About Hoodview

The Hoodview Campground sits on the shores of Timothy Lake, in the shadow of Oregon's Mt. Hood. The surrounding forest setting offers spectacular views, miles of trails for exploration and abundant fishing.

Recreation

Proximity to Timothy Lake allows campers to enjoy a variety of water-related recreation activities, including boating and sailing, as well as swimming, windsurfing and fishing. Anglers can expect a catch of kokanee salmon and a variety of trout. A range of trails are located in the area. The Timothy Lake Trail is popular for hiking, mountain biking and horseback riding. The 12 miles of relatively level terrain loops trekkers around the lake, providing scenic views of the area. It connects to the Pacific Crest National Scenic Trail, a lengthy hike that extends across three states, from the borders of Canada and Mexico. Portions of that trail also lead southwest to Clackamas Lake Campground. The Clackamas Lake Ranger Station Historic District is less than 3 miles from the campground. It was built to house forest service workers in the early 1900s. The rustic architecture and historic nature of the buildings and the surrounding area draws thousands of tourists each year.

Facilities

The campground offers dozens of single-family campsites for tent and RV camping. Each site is equipped with tables and campfire rings with grills. Accessible vault toilets and drinking water are provided. A campground host is also available on-site.

Natural Features

The campground is situated on the southeastern shore of the roughly 1,400-acre lake, at an elevation of 3,400 feet. Timothy Lake was created in 1956 as a storage reservoir for the Oak Grove Hydroelectric Project. It is one of the larger lakes in the Mt. Hood National Forest. The campground is nestled in a mixed conifer forest, with many sites with views of the water's edge, offering views of Mt. Hood. A thick understory of rhododendron bushes provide privacy between sites.

Nearby Attractions

Hoodview is about 28 miles from the base of majestic Mt. Hood, the highest point in Oregon. The historic Timberline Lodge in Government Camp offers scenic views of the snow-capped mountain.

Charges & Cancellations

A service fee will apply if you change or cancel your reservation. Late cancellations are subject to additional fees. For full details see Recreation.Gov, Rules & Reservation Policies.

ADA Access: N

Fee Info
Payment in-full will be charged to your credit card upon completion of the reservation. A non-refundable online reservation fee may be charged for some facilities.
Price
$18.00 - $22.00
National Forest
Hoodview is located in Oregon
Directions
From Sandy, Oregon, travel east on Highway 26 for approximately 40 miles to Skyline Road/Road 42. Turn right on Skyline Road and continue south for about 9 miles. Turn right on Forest Service Road 57 and travel west for 2 miles, then turn right again at the Hoodview Campground entrance sign.
10 Reviews of Hoodview
Beautiful Escape

Water so clear that you can see the fallen logs at the bottom of the lake.  Early morning paddling on the glass-like landscape awakens your senses.  Bring your crawdad catchers for some family fun and yummy treat at the end of a fun filled day of biking around the lake and lounging in the tepid water.

Beautiful View on Mt. Hood

Amazing view and hikes around the lake. Great for kids, dogs and adults!

Beautiful midweek camping

Headed up to Timothy Lake on a weekday afternoon and were rewarded with a water front site with amazing views of Mt. Hood. There was firewood to purchase for $6/bundle and the site cost us $20 for the night. There are a number of trails around the lake including one that is a long loop circling the entire lake.

Mt. Hood

My family has been camping in Hoodview @ Timothy Lake for over 30 years. We have 5 children & now 10 grandchildren who camp there on a regular basis. We LOVE this campground! Great views, boat ramp, day use, campsites right on the water, decent facilities. There are no hookups. There are water stations every other campsite or so. There is a 20 mile pretty level hiking trail that circles the lake. Lots of inlets for "play places".

One of my all time favorites!

PGE runs this park, very small & well kept. Same hosts for last several years, sadly my favorite spots are being removed for a walking trail in 2020 summer will never be the same 😔

Timothy Lake

My favorite campground to visit. The campground is well maintained even though it does get full. Book early though because it does get reserved through the summer. I wish the reservation system was done differently so you could camp there more often. https://youtu.be/aOKNZnNie0Y

Lots of fun to be had on the lake!

This is one of our favorite places. This was the fourth year we were here and we will be back again next year as well.

The campsite is clean and usually quiet. Having the same camp hosts is nice. (Poky and Tiz are great!)

Every year we seem to get a better spot and its always on the water. We like to scope out the other sites while we're there. So far #3 is my favorite. Its next to the day use and xlose to the bathroom. It was big enough for our three 6 person tents and all our other gear.

Can't wait for next year!

Gorgeous Views

If you want to visit a place that has the best views ever, then I would highly recommend Hoodview in Orgeon. It is within the Mt. Hood National Forest, and the views of Mt. Hood are spectacular. The campsite itself is near a beautiful lake, Timothy Lake. There are plenty of campsites that are on the edge of the lake, which is one of my favorite parts about this campground. Who doesn't love a lakeside view?! I brought my kayak and had some fun playing in the water during the mornings and late evenings (watch for mosquitoes at the lake- they are no joke!). I also brought my bike so I was able to ride on some really nice flat trails. I would highly recommend brining your bike if you like that activity. Hiking is also a big must if you enjoy that. There are some really great trails and hikes you can do close by the campground. The Timothy Lake Trail is very close by, and is a pretty popular/easy hike. If you want to go around the entire lake, that is close to 12 miles. I really love the campsites themselves, also. Each campsite has a table and fire ring which makes it nice for eating. My family loves doing smores at night, so the fire ring definitely came in handy for this. Another thing we really liked about this campground was that the Ranger Station was very close by. We were able to head here and get information on the best hikes and biking trails. The gentlemen we talked to was super nice and extremely helpful. From Hoodview Campground to the base of Mt. Hood it is about 35-40 miles. On our last day we decided to drive to Mt. Hood early in the morning to do some adventuring. Such a great experience, and a wonderful campground. I would highly recommend it!

Timothy Lake - Hoodview campground

This campground is 70+ miles from portland. The campground is nestled in the forest beside Timothy Lake and makes the scenery gorgeous. The bathroom is clean (beginning of the camp season) and our spot, site 10, was big enough to park two cars, one small trailer and a tent. A fire ring with grill and picnic tables are provided at our site. The only gripe, it is near the access road which can be a bit noisy.

Lake, Trails, and a fire

My family loves Timothy Lake. i grew up camping and now I take my family. We pitch our tent, cook over the fire, hike, swim, boat and fish. The view of the mountain is amazing and the many colors the mountain can turn at sunrise and sunset is stunning. 2 hours out of Portland just past Meadows once the snow has melted, which round these parts could be late summer. We camped with snow falling in early July!