Equestrian

Hike In
No WiFi
Cedar Hill State Park is located in Texas
28 Reviews of Cedar Hill State Park
Nice park for a homeschool day trip or hike

This trip to Cedar Hill State Park was for a homeschooling adventure, so we did not get a chance to do any camping. We took our co-op class here so we could show the kids some old houses and farming equipment they have at the park.

We went in December of 2019 so there were no leaves on the trees which made the park look kind of empty of nature. They had also recently done a controlled burn which also caused the park to look blackened and crispy. From this particular visit, I can't say that this park is somewhere I would recommend for trees or the view. It's possible that spring is a better time to visit this park, but I don't know personally.

Also, it is very close to the city so it isn't the quietest of parks either and light pollution probably doesn't allow for very dark nights or star viewing.

Overall I think the park is great for day trips with homeschools, but I probably wouldn't plan a trip to camp overnight.

One Night Stay

We stayed here on the last night of a two-week journey visiting national parks in the West. This just happened to be on our route back home to Louisiana and looked like a pleasant place for us to spend one night.

We arrived at the campground around 8:00 on a Friday night and had to wait in line to enter the park. The park ranger was very friendly and thorough (albeit slow giving directions for road-weary travelers such as us). We found site 123 in the H Loop easily (sites are clearly marked) and set up camp. We were impressed with the spacing and privacy of the sites. We had a slight peekaboo view of the lake and a beautiful sunset from the trailer. It took us a while to get our trailer leveled as the site was on a pretty big slant (four inches off left to right and eight inches front to back); however, the pad was concrete and quite wide.

A bathhouse and dumpster were nearby, which was a nice convenience. Hookups were in good condition as well. There was a small back yard with a covered picnic table, fire ring, and lantern post which we thought would be nice if we would have been here longer. This little area was very private from the road and a neighboring site. We would definitely stay here again when our travels take us this way in the future.

Great place central to Dallas

Great State park right off a main road close to Downtown Dallas (15 minutes to the North). Great clean sites that are on smooth roads. Make sure to check out the mountain biking if that’s your thing!

Nice place to stay

Pros: roomy spot for the camper, level, no issue with water or electric. We stayed in spot I-45 & it was close to the restroom & showers, which were clean & water was hot. The duck pond trail was nice, but I wasn’t impressed with the scenic overlook. Cons: The trail from our site to the water (200 ft) wasn’t cleared very well. High weeds & brush. The area near the water wasn’t a very good spot for fishing bc of the thick mud. Impossible to swim from our site.

First trip with the new travel trail

So we took out our new travel trailer out for its first quick trip. We made this one a short trip, and it was nice but here are a few things to know about the park. They don’t have a camp store for any of the odds and ends that you might have forgotten, so make sure you double check your lists before you leave home. They’ve got a firewood locker, but it’s by the headquarters at the front of the park. The site we stayed in (108 in loop H) would’ve been a lot better if you had a bunch of people you know camping together. It kind of circled around this communal feeling opening in the loop. We were able to fit our 32’ trailer with my f150 super crew next it to, kinda tightly. The weather was cool with the wind coming off the lake, so we broke out the solo stove!

Beautiful park

We stayed at two camp sites the 3 days I was there. Close to home and a lot of things to do in the area and at the park.

Park was nice and clean and quiet at night very peaceful. Bathrooms were decent.

Other than that was a nice park. Best time to visit is in the spring or fall for sure. It was a million degrees when we went so we spent most of the day n the water.

Very Cool SP

We just love Cedar Hill SP. Awesome trails for hiking.

Quiet. Nice.

I stayed in rv campsite 270 on a peninsula and a nice view of the water's edge. The roads in this park are absolutely terrible. The winds were high (over 20 mile and hour wind gusts). And it rained a lot.

I stayed during the week. Not a single other site was taken within 300 yards. Because of the recent rains, most of the trails were off limits. And they have a pretty bad argentinian ant problem this Fall. So, I didn't get to go hiking any. But, I bought some ant killer and sprinkled it around the perimeter of my pad and no ants in the RV!

Overall, it's nice. Well kept. And I was pretty much alone here for my entire 3 day stay.

Big and Beautiful

Had a great time at this park. The site was perfect and level. Grill and covered picnic table. Excellent for hiking and boating. You can’t go wrong with Cedar Hill State Park.

It’s okay

It’s okay but it’s too pricey for how small it is. Good representation of Texas wildlife and a good spot for family camping. Lots of traffic and places for rvs and such. Good trail system