina.

KOA

We stayed for an overnight. Site was NOT very level. On gravel. Picnic tables and fire ring. Didn't appreciate the grill in the next site (thought it was too close to us). We were in Site #8. Not sure what all is around here. Easy off and on to I-64 - far enough from highway so you don't hear it.

Roadside

Its called roadside for reason. It ok for 1 or 2 nights. The bathrooms locked at night no showers. It is on river nice playground and across street from restraints and stores

Good Campground

Greenbo is a good campground that we’ve come to years, and over the last few it keeps getting better. Bathhouses are clean and maintained really well, good selection of primitive, electric and water, and full hook up sites. A nice lake for fishing, trails and a nice lodge with good food.

Close to home

I have stayed at this park numerous times, in tents and camper. The history of the area is really interesting and if you're lucky enough to talk with the park manager he'll be happy to give you a little house coal history. I've heard rumor however that the park is losing funding. Great hiking and biking trails. Loved going through the creek!

Quiet country setting close to town

Kanawha State Forest is a great place close enough to town if you need something but situated in a nice quiet country setting surrounded by a beautiful forest. Camping offers electric and water at most sites with a couple nice bathhouses. Each site has a picnic table and fire pit. There is a public pool with reasonable rates and great food, small areas to fish, a free shooting range and tons of hiking trails. There is a horse stable but we did not visit it. The kids loved wading and rafting in the creek and the playground areas.

Enjoyed our stay

Park was nice, clean and has friendly staff. We liked that we could walk to the bathrooms and not have to drive there. We stayed at site 100 and really enjoyed the shade trees. Showers are small but they work and there are only 3 stalls of toilets and 3 showers ( I believe) in the women’s side- unsure of men’s. Plenty to do, including a playground, pool, miniature golf, bike riding, horse back riding, hiking, etc. All sites have a picnic table and a grate over the fire pit. Water wells are easily accessible and they have washers and dryers as well. Check-in location was a bit confusing but eventually figured it out.

awesome

great place to camp and kayak. must camp 150ft from the trail. no cell service.beautiful park

Great Eperience

Overall great experience. Stayed at the yogi bear resort in Mount Gilead. I did not like the campsite it was all pea gravel and no grass for our two dogs that we brought. The staff were all great and the park was kept clean. There was tons of activities for kids all day every day that the majority of them were free. Great experience.

hidden jewel

on the hill! this park was great. it was rainy so they moved us to this great spot on the hill. nice bathhouse even though not clean at the time. it is isolated with tight hairpin turn so I wouldn't recommend anything over 28'. they have a nice target range and trails

Beautiful, close to home

KSF is absolutely gorgeous! Whether you are taking a day trip for hiking or staying a few days, it is absolutely one of my favorite places to be.

Clean

Very clean and private campsites

One of our favorites

This is our favorite campground, it’s small, quiet, very clean and site are not crammed together.

Great!

Most of the sites shaded and separated by trees. Love the privacy this provides. Our favorite “close to home campground”!

Beautiful Campground

Love this place!

good campground

something for everyone ,rv to tent camping…also cabins and a lodge is available for reservations. great dinning at lodge. wonderful hiking trails…And cave tours.

Lovely valley surrounded by mountians

This campground offers a handful of trails easy to moderate. Pretty lake with ducks everywhere, as well as geese. Saw many deer through out our stay, even some beaters. Bathhouse is nice and laundry one spot. Oh and it was butterfly maiting season. There is also a creek that runs along the nature trail, which is a super shot walk, that was perfect for walking through or wading in the water. Although the further you get up steam from the lake the cleaner it gets, and bring water shoes there was a decent amount of glass.

By far my favorite place I've ever stayed at

Kanawha state forest campgrounds are top on my list of where I have stayed in the past. Tucked away in the middle of the mountains, surrounded by the constant reminder of wildlife around. I stayed for the very start of spring. The world was covered in the brightest green moss. The state park is not allowed to clear fallen trees unless they are in a road way or hazardous, this left many mossy green logs to lay across the mountains. This time of year was also perfect for the many overlook trails offered. Every single trail was more than what we expected. The staff members were extremely nice and accommodating. As long as you don't mind about being away from your cell reception during your stay, this place is highly recommened

June 25, 2018

Set up in drizzle around 5pm as first night of x country trip. SIte was small, narrow between road and small creek but had electrIc and water. Camp host came by and checked us in and was very nIce. Not bad for an over nIght, and a nIce walk In the woods before we left In the morning. good showers and quIet.

Quiet family oriented
  • Beautiful area of Kentucky Nice trails and great kayaking
Family Favorite - perfect weekend trip

My family and I love this campground and usually camp here a few times a year. There are always plenty of great spaces, we have never stayed at a spot that we didn't like. Spots are a good size and clean. The spots on the lake are our favorites, but are usually first to fill up. You won't be far from the lake wherever your spot is. The full hookup spots are in my opinion most crowded. I prefer the sites as you drive further into the park. Great for bike riding and lake activities. The land is flat and there are plenty of low traffic areas to ride. Boat rental fees are reasonable, you can travel to the marina for some boats but paddle boats and canoe rentals are within walking distance of your site. Some hiking is available also. The bathrooms are almost always clean and I have rarely had to wait for a shower. Pool is a decent size and discounted for campers. The camp store is usually well stocked with essentials that you don't want to go into town for, but town isn't so far away that it is impossible to get to anything. There is also a game room and a nice restroom in the lodge. Riding bikes here and hanging out on the edge of the lake is our favorite thing to do here though. They also have lots of organized activities for families.

Beautiful Scenery

Camper/RV sites are smaller than we are accustomed to. We thoroughly enjoyed the pools, hiking, and cave tours. All staff is incredibly thoughtful and polite. Bathrooms were clean.

No shower houses or flushing toilets Electric only sites

Great place

The campground hosts Bill and Gina are top notch. The facility is clean. There is stuff for your kids to do.

My favorite local campground

Very nice, well kept. Its our “go to“ for campIng!❤️

Lovely campground, nice shaded sites

MMy husband and I love it here

Great Weekend spot

Being only 5 hours from southern Indiana makes this spot a long weekend favorite. The camp store is always well stocked and the snack bar is a treat for ice cream. Buy firewood from the locals on the road outside of the park on your way in. The lake is huge and boat rental is reasonable and relaxing. Pick a spot in one of the Cove camping areas or go full hookup.

if there were more stars I’d give more

The Place to Kayak!! there’s no more need be said. oh I guess I forgot, The place to Hike!