The best BOAT IN camping near
Pendleton , SOUTH CAROLINA

This Black Friday Try Pro Free for 6 Months

Most Recent Pendleton Camping Reviews
Stunning scenery

We camped at Table Rock State Park in SC in October 2020. It's a beautiful park, clean and well maintained. The weekend was a little crazy. The park was packed and many sites were filled to overflowing. I'm glad we were able to stay past the weekend to enjoy the peace and quiet. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Kayak rentals are very inexpensive, but 30 - 60 minutes is all you'll need. They were a little short staffed due to Covid, so the check-in location near the campground was closed. We had to check in at the Visitor Center, which is quite inconvenient if you're towing a rig. But all in all, it was a great stay!

Another Stay - Favorite Site Yet

This is a second review after another week long stay at Mile Creek Campground. This time in a gravel spot #49.

Had 5G access entire time and easy to do business as digital nomads.

Have already spoken about how awesome this place is, but want to share inforabout site #49

This spot is the highest on the third "island" out from the mainland. It has epic 360 views. But, a lot of tree canopy and it is dirt/gravel. While the spot is very level, be very weary that the drive up to this spot is steep and curved, We barely made clearance with a 23' trailer that has a lift kit on it. This spot requires backup skills and the right equipment.

The tree canopy is nice, but when it rains, forest stuff sticks all over your rig, you'll be waxing off the debris and stains. Plus, you're solar is a no go here, but with electric and water hookups, solar not needed.

We also learned this is some really amazing mountain biking 25 minutes away in the Clemson Experimental Forest… the Isaqueena Trail system. Ranges from easy/intermediate to advanced when you get to the lower waterfall area in the southern part of the forest.

Gorgeous lake views

We loved our stay here! Highly recommend a trip here during late fall season, the weather was perfect and it wasn’t crowded. Bathrooms were very clean and easy to access.

Would recommend

Not as cramped & crowded as State parks. First loop is first come first serve, with sites closer to the beach side of lake, if you're there in the summer. However, the reserved sites on 2nd loop are more private & some offer good lake views. Bathrooms were plenty & decent. Hosts brought firewood by at check-in, available to purchase, very convenient. Cute rural Towns nearby for shopping & eating.

Very primitive

We had campsites TS1 & TS2 across the water. A few of us kayaked to our site while others hiked 3miles to our site. It was very quiet and we could barely see our neighbors. Our site was surrounded by trees, plenty of options for hammocking/pitching a tent. It does include a fire pit with a grill grate option. This was our 2nd time here and we will def continue camping here.

Great little campground

It was our first time camping here and I don’t think there is many bad sites in here. Some are closer than others, yes. But there is a view of the lake from every single site. The bathhouses are nice and have hot water and are heated. Everyone we have met has been very nice. Lots of family’s and lots of people with fur babies. We will definitely be coming back here.

My Favorite Campground in South Carolina

Having lived in South Carolina most my life, I haven't seen it all.. but have seen a lot of it. Mile Creek Campground is a string of 3 islands connect by narrow straights and surrounded by water. It's hard to get a spot here without great views of Lake Keowee and the Blueridge Mountains.

The spaces a are a mix of full concrete pads or gravel sites. We've stayed in several sites and while some are very close together (that RV park feeling), there are many which have lots of breathing room, and things feel more natural. The pics in this review are for site 51, which is on the "3rd island," which is the furthest out and offers the best views. This is a very level concrete spot and we only had to use the electric tongue jack on our trailer to level front to back. Got set up in under 5 minutes.

There is one oddity to some of the concrete sites. Because it's concrete, your fire pit is off to the side. And since most of the sites are raised, your fire pit may be level with the concrete pad, but you can't sit next to it as there is too much slope.

It's a county park and is well maintained. Bath houses are clean. With it having a public day use area with a nice boat dock, you can expect almost every morning @ 6am to hear the diehard fishing folks blasting out of the boat launch area.

We have Verizon and our cell signal has always been 4 to 5 bars on the outside third island.

All sites have 30amp electric and water hookups. Dump station at the front of campground entrance up on a hill. BE AWARE, pulling into the dump station is easy, but the steeper exit will have longer RV's and Trailers dragging their bag end on the asphalt.

We've always felt safe and relaxed here. And though we prefer more dispersed camping with less neighbors, this is still one of the best and most affordable ($25 in off season) places in South Carolina to camp.

We rarely give 5-stars, but due to the awesome views,  trees between the sites and being well wooded & surrounded by water… it really is a very nice place.

From what I can tell, all but two sites are back in. We had no problem backing in our 23'8" (total length) camper in.

Great Views

Recently stay at Lake Hartwell State Park and had a great time. Some of the sites are pretty close together, but we stayed at site 54 and our friends were at site 52. Both sites had nice tree cover and great views of the lake with plenty of space, close to the bath house. Lost power to our site during our stay, but the staff was quick to come out and fix the problem. It was very busy while we were there, but didn’t seem overly noisy. Definitely looking forward to going back.

Nice Place to Get Away from the Crowds

To get to this campground, you have to drive two and a half miles down a forest road, and then you hike about a third of a mile to the campsites. You have to backpack in and take everything you need. Make sure to take lots of water or a good water filter. When I first arrived, I was a little disappointed that the pit toilet was not open(I think perhaps due to the pandemic). The hike to the campsites is an easy, slightly downhill roadbed. When I went, it was the perfect time for the black-eyed susans to bloom, so it was a pretty hike.

This is a primitive campground, so there is no electricity, drinking water, or sewer hookups. However, it is peaceful, and if you want to get away from the conglomeration of RVs and tent campers, this is great.

When I got to my campsite, I was surprised to find a nice large picnic table and lantern pole. Most hike-in sites don’t have these amenities. There was also a hanging system for food since this place is in bear country. The thing I did not like was the gravel pad. It is a good thing I had a freestanding tent that didn’t require tent stakes. The site was really a good one with trees all around and the sounds of the creek, which is a tributary of the Chatooga River.

I was the only camper, which from what I understand is unusual. This is partly because school had started and it was during the week. This made it easy to gather firewood, but the wood was wet because of the recent rains. Fortunately, I had a little alcohol stove to cook my meals.

The reasons people come to this campground are because of access to water for fishing, the solitude, and King Creek waterfall. The trail to the waterfall is over a half mile (my estimation), and you have to cross a log footbridge. There was a huge downed tree that you also have to cross, but you have to be careful since the log was slimy.

Overall, this is a pretty good place to camp, but you can’t just run to your car if you forget something. Well, I guess you could, but it would be a third of a mile slightly uphill. All of your private hygiene has to be done backcountry also, which is not a problem if you are accustomed to backpacking.

This park is BEAUTIFUL!!

We camped here at Oconee, at site 7, on the Lake Loop, in the middle of May 2020. PERFECT!! We were able to pitch a tent AND had room for my tow vehicle and teardrop camper! The folks that run the Visitor Center were PHENOMENAL! Plenty of room, nice sun and shade areas, EXTREMELY clean bathrooms and bathhouses, wifi, MANY trails to walk and hike, and really awesome buildings and a man made lake, that were built by the CCC (Civilian Conservation Corps)! I HIGHLY recommend checking this place out, and camping here! We're planning another trip in the Spring!

You can also visit nearby Table Rock State Park, Bald Rock Heritage Preserve, and Riley Moore Falls!