Equestrian
Hike In
Garner State Park is located in Texas
41 Reviews of Garner State Park
Camping village

Garner is a perfect place to take the family and stay for weeks. In the summer they have tons of activists, a dance hall, restaurants, and a shopping center. The camping isn’t very rough due to all the amenities but it is a happy medium with lots to do.

Nice campsite with some amazing trails and ammendities

Garner State park is a fantastic State park located just west of San Antonio. When we went it was a bit chilly but perfect weather for camping. We were able to get a great campfire going and enjoy being out under the stars. We did quite a bit of hiking and Geocaching. I believe there was also water activities like fishing and swimming available, but we did not do that this trip.

Pros:

Loads of amenities. Showers, Restrooms, MiniGolf, Dances, Cabins, Open Areas!

Loads of amazing Trails. Some of my favorites so far with hugely varied terrain levels.

Shockingly good food truck

Loads of sovereign shops (Could be a con for some)

Lots of awesome and unique geocaches.

No Cell service so we were forced to unplug

Cons:

Checking in Sucked. It took almost 3 hours and was pitch black by the time we finally were given our reserved campsite.

No Cell Service making Geocaching tough but do-able.

Clean, beautiful, family- and pet-friendly

Lots of hiking opprtunities, beautiful river areas for swimming/paddling/fishing, amazing birding!

One of the best in Texas

This is an awesome park. Has so much to do you can’t get bored here. It has great elevated trails that once reached has beautiful views of the hill country, with cool caves along the way. The Frio River runs right through the park and is amazing to swim and float in. They have a full store and food truck if your not into cooking your own food. And summer nights they have music and dancing right next to the camp grounds which make it easy to walk right back to your tent after. One of my favorite places to camp with a big group of friends.

LOVE IT

My husband and I and our two dogs camped here over thanksgiving and it was a blast. the campsites are all far enough apart to have privacy. Hiking trailheads are located close to the campgrounds. Amazing scenery in the fall!

Family Times

Garner will forever hold a special place in my heart. I grew up going camping there with family and still go with friends to this day. The campsites are amazing and the Frio River is always refreshing. Getting a spot is tricky, since most of the sites are booked months in advance. But the cool thing is that most of the people that are there are large families that have been camping there for generations.

100% family oriented, and 100% great times!

Great spot, but can get a little crowded

Great location away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life. Beautiful campground with trails and the river to explore. In the winter the campground can get a bit chilly due to the river. Expect to see wildlife run through your campsite as we had deer in ours. The campsites can get crowded, so book early for the same spots. There is a small store in he camp ground, though the closest fuel station and full store is a good drive from the campsites.

A truly well designed park and campground

I just returned from my third time camping at Garner State Park. The first two times were on weekends, this time I went Sunday-Tuesday. I definitely recommend camping during the week if possible, as the park is quieter and less populated, but even on the weekends it isn’t overwhelming or crowded feeling, due to how well planned and spaced out the park is designed. If you can reserve a place in time, and are tent camping, I highly recommend the Pecan Grove campsites. They are sandwiched between the frio river and old baldy, and the main highlights of the park are all a short distance. The sites themselves are well spaced out, generally flat, grassy, and shaded by large pecan trees. They are water only, but this is a hurdle easily overcome by battery operated devices and portable chargers, which is what we have used. One warning I would give, the Park is something of a cellular dead spot, though most people get signal at the top of old baldy and some of the other trails at higher elevation. One person in our group was happy to do the half mile hike three times a day for signal! Others that had AT&T or Cricket (I think) had signal even down by the river and campground. There is WiFi available at the visitor center, though it is very slow. Reserve ahead of time, come early, and be ready to be somewhat off grid, and I promise camping at this park will rival some of your favorite spots.

Beautiful and peaceful

We have been going to Garner since I was a kid. We have stayed in the tent area and the cabin areas. Every day during the summer is a dance at night in the pavilion so bring your dancing shoes. The summer time is so busy at Garner so get there really early if you are going for a day trip. Cabins and campsites sell out months in advance. You can rent tubes but don't forget to bring old shoes for the water or your feet will hurt!

A Week @ Garner State Park

We went during spring break and although main areas could get pretty crowded their were many trails you could hike without seeing anyone and still get a spectacular view of the Hill Country. Plus after each hike you can celebrate it with a cool soak in the Frío River and a slow dance at night to the park store's jukebox. It's definitely a great place for the family.