Fires Unknown
Pets Unknown
Water Unknown
About Mount Hood National Forest Lower Eightmile Crossing Campground

The is a small campground (3 sites) located along Eightmile Creek.

National Forest
Hike In
Mount Hood National Forest Lower Eightmile Crossing Campground is located in Oregon
Directions
From Dufur, take Forest Road 44 west about 15 miles, then north 1 mile on Forest Road 4440.
2 Reviews of Mount Hood National Forest Lower Eightmile Crossing Campground
Good last minute Campground

If you’re on the Eastside of Mt Hood this is a good campground to head too, if you like primitive and remote. The campground is a lot bigger than I thought it would be, I think there’s 21 sites. Not a lot happening. I was shocked it’s $21 to camp, thought it would be cheaper. There’s several day use spots in the campground too, for $5 (or free if the NW Forest Pass). Hiking trails nearby, that’s why I was there.

Open Yet Intimate Feel

We were staying at Eightmile Crossing Campground, so I came down the half-mile trail to walk around Lower Eightmile for a bit. I think it might reach 4-star status if there wasn't a lot of traffic down the dirt road the 2-3 campsites are along, or you didn't get the airplane noise like you do at Eightmile Crossing, but I didn't stay overnight to find out. No traffic or traffic noise during the 30 minutes I was there, though. Fantastic trees/greenery and a healthy stream, plus wide-open spaces and a wide road make for great star-gazing opportunities. Don't forget about the nearby Bald Butte hike, a tougher but relatively off-the-map route ending with humongous views.