Abbeville, SOUTH CAROLINA
Most Recent Abbeville Camping Reviews
Great amenities!

Calhoun Falls is one of 2 campgrounds on Lake Russell. There are over 80 campsites plus 14 tent sites which were all right on the lake. We were on tent site 8, and it looked like tent sites 0-5 had a little more privacy but a longer walk (The tent sites had a bathroom and an outdoor shower). We had a friendly little black snake that lived by our campsite but he didn’t bother us and we didn’t bother him 😊 Also, if you hear rustling around in the middle of the night, it’ll probably turn out to be an armadillo! The state park had a lot of amenities which were great for fishing-plenty of docks, boat ramps, a green-light fishing dock, a tackle loan program and even a fish cleaning area! We saw some nice sized bass by the green light dock. There were bathrooms and showers in almost every area, and a nice sandy beach swimming area. You have to drive or use a golf cart to get to other parts of the state park, otherwise it would be a very long walk. They do have 2 trails you can hike though. This was our first time camping at Calhoun Falls but we will definitely be coming back!

Beautiful lake!

We absolutely loved our large site, right on the lake.  #82 was amazing!  There were even a couple wooden benches down by the lake.  We had just enough beach area to sit on the bank while the boys played in the water.  The bath house was just down the hill from our spot and it was pretty central to all the sites.  The sunset views were breathtaking and we thoroughly enjoyed our long weekend here.

Campground

We went with friends 10 years ago when they had a pop up camper. It was a lot of fun. Met lots of people and I got hit in the eye ball with a football because I was having a lot of fun. Had a bbq grill to grill burgers steaks whatever you want to grill. You can fish there too. I love the experience I would go back. It’s far from me now.

The perfect view

Lucked out with a great site for two nights of Spring Break. No easy way down to the water from site 49, but it sure was pretty. Photos and details on the link.

August 2018 - OK park but Fire Ant infestation

It's a really great park. We stayed in the rustic tent site T8, and was quite surprised it had a water spicket (faucet) for easy water access. (Something we may have overlooked as a site feature, as it was our first visit). Our only complaint was the entire campsite was one large fire ant hill! We had to travel to the local dollar general to get ant spray to help with the infestation. We only camp rustic so we're used to bugs but this was insane. Every step we took or every place we sat would soon be swarmed with ants as that's what fire ants do. Once we sprayed the area we were finally able to safely enjoy our campsite. The view was wonderful! Besides the ants it was a fantastic campsite! (BTW I would not recommend hammock camping here as the ants were also on a lot of trees, ropes we had were covered when we took them down) Will provide photos I took off all the rustic sites: T3 - T8

Practically boondocking!

The only amenity is pit toilets. No water, no electric. Only 23 sites, spaced a good distance apart. Each site has a fire pit and picnicking area. Trails nearby. Horses and other pets allowed.

Stayed two nights with three other campers and never heard a sound except for nature. Would return again.

Coneross State Park

Hubby and I spent a weekend October 2018 at this beautiful place. Our campsite was right by the water and very spacious. The site has electric and water hookups. Bring your boat, you can pull right up to your campsite. There is a nice beach area for swimming and playground for the kids. The campground doesn’t offer much in way of amenities, but you’ll forget about that once you set up camp and relax by the campfire, roasting a s’more while watching the sun set over the lake.

Beautiful sites, right on the lake

This is a beautiful park. All of Georgia’s state parks are nice, this is one of the nicest. Most sites are right on the lake. It’s very popular in summer and reservations are necessary. When we were there there was a heated dispute between two families over who had reserved a site! Great swimming and fishing! Full hookups, dump station!

Very nice

Spacious campspots,beautiful lake

Lake Retreat

Most of the sites have water access. We stayed on 83 which was on a quiet cove. No view of the lake but easy canoe or kayak access. One bathhouse for our loop but never anyone in there and the campground was full. Our loop had larger sites than the main loop with the boat ramp. Most boats where docked right at the campsite. Very large park with many walking trails. Very nice camp hosts that maintained the sites very nicely. Take a walk to the walk in sites as you will see some beautiful views. I liked site 4 and then 2 of the walk ins. Both have a trail right to the beach. All walk in sites were nice. We took a drive to Thomson and did some antiquing in some quirky shops that were very friendly. We drove over to Winfield Campground which is a beautiful campground as well and is cheaper because it is an army corps of engineers campground. I would recommend either campground. The pictures are of our campsite (83) and then the ones we liked best. I have 73 as my #1 choice but we don’t have a motor boat (only canoe and kayak) and my husband thinks that site should go to someone with a motor boat. That leaves 82 as our first choice as we can still launch the canoe and kayak from that site. We have been told by everyone we have met for 3 years to go to Mistletoe and we were not disappointed.

Great sites!

We stayed on one of the platform sites for the trip, but walking around we found that nearly all of the sites look great!

The playground is big, but the kids MOST enjoyed the “rock slide” in the creek. We spent most of the day there, and the weather (late August) was perfect!

Staff and camp hosts were very helpful (and we were able to buy wood and ice from the host when we arrived late). Restrooms were a bit of a walk and I saw them being maintained regularly.

Quiet and clean

The kids and I stayed here for a weekend (mid March) to try out our new camper. We got a waterfront site and it was gorgeous! Not as big as some places we have been, but large enough. Some of the non-waterfront sites appeared to be MUCH smaller.

The restrooms in our area were spotless and cleaned multiple times per day. My son said the ones near the beach area had a few spider webs, but considering it wasn’t even remotely warm yet, they probably weren’t being maintained as often as the campground ones just yet.

Staff was friendly and helpful, fishing was so-so (from the back of our campsite, anyway, and probably moreso due to our lack of skill than actual fish quantity). They have recently repaved the roads and it was very easy to get around. There are two playgrounds: a larger one by the beach and a smaller one in the campground area (which also has a huge field).

Our spot was level left to right but had a slight slope front to back.

Can’t beat it for the price

$10 bucks a night, sites spaced far enough apart to be comfortable, waterfront, not over crowded. I think it is worth the drive over some of the more crowded places. Each site has a pick nick table and fire ring, a few had charcoal grills on stands but not all. First come first serve, bring exact money because it’s just a drop box. It’s primitive camping so bring your own water, no electricity. No trash dumpster either so be prepared to pack if out . Cell service was spotty on Verizon but I was able to get and receive calls and a few txts although they seemed very delayed .

September Camper

I've been here twice and enjoyed both my stays. The bathrooms are clean. The sites are clean. The hosts are very friendly. It's quiet during the week. On the weekends it can be a little noisy but not a bad noisy. Mainly kids squealing laughing and just being kids. I would definitely recommend camping here.

Great campground!

Nice roomy sites with plenty of space between. Picnic tables, grills and fire rings at each campsite. Bathrooms aren’t bad. Friendly caretakers. Pets allowed. Playground and beaches. Fish cleaning station. Boat ramp. Dump station.

Family campout

Awesome beach area, great playground for kids. Kayak & paddleboard rentals. Decent pricing for campsites

Spring campout

Very clean facility, awesome cope course

Scout camp ground

We have camped here once so I have not seen the whole park. Be the group Primitive area is great on the left side of the area. The right side has been over used and the ground has washed and the only place to Pitch a tent is on camping pads that are on the small size for a large groups. But all in all the park is well Kept and Bathhouse well Maintain. The park is Very beautiful. Great for large groups.

Great camp ground

This park has a great group camp sites. We have taken are cub scouts and Boy Scout troop here many times. The RV camp ground has too side a larger side which is newer and an older side. The older of the RV camp site is a little Tight but can 1 get a 40ft trailer in with no problem. The new side has Plenty of room for large RV. Bath houses are clean and well Maintain. Staff is great to work with. Bring your fishing rod Plenty of fishing. There is also a great swimming area and playgrounds.

Great place to take scouts and RV camp

I have been here two times. First time with scout troop and then RV camping. The group camping area is Huge and has its own picnic shelters and bath rooms . The Rv sites were clean and well Maintain. The park is beautiful and very large. You feel like you are in A secluded area not like some parks right up on top of each other. Staff is Amazing and very helpful. I definitely will be back.

Clean, friendly and quiet.

Great hiking trails. Beautiful covered bridge.

alright

its a good place to stay for a few days a lot to see and beautiful views.

Would be better with more lake

Mistletoe State Park is just outside of Augusta, GA. It’s on Lake Strom Thurmond, which is good for fishing and boating. The campground was nice, with level sites, and clean showers and bathrooms. When we were there the lake was very low, so the water activity was limited. It is close enough to Augusta for dining and shopping if you need that.

Beautiful & quiet

Most every site is on the water and a big discount for seniors with a Golden Eagle National Park Pass.

Waterfront

Great lakeside camping. Very clean, very quiet.

Nearby equestrian trails

It is a very family friendly site that is always a favorite. The lake isn’t the cleanest but it’s great for boating, kayaking, and paddle boarding. The biggest plus for me is that it is a short distance from Fants Grove and T Ed Garrison arena. During rodeos held at the Garrison arena we often take breaks to Fants Grove for the wonderful horse friendly trails on Lake Hartwell. As far as I know no facility offers over night horse boarding at this site which is a shame.

Paradise in N Georgia

Lowing the away from it all atmosphere of Wildlife, peace and quiet and water. This is your campground.

Dever fishing, nature all in one relaxing place.

Recent upgrades of the loops make parking your RV a breeze.

Lowing this campground and the surrounding town of Lavonia!

Lots of trees and trails. Beach, playground and great boat launches.

Great spot

My family and I really enjoyed our stay here. We did go late spring, so it was a bit chilly at night. We decided to tent camp instead of bringing our RV. Honestly, this time of year I really wish we would have brought the RV. I didn't really sleep well because it was 1. cold and 2. it is close to the highway so we could hear cars and trucks driving by at night. Maybe we just picked the wrong campsite. I would advise you to pick a campsite that is the farthest away from the road. The campground is very easy to find, and the road is well maintained. The people at the check in station were very nice and helpful. Due to a change in campsite when we arrived, they actually gave us a discount so it was cheaper than normal. They also gave us some of the best recommendations for hikes nearby. We really enjoyed getting good feedback from them. We did look online beforehand for hikes, but it was nice to get someone else's opinion. The hiking was awesome! We went early in the morning to beat any sort of hiking rush. We enjoyed being on the top of the mountain by ourselves, sipping coffee and hot chocolate. The leaves and trees were beautiful, changing back to green and getting ready for the summertime. Beautiful flowers were blooming, and I couldn't stop taking pictures! The campground was good as well, although the spots were a bit small- however each campsite was divided by shrubs and trees so you didn't feel like you were right on top of your neighbor. Also, because we went in the spring we didn't think it was very busy. I am sure it is crazy busy during the summer because of all the wonderful hikes nearby. I would like to visit this place again in the summer!

Great views

Enjoyed our site. Camped next to relatives and had the perfect swimming area between us. Planned on fishing but never got around to it since we spent most of our time inthe water. Bathrooms were veryclean and staff at office very friendly.

Quiet spot and a simple campsite

Bussey Point is primarily for equestrians. The campsites have pre-installed horse hitches and plenty of room to move a horse trailer. The sites have a picnic table and a fire pit. The campground has a well for water and an open pit latrine. There's no power which is perfect for camping off grid away from all the trailers.

The campsites are right on the water and the view is beautiful. Over the weekend I was the only one here and the only person I spoke to was the volunteer Camp Ranger from the US Army Corps of Engineers.

There is a 12-mile horse trail that goes out on the peninsula and some pack-in or canoe-in campsites out on the peninsula.

Fee per night is on an honor system at $10. I have no complaints about this campsite only about the other campers that leave their trash behind.

I recommend this campground if you're looking to get away from all the people especially the crowds at the more popular campsites at the state parks, and if you're fine with more primitive camping that doesn't involve daily showers.