Hockinson, WASHINGTON

Link to the App Store Link to Google Play
Most Recent Hockinson Camping Reviews
A Campground & Park For The Memory Book

CLICK HERE for FULL Video Review

A visit to Beacon Rock State Park is one for the memory book. Not only is the campground itself a woodland wonderland with winding paths through tall old growth forest areas, but the surrounding area of the park itself is impressive with exciting things to do around every corner.

Located along the Columbia River, the park has the asset of water activities while also the beauty of waterfall paths, public spaces ideal for family gatherings and of course the iconic Beacon Rock itself which towers above the surrounding area as one of the more unique look outs you will find.

I visited this park on a warm and blustery day. I started out hiking the Beacon Rock itself where I was impressed by the views and challenged by the ongoing ascent of the switchbacks. Following my challenge of the morning, I moved over the campground itself. Mid afternoon on a busy day, I expected to be turned away as the park was pretty crowded but instead I was impressed to find that the campground still had a few sites available and was able to settle into one for a few hours of R&R.

The sites were large enough to comfortably park my small car and have plenty of room to spread out. While I don’t see this camp being great for excessively large rigs, I did see a few smaller and mid sized units on the loop.

Sites were basically fitted with tables and fire rings while common spigots were located in several locations around camp for those needing water. Both trash and recycling receptacles were placed near the kiosk of camp, something which you will not find unless you travel all the way around the loop.

I enjoyed this site because of the access it had to the trail system beyond the Beacon Rock trail(which is located across the street from the camp). Several trails spur off the back side of the camp near an overflow parking area for those who need more than one car for their adventures.

Even as the camp filled up there was enough spacing that it didn’t seem to be loud and short of a few dogs barking here and there it was pretty quiet into the evening.

A centralized restroom and bath house was such a perk and justified the higher pricing of the site which I did feel was pretty high overall but somewhat fitting for the area. The showers were coin operated with every 3 minutes costing$0.50 a great investment after being on the road and staying at another campground previously which was having water issues which prevented me from being able to take a shower the night before. The showers were hot, the pressure was good and the overall impact of this was game changing!!!

Tips:

• Bear Warning- This area is a bear zone however you will not find bear boxes like you will at other campsites in the area. For this reason you need to come prepared and make sure you are able to secure your items in a safe way.
  • Other Campsites- There are several campsites beyond the mainly advertised loop. You can find these a bit further down the road and they offer RV hook ups and also equestrian camping. No Supplies No Problem- At this campsite you are only a short distance from town so if you do happen to forget something and need it the drive to a store or station is very short.
  • Cell Service- This is one of the few locations in the area I did have cell signal with AT&T!!
Gets the job done

Pretty much your standard little campground. Not too many sites or crowded at all. The area is beautiful obviously being near mount hood. Sites were roomy enough and there were toilets. Bummed there was no drinking water though.

Romona falls trail not too far from there was neat. I love Oregon camping

😎

Awesome spot

Very peaceful

Love that it is close to town and you feel like you are out in the woods.

Nice little State Park

Keeping in mind that we went during a rainy season (fall), this wasn’t a terrible place.

On the way to Mt St Helens, it is a nice base camp for exploring the area a bit, though we didn’t do much of that. I would certainly expect that we would the next trip here.

The good: Fairly Quiet. And that’s staying in the full service trailer area, which is more of a parking lot than a camp ground.

The bad: the loops are not clear on the direction of travel in this spot, and we had a fellow drag his trailer across the front bumper of my Jeep soon after I was backed in and settling the details of my placement. I’m not certain if he was traveling the correct way, but he didn’t have enough room to accomplish his mission and he definitely was traveling the opposite direction that I used to correctly back my trailer in.

Now he has a hole in his trailer which didn’t seem bother him as much as the twisted bracket on my bumper bothered me.

My brother and his wife tent camped on our site, and ended up swimming in rainwater overnight (the slope of the land didn’t help, but they have since also purchased an RV after this final tent experience).

This section also had no tree cover and was widely exposed to the elements.

I would definitely try this campground out again, but for now it was slightly disappointing.

Friendly, great location, awesome pool....

This is a great park, with laundry, pool sauna ,  fire pits, close to beach……

Nice Getaway for the day .

Been coming here since I was a child and I have always loved this place !!

Super Close to Portland, Basic Sites Near Road on Top of Each Other

I really, really expected to love this campground. It's one of (perhaps the) closest Oregon State Campground to Portland and I'd heard great things about it. It's also in the Columbia River Gorge, which is green, great, and beautiful. But the campground itself is just so-so. Okay sites terraced on top of each other right next to the road.

Pros: Great location, plenty of trees, and good prices ($17 tents and $26 for full hookup). Also flush toilets.

Cons: Right next to the road and sites are crammed in. Nothing really to do in the campground.

Tips: The walk-in tent sites look nice. Also, book well in advance. Very popular in the summer.

Basic Nice Smaller Campground at Cascade Locks

Smallish campground (15 or so spots) on a small "cliff" overlooking Cascade Locks. Spots are close together, surrounded by grass, with a small bathroom in the center of the lot. Tents are $25 per night, with several sites also available for a bit more for RVs with power and water. Reservations ($10 fee) are only accepted during the summer.

There's not much to do at all in the small campground, but there's a decent amount of places to explore right in the same area. Across a small street there's a playground, the Locks themselves, views of the Columbia River and even a museum.

Nice enough campground if you want to stay in the area for other activities, though no privacy at all between sites.

Lovely! Cute!

I’ve stayed at this camp ground a hand full of times. I live maybe 15 20 minutes away and it’s always great! The camp ground is a good size with many tent and RV sites. If you get the right spot it can be a very private experience and you could be close to the river. Otherwise some sites can be kinda small and close. But there’s many sites to chose from and gets pretty popular with a lot of traffic. Showers were recently re painted during last visit and the bathroom is ok.